Author Topic: House / Home / Renovations Thread  (Read 5022 times)

October 09, 2016, 12:39 AM #25

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
  • Reputation Power: 194
  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
It seems like there is no red haring on appliances, seems like luck of the draw. I will for sure be getting extended warranty. However a co-worker informed me that IKEA comes with a 5 years warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Tier Imports

House / Home / Renovations Thread
    « Reply #25 on: October 09, 2016, 12:39 AM »

October 09, 2016, 11:57 AM #26

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 22
    • Run Away barely matters.Run Away barely matters.
    I've got an IKEA brand dishwasher from 2014(?), from my research they're just rebranded Whirlpools. It's quiet, but doesn't do the best job on stuff like cutlery. Everything we put in it now gets a good rinse and quick brush. The run cycles are several hours long too, but I've heard all new high efficiency dishwashers do that. It was cheap and looks badass though with the panel-ready front.
    -Ben

October 09, 2016, 10:05 PM #27

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
      • Reputation Power: 26
      • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
      Originally posted by Igor
      Sketchup is a good tool to use and yes it is free. Takes some getting used to. You can also get something like powercad (i think its free as well).

Are you wanting floor plans or 3D renderings as well?
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I'm more looking at floor plans and trying out layouts to see what my options would be. Going to also try the IKEA planner.
      Laziness breeds efficiency

October 10, 2016, 01:57 AM #28

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
        • Reputation Power: 173
        • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
        FWIW - All of (or most of) Autodesk's programs are free if you have an post secondary email.

I had all of their stuff on my computer until the other night.. I think Inventor was causing explorer.exe to hang sometimes due to a conflicting .dll or something as I was lead to believe by Google.
        (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 11, 2016, 12:39 PM #29

seanf Offline

• Vehicle: 4 Audis and a Cavalier
          • Reputation Power: 15
          • seanf has no influence.
          I have a frigidaire dishwasher in our house and its complete junk, the control panel started acting up a few months after the warranty expired, our LG double oven and Whirlpool fridge have been good to us as well as the Amana washer and dryer I got when we moved in. Dufresne was very good to deal with and came in under budget and I got a better appliance than I was asking for.

As for renos, my place is brand new, I've already finished the basement so I'm good for 3-5 years I'd hope.

October 12, 2016, 06:45 AM #30

themikewoo Offline

• themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
            I want to enlarge my 18"x20" garage plan by 4". Do not plan on owning a truck.

Initially I was thinking just put those 4" to one side of the garage so I can put my tool box there, stack tires, bicycles, ect.

But now I am thinking of putting 3" to one side and 1" to the length on the garage.

Anyone here with a badass garage that can give me some advice?

October 12, 2016, 08:41 AM #31

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
              • Reputation Power: 202
              • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by themikewoo

Initially I was thinking just put those 4" to one side of the garage so I can put my tool box there, stack tires, bicycles, ect.

But now I am thinking of putting 3" to one side and 1" to the length on the garage.

You want to enlarge it by 4 Inches ("), or 4 feet (') ?
              It would probably easier and cheaper to extend it to one side, rather than both as you'll need to connect the new slab (assuming you're extending the slab too) to the existing slab. Which will likely need to be engineered if you plan to get permits.

If you're enlarging fairly close to a property line with a neighboring building, you may need to add fire rating as well, if you're within 2'-0" of the property line.

Originally posted by Madbuzz41
              I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

October 12, 2016, 09:14 AM #32

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                • Reputation Power: 42
                • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...

You can never go too big on a garage IMO.  You need to figure out where you want to put things like a workbench, toolbox, storage, etc and what you plan on driving during the time you'll live in the house.  Another thing to consider is ceiling height, you can store a lot of stuff up off the floor if you have the height to add shelving/hooks up high.
                '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
                '04 Lexus GX470

October 12, 2016, 11:40 AM #33

barrett Offline

• Vehicle: 1999 Subaru Forester S/TB
                  • Reputation Power: 8
                  • barrett has no influence.
                  Bought my first house 4 years ago and since then have done most renovations to it. Kitchen, bathroom, etc. Hired out a couple things to make sure it was done properly the first time so we didn't have to do it again later. But was able to watch and learn so I can do it myself next time. Looking to buy the next house in a year or so. Considering building but not really sure if that's the way I'll go or not.
                  93 Del Sol Si - B18C1, YS1 cable GSR trans, Work Stark II's, Powerslot rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Momo Millenium steering wheel
                  1999 Subaru Forester S/TB - SRT4 ACR BBS rims, Pioneer P3200BT, stock everything else

October 12, 2016, 03:25 PM #34

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                    For everyone worrying about garage storage...

Unistrut secured to joists with lag bolts, with a platform supported by 3/8" threaded rod, spring bolts, etc.

Dead simple to do as well.

Except I'd get some wood and make a platform out of that (with shallow strut on the bottom) so it would be more rigid.

October 12, 2016, 04:40 PM #35

seanf Offline

• Vehicle: 4 Audis and a Cavalier
                      • Reputation Power: 15
                      • seanf has no influence.

my garage is 22x30 and no where near big enough lol

have you built the garage yet? if so do at least 20' wide as parking 2 cars in there otherwise sometimes means the Mrs and all your purchases have to get removed from the car before you park inside. I would then make it as deep as you can, average car is about 17ish' long.

Ideally for the smallest double you'd want would be 20x24 or 22x22 unless you're going to have a shed to store bikes, lawn mowers, snow blowers, tools and whatnot.

