Author Topic: 1973 celica build  (Read 1399 times)

January 29, 2017, 03:09 AM #25

white_cross Offline

• Vehicle: 2004 Mach 1, 2004 impresa, 2007 FJ, 72+73 Celica
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • white_cross has no influence.
So time for a big update. The car now runs. I did this list of stuff to the 18RC:
-Spark plugs
-plug wires
-new coil
- new vacuum lines
-cleaned the distributor points and gapped them
-fixed a bad ground in the distributor
-bought a new carb rebuild kit
-combined the best carb parts between my 1973 and 1972 celia
-new fuel pump
-flushed the radiator and engine cooling system with a garden hose till no rust came out.

The car would run and stall right away and never rev up at all. So I got tired of trying to get it running and started rust repair. I had suspected there might be some acorn nuts in the exhaust system. So yesterday I cut the exhaust right off at the trans mount/cross brace. A bunch of rust flakes and acorn shells dropped out of the tail pipe! I sprayed some brake cleaner in the carb and turned the key it fired right up and revved. So I got my Jerry can of gas and stuck the rubber fuel hose attached to the fuel pump and it started right up with the key and idled beautifully. I revved the motor and it revved strong. This motor seems pretty healthy and does not seem to smoke! I have a video but cant seem to get it to upload to youtube right now.
I poured coolant in the rad and it started leaking on the bottom hose fitting. So I grabbed the other radiator from my "parts ware house" (my garden shed). It was full of acorn nuts so I shook them out and flushed it out installed it and filled it with coolant and it is leak free.
I could not press the clutch pedal down so I hammered on the slave cylinder a couple times and the pedal pushed right down. The slave cylinder is working perfect now and the clutch fork is moving nicely. The thing hindering me now from driving is what I believe to be a clutch frozen onto the fly wheel. With the engine off I can select all the gears. With the engine on I can not shift into any gears when the clutch is pressed down. If I start it in gear the car will roll forward. If I start it in gear with the clutch engaged it will roll forward. I will work with that to see if I can fee it up and then drive it. The other thing that  me was the brakes were not frozen and worked!

Top Tier Imports

1973 celica build
    « Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 03:09 AM »

January 29, 2017, 03:10 AM #26

white_cross Offline

TIme to do something about the passenger side. It goes so much smoother once you have done it once. Here is what I get to start with:

The front fire wall corner:

The lower dog leg to fire wall cut out and new piece fabricated:

Old floor pan cut out and new one test fitted:

new inner dog leg:

outer dog leg:

The passenger side rear floor pan foot section of floor was completely crumpled from either jumping the car in its past or falling off the jack stands. I hammered an dollied it back to shape:

before:

After:

And the final piece of this puzzle the 90 degree edge of the floor pan that goes under the floor pan and the rear seat brace:

January 29, 2017, 03:13 AM #27

white_cross Offline

Clutch is free! The car drives! I drove it 1 foot   I so wanted to drive it around the block but the car is quite loud and I don't want to bug the neighbors. So no trip around the block. I did reuse the old resignator (not sure on spelling) It quieted it down some what. But the beauty of the car running and driving I can drive the 4 blocks to my parents to use the welder instead of towing the car.
      So to get the clutch free I went about it this way: My wife sat in the car and put it in 4th gear and applied the clutch and brake and I grabbed my breaker bar and used it on the crank shaft pulley. I wiggled it back and forth and then there was a clunk noise and it was free!

here are 2 videos.

The first start up after cutting off the exhaust:

Here is the first time I drove it once around the block:

Note I did not let the car warm up and the carb is not adjusted. So it is stumbling when I leave the driveway and is burning excess fuel. But it felt so good to drive the car.

January 29, 2017, 03:14 AM #28

white_cross Offline

I was able to get all the repair panels welded in. So from fire wall to front seat brace is all welded in place. Just need to do some grinding to smooth out the welds. I donít know what my thoughts are on the 3M weldthrough primer are yet. It makes really ugly looking welds. The only reason I am using it is to prevent rust on the lap welds etc.

