Author Topic: LF some transmission advice.  (Read 928 times)

September 13, 2016, 06:36 PM #0

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
  • dan has no influence.
So, i'm not totally sure on this issue, but everything points to it.   On my Mazda, i believe ive toasted my release bearing.    Now, i'd be up for the challenge, but i dont have that kind of experience on replacing such an animal.   Can anyone recommend me a shop that they can TRUST on this?  While i'm in there, im also thinking of replacing the clutch.   That being said, i don't think its really needed.

Symptoms - Clutch makes a very light squeak sound coming from the engine bay.   Only happens when engaging the clutch, but also doesn't happen all the time.   Seems very random.    Also, to this point i have 87000 kms on the car, and have yet to do a  transmission fluid change.   Should this be a first on my list as it hasn't been done yet?

Thanks in advance for the help folks.

Top Tier Imports

LF some transmission advice.
    « on: September 13, 2016, 06:36 PM »

September 13, 2016, 07:50 PM #1

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
    • Reputation Power: 194
    • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
    The release bearing on my old 6th gen Honda Civic would make a rattling sound when not engaged. 8th gen Honda Civics' have a known squeak to due with the clutch shift linkage.

Maybe post a video?

September 13, 2016, 07:59 PM #2

dan Offline

• dan has no influence.
      Originally posted by themikewoo
      The release bearing on my old 6th gen Honda Civic would make a rattling sound when not engaged. 8th gen Honda Civics' have a known squeak to due with the clutch shift linkage.

Maybe post a video?
      i will try and get a go pro set up to take a video, hard to do so while driving.   Also looking at some video's of throw out bearings on youtube, it sounds nothing the same in how much nose it is.   its literally just a squeak, or a metal "ting" noise, and i just keep going.   No delay in shifting, no hard shifting... I'm really hoping this isn't what my research has told me, but everything points to it.   Also i found that someone suggested that the pressure plate had a bent plate, but thats not as likely.

September 13, 2016, 08:09 PM #3

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
        • Reputation Power: 246
        • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
        Could be the shift fork. Can try lubing that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
        2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

September 14, 2016, 10:55 AM #4

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
          • Reputation Power: 370
          • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
          upload a video to youtube of the sound and post it here. you would hear a bad bearing when the car is not moving, would you not? it's more of a constant sound rather than just a squeak
          Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:58 AM by Shaun

September 19, 2016, 12:54 PM #5

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
            • Reputation Power: 42
            • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
            You don't say what year or model your car is, but do mention the mileage.  Had a quick look, most 2000-2014 Mazda's had 100,000km powertrain warranty, any reason you haven't brought this to the dealer?
            '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
            '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
            '04 Lexus GX470

September 21, 2016, 07:02 PM #6

dan Offline

• dan has no influence.
              Originally posted by IanB
              You don't say what year or model your car is, but do mention the mileage.  Had a quick look, most 2000-2014 Mazda's had 100,000km powertrain warranty, any reason you haven't brought this to the dealer?
              They refuse to delay with any warranty on the car. Also, the power train only covers 5 year or 100k. Whichever comes first.  The 5 year was up at the beginning of the month.

September 24, 2016, 08:10 PM #7

seanf Offline

• Vehicle: 4 Audis and a Cavalier
                • Reputation Power: 15
                • seanf has no influence.
                Originally posted by dan
                They refuse to delay with any warranty on the car. Also, the power train only covers 5 year or 100k. Whichever comes first.  The 5 year was up at the beginning of the month.

Good will? I know GM used to give people good will all the time.

September 27, 2016, 05:15 AM #8

SavageTaco Offline

• Vehicle: Evo9 GG MR
                  • Reputation Power: 15
                  • SavageTaco has no influence.
                  If you're looking for a good shop to take it to, my vote goes to Jackson autosport or speedfactor.
                  Evo 9 aka "The Grinch" pump gas warrior
                  Self tuned on an AEM V2
                  2000 Aristo V300 - Daily
                  "When in doubt run flat out"- C Mcrae

September 27, 2016, 06:04 PM #9

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                    • Reputation Power: 19
                    • cluelessk has no influence.
                    Originally posted by seanf
                    Good will? I know GM used to give people good will all the time.

Dealer should help you out. I know the one I worked for did.
                    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

September 29, 2016, 01:29 PM #10

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
                      • Reputation Power: 31
                      • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
                      sounds like clutch fork needs some lubbing, throwout bearings make alot more noise usually

September 29, 2016, 01:40 PM #11

Cherka Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Acura Integra GS-R
                        • Reputation Power: 46
                        • Cherka might someday be someone...Cherka might someday be someone...Cherka might someday be someone...Cherka might someday be someone...
                        I had the same problem on my teg, in my case i pushed back the slave cylinder boot and used high temp grease on the ball that mates with the shift fork. After that it went away. - My noise was random to the day, some days it would squeak every shift or just the occasional. Happened more when it was cold if i remember correctly.

September 30, 2016, 07:54 AM #12

dan Offline

• dan has no influence.
                          Thanks for the advice fellas.   I'll look into greasing up the fork before putting it into storage. 

Top Tier Imports

LF some transmission advice.
                            « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 07:54 AM »