Author Topic: 2017 Autocross Thread  (Read 3187 times)

March 23, 2017, 07:39 PM #0

Magner Offline

• Vehicle: Neons
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
2017 Autocross thread

Link to 2017 Schedule: http://www.wscc.mb.ca/autoslalom/

Common questions:

What is Autocross?

How do I Register for events?
For 2017 we will be using MotorsportReg: https://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/?country=CA&q=wscc&radius=300&lat=49.84&lng=-97.11&loc=Winnipeg%2C+MB
This site is used by 700 motorsports clubs including all national SCCA events
For additional WSCC event registration details please follow this link: http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/10434-autoslalom-registration-guide/
Benefits of pre-registration:
-Save $10 per event ($5 for registering with MSR and $5 for all prepayments)
-Save time (streamlined event check-in process for all pre-registered competitors)

Where are events held?
Events are usually held at St. Andrews Airport unless otherwise noted on the schedule
If you are coming from Winnipeg it's Highway 8 northbound (aka McPhillips St).
Turn right on McPhilips Rd
25 later right on Aviation Blvd.
5 Feet later turn left on George Porayko Way (gravel access road)
Drive past the control tower on the gravel road to access the site. (DO NOT DRIVE ON THE ACTIVE RUNWAY)

"George Porayko Way" on Google maps.

Note: no one is allowed on site outside the event hours, the site is monitored by Nav Canada and any unauthorized trespassers with not be tolerated under any circumstances.

What time should I arrive on site?
**NEW FOR 2017, events will begin 1 hour earlier that last year, if you have not pre-registered online you MUST arrive on site prior to 9:30 am.

12:00 am Online pre-registration closed
9:00 am Gates open
9:30 am Driver check-in & late registration. Course open for course-walks.
10:00 am Check-in and registration closed. No competitors will be accepted after 10:00 am!
10:15 am Novice course walk (Mandatory for first time participants)
10:45 am Drivers meeting
11:00 am Competition begins
Lunch after 1st heat (approx 12:45 pm 1:15 pm)

For all competitors it is recommended that you pre-registier online. This saves you money and simplifies the registration process for everyone.
Recommended new participant arrive between 9 and 9:30 am, you will need time to for course walks and getting you car prepared. If it's your first time come at 9 am since you will need to take the novice course walk (MANDATORY FOR ALL FIRST TIMERS)

I don't have a race car or anything modified can I race my stock car?
Yes! Just about every car is welcome from a stock Corolla to a Corvette to a RHD R33 GTR provided it meets the requirements of the tech inspection. Self tech inspection sheets found here: PENDING LINK
Make sure you check each item on the Tech Inspection carefully BEFORE each event. please print and check everything before the event, then hand it in at the registration trailer when you arrive.
First timer tip, inflate your tires to the maximum recommended pressure ( it will be printed on your tire sidewalls). This will ensure you do not roll over the tires and prevents premature wear.

What car class am I in?

If you are new of unsure of your car class please class yourself as "A-Mod-Street" A-Modified on Street tires. If you have any questions or need assistance please ask in this thread: http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=2803.0 or http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9304-2014-car-classing-guide-help-thread/

I'm not competing, but is it free to come watch?
It's free to spectate! But you must come to the registration trailer and sign the waiver. THE WAIVER MUST BE SIGNED BY EVERYONE ON SITE.

What should I do for lunch?
We usually have a hot dog vendor or food truck on site, please support them as they support us! Lunch is usually a 30min break that start between 1:30 and 2. (Due to the remote location you don't have enough time to drive to Lockport or Winnipeg to get lunch and come back on the lunch break).

