Author Topic: Low-Cost Winter Tires Worth it?  (Read 3087 times)

September 11, 2016, 10:44 PM #25

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • cluelessk has no influence.
Also be sure they clear the calipers. No idea what you drive but some wheels have issues clearing the face of the caliper even with a lower offset.
Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:47 PM by cluelessk
[Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

Top Tier Imports

Low-Cost Winter Tires Worth it?
    « Reply #25 on: September 11, 2016, 10:44 PM »

September 12, 2016, 11:22 AM #26

jon08 Offline

• Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
    • Reputation Power: 29
    • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
    Originally posted by Lou
    @jon08 I like to use this website for tire and wheel fitting information: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=245&aspect=40&diameter=18&wheelwidth=8.5&offset=55&width2=245&aspect2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=35#isPage=1

Based on the site, the setup you found on kijiji will sit almost 1.5 centimetres closer to your fender (stick out) than your current setup. I don't know for sure if this will work on your car or not but I would recommend checking out a Subaru forum like NASIOC as I find they usually have some sort of wheel fitment thread that will tell you what will work for your specific platform.

Another thing you need to check is the center bore. It must be at least the same size as the factory wheels or bigger.

Thanks @Lou @firelizard and @cluelessk  , going to test fit it later this afternoon. Looks like it would work just fine based on the online calculations and some threads on NASIOC. The only concern left is the centerbore, I think the wheel's measurement is at 79.5, my car's centerbore is at 56.1mm.  First time dealing with this kind of issue, will a hubcentric ring do the trick? I don't want my wheels to be lugcentric.

Thanks!
    Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

September 12, 2016, 11:37 AM #27

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Toyota 86
      • Reputation Power: 35
      • Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.
      @jon08 Yes you will need to use hub centric rings to adapt them for your center bore. I have purchased hub rings from @Speed Factor before.

September 12, 2016, 07:58 PM #28

benz88 Offline

• Reputation Power: 65
        • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
        Just ordered a set of GT Champiro Ice pro's actually for a family member
        '91 240sx Hatch
        '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
        '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
        '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
        '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

September 12, 2016, 08:08 PM #29

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
          • Reputation Power: 84
          • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
          come to think of it, after seeing the tread pattern, that may be what I ran on my last car for winters. I'll double check but if they are, I loved em.

September 13, 2016, 09:14 AM #30

jon08 Offline

UPDATE:

I closed a deal with the seller from Kijiji, the blizzaks are almost new (not even used for 1 whole winter). And the +35mm offset works fine.

Now, I have to look for a set of hub centric rings that will fit the rims to a 56.1mm hubs. One thing I did not expect is losing some of those wheel stud's length, how many lug nut turns are considered safe? is the a way for me to extend those studs?

Got both 18x8 wheels and almost new 245/40/18 blizzaks tires for $1000.

Thanks!
            Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 09:18 AM by jon08
            Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

September 13, 2016, 09:23 AM #31

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
              • Reputation Power: 205
              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by jon08
              UPDATE:

I closed a deal with the seller from Kijiji, the blizzaks are almost new (not even used for 1 whole winter). And the +35mm offset works fine.

Now, I have to look for a set of hub centric rings that will fit the rims to a 56.1mm hubs. One thing I did not expect is losing some of those wheel stud's length, how many lug nut turns are considered safe? is the a way for me to extend those studs?

Got both 18x8 wheels and almost new 245/40/18 blizzaks tires for $1000.

Thanks!
              You can buy hubcentric rings on ebay for cheap, just look for a decent brand. Or you could go to a local shop if oyu want them on soon.

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 13, 2016, 09:36 AM #32

jon08 Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                You can buy hubcentric rings on ebay for cheap, just look for a decent brand. Or you could go to a local shop if oyu want them on soon.

Thanks! I will probably go local, to support... and just because I'm not sure what's decent and what's not in terms of brands. =)

September 13, 2016, 10:06 AM #33

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                  • Reputation Power: 198
                  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                  Why do you need hub centric rings? Can't you just run them without once all the lug nuts are torqued to the correct foot pounds?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

September 13, 2016, 10:30 AM #34

jon08 Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
                    Why do you need hub centric rings? Can't you just run them without once all the lug nuts are torqued to the correct foot pounds?

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but the used wheels that I got has 79.5mm and my centerbore 56.1mm so I need some sort of an adapter for perfect fitment. Lesser vibration and the weight will not be just on the studs.

