Author Topic: House / Home / Renovations Thread  (Read 3753 times)

October 07, 2016, 10:06 PM #0

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
  • Reputation Power: 183
  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
This thread is all about discussing things related to being a home owner, building a house, renovations of a house.

Top Tier Imports

House / Home / Renovations Thread
    « on: October 07, 2016, 10:06 PM »

October 07, 2016, 10:08 PM #1

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
    • Reputation Power: 54
    • #StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.
    I helped my family build our house back in 2007. We did everything ourselves aside from digging for the foundation, and the roof.

was quite the experience. took us a full year working only weekends and holidays.

would do again.

October 07, 2016, 10:08 PM #2

themikewoo Offline

• themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
      I looking at purchasing appliances for a brand new home; dishwasher, fridge (prefer French doors), stove, overhead range, washer and dryer combo (must be front load).

Anyone have any insight into what brands to stay away from? Personal stories about their products?

October 07, 2016, 10:09 PM #3

themikewoo Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
        I helped my family build our house back in 2007. We did everything ourselves aside from digging for the foundation, and the roof.

was quite the experience. took us a full year working only weekends and holidays.

would do again.
        Wow. Was the property outside of the city? If so was the house an RTM?

October 07, 2016, 10:10 PM #4

#StreetFocus Offline

• #StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.
          Originally posted by themikewoo
          Wow. Was the property outside of the city? If so was the house an RTM?

yes it is outside the city. We were given the lot (actually 3 lots) for free so we decided to build.
          was not an RTM, we built it from the ground up on site.

October 07, 2016, 10:16 PM #5

themikewoo Offline

yes it is outside the city. We were given the lot (actually 3 lots) for free so we decided to build.
            was not an RTM, we built it from the ground up on site.
            Impressive. Do you recall the types of appliances they have? I'm looking at buying all the major appliances soon.

October 07, 2016, 10:19 PM #6

#StreetFocus Offline

I can't recall. however I will check because they've been pretty good. And when there was an issue with the dryer, the service was excellent even to the rural location.

October 07, 2016, 10:24 PM #7

themikewoo Offline

I can't recall. however I will check because they've been pretty good. And when there was an issue with the dryer, the service was excellent even to the rural location.
                Please do. I am looking at the current Black Friday sales and if I don't buy now, I will during Boxing Day.

October 08, 2016, 12:06 AM #8

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                  • Reputation Power: 353
                  • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                  To do list on my house:
                  - install laminate flooring throughout the house to replace stained carpet
                  - paint existing dark brown trim throughout the house white
                  - paint existing walls from beige/brown to grey
                  - stain deck
                  - paint outside trim
                  - replace appliances. Will probably go with Kitchenaid or Frigidaire stainless steel.

October 08, 2016, 01:14 AM #9

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                    • Reputation Power: 160
                    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                    My parents went through a couple Maytag front load washers because the water never completely emptied and left the machine stinking, no matter how much we cleaned it and ran bleach through it.

We now have a top load Whirlpool that was probably a fraction the price which works way better, and holds more stuff.

My father has had some nightmares with his appliances... The water/ice function on his fridge was screwed for the longest time, would leak, and when they replaced the fridge, it didn't work at all. I believe it was a Frigidaire, will confirm tomorrow.

He's also had problems with the gasket on his dish washer, will confirm the brand tomorrow.

Only way he got these problems fixed is because he started bashing the hell out of the company on their Facebook pages.

If anyone has any questions about circuit sizing for stoves, or circuit requirements for fridges, and why they shouldn't be on a GFCI plug/breaker, holla.
                    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 08, 2016, 06:29 AM #10

Imprzme Offline

• Vehicle: '16 Legacy 3.6R
                      • Reputation Power: 19
                      • Imprzme has no influence.
                      I'm a believer in Fridgidaire appliances. Fridge, stove, dishwasher, front load washer and dryer. Zero issues in the more than 10 years I've had them.

To save money Mike don't forget to check a place like Bain's Appliance on Archibald (not the store on St. Mary's) for new scratch and dent.  They get them from the retail stores in the city, repair them and sell them at a big discount. They still have full factory warranty on them! They also sell used with warranties.
                      Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:38 AM by Imprzme
                      Save your breath - you'll need it to inflate your girlfriend

October 08, 2016, 08:57 AM #11

themikewoo Offline

Originally posted by Imprzme
                        I'm a believer in Fridgidaire appliances. Fridge, stove, dishwasher, front load washer and dryer. Zero issues in the more than 10 years I've had them.

