Author Topic: 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT - Loss of Power, Car Jerking?  (Read 743 times)

January 03, 2017, 06:57 PM #0

thomasmarzec Offline

• Vehicle: '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • thomasmarzec has no influence.
Hey guys, I have some questions and concerns that I would like help with. Firstly, I'll say that I was going to take the car to my friend's heated garage this weekend to replace the A/C belt (as it squeals) and whatever other belts would need replacing (don't know if this is related but thought I would mention it) Now today, as I'm leaving work, my car stalls on me after I start it, and it won't turn back on. So my girlfriend comes to boost me, car seems to be fine. As I'm leaving the parking lot my car stalls again with a significant loss of power, however, this time the car turns back on. Finally, I turn onto Pembina and no word of a lie, my car just stalls in the middle of Pembina while running right then and there. A kind gentleman pulls over and boosts me. Now this is where my questions/concerns are. As soon as this gentleman pulls away, my car WILL NOT MOVE AT ALL, I finally got it moving when a police officer pulled up behind me, but it was a huge loss of power, and the car would keep jerking the whole time. I moved the car to a nearby parking lot so nothing would happen to it. Anyone know what this issue is? I know the A/C belt would have nothing to do with it, but I was thinking maybe a loose battery cable or a drive belt possibly? I've got some input from Facebook with people saying it could be the alternator or the crankshaft sensor. I'm fairly certain the battery is under a year old so I don't think that's it, but I'm looking for some input.

Thanks guys,
Thomas
Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:19 PM by thomasmarzec

Top Tier Imports

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT - Loss of Power, Car Jerking?
    « on: January 03, 2017, 06:57 PM »

January 03, 2017, 09:52 PM #1

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
    • Reputation Power: 239
    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
    Any CELs? How old is the battery? Have you had the charging system checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 03, 2017, 11:17 PM #2

thomasmarzec Offline

Originally posted by Igor
      Any CELs? How old is the battery? Have you had the charging system checked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CEL for something emission related, I can't remember.. Battery less than a year old, and no I haven't checked the charging system.. I'm thinking it's the alternator or a crankshaft sensor, what do you think?

January 04, 2017, 12:26 AM #3

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
        • Reputation Power: 128
        • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by thomasmarzec
        CEL for something emission related, I can't remember.. Battery less than a year old, and no I haven't checked the charging system.. I'm thinking it's the alternator or a crankshaft sensor, what do you think?

Emissions, plugged catalytic converter perhaps?
        #keepingitstock

January 04, 2017, 08:28 AM #4

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
          • Reputation Power: 196
          • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
          I had a similar problem on my Toyota when the Distributor died. (Not sure if you're car has one or not).
          It wouldn't stall out completely, but while driving the car would be VERY jerky, bucking forward and back almost as if someone was learning to drive standard, and couldn't take off, except it was very random, not just while taking off.

I did have a check engine light for this, but just thought I'd give my experience with similar symptoms. I ended up changing the cap and rotor, and that didn't help, which ended up replacing the entire distributor with a used one and there was no issues after that.
          Originally posted by Madbuzz41
          I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

January 04, 2017, 08:45 AM #5

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
            • Reputation Power: 369
            • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
            Based on my 2.5 minutes of research, your symptoms match the crankshaft sensor problem. Alternator shouldn't cause a loss of power or jerky behavior.

That said, scan your car because the crankshaft sensor should cause a CEL (p0335).

January 04, 2017, 11:52 AM #6

Earthworm Offline

• Vehicle: 1993 Subaru SVX
              • Reputation Power: 2
              • Earthworm has no influence.
              If it was the crank sensor then the engine would turn over but not fire.  If the battery is dead then the likely cause is the alternator.  A volt meter will confirm this.  I keep one plugged into my lighter all the time.  With a working alternator you should see between 13.5 and 14.5V at the lighter with the engine running.  Less than 12V is bad, mmmkay.

January 05, 2017, 10:32 AM #7

thomasmarzec Offline

Originally posted by Earthworm
                If it was the crank sensor then the engine would turn over but not fire.  If the battery is dead then the likely cause is the alternator.  A volt meter will confirm this.  I keep one plugged into my lighter all the time.  With a working alternator you should see between 13.5 and 14.5V at the lighter with the engine running.  Less than 12V is bad, mmmkay.

I was reading the same thing, car has trouble not turning over after work, but eventually started. The other two times the car would start but die shortly after. Car is going to a shop this weekend, so it'll be figured out.

January 08, 2017, 05:26 PM #8

nickcoldwell Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Evo X Mr (sold), 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD.
                  • Reputation Power: 10
                  • nickcoldwell has no influence.
                  Originally posted by thomasmarzec
                  A kind gentleman pulls over and boosts me. Now this is where my questions/concerns are. As soon as this gentleman pulls away, my car WILL NOT MOVE AT ALL

Was he really a kind gentleman or did he sabotage your vehicle?

Also my theory is a V8 swap will fix your issues.

Good Luck Yhomas.

January 27, 2017, 12:21 AM #9

J_mullet Offline

• Reputation Power: 4
                    • J_mullet has no influence.
                    I've got an 04 coupe auto. Had similar problems. Check your ground cable.

Top Tier Imports

2004 G35 Coupe 6MT - Loss of Power, Car Jerking?
                      « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21 AM »