What should I bring?
-Lots of water! No water is available on site. A cooler is very handy on hot days!
-Lunch/lunch money and snacks or a lunch
-Sunscreen, even on cloudy days!
-Good comfortable running/walking shoes (no sandals allowed while driving or working course)
-Dress according to the weather, yes we race in the rain but make sure you are prepared if it rains, coat, pants, hats, boots etc...
-Hand sanitizer or something to clean your hands is a great idea.
-Umbrella for rain or shade on hot days
-Bag or a bin to keep all of your stuff organized.
-Make sure you car is clear of any loose items such as loose change, garbage, clothing etc. (any floor mats not mechanically fastened to the car must also be removed)  No competitors will be allowed to leave the start line if loose items are left in the car.

Can I bring my helmet?
Yes, however only "Snell" rated helmets are allowed. If you are unsure check the outside base of the helmet were it meets your neck/spinr, it will have a Snell sticker on it. If it doesn't say Snell on it, don't bring it. We have Snell approved loaner helmets in all sizes for you to borrow. Only having the "DOT" safety rating is NOT enough, it MUST be Snell rated

Do I need to "work"?
If you are racing you must also complete a work assignment. Participants are split into and "A" and "B" groups. "A" works when "B" races and vise versa. Work consists of picking up knocked over cones and placing them back in their painted boxes, it's also great fun to watch the cars from the worker marshal stations. (no spectators are allowed in the work station areas during the event) Sign up for your work detail when you arrive at the registration station. Autocross supplies its own workers, this is how we keep racing cheap!

Can I bring my young kids? (under 14 years old)
No, it's highly recommend against bringing children to events. Children under 14 are not permitted on any timed runs. Any person under the age of 18 must have a minor consent form filled out at the timing trailer. If you plan to race do not bring your children, you will be unable to take them as you race or bring them to your work station. (children are allowed at any of the worker marshal stations)

I'm under 18, can I race?
Yes but only if you have the following:
-A valid class 5 license (no learners)
-A parent or legal guarding present with you
-A signed minor consent form from a parent or legal guardian

I'm under 18, can I spectate?
Yes but you must have a minor consent form filled out by a parent or legal guardian

I'm under 18, can I be a passenger in someones car?
Yes but only if you have met the following:
-A signed minor consent form from a parent or legal guardian
-14 years of age or older
-Only in a vehicle being driven by a parent or guardian

Why do keep seeing so many different names for this sport?
Autocross is the general term used to call the sport.
It can be abbreviated to "auto-x" (PS. please don't call it Auto "EX"  ;))
Legally in Canada the sport is called "Autoslalom" by ASN Canada (our racing governing body).
In the United States the largest governing body (SCCA- Sports Car Club of America) calls it "Solo". Up until a few years ago the SCCA called it "Solo II".

Why should I autocross?
-The people! Friendly,  like-minded individuals that love cars and racing
-Push you and your car in a safe and legal environment!
-The BEST way to improve as a driver. Almost everyone can "drive" but now many actually take the time to learn to master car control?
-Cheapest form of motor-racing! Cheap entry fees and cheap on consumable items such as brakes and tires when compared to other motorsports.
-The challenge of trying to get that perfect run!

Question? Ask!
Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:26 AM by Magner

Top Tier Imports

2017 Autocross Thread
    « on: March 23, 2017, 07:39 PM »

March 23, 2017, 07:52 PM #1

Nhil Offline

• Vehicle: 2000 Honda S2000
    • Reputation Power: 91
    • Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!
    [Mar 02 10:56:01] TwoFourDee:..ever
    [Mar 02 10:55:59] TwoFourDee:nobody quote me on that
    [Mar 02 10:55:56] TwoFourDee:I actually like those rotas

March 24, 2017, 10:14 AM #2

Dark_daku89 Offline

• Vehicle: 2003 Subaru WRX Spec R1 #68 / 2001 Lexus LS430UL
      • Reputation Power: 11
      • Dark_daku89 has no influence.
      In!
      Chiropractor at Osborne Chiropractic Office

March 25, 2017, 01:46 PM #3

Magner Offline

• Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.Magner has a powerful will.
        -Updated original post with link to schedule, 18 regulator championship points events + 3 Schools and 2 Test and Tune events!