Time to tackle the passenger rear half inner rocker:

Cut out the inner rocker:

The front section of the rear wheel tub looked like this:

So i cut it out and made a new corner:

Here is the old inner rocker on top of the new cardboard template note the seat belt backing plate with the welded on nuts is also in that mess and rusted in half:

and the inner rocker is made (this piece is going to be added to my list of sheet metal repair panels):

Inner rocker tech screwed in place:

I built a new seat belt backing plate out of some thicker 12 gauge steel:

The seat belt is being test fitted and it fits in place very nicely:

This is under the rear seat. I cut out the floor pan section that sits over the rear control arm mounting (maybe called a torque box?) The floor pan was fairly solid but there was a lot of rust on the torque box inside. I am going to leave this open till I get the whole floor sand blasted. Then I can epoxy prime this aria and close it back up again:

January 29, 2017, 03:16 AM #29

white_cross Offline

When I was hammering and dollying the rear floor pan straight I was wondering if the car had fallen off some jack stands or been jumped because the frame rails and floor pans and roccker pannels had a bunch of dents in them. Then the other day at the rear of the drive shaft tunnel under the rear seat i found some deeper indents with paint rubbed off that matched the universal joints:

Maybe I need to change my color choice from turquoise to orange and my autocross number to 01

Here are my first 2 thoughts enjoy the clips:

January 29, 2017, 03:16 AM #30

white_cross Offline

A little update, the pass side rear corner has patches made up and tech screwed in place.

January 29, 2017, 03:17 AM #31

white_cross Offline

This piece was kind of more complex to make with it's multiple angles and ribbing running over the angles. I also had to line up the ribs with the ribs on the existing floor panel which was a bit of a challenge because none of them are exactly the same width or depth. I had contemplated replacing the whole floor tub but upon closer inspection the rest of the floor tub looks to be quite solid.

January 29, 2017, 03:18 AM #32

white_cross Offline

I just finished welding in the right rear section of the cabin with the exception of the weld on nuts on the inside of the inner rocker to hold on the seat belt reel. I was hoping to get new weld on nuts uptown but I am told that these are specific to Toyota and that they could not get a match to the bolts from my Toyota. So I am going to have to clean up my old ones and reuse them.

Here is the progress so far:

I also had to build a section of the rear torque box:

[/URL
                [URL=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/1973celica/media/IMG_6796_zps1sv0k59z.jpg.html]

Next up this weekend is building and replacing the whole frame rail I cut out the rusted out area but decided to just build a whole new piece.

January 29, 2017, 03:19 AM #33

white_cross Offline

When I was welding in the floor on the passenger side I noticed there was a small hole in the frame rail. I decided to take a screw driver to the frame rail and I came up with a bunch more soft spots that punched through So I decided to make a new section of frame rail:

January 29, 2017, 03:21 AM #34

white_cross Offline

A week ago I was at a good friends place. He has a Miata and is a mechanic for the local Ford dealer. He is also into cars. He started sharing his plans of putting an M62 supercharger on his Miata motor. The M62 or m45 is an Eaton made unit that came stock on the older Pontiac GTP. I believe these superchargers are pretty cheap to buy. It got me thinking about playing with my 18rc. I kind of am growing attached to this 97 hp motor and its simplicity/reliability. I know this motor is not a performance motor and there are better options to make power with. But I have a pair of 18rc motors. So I could potentially mock up the eaton on one motor set up with a carburetor and a modified stock intake manifold. He also was kind of excited about the idea of the eaton on my car and offered to help set it up. As a bonus the shop right by my house has a Dyno facility so I can run the car on the dyno. to get before and after hp numbers. No plans set in stone on my car but more of an experiment to see how well the motor could preform with cheap boost.

I am thinking once the intake manifold is modified it should be a pretty straight forward swap over. Also a header and proper carb will probably be a must for this set up. Probably a light weight fly wheel too. The motor is around 8.5-1 compression so a plus for supercharging. The other option is make it a blow through carb which would allow me to intercool and not modify the intake manifold.

I did some calculations and my mustang mach 1 which makes 340hp (Stock HP is around 305HP) and weighs around 3300 pounds. So power to weight ratio in stock form it was: 10.81 and now it is: 9.70.