October 13, 2016, 05:37 PM #36

themikewoo Offline

Here is the garage design proposal I submitted to my builder. I do plan on building a shed to hold all my yard tools.

October 13, 2016, 05:46 PM #37

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                          • Reputation Power: 84
                          • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                          thats a decent sized garage IMO. 1' on one side would be good for shelving, and the 3' on the other side for tire storage and cabinets if wanted. maybe a work bench area.

October 13, 2016, 05:55 PM #38

Vince Offline

@themikewoo storing them in your garage would be safer though, no?

October 13, 2016, 09:10 PM #39

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                              • Reputation Power: 92
                              • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                              The space also helps for opening doors.
                              Current Forester count: 1
                              New business opening soon...

October 14, 2016, 07:44 AM #40

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                Originally posted by Vince
                                @themikewoo storing them in your garage would be safer though, no?
                                The shed will be locked, plus I absolutely hate yard work so if a thief would break in and steal my stuff, it wouldn't be nice stuff lol.

October 14, 2016, 08:46 AM #41

IanB Offline

• IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                                  Here is the garage design proposal I submitted to my builder. I do plan on building a shed to hold all my yard tools.

Another thing to consider is 2x doors vs. 1 larger door.  If your driveway is a straight approach I prefer 2x singles, but if you have a turn to navigate the big single is the way to go.  If you go 2x doors make sure there's at least 2' between them, 3' is better.
                                  '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                  '04 Lexus GX470

October 14, 2016, 09:40 AM #42

themikewoo Offline

Originally posted by IanB
                                    Another thing to consider is 2x doors vs. 1 larger door.  If your driveway is a straight approach I prefer 2x singles, but if you have a turn to navigate the big single is the way to go.  If you go 2x doors make sure there's at least 2' between them, 3' is better.

Good thing to know. Why 3'? To account for opening and closing car doors? Or does it have to do with the support and structure of the garage?

October 14, 2016, 01:19 PM #43

IanB Offline

Good thing to know. Why 3'? To account for opening and closing car doors? Or does it have to do with the support and structure of the garage?

It's for opening & closing car doors, plus it gives you room to stick an upright compressor against the wall between the doors if you ever want to go that route in the future.  Anything less and you'd be cursing yourself getting in and out of your vehicles in there.

'93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                      '04 Lexus GX470

October 18, 2016, 12:32 AM #44

awd_ftw Offline

• Vehicle: '98 ver4 gf8 STi, '10 subaru impreza 2.5i
                                        • Reputation Power: 7
                                        • awd_ftw has no influence.
                                        I have a 22x22 garage upgraded from a 20x20. I wish I did a 24x24/26. Also should of added a sub panel when it was being built but the rest of the budget went to the house upgrade. Using KitchenAid Microwave/range, dishwasher, fridge, and stove, maytag washer and dryer for 3 years, so far so good.
                                        I find the microwave/range combo doesn't have as great of a fan vs a standalone range.

I'm not sure if this is true, a salesman at ashely furniture said Kitchenaid, maytag, whirlpool are owned by the same company. Electrolux and Frigidare are owned electrolux.   

October 18, 2016, 04:55 PM #45

themikewoo Offline

Originally posted by awd_ftw
                                          I have a 22x22 garage upgraded from a 20x20. I wish I did a 24x24/26. Also should of added a sub panel when it was being built .
                                          Why is that?

Also thanks for the appliance review.

When do you buy and from where?

October 22, 2016, 01:42 PM #46

themikewoo Offline

October 22, 2016, 02:40 PM #47

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 22
                                            • Run Away barely matters.Run Away barely matters.
                                            More counterspace is good but looks kind of stupid. Taking the top off looks to be a pain too.

If I ever replace a toilet, I want a wall-mount.

Looks great and you can actually clean around the toilet easily.
                                            -Ben

October 22, 2016, 03:36 PM #48

Vince Offline

Originally posted by awd_ftw
                                              I have a 22x22 garage upgraded from a 20x20. I wish I did a 24x24/26. Also should of added a sub panel when it was being built but the rest of the budget went to the house upgrade. Using KitchenAid Microwave/range, dishwasher, fridge, and stove, maytag washer and dryer for 3 years, so far so good.
                                              I find the microwave/range combo doesn't have as great of a fan vs a standalone range.

I'm not sure if this is true, a salesman at ashely furniture said Kitchenaid, maytag, whirlpool are owned by the same company. Electrolux and Frigidare are owned electrolux.   
                                              FYI: You can still add a subpanel

October 22, 2016, 07:46 PM #49

cluelessk Online

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                                                • Reputation Power: 19
                                                • cluelessk has no influence.
                                                Originally posted by MarvinM10
                                                Can anyone recommend a good (and not too difficult to use) design software. I'm redoing our kitchen next year and would like some ideas about how it might look. Possibly removing a wall and want to try different layouts. Someone at work suggested sketchup to start since its free. Alternatively if someone who's into this would like to help I'm willing to pay for time.
                                                Originally posted by Igor
                                                Sketchup is a good tool to use and yes it is free. Takes some getting used to. You can also get something like powercad (i think its free as well).

Are you wanting floor plans or 3D renderings as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Dad taught himself Sketchup. So the learning curve can't be too hard if an older guy with not much computer experience can do it.
                                                [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

Top Tier Imports

House / Home / Renovations Thread
                                                  « Reply #49 on: October 22, 2016, 07:46 PM »