Author Topic: FROSTI, Colins 01 fSTI  (Read 6097 times)

April 03, 2017, 04:16 PM #125

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
  • Reputation Power: 128
  • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
I have think I some white vinyl we could try it with.... it may or may not colour match though.

If you winter it, look at the KW Variant Coils. Aluminum won't seize with our salty roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
'94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
IG: colby_spence
Snap: cspence47

Top Tier Imports

FROSTI, Colins 01 fSTI
    « Reply #125 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16 PM »

April 03, 2017, 04:43 PM #126

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
    • Reputation Power: 126
    • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
    Originally posted by Colby
    I have think I some white vinyl we could try it with.... it may or may not colour match though.

If you winter it, look at the KW Variant Coils. Aluminum won't seize with our salty roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lets do it! It doesnt look like KW has coils for wagon imprezas, which is what my forester is I believe.
    Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:48 PM by Ctown8
    BAASSSSSSS
    I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
    My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
    Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

April 04, 2017, 12:31 PM #127

krez003 Offline

• Reputation Power: 1
      • krez003 has no influence.
      Originally posted by Ctown8
      Put the summer wheels on this weekend, I'm pretty happy with the fitment. Kinda wish they were a higher offset but thats just the ricer in me coming out. Tires are currently 225/40/18, I plan on bumping them up to 245's in the future, but they're practically brand new so not yet.
      Hey, if you are interested i have everything you need to use 10mm spacers for sale. Arp studs, hubcentric spacers, and lug nuts. 

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
      Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:24 PM by krez003

April 04, 2017, 01:19 PM #128

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by krez003
        Hey, if you are interested i have everything you need to use 10mm spacers for sale. Arp studs, hubcentric spacers, and lug nuts. 

I'll think about it, I want to see how it looks when I lower it and I want to go to bigger rubber so that will most likely alleviate the need for more offset.
        Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 03:04 PM by Ctown8
        BAASSSSSSS
        I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
        My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

April 04, 2017, 02:25 PM #129

krez003 Offline

• Reputation Power: 1
          • krez003 has no influence.
          Originally posted by Ctown8
          Would you mind deleting the photos from your comment? Thanks, also I'll think about it, I want to see how it looks when I lower it and I want to go to bigger rubber so that will most likely alleviate the need for more offset.
          Yeah no problem, didnt know i could do that!

April 15, 2017, 10:50 AM #130

Ctown8 Offline

Well my Friday was good, Thursday.. not so much. (good Friday pun intended.)

So I decided to lower Frosti on Thursday evening, assuming I would have lots of time in case something went wrong, as usual with car stuff.. I got the first strut out quite quickly and used my spring compressors to take the load off the strut, although even with them compressed pretty far, the strut still "popped" out more than I expected. This is when I noticed the strut was a lil leaky and I could not pull it up all the way without it jumping back down to the halfway point. So I couldn't get my lowering spring onto the strut even if i compressed the spring a bunch. Not impressed at all, but I messaged @C.J974 who put his fozzy on coils just after he got it and I went and picked up his old struts and springs on Friday morning.

I'm still not actually sure, but I think my "sti" struts are stronger than the average "stb" struts and springs, if any one can confirm this that would be good. Either way, 3 of his were better than mine except one oodly enough, so I continued and finished lowering the car on Friday. Haven't really been able to test drive it yet other than taking it to my local car wash, I had to disconnect the brake lines on the front to get them through the strut.. Thanks Subaru. and apparently either I suck at bleeding brakes or I didn't bleed them in the right order (hard to believe it can make that big a difference though). So today I will pick up more brake fluid and do a flush of all my old fluid. (it was coming out with a yellow tinge and then I ran out of fresh fluid).

It appears that Carsons old springs are taller, yet softer than my STI springs, here is a side by side comparison of the fronts.

20170414_123128 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

here are a bunch of pictures of everything I did. and who said my trunk is useless..

20170401_182132 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            20170412_173420 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            20170412_200821 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Freshly sandblasted then clear coated so they wont rust as fast. I'll also mention that I plan on getting coilovers as soon as I can afford it.
            Here it is lowered:

20170414_162029 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            20170414_122845 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            20170414_175506 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            20170414_175521 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            20170414_175530 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
            BAASSSSSSS

April 15, 2017, 10:55 AM #131

Ctown8 Offline

When I bought the forester it only had one braided brake line installed in the front since the other line fitting was semi-seized and the PO was unable to break it loose.

Dad gave me a hand and we got it off and installed the second braided line. Thanks to a bit of heat, lots of PB blaster, and a set of vice grips.

