Author Topic: Don't throw your rags out!! - Textile Recycling  (Read 262 times)

September 22, 2016, 01:22 PM #0

carterjalil Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Maxima SV - Sport
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • carterjalil barely matters.carterjalil barely matters.
Just thought i'd share this for those of you that have a bunch of old towels and cleaning rugs laying around

Hello all my lovely green "Earth Happy" people,

How many of your recycle?  I hope the answer is ALL of you.  However, just how much of your thrown out goods could still be recycled and you don't even know it?  I'm talking specifically about textiles, a.k.a. clothing or anything made with cloth like napkins.  How many of you go through your drawers to find socks with holes in them and then throw it out?  How many have that old "painting shirt" or totally stained gym shorts and just toss them when they're too groddy for you?  Did you know that you can still recycle those?

"A recent study in Ontario concluded 85 per cent of discarded textiles end up in a landfill site, meaning just 15 per cent are recycled or reused."  Isn't that a scary thought?  How about that 10% of what is now in landfills is textiles that could have been saved?  Crazy.

But what can you do?  Most people think that only the "good stuff" can be donated, and the rest is worthless.  Not so.  There's money to be had in "scrap clothing".  The Salvation Army takes any shred of cloth they can't resale in their stores and then bundles them for selling to cloth recyclers.  And the proceeds then go back into the community.

From the Manitoba Salvation Army website: http://thriftstore.ca/manitoba/salvation-army-thrift-store-faqs

How does the Salvation Amy recycle clothing items that are not sold in Thrift Stores?  Salvation Army Thrift Stores often receives donated clothing that cannot be sold in stores because it is torn, stained and/or overly worn.  The Salvation Army is still able to generate funds from these clothing donations and divert them from local landfills by selling them to cloth graders. The cloth graders re-sort the materials; turning some into rags, selling other parts for the fibre content used to make things such as upholstery stuffing and carpet padding, or resells the items in foreign markets.  This results in a win-win situation for the environment and for The Salvation Army as these clothing items stay out of our landfills and generate funds to help our organization provide community programs and services such local food banks, shelters, daycare programs and children's camps.

Here's an interesting CBC article about this all: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/textile-recycling-1.3569138

Top Tier Imports

Don't throw your rags out!! - Textile Recycling
    « on: September 22, 2016, 01:22 PM »

September 22, 2016, 02:05 PM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 182
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    How can we go about cutting out the middle man and get paid for our scraps? :lol:
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 22, 2016, 08:54 PM #2

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
      • Reputation Power: 99
      • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
      Originally posted by jordisonjr
      How can we go about cutting out the middle man and get paid for our scraps? :lol:
      In4money
      '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
      '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
      IG: colby_spence
      Snap: cspence47

September 22, 2016, 09:09 PM #3

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
        • Reputation Power: 82
        • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
        Sonofa. . Yesterday i threw out a ton of old socks and stuff

Top Tier Imports

Don't throw your rags out!! - Textile Recycling
          « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:09 PM »