Author Topic: 2016 Wrx Lowering spring opinions  (Read 689 times)

February 09, 2017, 10:21 PM #0

wrbwrx2016 Offline

• Vehicle: 2016 wrx limited
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • wrbwrx2016 has no influence.
Hi guys,

Was just looking to get some opinions from those who have lowered cars and drive theirs year round as I'm looking at either getting the RCE black springs (10mm front and rear drop) or the RCE yellow springs (22mm front and rear drop) for my 2016 wrx.  I've already extensively searched other forums for pictures of both but there's fairly limited ones for the RCE blacks so I keep going back and forth between the 2 in my mind.  In case it affects your answer I'll be pairing the springs with 18x9.5 +38 offset rims and either use up my stock 245/40 tires first since they're essentially brand new or buy new 255/35 tires.  Don't really want to go the coilover route either since I don't plan on tracking my car, they're more expensive and I don't see myself wanting to adjust them.  Any opinions will be appreciated!

Thanks, guys

Top Tier Imports

2016 Wrx Lowering spring opinions
    « on: February 09, 2017, 10:21 PM »

February 09, 2017, 10:28 PM #1

wrbwrx2016 Offline

I should also add that I'm looking at these options to just minimize the wheel gap and to improve the handling a little bit while not being too hard on the OEM shocks.

February 10, 2017, 08:24 AM #2

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
      • Reputation Power: 206
      • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
      Just a heads up, your OEM shocks will blow from lowering.
      Lowering springs should be paired with a proper shock, so something to keep in mind for the future. You can run Lowering springs on OEM shocks, but the ride won't be as comfortable, and it will significantly decrease the lifespan of your shocks.
      Originally posted by Madbuzz41
      I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

February 10, 2017, 09:30 AM #3

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
        • Reputation Power: 370
        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
        Both the RCE Blacks and Yellows are designed to work with stock struts, so you shouldn't have issues with your struts blowing.

I would go for the Yellows to reduce wheel gap as much as possible.

February 10, 2017, 11:18 AM #4

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by Shaun
          Both the RCE Blacks and Yellows are designed to work with stock struts, so you shouldn't have issues with your struts blowing.

I would go for the Yellows to reduce wheel gap as much as possible.
          Whoops.

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

February 10, 2017, 02:14 PM #5

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
            • Reputation Power: 247
            • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
            Go with the yellows. I had installed these on a friend's 2015 wrx and it was the perfect drop. 255s on those wheel specs will fit perfectly on the car.
            2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
            2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

February 13, 2017, 10:54 PM #6

wrbwrx2016 Offline

Thanks for the input everyone ended up ordering the rce yellows!

February 13, 2017, 10:57 PM #7

wrbwrx2016 Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                Go with the yellows. I had installed these on a friend's 2015 wrx and it was the perfect drop. 255s on those wheel specs will fit perfectly on the car.

Do you think you'd be able/willing to help me with the install in the spring if you have the time? Don't really know anyone that would know how to do it and this is the first car that I've modded but I want to learn and to be able to work on be car myself instead of bringing to a shop for everything.

February 13, 2017, 11:12 PM #8

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                  • Reputation Power: 247
                  • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                  Originally posted by wrbwrx2016
                  Do you think you'd be able/willing to help me with the install in the spring if you have the time? Don't really know anyone that would know how to do it and this is the first car that I've modded but I want to learn and to be able to work on be car myself instead of bringing to a shop for everything.

Depends on when you're looking to get it done. If it's in the summer sometime then we can work something out otherwise you can get the guys at Speedfactor to help you out.
                  2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                  2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

February 13, 2017, 11:18 PM #9

wrbwrx2016 Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                    Depends on when you're looking to get it done. If it's in the summer sometime then we can work something out otherwise you can get the guys at Speedfactor to help you out.

Yeah it wouldn't be until it's warmer outside so either later in spring or early summer. Just not wanting to spend hundreds on the install and not gain any experience either.

February 14, 2017, 08:27 AM #10

jordisonjr Offline

Its really straight forward to install.
                      There should be how-to's on any of the subaru forums. I installed lowering spring on my vehicle with not a whole lot of knowledge, aside from a how to thread. You've got the time now to do the research before you start the install.

Generally the worst part about suspension work is the risk of breaking bolts, but since your car is  new, rusty nuts and bolts shouldn't be an issue.

February 14, 2017, 09:00 AM #11

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                        • Reputation Power: 370
                        • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!

February 14, 2017, 10:17 AM #12

John Offline

• Vehicle: 04 civic, 09 STi
                        • Reputation Power: 101
                        • John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.John has an aura about them.
                        can confirm, spring install is pretty easy...
                        subies ftw!

[Dec 04 11:42:55] Shaun:i tried using nav to get to dan's logic but i got lost
                        [Dec 05 21:53:59] Uncle Hugh Myron:I dunno but an easy way to kill Dan would be shutting down mcdonalds for 24 hours

Top Tier Imports

2016 Wrx Lowering spring opinions
                          « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 10:17 AM »