Author Topic: The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick  (Read 4962 times)

February 28, 2017, 11:22 PM #75

#StreetFocus Online

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
Originally posted by Ctown8
Holy starter mofo, could you put it beside a pop can for scale please??

Gatorade bottle will have to do, all I had haha.

Top Tier Imports

The Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick
    « Reply #75 on: February 28, 2017, 11:22 PM »

March 01, 2017, 09:05 AM #76

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 120
    • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
    fkin heck, motor swap with that starter, youll have more power!
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

March 01, 2017, 11:51 AM #77

#StreetFocus Online

• #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
       :lol: you're probably not wrong

March 17, 2017, 06:30 PM #78

#StreetFocus Online

quick update.

Got a bunch of things replaced a few weekends ago, starter, battery cables and what not. Fired right the fook up! have some carb tuning to do, the choke plate is sticking and is calibrated wrong but once I get that squared away I should be driving this thing around again.

Going to bolt those bumper pieces I have on as is. screw painting them white.

March 20, 2017, 08:17 PM #79

#StreetFocus Online

played around with the carb to get the car to actually run when cold.

March 24, 2017, 10:31 PM #80

#StreetFocus Online

Picked up a tach this week to install. will be nice to have so I can fine tune the idle screws. also got a vacuum gauge to fine tune the idle mixture screw.
            getting this thing dialed.

March 27, 2017, 03:15 PM #81

#StreetFocus Online

So I got the maverick out of the backyard this weekend and back in the driveway.
              Also got the tach installed.

April 10, 2017, 03:20 PM #82

#StreetFocus Online

So I got the small bumper valances on. Just need the actual bumpers now. Front mounting got pretty interesting...... without replacing the lower part of the fenders, this was realistically the only way of securing them. but ir works great. And I think it fits the car. since I decided I'm not really going to put any money into making it look good, and focus on how it runs and drives instead this kinda fits.

but you can make your own conclusions lol

test fit it, figured out stock mounting wasn't going to work thanks to rusted out bottom fenders.

so I went and got some sheet metal and cut out some rectangles.

and of course used self tapping screws to hold it on. Because zip ties just aren't quite strong enough for this job.

and bang. She's solid.

moved the plate down to cover a bit of the space. Might even get away with driving it like this. Still need to find the actual bumper.

rear was really simple. Just toss in self tappers.

April 10, 2017, 03:31 PM #83

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                  Looks good to me (insert mr. deeds meme here)
                  BAASSSSSSS
                  I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                  My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

April 10, 2017, 03:33 PM #84

#StreetFocus Online

Originally posted by Ctown8
                    Looks good to me (insert mr. deeds meme here)

bro do you even vape

April 10, 2017, 03:33 PM #85

Ctown8 Offline

PErfect
                      BAASSSSSSS

April 10, 2017, 03:38 PM #86

#StreetFocus Online

I probably wont even paint it. screw it.

April 24, 2017, 04:14 PM #87

#StreetFocus Online

so I'm having a battery drain issue, not entirely sure what it is so I'm getting a multi meter today and will do an amp draw test to see which circuit is drawing power. I know the battery is good so it's something else. there's barely any fuses and wiring with this car so it shouldn't be hard to find what's drawing power. Alternator is charging the battery. I can boost it and drive around for a while and it charges the battery up just fine. after an hour the volts are down to around 10. sitting overnight it drops dead. not even enough juice for the glove box light.

So I'm going to put the meter inline with the negative terminal once the battery is charged up and start pulling fuses to see what the main draw is and go from there. hoping it's something simple.

April 24, 2017, 04:37 PM #88

#StreetFocus Online

Figured I would toss up a few pictures since i've been driving it around a bit.

LRM_EXPORT_20170421_154109-02 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

LRM_EXPORT_20170421_154457-02 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

April 26, 2017, 04:14 PM #89

#StreetFocus Online

Had a great idea for bumpers. since it's hard to find maverick bumpers and they cost a fortune when they pop up, I figured I'd just get Mustang bumpers and make them work. Did some research and they will physically fit but mounts will have to be modified, not an issue. and it will be a slightly different look up front which I am okay with. They also cost A LOT less. i'm talking both front and rear brand new condition with all new mounting hardware for less than a beat up front only maverick bumper.

How they look.

Mustang:

Maverick:

so you can see it's a bit differently shaped, but width is the same so I can make it work. Much cheaper so I can get it done a lot sooner and get this thing registered again finally. the rear is nearly identical as well so that's even better.

