Author Topic: FROSTI, Colins 01 fSTI  (Read 3703 times)

February 02, 2017, 11:44 AM #50

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
  • Reputation Power: 164
  • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
Where do you get your wire from?

It's easier and cheaper to get #3 bare copper iirc
(∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

Top Tier Imports

Frosti? Colins 01 fSTI
    « Reply #50 on: February 02, 2017, 11:44 AM »

February 02, 2017, 11:46 AM #51

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 108
    • Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.
    Originally posted by Vince
    Where do you get your wire from?

It's easier and cheaper to get #3 bare copper iirc
    From a distributor in BC/here at work. And umm what?
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

February 02, 2017, 12:16 PM #52

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
      • Reputation Power: 164
      • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by Ctown8
      From a distributor in BC/here at work. And umm what?
      Any electrical wholesaler would be able to get it too.

It's usually cheaper/easier to get because #3 is more of a common size since it's used a lot as the grounding conductor for residential electrical services.
      (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

February 02, 2017, 12:18 PM #53

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.Ctown8 has an aura about them.
        Originally posted by Vince
        Any electrical wholesaler would be able to get it too.

It's usually cheaper/easier to get because #3 is more of a common size since it's used a lot as the grounding conductor for residential electrical services.
        yea but in car audio 4awg is the most common size, its also easy to bend and made to be flexible under super cold and super hot temps.
        BAASSSSSSS
        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

February 02, 2017, 12:26 PM #54

dan Online

• Reputation Power: 9
          • dan has no influence.
          I really like the idea of that sub setup.   But losing my spare tire doesn`t exactly work for me....

February 02, 2017, 01:00 PM #55

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by dan pls
            I really like the idea of that sub setup.   But losing my spare tire doesn`t exactly work for me....
            Then you dont really like the idea of this sub setup :lol:
            BAASSSSSSS

February 02, 2017, 10:30 PM #56

Colby Online

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
              • Reputation Power: 99
              • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
              Originally posted by dan pls
              Time4RoofbasketSpareTire
              '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
              '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
              IG: colby_spence
              Snap: cspence47

February 03, 2017, 09:44 AM #57

Ctown8 Offline

Finished wiring the amp rack, except for the power wire for the speaker amp, since the speakers aren't in yet. Wiring is tidy and sits in place without being in the way of any of the supports for the cover. Wires for the speakers are currently on the floor in front of the rear seat, I plan on installing the front speakers tonight and running that wiring into the door and/or up to the dash. I haven't decided where i want my tweeters yet, so I will do some stage testing using double sided tape.

20170202_192306 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                20170202_193723 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                20170202_205426 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

I also found one of my rattles, there are little access panels on the rear hatch that open to allow you to change the tail light bulbs, they were a bit loose so I wrapped them in black suede for a tighter fit, and because suede is the best.

20170202_215052 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                20170202_215100 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Also decided to fit my Yakima roof racks, I might need to adjust the spacing/layout on the vehicle, but I like them, they sit very low to the roof and are very solid.

20170202_225358 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                20170202_225420 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                BAASSSSSSS

February 03, 2017, 12:15 PM #58

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
                  • Reputation Power: 52
                  • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
                  all of your suede wrapping, I might have to try that out on my pillars
                  It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

February 03, 2017, 12:20 PM #59

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Shier
                    all of your suede wrapping, I might have to try that out on my pillars
                    Its fairly easy to do, and give a nice finish and appearance. In my opinion at least
                    BAASSSSSSS

February 04, 2017, 11:46 AM #60

Ctown8 Offline

Not much of a visual update, but I installed the front speakers last night, it was fairly difficult, these speakers are huge and I didn't foresee just how little space I had to work with, using a 3/4" spacer/ring, I was still touching the window and the speaker was already sticking out further than oem. I ended up using a foam cup to seal the speaker away from the inside of the door and to help space the speaker away form the window another 1/4", then at a slight angle, it cleared the window. When I roll my windows all the way down I can hear the window just gently brush against the foam, but it should be fine.

2017-02-04_11-17-02 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

The Tweeters are currently double sided taped to the dash in the corner where the a pillars, dash and windshield meet. Since they are bi-amped I have independent volume control over the woofer and tweeters, the tweets are a bit bright (loud) at the moment so I will have to dial them back a bit tonight. Imaging is pretty good where they are, I will have a better idea once their level is set properly though. I will try moving them to a couple other possible locations including in the door in the OEM location and on the A pillars facing the middle of the vehicle.

I will then decide which place sounds best and install them permanently there.

The 4ch speaker amp is now wired as well obviously, sounds really good so far, just needs some tuning.

Tonight I plan on wrapping the rest of the remaining pieces with suede and installing my exhaust hangers.
                      BAASSSSSSS

February 04, 2017, 01:33 PM #61

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                        • Reputation Power: 64
                        • #StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!
                        I bet this thing sounds freaking amazing....

February 04, 2017, 01:48 PM #62

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                          I bet this thing sounds freaking amazing....
                          Ah I wouldn't say freaking amazing yet, but it sounds pretty good, once its tuned better it will sound freaking incredible though :lol:
                          BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 10:31 AM #63

Ctown8 Offline

So the first cover ring I made for the subwoofer has a slight imperfection on the top, but I had plans of making two covers anyway, so I used the one with the imperfection for my "durable" cover. The one that will actually protect the subwoofer if need be.

I started by making three rings, one of 3/4", and two of 1/2", on one of the 1/2" rings I routered out a 1/16" depth slot for a grill I trimmed to fit in place. Basically to sandwich the grill between the two rings without a gap between them. This would serve as a protective cover, while still allowing the subwoofer to play and sound good.

