Author Topic: Where to buy a good polisher.  (Read 795 times)

March 22, 2017, 08:43 PM #0

J-WRX2012 Offline

• Reputation Power: 2
  • J-WRX2012 has no influence.
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

As the title states, I am looking for a good RO or DA polisher within the city. If you have any leads or know of any stores/ shops that carry good polishers in the city, please let me know.

Top Tier Imports

Where to buy a good polisher.
    « on: March 22, 2017, 08:43 PM »

March 23, 2017, 08:24 AM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 206
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    @Colby can probably chime in on this.
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

March 23, 2017, 10:41 AM #2

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
      • Reputation Power: 370
      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
      Hmmm Rondex might

March 23, 2017, 09:01 PM #3

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
        • Reputation Power: 129
        • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by J-WRX2012
        Hello fellow enthusiasts,

As the title states, I am looking for a good RO or DA polisher within the city. If you have any leads or know of any stores/ shops that carry good polishers in the city, please let me know.

When I was looking last fall I couldn't find any store that had what I was looking for apart from some Entry level C-Tire stuff.

I ended up doing an online purchase at AutoGeek. They have a bunch of good resources and other detailing forums/subreddits/websites are a good place to exploit the info and real world experiences to narrow down what you think will work for you.

Is this a hobby? Are you wanting to make this a business? Decide where you want to go with detailing. It will save you a ton of money in the long run by purchasing the right product once. I'd recommend against a RO. DA's offer more predictable results with more correction power.

Griots, Meguiars, Flex are some the more reputable brands. I'd say Griots offer a better warranty, Meguiars a smoother polisher. Flex has a unique drive system that sets them apart. I believe it's almost like two motors one for rotation and one for orbit? (It's been half a year since I did any research). The flex machines are that next step over a basic DA, that shows in the price however.

I chose a package consisting of the Meguiars MT300 Professional DA and a bunch of Lake Country pads along with pad cleaner and conditioner, as well as some sealant prep and sealant. AutoGeek always has good sales on, just sit back and watch daily for the next one to pop up, over a month you should get a solid 15-25% off deal. The sales can be compounded onto the package deal sales. I think I was about 40% off of buying everything outright when I did a sale + package.

I realize it's not local, but they ship, you can either do direct or do Pembina. Either way, would recommend them 10/10

There are some photos and stuff in the detailing results thread from my first day with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
        '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
        IG: colby_spence
        Snap: cspence47

March 23, 2017, 10:32 PM #4

J-WRX2012 Offline

Thank you for the detailed response @Colby ! I am just doing it as a hobby, I like to keep my car looking it's best as well as protect cars of family and friends.

By chance, have you heard much about the chemical guys torq 10fx polisher? I have been looking at that recently but I'm very hesitant because it's a fairly new, unknown product.

March 23, 2017, 11:38 PM #5

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
            • Reputation Power: 129
            • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
            Thank you for the detailed response @Colby ! I am just doing it as a hobby, I like to keep my car looking it's best as well as protect cars of family and friends.

By chance, have you heard much about the chemical guys torq 10fx polisher? I have been looking at that recently but I'm very hesitant because it's a fairly new, unknown product.
            Referencing what I said earlier, I mistook Random Orbit for a Standard Orbit.

RO and DA are virtually the same thing

Patterns can be seen here - https://itsbetterwaxed.com/blogs/detailing-tips/50694340-what-s-the-difference-with-dual-action-random-orbit-and-rotary-buffers

As for the CG Torq - http://www.autogeek.net/torq-10fx-random-orbital-car-buffer-polisher.html - it seems like a nice lightweight unit with a powerful motor. All I can say is to search up the unit, look for reviews on a few sites and see what you can form an opinion on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
            '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
            IG: colby_spence
            Snap: cspence47

April 14, 2017, 07:59 PM #6

Electro Offline

• Vehicle: '99 GF8 STI
              • Reputation Power: 6
              • Electro has no influence.
              I would suggest taking a look at www.eshine.ca
              They are a Canadian supplier for detailing products, and have free shipping over $150! I buy all my supplies from them, and their customer service is fantastic.
              1999 Army Green GF8   2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT

April 14, 2017, 08:02 PM #7

Electro Offline

• Vehicle: '99 GF8 STI
                • Reputation Power: 6
                • Electro has no influence.

Be sure to look at the Chemical Guys products very critically. They have an excellent marketing team, and are known to delete any negative reviews on their website. I have never had a good experience with their customer service team, which would make me stay away from purchasing a piece of hardware from them.
                I am not trying to bash CG, as I use a ton of their waxes and cleaners, but they are very good at creating hype for their products when something really isn't that great, or has a way better alternative.
                1999 Army Green GF8   2012 Grabber Blue Mustang GT

April 16, 2017, 10:24 AM #8

J-WRX2012 Offline

Thanks for the responses and being detailed. After reading multiple reviews and comparicons, I made the decision and ordered a griots garage 6 inch RO polisher with 6.5 inch pads and 5.5 inch lake country pads and backing plate.

May 17, 2017, 09:50 PM #9

Samo Offline

• Vehicle: '06 Ford Focus ZX5, '07 Subaru Legacy spec.B
                    • Reputation Power: 1
                    • Samo has no influence.
                    Good stuff! Where did you end up ordering from? Shipping always seems to be somewhat of a pain here. I've also ordered detailing product from www.carzilla.ca out of Calgary, with good experience so far.

I'd like to hear how you like the GG 6 inch.

May 18, 2017, 09:51 AM #10

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                      • Reputation Power: 370
                      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                      I have the GG with a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. Works well, no complaints.

May 18, 2017, 10:04 PM #11

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 10
                        • dan has no influence.
                        Originally posted by Shaun
                        I have the GG with a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. Works well, no complaints.
                        x2  I love this GG Polisher.

Top Tier Imports

Where to buy a good polisher.
                          « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:04 PM »