May 02, 2017, 09:20 PM #90

#StreetFocus Online

Alrighty updoot time.

Found what was draining my battery, was a Trunk light stuck on, switch must be a little dickered. Just pulled the bulb and problem solved. Don't need a trunk light anyway lol.

Also installed rear speakers since wires were there, and I had some extras from my focus.

Yup. Zip ties to hold em up. This is the Ratty Mav afterall.

And to go with those I needed a new head unit because the one it had was junk and didn't work. Off to Brian Reimer.

Was hoping the plug would be the same since they were both pioneer but the new one was reverse vs the old one so I had to rewire it. Not a huge problem, took an extra ten minutes.

Old vs new. New on top.

And bang. She's golden. I love having the Bluetooth option now. No messy cables when I use my phone for music.

Thanks to @Ctown8 for the killer deal on that!

May 03, 2017, 12:35 PM #91

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                                  Alrighty updoot time.

Found what was draining my battery, was a Trunk light stuck on, switch must be a little dickered. Just pulled the bulb and problem solved. Don't need a trunk light anyway lol.

Also installed rear speakers since wires were there, and I had some extras from my focus.

Yup. Zip ties to hold em up. This is the Ratty Mav afterall.

And to go with those I needed a new head unit because the one it had was junk and didn't work. Off to Brian Reimer.

Was hoping the plug would be the same since they were both pioneer but the new one was reverse vs the old one so I had to rewire it. Not a huge problem, took an extra ten minutes.

Old vs new. New on top.

And bang. She's golden. I love having the Bluetooth option now. No messy cables when I use my phone for music.

Thanks to @Ctown8 for the killer deal on that!

Looks great, hows it sound?
                                  BAASSSSSSS

May 03, 2017, 01:21 PM #92

#StreetFocus Online

Sounds pretty dang good for what it is and how the speakers are mounted lmao. Surprisingly no rattles yet, I'm sure that will change. Much nicer overall though.

May 04, 2017, 03:43 PM #93

#StreetFocus Online

Stopped being lazy and finally fine tuned the carb. Old cars ftw. Vacuum gauge and a screw driver is all ya need to tune the thing.

May 04, 2017, 05:43 PM #94

Ctown8 Offline

Stopped being lazy and finally fine tuned the carb. Old cars ftw. Vacuum gauge and a screw driver is all ya need to tune the thing.

why not just add boost
                                        BAASSSSSSS

May 04, 2017, 08:24 PM #95

#StreetFocus Online

I mean I could. Could get a blowthrough carb and toss a turbo on there. But if that happens I'll have to do a ton of other stuff lol. Would need a new head, stronger rear end, etc. Sounds like too much work lol.

Just ordered a few more odds and ends to get the basics going. Washer fluid pump, some new belts, **** like that.

May 07, 2017, 12:56 AM #96

#StreetFocus Online

Had some spare time today so I figured it was a good time to fix some rocker rust.

went and got some scrap metal I had and cut out a piece, bent it, and tack welded it into place. welds aint pretty at all, but it's on there solid. really not the right welder, or wire for the job but it got er done. fits the look of the car im going for, got rid of the rust and strengthened it up. win win win.

It aint stupid if it works.

#RattyMav

Screenshot_2017-05-06-19-18-49-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

20170506_191649_HDR-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

LRM_EXPORT_20170506_200205-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

LRM_EXPORT_20170506_200431-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

May 07, 2017, 01:27 PM #97

Madbuzz41 Online

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                              • Reputation Power: 10
                                              • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                              I mean I could. Could get a blowthrough carb and toss a turbo on there. But if that happens I'll have to do a ton of other stuff lol. Would need a new head, stronger rear end, etc. Sounds like too much work lol.

Junkyard LS motor with big turbo. Turbo 400 or power glide trans and Dana 60 rear end. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 07, 2017, 02:47 PM #98

#StreetFocus Online

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                                Junkyard LS motor with big turbo. Turbo 400 or power glide trans and Dana 60 rear end. Problem solved.

Are you gonna donate it all haha

May 07, 2017, 05:07 PM #99

Madbuzz41 Online

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                                  • Reputation Power: 10
                                                  • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                                  Are you gonna donate it all haha

Nope. If I had that laying around it would be in a car and I'd be murdering cars on the streets

Top Tier Imports

The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick
                                                    « Reply #99 on: May 07, 2017, 05:07 PM »