Author Topic: The Eppic OffRoadster  (Read 11674 times)

March 17, 2017, 08:38 AM #150

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
  • Reputation Power: 206
  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
That looks like the most uncomfortable ride possible :lol:
Is a lift/longer travel suspension in the future plans?
Originally posted by Madbuzz41
I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

Top Tier Imports

The Eppic OffRoadster
    « Reply #150 on: March 17, 2017, 08:38 AM »

March 17, 2017, 10:31 AM #151

Eppic Offline

• Vehicle: Miata's (lots of them)
    • Reputation Power: 32
    • Eppic is working their way up.Eppic is working their way up.Eppic is working their way up.
    Originally posted by jordisonjr
    That looks like the most uncomfortable ride possible :lol:
    Is a lift/longer travel suspension in the future plans?

ya it's terrible.  Long arm kit in the works.

May 11, 2017, 06:54 PM #152

Eppic Offline

• Eppic is working their way up.Eppic is working their way up.Eppic is working their way up.

May 16, 2017, 11:19 PM #153

Eppic Offline

I smile and the crowds smile. That's what my business is all about.

let kids sit in your cars at car shows. It's like the highlight of their childhood when you're 8 and get to sit in a cool car. Smiles galore on this little guy and his parents.

May 17, 2017, 12:46 AM #154

blankk Offline

• Vehicle: positive funds
        • Reputation Power: 3
        • blankk has no influence.
        saw this thing at the UE meet, soooo nice

May 17, 2017, 12:47 AM #155

blankk Offline

• Vehicle: positive funds
          • Reputation Power: 3
          • blankk has no influence.
          hey im in the picture 2

May 17, 2017, 03:09 PM #156

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
            • Reputation Power: 94
            • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
            What happened to the fender flares?
            Current Forester count: 1
            Owner, Next Level Escapes

June 01, 2017, 07:43 AM #157

Eppic Offline

Originally posted by dano
              What happened to the fender flares?

They were ugly.  I don't like having ugly cars. 

I'll re-design and make it a bad-ass car.
              For now though I'm in the re-restoring process of the ol spitty.
              Subscribe to my youtube to watch the action on that.

September 24, 2017, 12:09 AM #158

Eppic Offline

Well it's been a crazy summer.  Had some major life changes.  Doing lots of other stuff.  Trying to have a life again and not spend 20 hours a day building cool stuff.  It's not all that fun when you do that for 6 months in a row.    Here's what you haven't seen of the Eppic Offroadster from this summer if you're not following this thing on instagram or facebook.

Instagram: @Eppicindustries
                Facebook: Eppic Industries
                Youtube: Eppic Industries

Starting things off with my biggest event of the year.  We were the #1 thing to see at Steinbach's Summer In The City.  Here's a wee bit of what went down at that!

Had the fam jam down to help out with things and rep some Eppic Shirts

Youtube channel was starting to pick up too.  Those were fun episodes to make.  Hoping to get to some more this winter.

January 20, 2018, 10:53 PM #159

Eppic Offline

Hey hey, how abouts an updates eh?

Didn't end up putting my 1uz in the car.  That's going in a different project.  Rebuilt the 1.6L as it felt wrong to just throw away all that hard work I did making it look pretty.
                  Sure more power would be nice but, power costs money and we all like to put our money in different places.  One day this thing will get some more power.  Until then... here we go. 

Bought myself some 14" tires of a rzr.  Traction is a win now!

That burning oil issue however was no longer something I was willing to put up with.  The time came to pull that fancy painted engine out of there.

First things first is to check those bearings.

Disassembled on the bench

A fair amount of build up eh?  That might be enough to increase compression.

The cost of burning equal amounts of fuel and oil are clearly visible.

Dinky tires and out he door she goes while I rebuild the engine.  Reminds me of a monster truck with regular truck tires on it.

Good thing I have a bunch of these engines laying around.  Pull the best crank out and polish that one up.

New pistons.  .030 over

Serviced my lifters with the help of my redneck apprentice.

Valve retainers are a real patience testing practice.  Pesky buggers sure are annoying to get in place.

Slap that head back on there and lets get her back together.

No need for a transmission jack.  I stay fit for a reason. (I have 8 miata's.  I'm just helping reinforce the hair dresser stereotype with that shirt choice apparently. Don't judge me!)

Had to compare it to the Cummins sitting right beside it.  That engine is almost the size of the whole car.

And it's sittin pretty ready to go back in.

Celebration time now that it's in and runs!

Working on doing more video stuff these days.  Go subscribe to the youtube channel if you like.

January 20, 2018, 11:29 PM #160

Eppic Offline

Up next on the picture list is some anticipation for the future.  I sell lights.  An Eppic right needs to represent! 

Whilst the Offroadster is getting it's new engine, I acquired another Miata to drive.
                    We call it the Minilift Miata.  It's turned into an experimental vehicle on different ways to lift a miata.  Like throwing front suspension in the rear.  Free 50% lift kit.