To save money Mike don't forget to check a place like Bain's Appliance on Archibald (not the store on St. Mary's) for new scratch and dent.  They get them from the retail stores in the city, repair them and sell them at a big discount. They still have full factory warranty on them! They also sell used with warranties.

Thanks for the input and tip. I'm totally fine with buying used appliances so I'll give them a look. There is also a uses appliance store on Des Meurons that I want to check out too.

In my current house all the appliances are mismatched, which is fine because they all work lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

October 08, 2016, 08:58 AM #12

themikewoo Offline

Originally posted by Vince
                          If anyone has any questions about circuit sizing for stoves, or circuit requirements for fridges, and why they shouldn't be on a GFCI plug/breaker, holla.

Please elaborate so I can make sure the builder doesn't do that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

October 08, 2016, 09:53 AM #13

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
                            • Reputation Power: 85
                            • Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.
                            I'll add in two cents for appliances
                            Avoid:
                            Sears - Worst warranty service/technicians I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing
                            Electrolux - Multiple issues with dishwasher/stove
                            Like:
                            Bosch Dishwasher - Works well and very reasonably priced
                            Whirlpool front load washer/dryer - Would avoid the bottom tier stuff though, mid to higher end seems to be great. Also the stands for these things are highway robbery, $300+ each, probably easier to make your own.
                            Meh:
                            LG fridge - Freezer seal is starting to let go after about 7 years. Personally I hate french doors on a fridge, if you haven't used one before I would make sure you really want them. There's way more to go wrong and I haven't seen one that hasn't had seal problems after a few years of use.
                            Frigidaire Stove - Seems kind of cheap and flimsy, lets a ton of heat out through the window. Probably a cheapo though, came with the house.

Also @themikewoo that place on Des Meurons is mostly garbage, don't bother. Bains/Midland on St Mary's are both good, Stalwart if you want to sell the S2 for a fridge.

Projects:
                            Need to get a bathroom fan installed before winter as my bathroom is molding a bit. Electrical part of this sucks but whatever, $$$.
                            New garage/pad and a new fence. Still deciding between getting it built or doing it (structure) myself. @Vince hurry up with your ticket pls.
                            [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
                            [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
                            [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

October 08, 2016, 10:18 AM #14

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                              • Reputation Power: 42
                              • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                              The builder should have it spec'd to current electrical code.
                              Only issue I would make sure of is that the microwave has a separate 20a circuit if is isn't code yet.
                              My convection oven/microwave was wanting 20 vs the 15a the house was wired for.

Samsung makes the microwaves for kenmore, the fridges for kenmore are a mix of Samsung and whirlpool. Our fridge has been great.

If your looking at stoves/ovens try to look at ones that have a glass control panel vs the plastic push pads. The plastic push pad is my only complaint on my Samsung as the buttons aren't very responsive. Also when there's splatter, the plastic ends up getting fine scratches during wipe down (like instrument cluster plastic)

I love my Bosch dishwasher. Very quiet and does a great job.

If you get stainless, there are coated types that are easier to clean and finger print resistant.

As for myself I redid my kitchen this summer, still have to get the backsplash done but it will have to wait fir a bit now.

@Nhil - across Rona on Sargent, there's a dealer that sells Panasonic bathroom fans.  Super quiet and moves tons of air. Worth looking at vs the cheap ones elsewhere
                              D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                              04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                              Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                              http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

October 08, 2016, 12:52 PM #15

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
                                Please do. I am looking at the current Black Friday sales and if I don't buy now, I will during Boxing Day.

Washer - WhirlPool - haven't had any issues with this in the past 3 years. But it's top load, you mentioned wanting front load.

Dryer - Hotpoint brand - like mentioned it had an issue, cant recall what it was though. but a tech was sent to diagnose free of charge, issue repaired for free under warranty.

stove - whirlpool - this has been awesome, no issues but only had for 6 months. it's a smoothtop

fridge - GE - overall been good, has an icemaker and one time a few months ago it popped open the small side door (fridge has one large main door, and one small side freezer door) the ice maker got too full and it popped the side door open somehow. not sure how or why, but happened once and hasnt happened since

October 08, 2016, 01:01 PM #16

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
                                  • Reputation Power: 85
                                  • Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.
                                  Originally posted by Joe

@Nhil - across Rona on Sargent, there's a dealer that sells Panasonic bathroom fans.  Super quiet and moves tons of air. Worth looking at vs the cheap ones elsewhere

I actually bought a Panasonic one from Amazon that seems to be highly reviewed everywhere I've looked. The one they wanted to supply was a ****ty Broan so I said no thanks.
                                  [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
                                  [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
                                  [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

October 08, 2016, 01:53 PM #17

Gavin Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Q60 Red Sport
                                    • Reputation Power: 12
                                    • Gavin has no influence.
                                    I bought a Whirlpool washer and dryer for cheap on Kijiji. they are like 7 years old and still work perfect.