Note,  All regular events at St Andrews will now start 1 hour ahead of the prior years.
        12:00 am Online pre-registration closed
        9:00 am Gates open
        9:30 am Driver check-in & late registration. Course open for course-walks.
        10:00 am Check-in and registration closed. No competitors will be accepted after 10:00 am!
        10:15 am Novice course walk (Mandatory for first time participants)
        10:45 am Drivers meeting
        11:00 am Competition begins
        Lunch after 1st heat (approx 12:45 pm 1:15 pm)

March 25, 2017, 01:55 PM #4

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
          • Reputation Power: 128
          • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
          @Magner are the test and tune events open to non-WSCC members now too?
          #keepingitstock

March 25, 2017, 02:10 PM #5

Nhil Offline

• Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!Nhil has great potential!
            Originally posted by Riley
            @Magner are the test and tune events open to non-WSCC members now too?

No, this hasn't changed from previous years

March 25, 2017, 02:14 PM #6

Riley Offline

• Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
              • Reputation Power: 128
              • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by Nhil
              Test

Thanks, didn't see it specified anywhere. I'm out then!
              #keepingitstock

March 26, 2017, 12:17 AM #7

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                • Reputation Power: 173
                • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                The link in the 2017 schedule thread sends you to the 2016 discussion, not the 2017.

Also, stoked for Gimli dates :D
                (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

March 27, 2017, 08:37 AM #8

4U2Envy Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Subaru Legacy Spec.B
                  • Reputation Power: 10
                  • 4U2Envy has no influence.
                  In.

I think it's great that there are 2 Gimli events this season.
                  "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

324WHP/313WTQ EvoIII 16G on 94Oct - Bren Tuning

March 28, 2017, 09:46 PM #9

Magner Offline

There's a great autocross podcast out there for some of the more hardcore guys (autocrosstalk.com). Great interviews with some of the legends in the sport with helpful tips and strategies. But recently I came across one that's a great for some newer members or anyone interested in wanting to get more involved with autocross. This one is a  great motivation to get out there and get involved, it highlights focusing on seat time, learning from other drivers and practicing with sims or video games can really make a difference.

Check out the interview with Nicholas Chu, 2016 Solo Rookie of the Year: http://autocrosstalk.com/?powerpress_pinw=281-podcast

He's only been autocrossing since 2013 (3 years!!) and came in 2nd in STR last year in his first SCCA Nationals, not bad! He's a also from the Vancouver area and runs with a sister club of the WSCC, VCMC. 

Here's a run from him at Nationals last year:

March 28, 2017, 10:11 PM #10

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                      • Reputation Power: 82
                      • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
                      Car should actually make it out for test and tune. Should be a fun season!
                      EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

March 29, 2017, 08:16 PM #11

Magner Offline

Originally posted by Matthew
                        Yeaaahhh! Love me some SMF Civics.

March 29, 2017, 09:59 PM #12

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                          • Reputation Power: 246
                          • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                          Originally posted by Matthew

please lets do it
                          2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                          2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

March 31, 2017, 08:23 AM #13

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                            • Reputation Power: 194
                            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

April 12, 2017, 09:38 PM #14

Magner Offline

2016 SCCA Nationals Music Video was released today, lots of cool cars to check out, I want to go again!

In case you were wonder what one of the course looks likes here's one (there's 2 courses running side by side):

Winnipeg Sports Car Club Season starts in about 2 weeks!  :banana:

April 12, 2017, 11:02 PM #15

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                              • Reputation Power: 43
                              • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                              @ 11 sec, the Pink Panther....
                              @ 1:07, the guy who cost me a shot at the challenge at spring nats by sending me before the other driver was ready....
                              @ 2:56, Paul's MR2 I codrove day 1 after my shock let go.

