Author Topic: How many KM's is too many for a new build?  (Read 479 times)

January 23, 2017, 11:59 PM #0

jessetabak Offline

• Vehicle: 1996 Pontiac Firebird, 2003 Honda Element
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • jessetabak has no influence.
I have a Honda Element with around 355000ish KM's and I'm very on the fence about putting some money into it. I'd like to make it more capable off road and maybe make a little more power because its pretty underpowered but I don't know if its worth it with all the kilometres. Any advice?

Top Tier Imports

How many KM's is too many for a new build?
    « on: January 23, 2017, 11:59 PM »

January 24, 2017, 08:39 AM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 173
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    Originally posted by jessetabak
    I have a Honda Element with around 355000ish KM's and I'm very on the fence about putting some money into it. I'd like to make it more capable off road and maybe make a little more power because its pretty underpowered but I don't know if its worth it with all the kilometres. Any advice?
    Id say your better off finding a platform with less wear.
    355 000 is a lot of abuse on suspension, bushings etc. as well as the motor. Once you start modding stuff, you're going to start finding the weak links and breaking/wearing stuff out quicker. You'll find yourself spending more and more money on maintenance, which, if its a daily driver can be a real pain in the ass.

Adding bigger tires or a lift (Im assuming thats what you mean by "more capable off road") will also have added stress on the motor/trans/driveline. I don't think an Elemant would be the greatest platform for what you're looking to do.

I wouldn't be comfortable dumping money into a vehicle like that.
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

January 24, 2017, 08:54 AM #2

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
      • Reputation Power: 353
      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
      Is yours auto or manual?

What about finding a K24A2 from a TSX and swapping that in there? Should be good for an extra 40hp compared to what you have right now, and that would take care of the mileage, motor wise anyways.

January 24, 2017, 12:47 PM #3

jessetabak Offline

• Vehicle: 1996 Pontiac Firebird, 2003 Honda Element
        • Reputation Power: 2
        • jessetabak has no influence.
        I know the Element isn't the most ideal off road vehicle but I rather work with what I have. I use it as a winter car and I take it camping in the summer. It would definitely be nice to take it on some trails when I go camping but nothing too crazy.

January 25, 2017, 08:39 PM #4

Colby Online

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
          • Reputation Power: 97
          • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
          Originally posted by jessetabak
          While 355+ is to many for an engine build or anything. Why not invest in mods that can be transferrable? Aux Lighting, Tires, Wheels (assuming its a common size/bolt pattern), Roto Pax, Awnings, roof rack, basket, things like that. That way when the vehicle inevitably dies, you can pull all your goodies off and transfer them to another rig and not be to worried about losing all that investment.

Lift Kits, Bumpers, Crash bars, hitches, things like that, stay with that vehicle.

You dont need power to overland, just style!
          '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
          '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
          IG: colby_spence
          Snap: cspence47

January 26, 2017, 05:41 PM #5

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
            • Reputation Power: 17
            • cluelessk has no influence.
            I can't really see a problem with it.

If it's maintained well the mileage doesn't mean much. It's pretty much at the point where it's worthless to sell because of mileage.

Originally posted by jordisonjr

I wouldn't be comfortable dumping money into a vehicle like that.

There's actually a pretty big off road following for these. It'll never be a off road monster but would still be fun at a place like Seddons.
            [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

January 26, 2017, 05:59 PM #6

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
              • Reputation Power: 54
              • #StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.
              I don't see an element doing much for off roading on trails. Areas like seddons? sure, but even a car can handle seddons.

have to ask yourself, is it worth dumping a bunch of money into an element when your goal is trails and offroad? Are you really going to be offroading? or just want the look. At the end of the day, It's still got IRS and IFS. It's not going to be very capable.

January 27, 2017, 12:17 PM #7

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST, '00 MX5 S/C
                • Reputation Power: 120
                • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                Shameless plug-just buy my Jeep, it's in the FS section.
                #keepingitstock

January 27, 2017, 05:55 PM #8

heiyuu Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Civic, 05 Frontier, 98 Integra, 93 180sx
                  • Reputation Power: 34
                  • heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.
                  Originally posted by Riley
                  Shameless plug-just buy my Jeep, it's in the FS section.

I think he wants something more reliable than what he has, not less reliable

Top Tier Imports

How many KM's is too many for a new build?
                    « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:55 PM »