Whirlpool deep freeze also works great. Can't remember the brand of my stove and fridge of the top of my head.

My Dyson vacuum is a tank even after 6 years. They have really good fanless fans/heaters as well.
                                    2017 Q60 RS
                                    2010 G37X - Sold

October 08, 2016, 02:15 PM #18

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                                      • Reputation Power: 160
                                      • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                                      @Nhil will have my ticket by next winter. Also, bathroom fans are easy as hell to install, if there's an existing one you can do it yourself aslong as you don't mind going in your attic and getting dusty.

@themikewoo the builder won't do the electrical, he'll have to hire a licensed/registered electrician to do all the electrical work since electrical is a registered trade.

Circuit sizing for stoves is found with demand factors, instead of just taking the wattage of the stove and dividing it by the line voltage to find your amperage. Fridges don't need GFCIs because theyre in an area not normally exposed to water, and IIRC the inrush of the fridge kicking on trips the GFCI.
                                      (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 08, 2016, 02:53 PM #19

Igor Online

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                        • Reputation Power: 221
                                        • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                        Sup...someone need a house designed/built?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                        2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                        2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

October 08, 2016, 04:49 PM #20

pegcitygeek Offline

• Vehicle: JDM Sportswagon 20K
                                          • Reputation Power: 9
                                          • pegcitygeek has no influence.
                                          Had a Bosch dishwasher and Whirlpool appliances. Was happy with both.

Just recently installed laminate flooring in our living room, and will continue it into the kitchen once we start to reno that. Was quite a bit of work, but would do it again.

Also finished installing a new furnace and AC today. I should say I assisted in bitch work while my friend with all the tickets did the real work. Learned a lot though.

October 08, 2016, 05:12 PM #21

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                            • Reputation Power: 173
                                            • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                            Originally posted by Igor
                                            Sup...someone need a house designed/built?

X2 have experience with residential design, building  code including the new energy portion (9.36) that no one can get right. As well as additions, decks etc
                                            Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                            I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

October 08, 2016, 09:52 PM #22

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
                                              • Reputation Power: 25
                                              • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
                                              Can anyone recommend a good (and not too difficult to use) design software. I'm redoing our kitchen next year and would like some ideas about how it might look. Possibly removing a wall and want to try different layouts. Someone at work suggested sketchup to start since its free. Alternatively if someone who's into this would like to help I'm willing to pay for time.
                                              Laziness breeds efficiency

October 08, 2016, 10:25 PM #23

Igor Online

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                                • Reputation Power: 221
                                                • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                                Originally posted by MarvinM10
                                                Can anyone recommend a good (and not too difficult to use) design software. I'm redoing our kitchen next year and would like some ideas about how it might look. Possibly removing a wall and want to try different layouts. Someone at work suggested sketchup to start since its free. Alternatively if someone who's into this would like to help I'm willing to pay for time.

Sketchup is a good tool to use and yes it is free. Takes some getting used to. You can also get something like powercad (i think its free as well).

Are you wanting floor plans or 3D renderings as well?

2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                                2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

October 08, 2016, 10:54 PM #24

Raykay101 Offline

• Vehicle: I ride a bike.
                                                  • Reputation Power: 9
                                                  • Raykay101 has no influence.
                                                  Originally posted by Nhil
                                                  I'll add in two cents for appliances
                                                  Avoid:
                                                  Sears - Worst warranty service/technicians I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing
                                                  Electrolux - Multiple issues with dishwasher/stove

Our dishwasher is also an electrolux, it just failed on us after about a year and half. Even before it out right failed, there was water leaking with the door. All of my families kitchen appliances are electrolux with the exception of the microwave which is a Panasonic. A year and a half in, owning the house only the dishwasher has failed on us.

Top Tier Imports

House / Home / Renovations Thread
                                                    « Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54 PM »