Author Topic: Anyone work at honda dealerships?  (Read 986 times)

December 25, 2016, 08:24 PM #0

FIJIFTW Offline

  • Regular Member
  • Posts: 48
  • Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Winnipeg
  • Vehicle: 2007 Honda Civic
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • FIJIFTW has no influence.
Hey guys,

Looking to get a car really soon as my previous one just died a few days ago.

Interested in a honda civic hatchback.

Does anyone have any friends that work at honda dealerships?

    Top Tier Imports

    Anyone work at honda dealerships?
    « on: December 25, 2016, 08:24 PM »

    December 26, 2016, 10:03 AM #1

    cluelessk Offline

    • Posts: 1,132
    • Join Date: May 2013
    • Real Name: Matthew
    • Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
    • Reputation Power: 19
    • cluelessk has no influence.
    The guys at Harvest Honda in Steinbach are good.

    "It's Worth the Trip"
    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

      December 26, 2016, 11:25 AM #2

      Colby Offline

      • Posts: 1,162
      • Join Date: Oct 2013
        Location: Springfield
      • Real Name: Colby
      • Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
      • Reputation Power: 119
      • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
      Not trying to sway your decision, but a family member went through the recent ICAR training. New Civics have the "Hi-Tensile Steel" or some version of a higher strength material for the chassis. No welding or pulling allowed anymore for repairs. If you get into a fender bender, the damaged area has to be chopped off at the nearest clean area and the repair section of the chassis is bolted on. Word has it that what use to be a simple repair is now a write off... Food for thought for the new car. GLWP
      '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
      '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

      https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
      IG: colby_spence
      Snap: cspence47

        December 26, 2016, 05:14 PM #3

        FIJIFTW Offline

        • Regular Member
        • Posts: 48
        • Join Date: May 2012
          Location: Winnipeg
        • Vehicle: 2007 Honda Civic
        • Reputation Power: 2
        • FIJIFTW has no influence.
        Originally posted by cluelessk
        The guys at Harvest Honda in Steinbach are good.

        "It's Worth the Trip"

        all right ill give them a call

        Originally posted by Colby
        Not trying to sway your decision, but a family member went through the recent ICAR training. New Civics have the "Hi-Tensile Steel" or some version of a higher strength material for the chassis. No welding or pulling allowed anymore for repairs. If you get into a fender bender, the damaged area has to be chopped off at the nearest clean area and the repair section of the chassis is bolted on. Word has it that what use to be a simple repair is now a write off... Food for thought for the new car. GLWP


        wow that's good to know. thanks man

          December 26, 2016, 05:29 PM #4

          cluelessk Offline

          • Posts: 1,132
          • Join Date: May 2013
          • Real Name: Matthew
          • Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
          • Reputation Power: 19
          • cluelessk has no influence.


          Originally posted by Colby
          Not trying to sway your decision, but a family member went through the recent ICAR training. New Civics have the "Hi-Tensile Steel" or some version of a higher strength material for the chassis. No welding or pulling allowed anymore for repairs. If you get into a fender bender, the damaged area has to be chopped off at the nearest clean area and the repair section of the chassis is bolted on. Word has it that what use to be a simple repair is now a write off... Food for thought for the new car. GLWP

          There are tons of vehicles that use ultra high strength steel. The repair process is clearly explained by Honda.

          http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/11/19/honda-elaborates-on-repairing-2016-civics-1500-mpa-ultra-high-strength-steel-rear-frame-rail/

          Honda, like Ford are just trying to push for manufacture approved shops only doing repairs.

          This won't affect consumers. Especially if you're buying new. It'll take a huge hit for repair costs high enough to write off the car. Personally I'd prefer not getting a car back that was in a huge collision.

          Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

          [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

            December 26, 2016, 06:12 PM #5

            Colby Offline

            • Posts: 1,162
            • Join Date: Oct 2013
              Location: Springfield
            • Real Name: Colby
            • Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
            • Reputation Power: 119
            • Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!Colby is leading the good life!
            Originally posted by cluelessk

            There are tons of vehicles that use ultra high strength steel. The repair process is clearly explained by Honda.

            http://www.repairerdrivennews.com/2015/11/19/honda-elaborates-on-repairing-2016-civics-1500-mpa-ultra-high-strength-steel-rear-frame-rail/

            Honda, like Ford are just trying to push for manufacture approved shops only doing repairs.

            This won't affect consumers. Especially if you're buying new. It'll take a huge hit for repair costs high enough to write off the car. Personally I'd prefer not getting a car back that was in a huge collision.

            Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
            Yea, I didn't mean to sound like it will affect the new owner. But if an accident were to happen the newer models will be written off much more frequently compared to the older models if MPI is going by the repair costs.

