Author Topic: Coilovers vs. Winnipeg winter?  (Read 1749 times)

January 26, 2017, 04:29 PM #25

tytanium Offline

• Vehicle: 07 Mazdaspeed 3, 06 Civic DX-G
  • Reputation Power: 84
  • tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.tytanium is a force to reckon with.
In my older Altima I had BC coils. They made me hate driving my car the ride was so bad. Switched out to springs and was much happier. Current car has springs and koni yellows and I see no reason to switch to coils ever
#boostedhatchcrew

Top Tier Imports

Coilovers vs. Winnipeg winter?
    « Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 04:29 PM »

January 27, 2017, 06:53 PM #26

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
    • Reputation Power: 108
    • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
    Struts are coilovers by definition. You just replaced bottom-tier pre-assembled dampers and springs on adjustable perches, with decent ones at a fixed height. There are good quality coilovers, acceptable ones, and downright bad ones. They're made for a lot of different uses too: some strictly to go low, some strictly for lap times in a particular style of racing, some to be an inexpensive streetable compromise.

February 03, 2017, 02:36 PM #27

xrdriver Offline

• Vehicle: '15 STi &'10 STi
      • Reputation Power: 15
      • xrdriver has no influence.
      I have KW V3 coilovers on my 2010 STI and RCE Tarmac Zero (KW V1) coilovers on my 2015 STI. The V3s have been through 4 winters and still look and feel brand new. The bodies are stainless steel so they don't corrode and they still adjust freely.  They also ride at least as comfortable as stock, even in winter.

If you buy 'cheap' coilovers like a BC/Megan/HSD you will have a hard time adjusting the height after 1 winter. The metal collars seize to the bodies and they are very difficult, if not impossible, to adjust.

Having said that, I do not raise my car in the winter and lower it in the summer.  I don't like paying $200 for an alignment twice a year.  I left my V3s at the same 'low-ish' height for 3 winters before my wife started driving the car and she wanted it raising. The collars spun freely like they were brand new. I don't think the lack of height adjustment on a seized Chinese coilover is a big deal for most people because once they have found a ride height they like they leave it there.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
      Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:39 PM by xrdriver

February 07, 2017, 11:48 AM #28

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
        • Reputation Power: 194
        • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

Originally posted by xrdriver
        I have KW V3 coilovers on my 2010 STI and RCE Tarmac Zero (KW V1) coilovers on my 2015 STI. The V3s have been through 4 winters and still look and feel brand new.

How expensive were they?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

February 07, 2017, 08:51 PM #29

xrdriver Offline

• Vehicle: '15 STi &'10 STi
          • Reputation Power: 15
          • xrdriver has no influence.
          Originally posted by themikewoo

How expensive were they?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
          The KW V3 was around US$2400 when I bought them and the RCE Tarmac Zero are US$1900.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Top Tier Imports

Coilovers vs. Winnipeg winter?
            « Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 08:51 PM »