Author Topic: Salvage R33 GTR - Another sad SpeedPls skyline  (Read 473 times)

January 27, 2017, 03:24 AM #0

SpeedPls Offline

• Vehicle: BCNR33 V-Spec
  • Reputation Power: 69
  • SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!
BCNR33-006200; the story of a build, devastation, and restoration.

So this is not really going to be an active build/journal, but more of a reflection. I will break it up into a few parts and write it as my free time allows over the next few days. I think I am done with the project, so I doubt there will be updates after the next couple of posts. To be honest I hadn't planned on doing a journal as I was in a rush at the time, but it feels wrong not to after writing threads for my past 95 GTR and 91 GTR. So without further ado; the story of bringing one of Winnipeg's OG skylines back from the dead.

Chapter 1: Vince builds a show car

Many of you will recognize this car as @ChezoR33 's old car. And yes, this was his baby. But even before that, it was imported into Canada in October of 2010 by @Messiahlee . I believe it was the first and only BCNR33 V-Spec in Manitoba until @KT_RYU  brought his in. During Jin's ownership it even sported the infamously stolen Nismo LMGT1 wheels before they're were put on the 32 and sold to @JosiahP . Jin if you read this, I hope you can dig up some photos of this thing from back in the day. Vince sent me the export certificate as well as a photo from the day he bought it in 2011. You can see the LMGT1s coming off in that photo.

Vince bought it in pretty much stock form. Here are some photos I'm going to steal off his photobucket.

From off the top of my head, here's some of what Vince did to the car:
- Carbon fiber lip
- Aftermarket wheels
- Aftermarket exhaust and test pipe
- Aftermarket intakes
- Aluminum radiator installed - he did a great write up of that HERE
- Engine covers stripped and polished
- Coilovers
- Carbon fiber hood

I do know that once all this was done, it was the best looking R33 GTR in the province by far. I believe it made it into a few of the local shows back in the day as well as the GTR Canada calendar. Sadly I couldn't find any photos of this thing in it's final form before the crash. Maybe some of the photographers on here might post some of thier shots of it below. Here are some photo's of it without the carbon hood;

I'm sure there is lots I am missing. I'll try to add more to this first part in a bit after I talk to Vince.

Much love and time was put into making this car beautiful. Sadly this story took a few turns for the worse.

To be continued...
Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:07 PM by SpeedPls
My Flickr

1995 Skyline GTR V-Spec
1991 Skyline GTR - sold
1995 Skyline GTR - sold

Top Tier Imports

Salvage R33 GTR - Another sad SpeedPls skyline
    « on: January 27, 2017, 03:24 AM »

January 27, 2017, 05:57 PM #1

heiyuu Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Civic, 05 Frontier, 98 Integra, 93 180sx
    • Reputation Power: 34
    • heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.
    o hai iz ken!

January 28, 2017, 04:17 PM #2

SpeedPls Offline

• SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!
      Vince found me a pic of the car with the carbon hood. Here is is:

My Flickr

1995 Skyline GTR V-Spec
      1991 Skyline GTR - sold
      1995 Skyline GTR - sold

January 28, 2017, 04:25 PM #3

SpeedPls Offline

Chapter 2: the death of a skyline

Well you know what they say, all good things come to an end. Some of the TTI OGs might remember the series of unfortunate events that befell this poor car:

- The Jmacs autobody drama when they ****ed up a wheel while joyriding it, and had over spray everywhere. Thread here
        - The hail damage that warranted a full respray in 2013.
        - The mirror that was written on with sharpie
        - The theft attempt. Thread here
        - And shortly after, the front end collision that ultimately wrote it off

Despite the very minimal damage from the collision, unfortunately the car was written off in 2014. My understanding is that if you have two insurance claims out on a older car at the same time, they will write it off automatically. Especially if it is RHD. We all know MPI's stance on JDM cars.

Here's a photo:

As you can see the damage was fairly minimal. The bumper was cracked, rad support bent, hood latch bent, rad cracked, headlights cracked, crash bar was mangled. And to top it off a tow truck driver managed to destroy the carbon fiber lip while moving the car around at the MPI lot. Vince wasn't in a position to fix the car at the time and to be honest I think he was tired of owning it.

After waiting a few weeks for a decision, he listed it for sale as a salvage title for DIRT cheap. I wanted to buy it, but at the time I already had my other two GTRs and I certainly didn't need a third. Not that I could have afforded three at once anyways.

It was scooped up by Travis who had at the time recently blown up the engine in his BNR32. He needed an engine and this was the perfect donor. Especially since the R33 rb26 engine and tranny are stronger than that of the R32s. And so, for a while it looked like this would be the end of the story this sad skyline. Giving life to another dead GTR is a noble way to go, but fortunately that is not the end of this story.
        Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:21 AM by SpeedPls
        My Flickr

1995 Skyline GTR V-Spec
        1991 Skyline GTR - sold
        1995 Skyline GTR - sold

March 09, 2017, 04:08 PM #4

Christian Offline

• Vehicle: 13 Civic
          • Reputation Power: 46
          • Christian might someday be someone...Christian might someday be someone...Christian might someday be someone...Christian might someday be someone...
          All I see

Top Tier Imports

Salvage R33 GTR - Another sad SpeedPls skyline
            « Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:08 PM »