My celica has a power to weight ratio right now (using 2300LBS and 97HP):23.71 So to get a similar power to weight ratio between the two cars I would need to get the celica making about: 237HP

So my question to ponder: is it possible to double the 97 hp in my 18rc? I am not sure where the M62 supercharger is going to place this motor for horsepower. My friend was guessing 160HP with out inter cooled and closer to 200hp inter cooled. I went on google and found a forum talking about turbocharging the 18r and one of the posts talked about a guy in the 1980's who turbocharged his 18r and was running 12 second 1/4 mile passes consistently.

So I took these numbers to a 1/4 mile calculator: https://robrobinette.com/et.htm

The mach 1 stock is supposed to run: 1/4-mile @ MPH: 13.88 seconds @ 101.9 mph (Motor Trend)
                    The 1/4 mile calculator puts the 305hp mach 1 at: 13.54@ 111 miles per hour
                    The 1/4 mile calculator puts my 340HP Mach 1 at: 13.6@ 115 miles per hour
                    (so now I have a rough estimate of how close the 1/4 mile calculator is to the motor trend test)

Then if i put in the celica at 2300lbs and 97 hp i get: 17.59@ 85MPH
                    If I up the power to 200 I get these results: 13.8@ 109MPH

I know these numbers are just estimates but still fun to play around with.

For me My Mach 1 has just the right amount of power to have a lot of fun. So getting that kind of feel out of the celica would be cool.
                    white_cross

January 29, 2017, 10:41 AM #35

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 246
                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                      Awesome build! Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep on updating us on the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 29, 2017, 01:56 PM #36

white_cross Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                        Awesome build! Can't wait to see the finished product. Keep on updating us on the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You for the complements. Soon the trunk will be fully welded up and I will have another update. I have been using Photobucket for pictures but it is so very slow and crashes my internet so often. It would be nice to have a better image hosting site that was free.

January 29, 2017, 02:14 PM #37

#StreetFocus Online

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                          • Reputation Power: 82
                          • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                          This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

January 30, 2017, 09:11 AM #38

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                            • Reputation Power: 120
                            • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                            Wow this is legit af
                            BAASSSSSSS
                            I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                            My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                            Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

January 30, 2017, 11:30 AM #39

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                              • Reputation Power: 246
                              • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                              Originally posted by white_cross
                              Thank You for the complements. Soon the trunk will be fully welded up and I will have another update. I have been using Photobucket for pictures but it is so very slow and crashes my internet so often. It would be nice to have a better image hosting site that was free.

Images could be hosted on imgur for free. You could try try that.
                              2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                              2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 30, 2017, 11:44 AM #40

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                                Originally posted by Igor
                                Images could be hosted on imgur for free. You could try try that.

or flickr
                                BAASSSSSSS
                                I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

January 30, 2017, 12:39 PM #41

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                  • Reputation Power: 199
                                  • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                  Wow nice build! Looking forward to more updates.
                                  I've got a 6th gen celica.
                                  Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                  I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

February 05, 2017, 12:08 AM #42

white_cross Offline

Thanks for the complements guys. I also found out my internet needed resetting and now my Photobucket works properly again.

Well the trunk metal work is done! 

I started with the jack storage it was shot so I cut it out and replaced it with one from a 1974 celica. The 1973 and 1974 have no differences:

Old jack storage:

Rust free 1974 jack storage:

Test fitting 1974 storage: 

repair patches patterned off of the 1974:

Jack storage and small patches welded in and cleaned up:

The driver side trunk needed some work too. Either the back axle seal or brakes are leaking. This section was covered in oil or fluid of some sort, does not matter as it will end up all fresh any ways. explains why the rear brakes do not work:

The frame rail had a couple places where it was cut out with a cutting torch to mount a hitch so I fixed those too, no idea why a small car like this had a hitch any ways:

Also started making the fender mounting locations on top of the strut towers and the outer rad support corners as they are pretty rusted. It appears that this 43 year old car has crumple zones built into the front! I had no idea that kind of thing existed in the 70's:

I also shoveled the snow from the shed and pulled out my crusty spare fenders to find the best one for test fitting while installing the fender mounting structure. Each fender has the exact same rust flaws to some extent, so there must be a way to improve on these places:

March 10, 2017, 09:53 PM #43

white_cross Offline

Been busy making parts in the engine bay:

I also noticed the bumper mounting/tow hook plate was bulging so I cut it out and found what I expected so I repaired the frame rail and built a new plate:

March 18, 2017, 10:17 PM #44

white_cross Offline

I am finished the rusty stuff in the engine compartment with the exception of grinding down a few welds. So with that checked off the list I am almost done the structural rust repair and can start on the body work. It is coming along a lot quicker than I had thought. 