20170204_142004 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_201032 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_201042 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_201050 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_201803 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_201808 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_201115 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            20170204_202012 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                            Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:33 AM by Ctown8
                            BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 10:51 AM #64

Ctown8 Offline

I couldn't figure out a good way to wrap it with suede so I ended up using rocker guard, it looks kinda rugged and durable I guess, I can always change it in the future. I also routered the outside edge with a 1/2" deep 45, and did the inside edge with a 1/4" round over, to compliment the amp rack.

20170204_224840 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                              20170205_183308 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                              20170205_183312 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

A few more layers of rocker was added after the last photo, the seem is barely visible now, but I might still do another layer.
                              Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:14 AM by Ctown8
                              BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 11:25 AM #65

Ctown8 Offline

Exhaust is a little loud as I've said before, so I decided to do some sound deadening to reduce the vibrations and to also stop the rattles from the subwoofer. I started by removing the rear cover on the hatch and the two side pieces that I know were rattling for sure.

20170205_185211 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                20170205_185435 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                20170205_185437 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                20170205_185440 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                20170205_185216 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

The first thing I do when I remove a panel is look it over to find anything that doesn't fit tight, or has some jiggle innit, the white clips seen below very commonly jiggle a bit in place and can cause rattle, so simply applying some fabric tesa tape, or hockey stick tape, whatever suits your fancy (tesa is thinner), helps to reduce these panel vibrations, or at least make them quieter.

20170205_185726 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                20170205_185955 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Next I removed the OEM sound dampening material, and replaced it with some better butyl/aluminum and foam based stuff from focal.

20170205_190711 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                20170205_191711 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

I didn't take any pictures of it, but I also applied a few pieces of regular deadener (butyl + aluminum, no foam) to the inside of the tail gate, using what is known as the 25% method. Basically covering 25% of panels with sound deadener will remove about 90% of vibration and the other 75% doesn't matter as much (law of diminishing returns).

Another cool trick is using the tesa tape on wire running along panels, if you gently tap the wires, you can hear a ting as the hard electrical tape hits the metal, by simply wrapping fabric based tape around the wire where its likely to contact metal, you can drastically reduce unwanted sound - try it.
                                BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 11:28 AM #66

Ctown8 Offline

Next in hopes to reduce interior sound levels even further, I one again gutted the trunk (only beyond the amp rack) and applied more sound deadener, specifically over the area where the exhaust is. I could tell a lot of sound was coming in through there because if I knocked on the area with my knuckles I could hear a twang sorta sound, after applying the deadener, this turns in to more of a thud (which is what we want).

20170205_201730 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                  20170205_205040 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Exhaust is noticeably quieter now, I am very happy with the results, also there is no more rattle from the bass that I've noticed yet.
                                  BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 11:34 AM #67

Ctown8 Offline

Since I had the trunk disassembled I figured it would be the perfect time to wrap the remaining trunk pieces with black fabric. I started with the amp cover, and then did the two side panels.

20170205_210111 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                    20170205_210117 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                    20170205_205402 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                    20170205_210449 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                    20170205_210455 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Its not perfect as you can see, but with the amps filling in the holes, it covers any and all imperfections, so its good enough.
                                    BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 11:38 AM #68

Ctown8 Offline

Wrapping the side panels was a bit tricky since they both have little trap doors for storage, I carefully removed the clips and masked off areas I didn't want glue. I'm not totally pleased with how they turned out, but again, they are good enough unless you look really close in a couple spots.

20170205_210555 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                      20170205_210606 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                      20170205_210631 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                      20170205_212553 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                      20170205_214235 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                      20170205_220929 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                      BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 11:41 AM #69

Ctown8 Offline

It all came together very nicely, I may still want to tweak it in the future, but for now, the trunk area is complete. Sound is fantastic and my trunk is still completely usable. I still have a bit more work to do on tweeter mounting, but I have a plan for that, updates soon.

Here is the trunk as it sits now.

20170205_223003 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        20170205_223008 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        20170205_223124 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        20170205_223135 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        20170205_223238 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        BAASSSSSSS

February 06, 2017, 12:38 PM #70

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                                          • Reputation Power: 230
                                          • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                                          Great progress Colin.
                                          2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                                          2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

February 06, 2017, 06:29 PM #71

Winter Beater Offline

• Vehicle: 03 350Z Track Edition, 05 4 Runner, 98 GMC Shitbox
                                            • Reputation Power: 95
                                            • Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!Winter Beater has great potential!
                                            Originally posted by dan

Spare tires are overrated... I've needed a spare tire once in 10 years.. I've needed a sub 3650 times in 10 years... sub > spare tire

February 07, 2017, 09:06 AM #72

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Winter Beater
                                              Spare tires are overrated... I've needed a spare tire once in 10 years.. I've needed a sub 3650 times in 10 years... sub > spare tire
                                              Words to live by.
                                              BAASSSSSSS

February 07, 2017, 09:30 AM #73

Ctown8 Offline

Decided to see what sliding into a ditch felt like last night.. I was rattled at first but was able to move a bit back and forth and rocked out  :alien: luckily I wasn't in that deep, but the snow was definitely touching my side skirt cause I could hear a slight crunch when I slid in. Thankfully no damage.

20170206_195256 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                                20170206_195307 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

BAASSSSSSS

February 07, 2017, 09:32 AM #74

Ctown8 Offline

Also swung by to see @dano last night, he had some goodies for me from his parts car, and I finally filled the two holes in my console, and can now hold like 10$ in loonies or something.

20170206_221422 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                                  BAASSSSSSS

Top Tier Imports

Frosti? Colins 01 fSTI
                                                    « Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 09:32 AM »