I wish it was in the cards to return this year, those courses were challenging and a blast.
                              D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                              04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                              Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                              http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

April 13, 2017, 03:33 AM #16

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                                Do I still fall under the "novice" class since I've only gone to 4-5 events over the last 3 years?

April 13, 2017, 07:14 AM #17

Joe Offline

• Vehicle: MR2 Spyder
                                  • Reputation Power: 43
                                  • Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...Joe might someday be someone...
                                  Originally posted by Vince
                                  Do I still fall under the "novice" class since I've only gone to 4-5 events over the last 3 years?
                                  If you do more then 4 events in one season... you sir are still are a novice this season.
                                  You don't have to be if you don't want, but your eligible to compete for that trophy.
                                  D Street #50 - Slicktop E46 323i
                                  04' Spyder 1E7 w/LSD - SOLD
                                  Project "Cookie Monster" - 96 Corolla DX
                                  http://forums.wscc.mb.ca/index.php?/topic/9745-the-cookie-monster/

April 13, 2017, 12:03 PM #18

Vince Offline

Originally posted by Joe
                                    If you do more then 4 events in one season... you sir are still are a novice this season.
                                    You don't have to be if you don't want, but your eligible to compete for that trophy.
                                    True.. but that sweet pax handicap.

April 13, 2017, 12:51 PM #19

Magner Offline

Originally posted by Vince
                                      True.. but that sweet pax handicap.
                                      Rookies don't get a different pax. They are only grouped and scored  separately.

Pax is always based on the car and it's class not the driver.

April 13, 2017, 04:29 PM #20

Vince Offline

Originally posted by Magner
                                        Rookies don't get a different pax. They are only grouped and scored  separately.

Pax is always based on the car and it's class not the driver.
                                        Oh... Well then stx here I come.

April 15, 2017, 10:21 AM #21

Magner Offline

Season starts in 2 weeks!

Make sure to pre-register for all events to save yourself time and money ($10 per event) at motorsportreg.com:

Saturday April 29 Test and Tune link:  https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-wscc-autoslalom-test-tune-st-andrews-airport-winnipeg-sports-car-club-400730

Sunday April 30 Event 1 link: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2017-wscc-autoslalom-event-1-st-andrews-airport-winnipeg-sports-car-club-229523

Club membership link: https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/wscc-annual-membership-winnipeg-sports-car-club-985168
                                          (not required but it will save you $10 for each event including schools)

April 15, 2017, 12:47 PM #22

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                            • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                                            • Reputation Power: 194
                                            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

April 26, 2017, 10:26 PM #23

C.J974 Offline

• Vehicle: 1987 Porsche 924S, JDM 1999 Subaru Forester stb
                                            • Reputation Power: 8
                                            • C.J974 has no influence.
                                            I'm hoping to participate at the test and tune this coming Saturday. It says on MotorsportReg/wscc that you need to complete a "tech self inspection" but I can't find the sheet. The only link on MR I've seen brings me back to their home page. and for numbers, can that be figured out at the Event? or does that need to be done prior? This will be (hopefully) my first auto x event, I'm not sure how it all works.
                                            You can't ruin my life Reality, my safe space will keep you out! -Cartman

April 26, 2017, 10:33 PM #24

Nhil Offline

Originally posted by C.J974
                                              I'm hoping to participate at the test and tune this coming Saturday. It says on MotorsportReg/wscc that you need to complete a "tech self inspection" but I can't find the sheet. The only link on MR I've seen brings me back to their home page. and for numbers, can that be figured out at the Event? or does that need to be done prior? This will be (hopefully) my first auto x event, I'm not sure how it all works.
                                              You'll need a WSCC membership if you do not already have one. The tech sheet is within the registration process, you'll see it when going through the steps.

Numbers will be figured out on site as this is not a season event. We only use the numbers to keep track of your timed runs.

Email me at autoslalom.reg@gmail.com if you have any more questions. Hope to see you out!

Top Tier Imports

2017 Autocross Thread
                                                « Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 10:33 PM »