Author Topic: The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick  (Read 4949 times)

July 21, 2016, 03:26 PM #0

#StreetFocus Online

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.

=SPECS=
1974 Ford Maverick
250 CI straight 6, 3 speed auto
White exterior, light blue interior

=PLANS=
Re-dp brake system so it actually stops
Change bumpers
Satin white paint, black hood stripes
Wheels (undecided as to what yet, but they will change)

=PICTURES=

Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:39 PM by #StreetFocus

Top Tier Imports

The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick
    « on: July 21, 2016, 03:26 PM »

July 21, 2016, 04:16 PM #1

JonnyAE86 Offline

• Vehicle: 84 Corolla, 2011 Ford Escape
    • Reputation Power: 24
    • JonnyAE86 barely matters.JonnyAE86 barely matters.
    sub'd

And damn, the diamonds would have looked really good on this car.

Wicked find though, looking forward to seeing it progress!

July 21, 2016, 04:25 PM #2

#StreetFocus Online

• #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
      Originally posted by JonnyAE86
      sub'd

And damn, the diamonds would have looked really good on this car.

Wicked find though, looking forward to seeing it progress!

I know, they would have been perfect! the rears would have stuck out a bit, but nothing fenders flares wont fix! which I might do regardless and run some wide 10's

July 21, 2016, 06:31 PM #3

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
        • Reputation Power: 19
        • cluelessk has no influence.
        302 swap
        [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

July 21, 2016, 06:36 PM #4

#StreetFocus Online

Originally posted by cluelessk
          302 swap

It's quite possible. I have a 302 i want to rebuild that's sitting in our 72 Torino. Would be a perfect candidate.
          for the first few stages of this project it will retain it's 250 though. it runs pretty well i'll leave it till I get the 302 all done up nicely.

July 21, 2016, 06:37 PM #5

benz88 Offline

• Reputation Power: 61
            • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
            Can you swap the suspension with the Mustang 2 stuff?  these are neat
            '91 240sx Hatch
            '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
            '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
            '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
            '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

July 21, 2016, 06:49 PM #6

#StreetFocus Online

There are a few companies out there that have either mustang II swap kits, or custom kits which I will eventually end up doing with coil overs. Thats not happening anytime soon though. There's a decent aftermarket for them, 7 year production run, and they share a lot of things with the mercury comet from the 70's as well.I've been eyeballing this beautiful piece (click). Seems like the way to go from what I've been reading.

i never really thought of doing a maverick. But the more I looked at them and read up about the I figured hell, this would be perfect for what I want. It looks great, not incredibly hard to find parts, easy to work on. So yeah, should be a fun little project.
              Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:52 PM by #StreetFocus

July 21, 2016, 07:35 PM #7

benz88 Offline

• benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                maybe check into the 03+ CrownVic/grand maquis and Towncar front clips. http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gallery/tmp/183/183849.520.390 Lots use them for swaps too
                '91 240sx Hatch

July 21, 2016, 07:43 PM #8

#StreetFocus Online

Thanks for the heads up. Something to look into for sure.
                  although it's kinda fun being so floaty haha. its like driving on water.

July 24, 2016, 12:03 AM #9

#StreetFocus Online

So I got the car home today. It did pretty great on the highway. Little loose in the suspension/steering but overall a successful journey.

Once home I got the interior all cleaned. Vacuumed and shampoo'd the carpets etc. Interior is super minty. Trunk had less rust than expected once I got the carpet out.

Tomorrow im going to look into a fuel issue I have when doing sharp-ish turns. Thinking possibly the float level is off. And if the weather is half decent I may start sanding down the body as well.

July 25, 2016, 03:24 PM #10

#StreetFocus Online

so after googling a few ideas I had for paint on this thing, I think i've decided to go with a Grabber style paint job (grabber was the 302 V8 trim version of the Maverick)

something like this. Looks really nice imo and isnt too busy, yet has enough going on to make it really stand out.

Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:50 PM by #StreetFocus

July 25, 2016, 03:53 PM #11

#StreetFocus Online

some post-interior cleaning pictures

The carpets are in really really good shape.

the trunk is in better shape than I though as well. It was a mess full of junk and stuff when I opened it up. a bonus is the full set of shop manuals for the 1974 model year. Pretty stoked about those being in there. I have some awesome reading material now.

here it as, as I opened it for the first time after getting it home.

Here it is all cleaned up, carpet out and everything. some minor rust holes on the edge there, but really overall it's not as bad as I was expecting it to be.

and the beautiful manuals :D

couple engine shots.

Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:50 PM by #StreetFocus

July 25, 2016, 03:55 PM #12

#StreetFocus Online

only real drivability issue right now is the car wants to stall out if I take a corner too fast. Going to dig into the carb this weekend maybe if I have time. right now my first guess is the float level isn't quite right. also going to start sanding it down this weekend weather permitting. lets see how much body filler I can find :lol:

July 25, 2016, 08:23 PM #13

#StreetFocus Online

have decided on what wheels to run, going to go with 17" FR500 wheels. 90% sure in the anthracite color 17x9 up front, and likely 17x10.5 out back.

these will be what I start saving up for next I guess!

Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:49 PM by #StreetFocus

July 25, 2016, 10:45 PM #14

#StreetFocus Online

Just had another idea, I think I'll toss the projectors from my old focus into the Maverick. Blackout the headlights and toss in the projectors. I think that's a great idea.

July 26, 2016, 03:49 PM #15

#StreetFocus Online

Just ordered up a Pertronix electric ignition to swap in to get rid of the points ignition. cheap easy and a good upgrade.

July 26, 2016, 08:33 PM #16

benz88 Offline

[/img]

'91 240sx Hatch

July 26, 2016, 10:32 PM #17

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                                    • Reputation Power: 91
                                    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                                    Most definitely shaved / deleted bumpers. I like how the green looks, but an oem white / cream could look good as well. Given its already white ish, could be an easier route to take especially if you just want to do a quick paint without doing the jambs, etc. do up the steelies with that paint in the same fashion as your front left wheel and set it as Version 1
                                    Current Forester count: 1
                                    New business opening soon...

July 26, 2016, 10:37 PM #18

#StreetFocus Online

original color was actually a light blue haha. someone spray bombed it (quite badly) with white. has runs all over it. I'll probably do a cheap spray gun job on it for now as a version 1. with a professional paint job further down the line.

as for the wheels, I wish I had all 4 hubcaps like the front right does in the pictures, but I only have 3. Might grab a cheap set of steelies in better shape to run for now. or maybe just spray the current steelies a gloss black.

the 71/72 bumpers (as benz posted) are definitely much better looking. If I can source the parts needed for the swap I will be going that route. if not, i'll figure something custom out. the stockers are definitely going though.

July 28, 2016, 01:35 PM #19

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                                        • Reputation Power: 120
                                        • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                                        Ii have some white vinyl that we may be able to use!
                                        BAASSSSSSS
                                        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                                        Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

July 28, 2016, 03:10 PM #20

#StreetFocus Online

Originally posted by Ctown8
                                          Ii have some white vinyl that we may be able to use!

as in exterior vinyl wrap? If so, I was actually thinking about going that route.

July 28, 2016, 04:10 PM #21

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                                            • Reputation Power: 120
                                            • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                                            Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                                            as in exterior vinyl wrap? If so, I was actually thinking about going that route.
                                            No as in automotive vinyl (amp racks, dashes, interior panels, etc)
                                            BAASSSSSSS
                                            I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                            My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                                            Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

July 28, 2016, 04:13 PM #22

#StreetFocus Online

Originally posted by Ctown8
                                              No as in automotive vinyl (amp racks, dashes, interior panels, etc)

probably out of my price range to swap out the entire interior right now haha.

July 31, 2016, 02:53 PM #23

#StreetFocus Online

Getting them big ass bumpers off. going to be doing the small bumper swap.

July 31, 2016, 09:31 PM #24

#StreetFocus Online

ripped the muffler off for fun. going to be redoing the exhaust eventually though.

Top Tier Imports

The Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick
                                                    « Reply #24 on: July 31, 2016, 09:31 PM »