The bottom of the strut towers on both sides along the frame rails needed the same repairs here is the passenger side:

I am also excited about this recent purchase. Santos Toy Shop in California provided me with a very clean rear 1/4 panel requiring just a small rust repair on the rear lower corner I hope to get the other side from him as well:

I stripped the paint from the rust prone areas and they are solid, amazing how a 40 plus year old car does with very little salt:

The other side from santos will not have the rocker panel portion of the 1/4 panel and i am coming up with an idea to build one. If i cut up an existing replacement rocker panel from wolf steel I can make it work for that portion as this photo demonstrates:

April 22, 2017, 06:01 PM #45

white_cross Offline

I found an add on the local Kijiji for a 2003 wrx turbo for a good deal. So my daughter and I went for the 2 hour drive to pick it up. We got to the guys house and it was so cool he had like 6-8 nice sports car parked on his drive way (multipul wrx's, an Evo, a Carlos sans celica etc) all in nice condition. I guess he is kind of a car collector. He showed me the turbo it was mint and no shaft pay. He also had the down pipe which I intend on using for the flange and welding a new down pipe to. I asked if he had an intercooler and he took me to his back yard garage which was full of cool car parts he pulled out a front mount evo intercooler. I purchased the parts and took my daughter for supper at Half Moon a really cool 1950's-1960's themed restaurant for supper at 9pm :)

I know these motors are not worth much but having a spare motor and curiosity of what the motor will make with a turbo on it has got me excited.

My daughter came to hang out with me in the garage the other day:

So the last section of rust repair underneath the car:

And the patch work begins:

At this point I remembered that I had ordered some cut out parts off a 1974 celica from different member on this forum and realized I could probably make something work. So I trimmed up this section of the 1974 floor that I had

Started some real life "photo shop" Took the measurements and cut out the old floor:

Then the 1974 piece got welded in place:

at this point with 1972, 1973, and 1974 celica parts welded into the car I was reminded of this song:

April 22, 2017, 06:23 PM #46

white_cross Offline

got the inner rocker mounted up as well and was able to reuse the seat belt mounting bracket. The seat belt fits nicely too:

The middle of the rear floor pan is rusted through and needed to be fabricated due to a leaky window and standing water:

Time to disassemble for sand blasting the floors:

Test fitting rocker panels they are going to need a little tweaking:

April 22, 2017, 09:22 PM #47

#StreetFocus Online

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                                              • Reputation Power: 82
                                              • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
                                              Looking fantastic man!

April 24, 2017, 09:26 AM #48

Ctown8 Offline

This blows my mind, it looks like its coming along very nicely!
                                                BAASSSSSSS

June 24, 2017, 06:39 PM #49

white_cross Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                                                  Looking fantastic man!
                                                  Originally posted by Ctown8
                                                  This blows my mind, it looks like its coming along very nicely!

Thanks guys. Time for a couple more updates:

I have ordered Some of the parts needed for this build from Toy sport and Santos.

These were my number one must have parts for this car from Toysport and Santos:

I also got the other 1/4 panel from Santos:

My garage was getting full so my basement has 1/2 a car in it:

I also was able to get ahold of this 1985 mr2 manual steering rack:

Cary made up this really nice steering rack conversion bracket for me:

A little test fit with my mr2 steering rack in the bracket and a comparison of the old steering set up vs the new one:

The weight of the two setups feel very similar.

I ordered a set of 1984 rwd Corolla inner and outer tie rods and they were a bit to long so I had the local machine shop cut 1.5 inches off of each outer tie rods and tap the thread as far as it could be tapped. I could not find a tap big enough locally so I had the work done for me. Here is the completed install mocked up it looks very oem sitting in there:

Top Tier Imports

1973 celica build
                                                    « Reply #49 on: June 24, 2017, 06:39 PM »