Author Topic: Wire up heated seats  (Read 541 times)

November 24, 2016, 06:56 PM #0

C.J974 Offline

• Vehicle: 1987 Porsche 924S, JDM 1999 Subaru Forester stb
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • C.J974 has no influence.
Now that it's cold, I wish I had done this earlier but, it's not to late.
I have 06 sti heated seats in my 99 sf5 stb. I know I need a relay, but what relay? And where do I need to put it? As for a fuse; I've read most Subaru's that came with heated seats have them on the same fuse(circuit) as the power mirrors. Is this true? Is there a better way? And if I put them on that circuit, how/where do I splice them in? And are only certain switches compatible with the seats? (only on/off, high/low, 5 level)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

You can't ruin my life Reality, my safe space will keep you out! -Cartman

Top Tier Imports

Wire up heated seats
    « on: November 24, 2016, 06:56 PM »

November 28, 2016, 11:38 AM #1

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 120
    • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
    I'm about to do this same mod, I will take pictures when I do it and try to make a sort of how to guide. As for the relay, any automotive relay over 20 amps should do fine. And i plan on taking power either from the big wires under the seat (if theyre hot) or from the battery.
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

December 02, 2016, 10:52 AM #2

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
      • Reputation Power: 82
      • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
      I need to do this for the girlfriends car we have the heated seats and switches but need it wired up as the car isn't prewired like my wagon was

December 02, 2016, 10:57 AM #3

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by slipstreamconversion
        I need to do this for the girlfriends car we have the heated seats and switches but need it wired up as the car isn't prewired like my wagon was
        text me, show me your kit!
        BAASSSSSSS
        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

December 02, 2016, 07:37 PM #4

slipstreamconversion Offline

• Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Aristo / 1993 Toyota Camry
          • Reputation Power: 82
          • slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.slipstreamconversion is a force to reckon with.
          Aye aye captain

December 09, 2016, 01:46 PM #5

Ctown8 Offline

It was very straight forward (for me haha), I did it a little bit "half assed" but it works and wont be an issue. I basically used a 9v battery to test all the leads on the heated seat harness that i had and determined that each seat had a power and a ground wire, as did each switch.

So I spliced all the powers (blue) together and all the grounds together (black). I tapped into the cig lighter for acc. power, normally this is not recommended but I never use it and its fused for 15a which is plenty, and grounded behind the shifter on a screw that held a harness in place.

I had to remove the seat 80% from the vehicle, originally I didn't want to cause its a hassle. basically unbolted the seat and tipped it back so that I could reach my hand through the carpet enough to reach the connector I shoved into the side of the console (also had to remove the entire console.. again not difficult .. for me haha). I then pulled the slack through and put it beside the other plug under the seat (butt pressure sensor I think).

Next I had to install the pads in the seats themselves, normally this isn't a huge pain... BUT on these seats it was. I had to remove the fabric from the seat bottom so I could remove the lower cushion. Then I had to undo several of those stupid ring clips/clasps. I laid the heated pad on the foam and clipped it in with the fabric at the front, and simply let the rear part be held back by the power wire going to the pad (I did have to cut a hole in the foam so I could fish the wire through, this way it looks seemless after the seat is re-assembled).

The back part of the seat was much easier, although I didn't take any pictures. I simply undid the fabric clip at the bottom of the seat and used my hands to slide the pad up the seat between the fabric and foam. I had to iron it gently because it was bit wrinkled, But it held well in the seat just with friction. I made sure it was smooth and flat, then redid the bottom of the seat shut. The fabric pulls pretty tight so I'm confident it will hold.

Any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them.
            Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:54 PM by Ctown8
            BAASSSSSSS

Top Tier Imports

Wire up heated seats
              « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 01:46 PM »