4 (44.4%)
$100 - $200
1 (11.1%)
$200 - $300
1 (11.1%)
$300 +
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Custom Seat Mounts (updated)  (Read 407 times)

July 05, 2016, 11:22 AM #0

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
So I had some seat mounts made from a guy a friend recommended to me.

Im looking for opinions on how they look/quality/strength, safety.

I will not name who made them as he said he would fix them for me and I will wait till that happens.

Also to be clear, the mount shown in the pictures is not officially the finished form (he intended to round some of the sharper edges, And also paint them black).
Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 12:10 PM by Ctown8
BAASSSSSSS
I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

Top Tier Imports

Custom Seat Mounts (updated)
    « on: July 05, 2016, 11:22 AM »

July 05, 2016, 02:56 PM #1

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 11
    • dan has no influence.
    Correct me if im wrong, but i thought seat rails were actually made from C-Channel for higher strength?  With it being a flat bar like this, you're losing a lot of durability.   

By looking at some of the welds as well, they look to have undercut on some of them.

What kind of steel was this, was it mild, high tensile strength?   

July 05, 2016, 03:55 PM #2

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
      • Reputation Power: 114
      • Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
      Originally posted by dan
      Correct me if im wrong, but i thought seat rails were actually made from C-Channel for higher strength?  With it being a flat bar like this, you're losing a lot of durability.   

By looking at some of the welds as well, they look to have undercut on some of them.

What kind of steel was this, was it mild, high tensile strength?   
      I have no idea, but I've seen lots of rails done in this style, just cleaner usually.
      BAASSSSSSS
      I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
      My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
      Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

July 05, 2016, 06:35 PM #3

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 11
        • dan has no influence.
        Originally posted by Ctown8
        I have no idea, but I've seen lots of rails done in this style, just cleaner usually.
        Well, if i were you i would check for undercut on the welds.  This is what will greatly make the difference of it breaking or it being fine.

Take a pick to the edges of the weld, if you can grab hold of the original material, there's not enough weld material to strengthen the joint.  it may break under pressure.  If there's very little to none of this, you're golden.  If you have a fair bit, i would ask him to grind it down and reweld that area.

The only reason i'm super picky about this, you're putting your life at risk.

July 06, 2016, 08:07 PM #4

Jbrar Offline

• Reputation Power: 2
          • Jbrar has no influence.
          I'm not a welder by trade, but I do tig my own stuff for fun and was fortunate as an engineering student to watch and work alongside a bunch of experienced welders. So here's my constructive criticism:

There's quite a bit of undercut and sections where he's just burned through the metal. The mounting tab in picture 2 (the one that sticks up and has a slight angle) is where i'd be most concerned with. It looks like a good start, but it also looks like the welder is still learning to control his machine. There's no shame in reworking it or scrapping it and making v2.

Also the welder needs to do a better job of cleaning up the surfaces before laying those welds down.

Top Tier Imports

Custom Seat Mounts
            « Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 08:07 PM »