Author Topic: 1989 Toyota Supra Build  (Read 1140 times)

February 03, 2017, 06:49 PM #0

Soupy Offline

• Vehicle: 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Soupy has no influence.
Hey everyone, many of you may not know me since im new here but Im currently fixing up a 1989 Mk3 Supra.

History of the car: The car originally was purchased right here in Winnipeg by my dad brand new from Frontier Toyota. After a few years he sold it to my grandad who drove it up until around 2012. The car went through a few winters which is responsible for the little amounts of rust, but being garaged helped maintain its shape. The car was repainted some 10years ago along with a engine swap from japan my grandad had done. Other than that the car was untouched up until he gave it to me in October 2014. Since Im more than halfway through Ill try to bring everyone up to date.

2014: I didn't do too much on the car being I had little knowledge on cars since I never was never into them up until then(I was 15). Mainly just cleaned out all the engine parts from the previous engine swap and gave it a good wash. The car hadn't been insured for a few years at sat so the wash was well needed.  Sadly most of the photos were on my old phone which broke.

Also got new OEM spark plug wires and spark plugs I installed

I found the original documents along with the manual which was pretty cool.

Costed a nice 36000$ back in 89.

Early 2015:
Sadly again not many photos but the passenger fender had a dent about a inch deep, and on the front bumper most of the paint was peeling so it was decided that it needed to be fixed. my Dad and I did the prep work and had it painted by a professional.

Picked up a new handbrake cover

Mid 2015: With the money from my new job I picked up a HKS Super Drager exhaust, has a 3 piping with a 5 inch tip. Gives a nice rumble and looks good without sounding like a lawnmower.

After finding the front two speakers were blown I decided it was time for a new sound system... Time for a trip to Brian Riemer Auto. My dad has been buying from them since the 80s so it was a no brainer for which place to go. At the time I didn't know but a member I believe @Ctown8 helped out a lot with picking out the sound system. I picked up the appradio 4, 10 illusion sub, and hertz 4inch and 5.5inch speakers along with a apline 5 channel amp to power it all. Till this day im very pleased with the speaker set up.

Sub box that also fits when the targa tops off  ^-^

Brian Riemer also did the install which was very clean and ive had 0 issues in the almost 2 years i've had it.

Winter 2015:
Since having driven it a whole few times  :-\ ,we found that the brakes needed to be replaced and so did the heater core that didn't work. Along with this I picked up a cxracing intercooler kit and KN air intake, and a HKS downpipe.

Picked up calipers, brake pads and rotors for the brakes

What it looked like all installed

Also found out the heater core didn't have a leak just needed to be flushed

Christmas passed and I got a few goodies to add to the car, a new turbo inlet pipe since mine was cracked, a hard upper rad hose and a new 140amp alternator since mine was going.

Spring 2016:
Now many may not believe it but luck was on my side since conveniently my neighbor owned a 87 supra as well. The car had sat as long as I could remember which left the car rusted pretty bad. I later found out it had a blown head gasket but had the desired 5 speed. I picked it up for a nice little deal and it continued to sit until fall.

Meanwhile after waiting a lifetime I finally got my license and was able to enjoy driving it since I got it almost a year and a half earlier. I sadly didn't know about the TTI meets and just went to the meets near ikea since they super close to me. here are so pictures of the car during last summer.

Got bored and painted the trunk too

Took it to the track up in Gimli and did a few runs during IceFest, around a 15.1 if I remember.

Fall 2016:
Since I had been enjoying the car so much I forgot about the parts car and stripped it, pulled the engine and trans and started to part it out (which I still am).

Started to tear it down

Started also to clean up all the rusty engine parts that had been sitting in the engine for years

Winter 2016: Now this is where the build started to pick up, after having saved for the past 2 years, I started my spending.
What my goals were, pull the engine, trans and drop both sub frames for a little restoration project. Id been observing the car for over 2 years so I felt I was up to the task.

I started with the engine and trans which I pulled out together

Since I was tired of driving around on a worn suspension, I picked up new tie rods, ball joints, front and back polyurethane bushings, sway bar end links, from rock auto. Along with that some braided brake lines. My Megan Racing street Coils finally came in too after a long wait.

Final product with the bushing in I also polished the control arm

First big purchase was from Driftmotion I picked up a solid aluminum drive shaft with upgraded 1350 series u joints, Drift motions R154 rebuild and upgrade kit, new master and slave cylinder, clutch line, and Driftmotions stage 3.5 clutch. All of this was for the manual swap I was going to do.

I continued to tear down and took off the front subframe, disassembled it, and sent it all to be powdercoated

With the engine out my dad picked up a set of paint guns and I bought the supplies for re painting the engine bay.

I built a paint booth(which took at least a day) and masked off everything. Already having sanded it up to 600grit I laid down the primer.

Heres what it looked like after the primer

After more sanding, base coat and clear coat.