            It seems like a step back in vehicle design IMO


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
            '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

            https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
            IG: colby_spence
            Snap: cspence47

              December 26, 2016, 11:12 PM #6

              CodyLoewen Offline

              • Regular Member
              • Posts: 1,062
              • Join Date: May 2013
                Location: Winnipeg
              • Real Name: Cody Loewen
              • Reputation Power: 40
              • CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...CodyLoewen might someday be someone...
              In most cases, I'd rather have my car written off than repaired if I'm in a major collision.  Also if you are going to a dealership, you are going to get a newer Honda which I don't think have options for hatchbacks at the moment.  But I could be mistaken.
              1999 Honda Civic

              [Feb 22 16:57:22] Shaun:i dont wanna be friends with fence posts 

              Faken:if i get this promtion.. i might get a convertible..
              Shaun:a convertible what? pen? yes this pen turns into a coupon holder.

                December 27, 2016, 07:03 AM #7

                benz88 Offline

                • Posts: 2,654
                • Join Date: Mar 2012
                  Location: Area51
                • Reputation Power: 60
                • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                2017 does
                '91 240sx Hatch
                '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

                  December 27, 2016, 09:38 AM #8

                  themikewoo Offline

                  • Regular Member
                  • Posts: 8,644
                  • Join Date: Apr 2012
                    Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                  • Real Name: Jimmy Choo
                  • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                  • Reputation Power: 194
                  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                  Report back with what you get.

                  Devil's advocate : get an S2000

                  Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


                    December 27, 2016, 06:18 PM #9

                    firelizard Offline

                    • Posts: 2,006
                    • Join Date: Jul 2014
                      Location: Winnipeg
                    • Real Name: Ty
                    • Vehicle: UZS161
                    • Reputation Power: 106
                    • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                    Originally posted by Colby
                    Yea, I didn't mean to sound like it will affect the new owner. But if an accident were to happen the newer models will be written off much more frequently compared to the older models if MPI is going by the repair costs.

                    It seems like a step back in vehicle design IMO


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                    I too would rather have a fresh car than hope a shop can straighten and reassemble my car properly. Especially with something as recent and easily replaceable as a new Civic. With new car protection, you won't even have to eat a huge loss if it's written off. Write-off repairs can stay Kijiji specials. Hopefully they get recycled instead though.
                    Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:20 PM by firelizard

                      December 31, 2016, 09:37 AM #10

                      leiflarsen Offline

                      • Regular Member
                      • Posts: 43
                      • Join Date: Feb 2016
                      • Vehicle: 2017 Outback, 1997 Miata M Edition
                      • Reputation Power: 8
                      • leiflarsen has no influence.
                      Originally posted by cluelessk
                      The guys at Harvest Honda in Steinbach are good.

                      "It's Worth the Trip"

                      How much of a discount is it really? If you live in Winnipeg you're probably not going to go out to Steinbach for every oil change and warranty work, so I've always figured you might as well stick close to home.

                        December 31, 2016, 09:46 AM #11

                        cluelessk Offline

                        • Posts: 1,132
                        • Join Date: May 2013
                        • Real Name: Matthew
                        • Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                        • Reputation Power: 19
                        • cluelessk has no influence.
                        Originally posted by leiflarsen
                        How much of a discount is it really? If you live in Winnipeg you're probably not going to go out to Steinbach for every oil change and warranty work, so I've always figured you might as well stick close to home.

                        I worked in the body shop. It was amazing at how many customers from Winnipeg would get their cars serviced and repaired by us. Just take a look at how many Harvest Honda stickers you see on cars in Winnipeg. On the body side we'd pick up and deliver cars/ courtesy cars. Customers would never even have to leave their house.

                        Even if you buy in Steinbach doesn't mean you have to be serviced or get warranty work done there. Being a smaller dealer and in a cheaper town meant overhead was lower so you could cut better deals.
                        [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

                          December 31, 2016, 10:21 AM #12

                          benz88 Offline

                          • Posts: 2,654
                          • Join Date: Mar 2012
                            Location: Area51
                          • Reputation Power: 60
                          • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                          Originally posted by firelizard
                          I too would rather have a fresh car than hope a shop can straighten and reassemble my car properly. Especially with something as recent and easily replaceable as a new Civic. With new car protection, you won't even have to eat a huge loss if it's written off. Write-off repairs can stay Kijiji specials. Hopefully they get recycled instead though.
                          I dont know about Honda but GM has a 5yr protection plan where if you write off your vehicle you get paid back full what you paid for it new. 0 depreciation
                          '91 240sx Hatch
                          '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                          '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                          '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                          '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

                            December 31, 2016, 11:35 AM #13

                            firelizard Offline

                            • Posts: 2,006
                            • Join Date: Jul 2014
                              Location: Winnipeg
                            • Real Name: Ty
                            • Vehicle: UZS161
                            • Reputation Power: 106
                            • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                            New vehicle protection on models one year old or newer is available from MPI. https://www.mpi.mb.ca/en/Reg-and-Ins/Insurance/Optional-Autopac/Pages/newcarprotection.aspx

                              Top Tier Imports

                              Anyone work at honda dealerships?
                              « Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 11:35 AM »