It had a diff with a better gear ratio for my big tires so that all got swapped along with the suspension setup I was running on it.  NB miata shocks and springs with NA top hats.  Also another variant of lifting a miata.  Gives about 1.5"-2" of lift.  More on that car later.

This car has come a long way.

Black friday came around and I bought myself a Paco kit to see how that compared to my home built lift.  There's is better built.  I just used scraps from around the shop.  Not high quality water jet cut pieces welded together.  So here we have a Paco 3" lift and NB suspension. 

Random moment in the shop when I had to filter out all the BS around me...

Previous picture was placed for the intent of at least making you smirk if not giggle.  It's ok to laugh.  Just let it out.  You'll feel better. 

Still have no idea what to do with these things.

Also Black Friday yielded an awesome dealio on Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's!  Probably Canada's 4x4 communities favorite tire.  A healthy upgrade for this beast.  235/75r15

With tires mounted and the badassery turned up... Made another youtube video.

Pictures of the day in the snow.

And of course after any good day of playing in the snow... things need a good drying.

January 21, 2018, 12:24 AM #161

Eppic Offline

With that stage of the build completed.  I finished off the year in Mexico on this thing!  SO MUCH AWESOMENESS!

Came home and got on the 3d printer to make some new air vents.  Turned out pretty neat actually.

Bumper ripped off on the way home from that day in the snow...  So I needed to make a new one.  The scrap bin was kind to me.

Some of my light pile is starting to get used.

Then it was time to get back to work!  Here in Canadia we are not allowed to have cool uncovered wheels.  First step is to WELD UP THEM UGLY HOLES FINALLY!

Then came another attempt to come up with a fender flare that looks half decent began.  No more awful tubes! 

But gave that idea up as I didn't like it much more then the tubes.

Now... as per the build, go big or go home.  Lets sculpt some custom wide body madness onto this guy and make us an Eppic offroadster-prerunner!
                      Not knowing what I'm doing, with just an idea in my head of what could work, I set off to work.

Simply because I have to power to do so... Mr. Redneck apprentice in training dude guy buddy pal makes for some entertaining pictures.  His name is Denzel by the way. 

I'm finally liking the trajectory these flares are headed.

January 21, 2018, 12:43 AM #162

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
                        • Reputation Power: 94
                        • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!

January 21, 2018, 12:54 AM #163

Eppic Offline

From here things seemed to escalade... go big or go home right?  No wussy fenders here.  Lets go with a full wide body big wheeled bad assed pre-running trophy truck style Miata!  Because street cred is more valuable than all these new cryptocoin's.

The thing with experimenting is that you don't really know how things are going to go.  So it's been a slow process of trial and error.  After starting this endeavour, I've done a little research.  Apparently this is actually somewhat of a fairly common way to do this task.  For those that are wondering why I use expanding foam.  It's my base for shaping how I want my fenders to look.  Once I have them formed how I want, I fiberglass over the foam.  Sand it down.  Body filler on that.  Sand it down.  Then paint the car.

The typical trend this process is taking is add some foam.  slice most of it off.  Then add some more in other places.  And slice that off so you can add more foam in more places again.  All this is time consuming as you have to wait for foam to cure.  (24 hours)  So in the interest of efficiency, I started on some other projects on the car as well.

Like rock lights!

and a custom fabbed roof rack

And in order to get my wheels sitting where I would like them, I needed to extend my control arms a tad. This also aids in the correction of my cv angle.

Also coming up with new and different ways of suspending the miata chassis.  Mr. Denzel did all the research required and fabbed up some long travel suspension from some ford shocks and honda springs.  DIY is the way of life around these parts!  That man deserves a medal!  I like having him around.

January 21, 2018, 01:04 AM #164

Eppic Offline

This week my social media all of a sudden was flooded with posts of people sharing a link of my car.  Turns out Jalopinik put me on their front page.  That's been another adventure of heavy internet activity on my youtube and fb accounts.
                          https://jalopnik.com/this-unholy-child-of-a-miata-and-a-snowmobile-is-your-n-1822236031

Now came the forming of the fenders and they began to take shape and a vision of the finished product started to appear.

January 21, 2018, 11:53 PM #165

Eppic Offline

Today was more sculpting.  Not a lot of interesting bits.  Can't decide on where I want the lines to go though.  Front where it meets the bumper isn't right yet.  Think I'm pulling a body line from the wrong spot.

January 27, 2018, 12:53 AM #166

Eppic Offline

The weekend is here.  Time to get some progress happening on this guy.  Knifing is almost done, Just have to level my level and then it's onto the shaping with the roloc.

Roloc time

Had one of my co-workers stay late on a friday to help fab up the rear bumper.

After a long hard day, sometime you just need to break wind!  Sucker we laughed so hard.

Starting to lay the drywall mud to fill in the holes.  Cheaper than actual body filler.  Strength doesn't matter at this stage.  This is just for shaping purposes.

And there we have it.  One smoothed out(ish) custom wide body off road miata.

This is not a factory Miata part...  It's getting used for something.  SUPER excited for ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ʀᴀɪsᴇ ᴜʀ ᴅᴏɴɢᴇʀs ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ !

Taught our new shop dog to bring me my wrenches... or at least how to carry them.  She did quite well actually.  Carried that thing all the way from the tool box across the shop to where I was working. 
                              Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 09:33 PM by Eppic

January 29, 2018, 11:55 PM #167

Eppic Offline

Today we guide coat and find them low spots.

And then once you find those low spots you have to make both sides match.

But it's slowly coming together.  Hopefully just a couple more weeks to go.

I've had guys asking if I'm making replications of these flares.  If there was the interest I think I might.  Anyone have experience with producing fiberglass from a mould that would steer me away from that idea for any reason?

February 04, 2018, 08:44 PM #168

Eppic Offline

Sad little motor can't wait for all this dust to go away so it can be clean again...

Now all that hard work of shaping and making the form I want gets taken away to make room for the fiberglass and give it something to bite onto.

And then the glassing begins.

Fortunately the front fenders come off easily making the underside easy to do.  The rears... that's a different story.

Random suspension picture.  I like my powder coated everything still.  Looks pretty good to me.

Back to the glass.  Lay it on, trace it out.  Cut!

First layer done and puppy proof.  A true test of weight bearing load...

Layer two done on the topside.  Now just to finish up the wheel wells and then it's filler time.

February 06, 2018, 11:03 PM #169

Eppic Offline

Almost done friberglassing.  A little heat goes a long way.

In high school I was bullied for being crafty with scissors and fabric.  (My mom's a seamstress)  How do you like me now bullies?

Trimming the fat.

February 07, 2018, 09:19 AM #170

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                                      • Reputation Power: 128
                                      • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                                      Originally posted by Eppic
                                      Almost done friberglassing.  A little heat goes a long way.

In high school I was bullied for being crafty with scissors and fabric.  (My mom's a seamstress)  How do you like me now bullies?

Trimming the fat.

This is coming along so well, its not exactly how I would have done it but I don't care, its your build not mine. Its cool and you're putting in crazy amounts of work and it shows, I cant wait to see how it looks in the end (we all know theres no "end" but you know what I mean).

Keep the updates coming!!
                                      BAASSSSSSS
                                      I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                      My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                                      Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

February 11, 2018, 09:09 PM #171

Eppic Offline

Well... That was one heck of a long weekend.  55+ hours this weekend put on the build. Had a couple helpers to get some of the smaller tasks tidied up.

So here we go.

Since I sell all sorts of LED's I get the cream of the crop when it comes to my own vehicles.  These bad boys have barely hit the market in North America.  Hella dope imo.

Also brought in some of these to try.  Customizeable light bars.  Mount them in any configuration you like and as many as you want.

Came across this picture again.  I still like my subframe,  :)

Fiberglassing continued to completion this weekend.

And If you balance things just right you can get away with some tricks here or there.

After the glassing was done, it was time for the body filler.

Denzel here is my redneck apprentice.  He's fitting in quite well.

This popped up on miata club.  Guy is making t-shirts.  Love it!

I immidiately had to improvise my own manlyishnesskindasortawannabe blow dryer mod.

Denzel spent most of the weekend wiring lights.

Rock lights are 90% done.

Light bars are waiting for the roof rack to get finished. Had to test out some functions.  Here's your sneak peek.

Sand and add... sand some more and add some more.  I spent close to four hours on this front fender.  Sanding by hand.

This young man is learning to do body work.

She's lookin THICC

Almost done sanding.  Not 100% there but we are close to the primer stage.

And after soooo many long hours working on the car, I had to call it a night.  I cleaned up and left her there until tomorrow.

I lived streamed most of the weekend on my Eppic Industries fb page.  Hit 66,000 hits today.  That was kinda neat.

February 12, 2018, 05:05 PM #172

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                                          • Reputation Power: 21
                                          • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
                                          Smaller picture would be nice. I've got decent internet and it took a while to load.
                                          [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

February 13, 2018, 07:01 AM #173

Eppic Offline

Caught in the action of some final shaping.

Almost there.  Just a couple more high's and lows to level out and then I paint.

February 15, 2018, 06:46 AM #174

Eppic Offline

So all this hard work has me totally exhausted and I'm starting to get sick because of it.  So I'm trying to slow down a bit.  However, this thing is due for a big off-road event next weekend so there's a bit of a push to get it painted.  I wont get everything done that I was hoping to get done by then.  But that's ok.  It's just a car.  It's already a super bad-ass machine like this.  :)
                                              Here's yesterdays progress.

New custom LED switches came in.

Didn't get to priming yet.  Keep finding little things here and there that I may as well do now while i'm this far.  Like paint the hood.  Ya it's black but it's a different black.  Rattled canned by some previous owner once upon a time.

Give her a bit of a bath to see where I really am with the body work.

At least I got the inside of the front fenders coated.  Just rattle canned.  Don't care how that part looks.  It's getting a liner anyway.

Top Tier Imports

The Eppic OffRoadster
                                                « Reply #174 on: February 15, 2018, 06:46 AM »