Author Topic: The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick  (Read 4760 times)

May 08, 2017, 11:44 AM #100

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
  • Reputation Power: 369
  • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
what are u gonna do to keep that from rusting???

Top Tier Imports

The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick
    « Reply #100 on: May 08, 2017, 11:44 AM »

May 08, 2017, 12:18 PM #101

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
    • Reputation Power: 79
    • #StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.
    I put some.sort of anti rust coating on it. Can't remember what it's called.

I got it from a guy I know that does all kinds of metal work. He said it will keep it from rusting. It's some sort of special clear coat made for bare metal. No idea. We'll see if it works. It should, he leaves **** outside all the time and it never rusts.

May 08, 2017, 12:41 PM #102

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
      • Reputation Power: 369
      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by #StreetFocus
      I put some.sort of anti rust coating on it. Can't remember what it's called.

I got it from a guy I know that does all kinds of metal work. He said it will keep it from rusting. It's some sort of special clear coat made for bare metal. No idea. We'll see if it works. It should, he leaves **** outside all the time and it never rusts.
      ahh okay, so the clear is right over the metal and welds, neat

May 08, 2017, 12:49 PM #103

#StreetFocus Offline

• #StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.#StreetFocus has a powerful will.
        Originally posted by Shaun
        ahh okay, so the clear is right over the metal and welds, neat

Yup. And I put a crap ton so it should be good. If it does start rusting I'll just paint it I guess.

Noticed a very small amount of coolant on the edge of the block where the head sits. So I'm guessing there's a small head gasket leak. Lol looks fine though so it's probably just the outside. Not going to worry about that right now.

There's a company making a new head for my engine that I'm thinking about getting so I'm not gonna touch it till I decide if I want that or not.

May 16, 2017, 05:53 PM #104

#StreetFocus Offline

Good news that anti rust coating works like a charm. Not a spec of rust after a few rains now even on the bare metal so I'm happy with that.

Ended up finding someone willing to sell me more bumper conversion stuff for a great deal. So I've got those on the way. Last piece I need is the actual rear bumper but I've got a line on one.

Rear bumper trim pieces, these go above the bumper. Mine are much longer since I had the ugly bumpers

And front bumper, bumper filler piece, license plate bracket and one mount. I'll have to fab up a second mount, guy couldn't find the other one. No biggie.

Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:57 PM by #StreetFocus

May 26, 2017, 08:37 AM #105

#StreetFocus Offline

Bumper stuff got to Winnipeg yesterday. Had Runnin red pick it up at the border.

Install this weekend hopefully.

May 28, 2017, 07:49 PM #106

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 18
              • cluelessk has no influence.
              Bumper stuff got to Winnipeg yesterday. Had Runnin red pick it up at the border.

Install this weekend hopefully.

How'd the process with Runnin Red work?
              [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

May 28, 2017, 08:23 PM #107

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by cluelessk
                How'd the process with Runnin Red work?
                They're great. This is the second time I've used 'em.

Send them the info, weight, etc they send you an invoice and that's it. Go pick it up a day or two later.

June 06, 2017, 10:40 AM #108

#StreetFocus Offline

Rear bumper is at the border. Real close to having this thing ready. Also started making my new grille. About half done it.

No pics yet, sorry.

July 01, 2017, 01:04 PM #109

#StreetFocus Offline

Alrighty, Update time since a few things have happened.

I finally finished my small bumper swap, the big bumpers came off the second weekend I had the car (around a year ago) and i've been driving it around locally without bumpers while I waited to get a set of small bumpers off an earlier year car. These are hard to find for a good price, but after a long time of waiting and looking all over, I came up with a pretty decent set of bumpers.

The front actually showed up first in may, but I had no brackets for it and was still trying to hunt down a set of those, so the rear ended up going on first as the one I found came with brackets.

some shots of the rear installed.

Then last week I finally got front brackets in, and was able to slap the front bumper on last night. so the small bumper swap is complete!

Painted the rear blue / white striped valance solid white today as well, the front I might paint as well, we'll see.

and here's a before and after. big bumper vs small bumper.

I also started working on a new grill, progress is slow on this because I got so much stuff going on, and the car already has a grill so this isnt a priority, but the shell is done. just need to make brackets and fill in the open space with expanded metal.

July 05, 2017, 11:10 AM #110

#StreetFocus Offline

Muffler showed up today, hopefully I have time tonight to toss it on. Not sure how much quieter it will make it, hopefully enough.

July 09, 2017, 11:33 PM #111

#StreetFocus Offline

Painted the valance white. mucho bettero.

20170709_210439_HDR-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

20170709_210423_HDR-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

20170709_211804_HDR-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

July 10, 2017, 10:15 AM #112

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                          • Reputation Power: 117
                          • Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
                          Looking really good! Bring this thing to a meet already!
                          BAASSSSSSS
                          I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                          My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                          Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

July 10, 2017, 10:30 AM #113

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by Ctown8
                            Looking really good! Bring this thing to a meet already!
                            Lol thanks. It doesn't look as nice in person.

We'll see how much the muffler quiets it down, I wanna do a drive to Lockport one of these days. Been too long since I've been there. I'll keep my eye out for one of those.

July 10, 2017, 11:03 AM #114

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                              • Reputation Power: 196
                              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                              Looks good.
                              Needs moar ratty though
                              Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

July 10, 2017, 12:50 PM #115

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                Looks good.
                                Needs moar ratty though
                                Yeah I can't really call it ratty anymore now that I painted it all to match. Its still pretty rough, just doesn't look like till you're up close lol.

She's good from far, but far from good.

July 13, 2017, 10:45 AM #116

#StreetFocus Offline

So I got the muffler on, i expected it to still be loud but not quite as loud as it still is. so I picked up a cheap thrush turbo to toss into the mix. Why not, see what it does anyways.

July 13, 2017, 11:43 PM #117

#StreetFocus Offline

it's a little quieter now. Quite tolerable.

July 16, 2017, 08:18 PM #118

#StreetFocus Offline

@Madbuzz41 happy? lol

actually had the bracket, just didnt realize it was in my shed. derp.

20170716_194207_HDR-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

July 16, 2017, 08:49 PM #119

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                        • Reputation Power: 10
                                        • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                        @Madbuzz41 happy? lol

actually had the bracket, just didnt realize it was in my shed. derp.

20170716_194207_HDR-01 by Jarrett Rathert, on Flickr

Looks 10x better! Now if you want to finish it off put a cover on it so it has a nice black border ;) haha ! But it looks good. Can't wait to see it one day in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

July 17, 2017, 11:31 AM #120

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                          Looks 10x better! Now if you want to finish it off put a cover on it so it has a nice black border ;) haha ! But it looks good. Can't wait to see it one day in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                          Does look better for sure.

Now I just need custom plates.

July 18, 2017, 09:00 AM #121

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 11
                                            • dan has no influence.
                                            The back bumper supports... It may be just me, but are they totally rusted through? 

July 18, 2017, 02:42 PM #122

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by dan
                                              The back bumper supports... It may be just me, but are they totally rusted through?
                                              The old ones were. New ones are good.

Top Tier Imports

The Ratty Mav - 1974 Ford Maverick
                                                « Reply #122 on: July 18, 2017, 02:42 PM »