I painted it using a GM White.

After I threw in the coils and a few of the little things to get a sense of how it looked

The next big purchase was for bulletproofing the crappy 7M(no JZ for me  ^-^ ).
The order included:
ATI Super Damper
Eagle Rods
Driftmotion upgraded oil pump
Mishimoto radiator
Gates Timing belt
Brian Crowler retainers and springs
ARP main studs and head bolts
O2 sensor
HKS 2mm head gasket.

2017:

Sent the engine off to the machine shop in this time.

A month or so later more parts came in  :banana: .
This order included:
Brain Crowler valve keepers
Driftmotions Oil cooler kit (11x11 oil cooler with oil filter relocation and built in thermostat)
Driftmotions differential rebuild kit along with 4.30 gears
polished pulley gears
Walbro 450lph fuel pump
Braided oil pump line

Now just about up to date, I dropped the gas tank and rear subframe and dis-ambled it. Sent it off to be powdercoated as well. Got the transmission and differential ready to get built.I also managed to find front and rear subframe polyurethane bushings and steering rack bushings that Im just waiting to come in.

I also removed the rear bumper since I had the suspicion of some rush lurking and I was surprised how much.

The back bumper was completely toast which was a bummer.

This brings everyone up to date basically on the build I've been doing for about the past 2.5 years. Ill make sure to keep everyone updated on anything new coming up. The engine and sub frames should be coming back soon enough so Im hoping for it to be all back together by Spring Awakening. Once I have some more money this spring Im looking at sending my turbo to be re-trimmed to a 57mm by Driftmotion,picking up a Ecu master standalone and a bigger set of injectors, possibly 1000cc.

Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:55 PM by Soupy

Top Tier Imports

1989 Toyota Supra Build
    « on: February 03, 2017, 06:49 PM »

February 03, 2017, 07:20 PM #1

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
    • Reputation Power: 54
    • #StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.
    Fantastic. Looking very nice man.

February 03, 2017, 10:43 PM #2

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
      • Reputation Power: 52
      • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
      Some awesome work here.
      It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

February 04, 2017, 12:44 AM #3

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
        Fantastic. Looking very nice man.
        Originally posted by Shier
        Some awesome work here.

Thanks!

February 04, 2017, 09:44 AM #4

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
          • Reputation Power: 98
          • Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!Ctown8 has great potential!
          Thanks for the mention, dont forget the @ before a username ;) Car is looking awesome, you've clearly done a ton of work since we saw it here at the shop! Cant wait to see it at meets this summer.
          BAASSSSSSS
          I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
          My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
          Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

February 04, 2017, 09:48 AM #5

Run Away Offline

• Reputation Power: 17
            • Run Away has no influence.
            Nice build man. Are you going to take your grandad for a ride when it's done?
            -Ben

February 04, 2017, 12:51 PM #6

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by Ctown8
              Thanks for the mention, dont forget the @ before a username ;) Car is looking awesome, you've clearly done a ton of work since we saw it here at the shop! Cant wait to see it at meets this summer.
              Ohh ok I fixed that and thanks! Neither can I, cant wait for the snow to melt and take it for a cruise

February 04, 2017, 12:51 PM #7

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by Run Away
                Nice build man. Are you going to take your grandad for a ride when it's done?
                Yeah, Im keeping what im doing right now a secret so itll be a surprise for him
                Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:56 PM by Soupy

February 13, 2017, 05:55 PM #8

Soupy Offline

Decided to mount up my two AEM gauges. Got a dual gauge pod from Lotek. The boost gauge is a newer X-series boost gauge and the wideband is a few years old I picked up a while back.

How it looks mounted up. The maroon doesn't quite match up but its good enough.

Also after a long wait my pistons arrived. There 0.02 oversized since the cylinders were a little worn.

March 01, 2017, 10:24 PM #9

Soupy Offline

Another little update, mainly with the suspension. Got a lot of the suspension pieces sent to the sandblasters.

Installed the new polyurethane bushings, everything is starting to look pretty good!

The red bushings are engery suspension and the orange subframe bushings are made from a guy way out in New Zealand, took a good month to get here but well worth the wait! Also new camber bolts since the old ones had to be cut.

The rear subframe

A little break, can anyone guess the car?

Back to the Supra, my Titan motorsports cam gears came in aswell

I had both the diff and the transmission rebuilt from a pal of mine. Had new rebuild kit and 4.10 gears installed which replaced the old 3.73 gears. Also with the transmission new bearings, billet forks, and chromoly trust washer. They don't look like much since I haven't painted the diff yet but they sure won't be breaking anytime soon.

In that time I was waiting for suspension to be powdercoated I went through the task of sandblasting most of the bolts.

I also picked up new wheel bearings and seals all around just to be extra safe.

