Author Topic: House / Home / Renovations Thread  (Read 3738 times)

October 23, 2016, 11:21 AM #50

MarvinM10 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Mazdaspeed3
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • MarvinM10 barely matters.MarvinM10 barely matters.
Originally posted by cluelessk
My Dad taught himself Sketchup. So the learning curve can't be too hard if an older guy with not much computer experience can do it.
Well, that would be me then.
Laziness breeds efficiency

Top Tier Imports

House / Home / Renovations Thread
    « Reply #50 on: October 23, 2016, 11:21 AM »

October 24, 2016, 02:20 AM #51

awd_ftw Offline

• Vehicle: '98 ver4 gf8 STi, '10 subaru impreza 2.5i
    • Reputation Power: 7
    • awd_ftw has no influence.

Originally posted by themikewoo
    Why is that?

Also thanks for the appliance review.

When do you buy and from where?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My backyard a bit small to have a shed. I store my 2 sets of tires at a time, lawnmower, and other garden supplies. It's getting cramped and I still want to get a tool box/workbench.

My appliances are 3 years old from Ashley Furniture.

Originally posted by Vince
    FYI: You can still add a subpanel

Yeah I know, but would cost me more to do it now. I guess Id have to excavate my backyard to lay the appropriate wire, rewire the garage's electrical, and add the circuit to my main breaker.

October 24, 2016, 10:33 AM #52

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
      • Reputation Power: 160
      • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by awd_ftw
      Yeah I know, but would cost me more to do it now. I guess Id have to excavate my backyard to lay the appropriate wire, rewire the garage's electrical, and add the circuit to my main breaker.
      Removing the existing feed from the house to the garage would be easy. You wouldn't have to even remove the wire out of the ground. You can just cut both ends and leave it be.

As for excavating, that sounds overkill. You can do it with a shovel. Depth for buried cable is like 16 or so inches, pretty much how deep a shovel head is. Then you just lay wood overtop of it to further protect it.
      (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 25, 2016, 09:01 AM #53

Shaun Online

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
        • Reputation Power: 351
        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
        Purchased a Whirlpool stainless steel dishwasher yesterday to replace our broken Maytag one. The Maytag gas oven and fridge are still kicking, but those will be replaced by stainless steel units eventually as well.

October 25, 2016, 01:49 PM #54

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by Shaun
          Purchased a Whirlpool stainless steel dishwasher yesterday to replace our broken Maytag one. The Maytag gas oven and fridge are still kicking, but those will be replaced by stainless steel units eventually as well.
          Consider redoing the water lines for your dishwasher. IIRC they're prone to failure.

Also, not too sure if you or whoever delivers a new gas stove would be able to do the gas connection or if you'd need a gas fitter to come in.

Just something to consider.

October 26, 2016, 08:44 AM #55

Shaun Online

• Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
            Consider redoing the water lines for your dishwasher. IIRC they're prone to failure.

Also, not too sure if you or whoever delivers a new gas stove would be able to do the gas connection or if you'd need a gas fitter to come in.

Just something to consider.
            Removed the old dishwasher yesterday, water line looks good. It's T'd off from the hot water line under the sink, so it's only about 4-5 feet long anyways. I'll find out about the gas thing when the time comes, didn't think about that though.

October 27, 2016, 05:23 PM #56

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
              • Reputation Power: 183
              • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
              Did you purchase extended warranty for the dishwasher Shaun?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

November 23, 2016, 08:14 AM #57

Vince Offline

November 23, 2016, 08:30 AM #58

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                  • Reputation Power: 173
                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

November 23, 2016, 08:37 AM #59

Shaun Online

Damn that's harsh

November 23, 2016, 08:58 AM #60

Vince Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                      Well that's kind of sad

Originally posted by Shaun
                      Damn that's harsh
                      Agreed..it is sad, but that's what can happen when you do unlicensed work on your house. It's a shame that insurance left him out to dry, but it does make sense why they didn't cover it.

Careful with your DIY projects people.

November 23, 2016, 09:04 AM #61

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                        Agreed..it is sad, but that's what can happen when you do unlicensed work on your house. It's a shame that insurance left him out to dry, but it does make sense why they didn't cover it.

Careful with your DIY projects people.
                        I was more referring to not having contact with his wife and kids over it anymore, and being homeless haha.

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

November 23, 2016, 02:00 PM #62

themikewoo Offline

• themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                          So considering buying all the major appliances this Black Friday. Been doing my research and cross referencing different stores to try to get one store to price match. After taxes the price will be under $5500.00. Just so happens to be all Samsung, I am not brand specific but their products have the features I am looking for at a nice price.

