Author Topic: 2015+ STI thoughts?  (Read 546 times)

January 27, 2017, 06:20 PM #0

N1ck Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
  • N1ck has no influence.
Haven't posted here in quite sometime, I am considering leasing a new 2017 STI base. I have never owned a Subaru before, the combination of AWD and turbo gets me excited, ive had a 2011 RA and it was rather satisfying.

Looking for any owners on here that can give me their two cents on them?

This will be a daily driver that will be used for business use, I do not plan on modding, I am looking for a very fun daily right out of the box. I did consider the new WRX, I found the interior a little too basic and boring for my taste. I am aware that the STI is a very dated engine and has poor fuel economy compared to the WRX. My employer pays all my fuel so that is not an issue. Plus the sound of UEL is money!

I am considering a 48 month lease at 24kms/yr

Other options I have thought about include the Focus ST and VW GTI 5 door. The Focus is not refined enough for my taste and is just a little bit too "young" for work. The VW is very nicely equipped but the fwd thing is a the draw back.
Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 06:36 PM by N1ck
1993 Del Sol Si
2015 Kia Sportage EX Luxury AWD
2015 Chrysler 300 Limited

Top Tier Imports

2015+ STI thoughts?
    « on: January 27, 2017, 06:20 PM »

January 27, 2017, 08:19 PM #1

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 165
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    I don't have any insight to owning an STI, but I do know leases...

My thoughts on leasing: 0/10 would not do again.

gif representation of how you think leasing is gonna go:

Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:45 AM by Vince
    (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

January 27, 2017, 11:55 PM #2

Juan Offline

• Vehicle: FRS
      • Reputation Power: 25
      • Juan barely matters.Juan barely matters.
      Have you thought about the Golf R? I think its more comparable to a STI than the GTI is.
      FAHRVERGNÜGEN

January 28, 2017, 09:27 AM #3

N1ck Offline

• N1ck has no influence.
        Originally posted by Vince
        I don't have any insight to owning an STI, but I do know leases...

My thoughts on leasing: 0/10 would not do again.

gif representation of how you think leasing is gonna go:

What issues are you having with your lease? I generally purchase a new car every 18-24 months, depreciation is brutal. I am also wanting lease for tax purposes.

Originally posted by Juan
        Have you thought about the Golf R? I think its more comparable to a STI than the GTI is.

Yes you're right, GTI is a fair comparison with the WRX. The Golf R does look interesting, my local dealer doesn't have one on their lot to see / drive.
        1993 Del Sol Si

January 28, 2017, 10:04 AM #4

Shaun Online

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
          • Reputation Power: 364
          • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
          What exactly are you looking for from us? If you're looking for a fun AWD car you really can't go wrong with a brand new STI. If you haven't driven one I think that should be first on your agenda.

January 28, 2017, 11:51 AM #5

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
            • Reputation Power: 124
            • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
            If a Focus ST is too "young" for work, I fail to see how an STi fits the bill. Even though their price point is pretty high, they scream boy racer too.

Given any thought to a Focus RS?

If you're wanting something that doesn't look too "young" perhaps an Audi of some sort? You can get turbocharged AWD there too. If you're not averse to looking at pre-owned, it looks like you could lease an Audi S4 certified pre-owned. Quick search showed 2014 model years of that in the low 40k range.
            Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:55 AM by Riley
            #keepingitstock

January 28, 2017, 01:13 PM #6

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
              • Reputation Power: 19
              • cluelessk has no influence.
              STi is still based on a pretty basic economy car and it shows.

Pre-owned Audi or similar would be a way better daily experience.
              [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

February 03, 2017, 02:19 PM #7

xrdriver Offline

• Vehicle: '15 STi &'10 STi
                • Reputation Power: 15
                • xrdriver has no influence.
                Have you driven an STi?  I would say that if a Focus is "too young" for work then an STi would be too.

When I was shopping for a new car I test drove a BMW 335xi, Audi S4, Mercedes C400 4matic and a 2015 STi Limited.

I ended up buying the STi because it is less 'refined' than the other cars. It feels much more raw and I didn't feel I was old enough to drive the other cars.  I don't use my car for business but if you have to drive clients around the ride quality is not going to impress them.  Sure, it is a quick and nimble car but it is rough.  That's what I like most about it :). The other cars felt heavy and sluggish. They did not handle nearly as well.  I also consider the AWD system in the STi to be superior to the other cars. The Audi has a $2000 option for a rear LSD but it does not come stock. The STi has front and rear LSD and an electronically controlled center diff. If you are the type of person who leaves the electronic traction control on you will not notice a difference but I turn that off whenever I drive.

Another reason I chose the STi is because it is my 4th Subaru (my wife drives a 2010 STi) and I am familiar with their reliability and low cost of ownership.  I was worried about maintenance costs with the other cars. My friend had to pay $1500 to replace a ball joint on his Benz and that worried me. Oil changes are also a fraction of the cost of the European brands. That might not concern you but it did me :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

February 07, 2017, 06:09 PM #8

N1ck Offline

• N1ck has no influence.
                  Thanks for the reply, I haven't made a decision yet. Yes I will definitely be driving co-workers and clients in the vehicle, I am okay with it being a little stiff. If I go with an STI the base has no spoiler which IMO reduces the boy racer look. I have not driven one as they are not in inventory, I did drive the new WRX.

I recently looked at a new CLA250 and it was decently equipped, handled well and rode a little on the stiff side but was a firm/tight ride. I'm just not comfortable driving a Mercedes as people tend to stereotype even thought it's a bare bones 40K Mercedes.

As per the the local subi dealer, I have untill mid march to factory order an STI.
                  1993 Del Sol Si

Top Tier Imports

2015+ STI thoughts?
                    « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 06:09 PM »