September 13, 2016, 11:00 AM #35

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 246
                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but the used wheels that I got has 79.5mm and my centerbore 56.1mm so I need some sort of an adapter for perfect fitment. Lesser vibration and the weight will not be just on the studs.

Yes, rings will make sure the wheel is 100% in the proper position however, it is not necessary. As long as you torque your wheels to the proper spec and in the right order the wheel should fall into place properly. Make sure you use lug nuts that have the proper taper for the wheels.
                      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

September 13, 2016, 11:01 AM #36

jon08 Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                        Yes, rings will make sure the wheel is 100% in the proper position however, it is not necessary. As long as you torque your wheels to the proper spec and in the right order the wheel should fall into place properly. Make sure you use lug nuts that have the proper taper for the wheels.
                        Ohhhhhhhh, okay. Noted! Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

September 13, 2016, 11:08 AM #37

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                          • Reputation Power: 246
                          • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                          Ohhhhhhhh, okay. Noted! Thanks guys!

That being said, hubcentric rings are dirt cheap ($10-$15) so you won't be breaking the bank if you find that you need em.
                          2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                          2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

September 13, 2016, 11:48 AM #38

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                            • Reputation Power: 198
                            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                            Originally posted by Igor
                            This.

Another helpful note, if you can find a closed lug nut to run in the winter you won't get salt in the wheel stud threads.

September 13, 2016, 01:34 PM #39

Boyli Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Impreza, 1994 Camry
                              • Reputation Power: 23
                              • Boyli barely matters.Boyli barely matters.
                              Just ordered a set of Kumho I'ZEN KW31 off QuattroTires for pretty cheap. Anybody have any experience with these? Reviews seemed pretty good so I pulled the trigger on them.

December 06, 2016, 05:34 PM #40

Fast Toys Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Lotus Elise
                                • Reputation Power: 4
                                • Fast Toys has no influence.
                                Almost any winter tire will be better than an all season. Winter tires are made of a different compound which allows them to remain soft at lower temperature. An all season tire significantly drops off performance below 7 degree C. All seasons are really 3 season tires as they were never designed to handle true winter conditions. Even the manufacturer of an all season tire will tell you that. Can you get by with them? Yes but you increase your chance of an accident by a large percentage.

Keep in mind the difference between winter tires varies greatly as well. The new generation of ice compound tires will stop considerable shorter than a conventional winter tire. Considering the cost, down time and devaluation of a car involved in an accident, I think winter tires are more than worth their cost. The difference in confidence and control when driving is HUGE. 

When buying USED tires, you better make sure to check the build date code on the tire. Tires will harden regardless of use with age and that will be amplified if they were stored in the sun, outside etc. I would never recommend buying a tire older than 5 years old.  I've seen tires with only a few miles on them that are cracked and rock hard because they sat on a car in the driveway under a tarp for 10 years. The owner was selling them "like new"
                                Fast Toys Performance
                                www.fasttoys.ca

Your online source for performance parts/wheels/tires & more!

Ask about our winter wheel & tire packages as well as car starter and seat heater installs!

ph # 204-955-4896 or email sales@fasttoys.net

December 07, 2016, 10:59 AM #41

FastCrabbie Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Mercedes-AMG C43 Sedan
                                  • Reputation Power: 3
                                  • FastCrabbie has no influence.
                                  Originally posted by Fast Toys
                                  Almost any winter tire will be better than an all season. Winter tires are made of a different compound which allows them to remain soft at lower temperature. An all season tire significantly drops off performance below 7 degree C. All seasons are really 3 season tires as they were never designed to handle true winter conditions. Even the manufacturer of an all season tire will tell you that. Can you get by with them? Yes but you increase your chance of an accident by a large percentage.

Keep in mind the difference between winter tires varies greatly as well. The new generation of ice compound tires will stop considerable shorter than a conventional winter tire. Considering the cost, down time and devaluation of a car involved in an accident, I think winter tires are more than worth their cost. The difference in confidence and control when driving is HUGE. 

When buying USED tires, you better make sure to check the build date code on the tire. Tires will harden regardless of use with age and that will be amplified if they were stored in the sun, outside etc. I would never recommend buying a tire older than 5 years old.  I've seen tires with only a few miles on them that are cracked and rock hard because they sat on a car in the driveway under a tarp for 10 years. The owner was selling them "like new"

Well said Phil!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                  2017 Mercedes-AMG C43 Sedan
                                  2011 MB E550 Sedan, AMG Sport, Custom Exhaust

Top Tier Imports

Low-Cost Winter Tires Worth it?
                                    « Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 10:59 AM »