Author Topic: Re-Pinning Electrical Sockets  (Read 1124 times)

August 29, 2016, 09:58 AM #0

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
  • Reputation Power: 193
  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
Is anyone here familiar with re-pinning factory electrical sockets? I received a set of headlights that has a 194 bulb socket to light up the housing, however, the seller decided to chop the wires right at the connector as seen below:

I really just need these wires extended, so I can connect them to the vehicle, so re-pinning seems like the best solution.

If anyone would be able to offer advice/assistance doing this, that would be awesome, as I'm not to familiar with electrical things.

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

Top Tier Imports

Re-Pinning Electrical Sockets
    « on: August 29, 2016, 09:58 AM »

August 29, 2016, 12:38 PM #1

dangelkovski2 Offline

• Reputation Power: 1
    • dangelkovski2 has no influence.
    I know there is a tool for this. Pretty sure you can just pick it up at princess auto for cheap use it than return it. Also contact Al and see if he would have a couple mins to swap it out for you.

August 29, 2016, 12:44 PM #2

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
      • Reputation Power: 95
      • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
      The front of the connector likely has a plastic surround around the pin terminals. Pop that off. Then the two wire terminals will be more visible, likely a metal or plastic tab just needs to be relieved and the pin will slid right out the wire end.

A straight pick will likely be the easiest tool to use. I have the terminal tools, but usually end up finding a pick easier and faster to use.

August 29, 2016, 01:05 PM #3

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by Winter Beater
        The front of the connector likely has a plastic surround around the pin terminals. Pop that off. Then the two wire terminals will be more visible, likely a metal or plastic tab just needs to be relieved and the pin will slid right out the wire end.

A straight pick will likely be the easiest tool to use. I have the terminal tools, but usually end up finding a pick easier and faster to use.

Awesome thanks.
        Once its removed, can a new wire just be crimped in its place? Or does the terminal need to be replaced?

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

August 29, 2016, 03:48 PM #4

Winter Beater Offline

• Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
          If you're careful you can very likely un-crimp the old wire and crimp a new one on with a pair of needle nose pliers. A dab of solder wouldn't hurt things either.

August 31, 2016, 12:38 PM #5

jordisonjr Offline

Originally posted by Winter Beater
            If you're careful you can very likely un-crimp the old wire and crimp a new one on with a pair of needle nose pliers. A dab of solder wouldn't hurt things either.

this is the inside of the plug. Its got that little white pieces that slides in and out, but thats about it. Tried with a  flat head to pry within those terminals up and down, but can't manage to get the wires free on the other end.

I also didn't want to use too much force as to break them

@winter beater

August 31, 2016, 04:39 PM #6

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
              • Reputation Power: 236
              • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by jordisonjr

this is the inside of the plug. Its got that little white pieces that slides in and out, but thats about it. Tried with a  flat head to pry within those terminals up and down, but can't manage to get the wires free on the other end.

I also didn't want to use too much force as to break them

@winter beater

Those terminals usually have a little tab on the backside of them to hold them in the plastic piece. you'll need to get a pick or small flat head and try to pry it out of the plastic so you can pull it out.
              2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
              2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

September 06, 2016, 03:16 PM #7

Winter Beater Offline

That white plastic piece likely comes right out. Then with a straight pick you should be able to pop the tab to slide each individual pin out.

September 09, 2016, 04:20 PM #8

Earthworm Offline

• Vehicle: 1993 Subaru SVX
                  • Reputation Power: 2
                  • Earthworm has no influence.
                  A little late but the tool you need to remove pins from connectors looks like this:
                  http://12v.org/urs/T55ECUConnectorWithBlackCoverRemoved.jpg

September 09, 2016, 06:19 PM #9

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                    • Reputation Power: 19
                    • cluelessk has no influence.
                    They're probably dirt cheap from a wrecker. Even new I don't think they're much
                    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 09, 2016, 06:56 PM #10

jordisonjr Offline

I couldn't find them at the wrecker.
                      None that I went to had Celicas ( to no surprise ). It's apparently s common Toyota plug however I was unable to find one. Ended up soldering on to this one and making it work

September 28, 2016, 07:16 PM #11

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                        • Reputation Power: 42
                        • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                        I probably have a few of those.
                        I'll take a look next time I'm digging in the bin. 
                        How long do you need the leads to be.
                        D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                        04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                        Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                        http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

September 29, 2016, 08:30 AM #12

jordisonjr Offline

Originally posted by Joe
                          I probably have a few of those.
                          I'll take a look next time I'm digging in the bin. 
                          How long do you need the leads to be.
                          I actually managed to sort it out. But I appreciate the reply. I ended up Soldering on to the existing wire and it seemed to be sturdy enough. Its only for accent bulbs so not super important.

If you do have an extra set though, I wouldn't turn them down. Leads only have to be inch of 2 min, enough to splice on/extend the wire.

Top Tier Imports

Re-Pinning Electrical Sockets
                            « Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 08:30 AM »