20170413_191225 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
              20170414_105725 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
              20170414_105824 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
              20170414_110738 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
              20170414_115327 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
              20170413_205831 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
              BAASSSSSSS

April 15, 2017, 11:24 AM #132

Ctown8 Offline

And heres another beauty shot in the garage, hopefully get out and do a proper photoshoot in the next week or so.

33894836312_11165edca3_o by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                33209253144_f41c4d5045_o by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                BAASSSSSSS

April 15, 2017, 01:02 PM #133

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                  • Reputation Power: 247
                  • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                  looks very clean Colin!
                  2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                  2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

April 15, 2017, 01:06 PM #134

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                    looks very clean Colin!
                    Thanks Igor
                    BAASSSSSSS

April 24, 2017, 10:33 AM #135

Ctown8 Offline

Did the timing belt on Saturday, not really sure if it needed to be done yet, but its done.

20170422_220447 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                      20170422_220840 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                      20170423_113813 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Before
                      and
                      After

20170423_121306 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                      20170423_131647 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Looks like I forgot to take a pic of the fresh pulleys and belt, oh well. Covers look nice and black again though.
                      BAASSSSSSS

April 24, 2017, 12:11 PM #136

Igor Offline

• Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                        How hard was the timing belt change? I guess you didn't bother doing the water pump at the same time?

April 24, 2017, 12:24 PM #137

Ctown8 Offline

How hard was the timing belt change? I guess you didn't bother doing the water pump at the same time?
                          It was very easy, took only a few hours, hardest part was getting the stupid rad fan out, there is a hook on the bottom that holds a rubber coolant line and its nearly impossible to undo since there is a thin piece of sheet metal right where the hose needs to go to unclip.. I did not do the water pump, I don't really see a point yet, next time the belt is done I will already have the pump though and or the next owner.

Only thing that scared me was when putting on the new belt, the pass side exhaust cam pulley spun itself a quarter turn clockwise and stopped rather abruptly, had to turn it back with a 10mm hex to get the timing marks to line up, but it started up no problem so I assume its fine.
                          BAASSSSSSS

April 24, 2017, 02:54 PM #138

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                            • Reputation Power: 85
                            • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                            there's no way to lock them in place?

although if it's running fine I wouldn't worry about it.

April 24, 2017, 03:02 PM #139

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                              there's no way to lock them in place?

although if it's running fine I wouldn't worry about it.
                              Not that I know of, I had them clamped together just tight enough so they wouldn't move but.. they moved. All seems fine though, drove it to work this morning, runs like always.
                              BAASSSSSSS

April 24, 2017, 03:04 PM #140

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                                • Reputation Power: 85
                                • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                                all good then!
                                yeah some vehicles they can be locked some can't. way it goes.

April 24, 2017, 03:13 PM #141

Ctown8 Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                                  all good then!
                                  yeah some vehicles they can be locked some can't. way it goes.

i know my celica you can get a tool that actually sits between the teeth so it cant move, but I dont know of any for subaru.
                                  BAASSSSSSS

April 24, 2017, 03:18 PM #142

Igor Offline

Company 23 makes a camlock tool http://www.company23.com/subarutools/506

as well as other subaru tools http://www.company23.com/subarutools

April 24, 2017, 03:22 PM #143

Ctown8 Offline

Company 23 makes a camlock tool http://www.company23.com/subarutools/506

as well as other subaru tools http://www.company23.com/subarutools
                                      wow thats smart af

I did learn a neat trick while doing my belt this time. In an auto you cant just put the car in gear to crack the crank pulley, but what you can do it take the alternator belt and only put it around the alt and the crank pulley, then turn the crank pulley causing the belt to wrap itself up and this stops it from turning with enough force to loosen the bolt, probably not great for the alternator but it worked!
                                      BAASSSSSSS

April 26, 2017, 12:12 PM #144

Ctown8 Offline

Thanks to rocks on the highway my corner light got a big hole in it the other day, I got in touch with Jesse Streeter and found what I needed on Yahoo Auctions, he made everything super easy and I got my light a couple weeks after bidding on it!

20170426_102844 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        20170426_113613 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                        BAASSSSSSS

July 18, 2017, 12:04 PM #145

Ctown8 Offline

Not much to update here, took the car out to Kenora a few days prior to Driven, had a blast and hit a few hundred bugs. Pics incoming from that.

20170705_123517 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

I lit up the subwoofer with some LED's for some added pop, I think it turned out really cool!

20170708_000412 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr
                                          20170708_000416 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

Took home an award for Best in Class Forester, kind of a gimmicky award but I'll take it!

20170707_233446 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

2017-07-18_11-17-07 by Colin McAndrew, on Flickr

BAASSSSSSS

Top Tier Imports

FROSTI, Colins 01 fSTI
                                            « Reply #145 on: July 18, 2017, 12:04 PM »