Had the old bearings removed, the hubs are just off at the powdercoaters, along with some more little parts and the gas tank  :)

Started to install the new Walbro 450lph fuel pump

Currently just waiting on the machine shop still and just the sandblasters to continue further. Just waiting on polyurethane motor mounts and ARP wheel studs which are coming any day now.

March 02, 2017, 03:05 PM #10

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                      • Reputation Power: 54
                      • #StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.#StreetFocus is on the verge of being accepted.
                      This is a good thread.

March 02, 2017, 07:54 PM #11

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                        This is a good thread.

Thanks!! More to come soon

March 02, 2017, 08:03 PM #12

Soupy Offline

ARP wheel studs and polyurathane motor mounts just came in today!

March 06, 2017, 06:46 PM #13

Igor Online

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                            • Reputation Power: 221
                            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                            Sick! Nice progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

March 06, 2017, 09:14 PM #14

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                              • Reputation Power: 42
                              • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                              Ridiculous. Very nice build. Im impressed you opted to stay with 7mgte.
                              If you find another r154 trans, let me know ;)
                              Ill be keeping an eye on this thread...
                              D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                              04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                              Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                              http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

March 09, 2017, 12:42 PM #15

PRIME Offline

• Vehicle: 81 CB750, MK6 GOLF R
                                • Reputation Power: 9
                                • PRIME has no influence.
                                wow just came across this and I'n pretty impressed! Can't wait to see whats next!
                                PRIMEWORKS

[Apr 23 13:46:52] ACiFiC:ill suck your dick ryan
                                [May 15 23:40:54] ACiFiC:fuk me ryan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99137668@N02/
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Primeworks/386662778053081

Avaliable for photoshoots, PM or email for details!

Ryanjaycee@hotmail.com

March 10, 2017, 10:13 AM #16

Time Lord Offline

• Vehicle: Audi
                                  • Reputation Power: 19
                                  • Time Lord has no influence.
                                  You may know this already,  but make sure to get rid of the egr system entirely. It's a simple job with the motor out of the car. 

March 10, 2017, 08:16 PM #17

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by Joe
                                    Ridiculous. Very nice build. Im impressed you opted to stay with 7mgte.
                                    If you find another r154 trans, let me know ;)
                                    Ill be keeping an eye on this thread...
                                    Haha yeah the JZ swap was tempting but I ended up staying with the 7M. Im making sure I cover all its flaws cause we all know how reliable they are with the HG and all.
                                    Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:23 PM by Soupy

March 10, 2017, 08:17 PM #18

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by Time Lord
                                      You may know this already,  but make sure to get rid of the egr system entirely. It's a simple job with the motor out of the car. 
                                      Yeah I made sure to get rid of that and pick up some block off plates from driftmotion :). No need for it aha

March 10, 2017, 08:45 PM #19

Colby Online

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                                        • Reputation Power: 97
                                        • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
                                        Originally posted by Soupy

Also after a long wait my pistons arrived. There 0.02 oversized since the cylinders were a little worn.

20 thou wear, jesus. the pistons were sanding them selves down. are you boring the block and honing the cylinders?
                                        '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                                        '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                                        IG: colby_spence
                                        Snap: cspence47

March 11, 2017, 04:45 PM #20

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by Colby
                                          20 thou wear, jesus. the pistons were sanding them selves down. are you boring the block and honing the cylinders?

Yeah the machine shop suggested to go that route. Just waiting for the block to come back.

March 11, 2017, 05:47 PM #21

Colby Online

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                                            • Reputation Power: 97
                                            • Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!Colby has great potential!
                                            Originally posted by Soupy
                                            Yeah the machine shop suggested to go that route. Just waiting for the block to come back.

You would be throwing away money to just drop in new ones. Good call on listening to the shop
                                            '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                                            '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                                            IG: colby_spence
                                            Snap: cspence47

March 13, 2017, 07:20 PM #22

stuntman5656 Offline

• Vehicle: R33, 300ZX TT, Stagea, 190E AMG
                                              • Reputation Power: 4
                                              • stuntman5656 has no influence.
                                              Hey Quinn it's Misha. Amazing work you're doing on this car! Can't wait to see it finished. U plan on coming out for Time attack this year?

March 17, 2017, 02:04 PM #23

Soupy Offline

Originally posted by stuntman5656
                                                Hey Quinn it's Misha. Amazing work you're doing on this car! Can't wait to see it finished. U plan on coming out for Time attack this year?
                                                Oh hey. Thanks, yeah Im hopefully going to this year. Your car looks fantastic by the way!

March 24, 2017, 08:14 PM #24

stuntman5656 Offline

• Vehicle: R33, 300ZX TT, Stagea, 190E AMG
                                                  • Reputation Power: 4
                                                  • stuntman5656 has no influence.
                                                  Thanks I'm gunna have it at the track this year. You'll be hooked first time u come out

Top Tier Imports

That Mk3 Supra Build
                                                    « Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 08:14 PM »