November 23, 2016, 02:03 PM #63

jordisonjr Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
                            So considering buying all the major appliances this Black Friday. Been doing my research and cross referencing different stores to try to get one store to price match. After taxes the price will be under $5500.00. Just so happens to be all Samsung, I am not brand specific but their products have the features I am looking for at a nice price.
                            Make sure they're not on the list for exploding 'ppliances :lol:

November 23, 2016, 02:07 PM #64

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                              Make sure they're not on the list for exploding 'ppliances :lol:
                              Yeah one salesman informed us of one top load Samsung washer.

WF45K6200AW Front-Load Washer with AddWash, 5.2 cu.ft
                              DV45K6200EW Electric Front-Load Dryer, 7.5 cu.ft

Not getting the pedestals, they are stupid expensive.

November 23, 2016, 07:42 PM #65

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                • Reputation Power: 221
                                • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                Doing kitchen renos right now. Thanks insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

November 24, 2016, 12:43 PM #66

awd_ftw Offline

• Vehicle: '98 ver4 gf8 STi, '10 subaru impreza 2.5i
                                  • Reputation Power: 7
                                  • awd_ftw has no influence.
                                  My home is a 2 story home, 3 years old. The master bedroom doesn't get too much airflow when heater/ac is on. The other rooms get a decent amount of airflow. Anyone with a newer 2 story home have this problem? I tried shutting off some dampers/registers but still pretty weak airflow.

I usually shut the dampers in the basement for the summer(unfinished and used for storage currently). In the winter I open them back up as heat rises, that was suggested from the hvac tech who installed the system.

November 24, 2016, 06:34 PM #67

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                                    • Reputation Power: 17
                                    • cluelessk has no influence.
                                    Originally posted by awd_ftw
                                    My home is a 2 story home, 3 years old. The master bedroom doesn't get too much airflow when heater/ac is on. The other rooms get a decent amount of airflow. Anyone with a newer 2 story home have this problem? I tried shutting off some dampers/registers but still pretty weak airflow.

I usually shut the dampers in the basement for the summer(unfinished and used for storage currently). In the winter I open them back up as heat rises, that was suggested from the hvac tech who installed the system.

Could just a poor design. The person that installed our vents and ducts didn't put a cold air return in the main room of the basement. Only takes in air from upstairs and directly in the furnace room/under the stairs. It's impossible to get a consistent temp through the house.
                                    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

November 24, 2016, 07:19 PM #68

Vince Offline

I was more referring to not having contact with his wife and kids over it anymore, and being homeless haha.
                                      Oh.. yea those things are lame too.

@themikewoo gonna repost my quote

My parents went through a couple Maytag front load washers because the water never completely emptied and left the machine stinking, no matter how much we cleaned it and ran bleach through it.

We now have a top load Whirlpool that was probably a fraction the price which works way better, and holds more stuff.

Consider just getting a basic bitch top load. We like ours way better.

November 25, 2016, 08:29 AM #69

jordisonjr Offline

Oh.. yea those things are lame too.

@themikewoo gonna repost my quote

Consider just getting a basic bitch top load. We like ours way better.
                                        I have a front load washer and dryer, and we've never had issues with water not draining completely. I'm don't recal the brand however.

November 25, 2016, 12:01 PM #70

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                          Love doing renos on homes. Been doing the kitchen for the past little bit and none of the floors/walls are straight/true. Thanks contractor that built the house.

November 25, 2016, 02:12 PM #71

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
                                            • Reputation Power: 88
                                            • dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.dano is a force to reckon with.
                                            I have a front load washer and dryer, and we've never had issues with water not draining completely. I'm don't recal the brand however.
                                            Only time i have issues with water not draining completely out of the washer is when the load is too imbalanced.
                                            Current Forester count: 0.5

November 25, 2016, 03:42 PM #72

Magner Offline

Location: A Parking Lot Near You
                                              • Vehicle: Neons
                                              • Reputation Power: 70
                                              • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
                                              Originally posted by Igor
                                              Love doing renos on homes. Been doing the kitchen for the past little bit and none of the floors/walls are straight/true. Thanks contractor that built the house.
                                              Originally posted by Igor
                                              Ha! Try owning an old house with plaster walls, no square corners to be found!

November 25, 2016, 07:04 PM #73

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
                                                • Reputation Power: 85
                                                • Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.Nhil is a force to reckon with.
                                                Originally posted by Magner
                                                Plaster is the absolute worst.

My Bosch dishwasher **** the bed after about 8 or so years. Was absolutely not spending another grand or more on another one as much as I liked it. Found a Frigidaire Gallery one with good features and a pretty reasonable price. We'll see how long this one lasts.

@themikewoo a few places we looked told us to stay away from anything Samsung other than a fridge. Not sure if there's any truth to that but just an FYI.
                                                [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
                                                [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
                                                [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

November 25, 2016, 11:38 PM #74

Igor Offline

Originally posted by Magner

Haha hopefully i never have to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Tier Imports

House / Home / Renovations Thread
                                                    « Reply #74 on: November 25, 2016, 11:38 PM »