Author Topic: Help on Turbo AR choice  (Read 448 times)

March 24, 2017, 11:05 PM #0

Supra2jz94 Offline

• Vehicle: Toyota supra 2jz
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • Supra2jz94 has no influence.
H
Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:19 AM by Supra2jz94

Top Tier Imports

Help on Turbo AR choice
    « on: March 24, 2017, 11:05 PM »

March 26, 2017, 12:22 AM #1

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 173
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    Solid thread.

Quote (selected)
    Imagine two 3.5L engines both using GT30R turbochargers. The only difference between the two engines is a different turbine housing A/R; otherwise the two engines are identical:
    1. Engine #1 has turbine housing with an A/R of 0.63
    2. Engine #2 has a turbine housing with an A/R of 1.06.

What can we infer about the intended use and the turbocharger matching for each engine?

Engine#1: This engine is using a smaller A/R turbine housing (0.63) thus biased more towards low-end torque and optimal boost response. Many would describe this as being more "fun" to drive on the street, as normal daily driving habits tend to favor transient response. However, at higher engine speeds, this smaller A/R housing will result in high back pressure, which can result in a loss of top end power. This type of engine performance is desirable for street applications where the low speed boost response and transient conditions are more important than top end power.

Engine #2: This engine is using a larger A/R turbine housing (1.06) and is biased towards peak horsepower, while sacrificing transient response and torque at very low engine speeds. The larger A/R turbine housing will continue to minimize backpressure at high rpm, to the benefit of engine peak power. On the other hand, this will also raise the engine speed at which the turbo can provide boost, increasing time to boost. The performance of Engine #2 is more desirable for racing applications than Engine #1 since Engine #2 will be operating at high engine speeds most of the time.

Sauce: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbine_housing_AR_and_housing_sizing
    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

March 26, 2017, 02:17 AM #2

SavageTaco Offline

• Vehicle: Evo9 GG MR
      • Reputation Power: 15
      • SavageTaco has no influence.
      So....what's the question?
      Evo 9 aka "The Grinch" pump gas warrior
      Self tuned on an AEM V2
      2000 Aristo V300 - Daily
      "When in doubt run flat out"- C Mcrae

March 27, 2017, 12:29 PM #3

Supra2jz94 Offline

Im going for a 61mm turbo for my Supra, now the AR choices are .58 .68 .81. What i want is a fairly quick spooling turbo. And ive decided im only going to use pump gas so max hp ill get will be under 550hp.

Im a bit lost on the AR and what it means and how it would affect my turbo power?

Im ordering the kit soon so i need to make the right choice.

Would there be any huge difference between a .68 or a . 81?

Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:44 PM by Supra2jz94

March 28, 2017, 06:42 PM #4

SavageTaco Offline

• Vehicle: Evo9 GG MR
          • Reputation Power: 15
          • SavageTaco has no influence.
          Originally posted by Supra2jz94
          Im going for a 61mm turbo for my Supra, now the AR choices are .58 .68 .81. What i want is a fairly quick spooling turbo. And ive decided im only going to use pump gas so max hp ill get will be under 550hp.

Im a bit lost on the AR and what it means and how it would affect my turbo power?

Im ordering the kit soon so i need to make the right choice.

Would there be any huge difference between a .68 or a . 81?

I think you probably understand the basic's enough to make a decision. As i'm sure you know, the smaller turbine housing is going to be more restrictive once you start going into higher pressure ratios, pushing further out of its efficiency range. With the larger AR you will shift the map slightly to obtain more efficiency in areas while loosing it in others (compromise is always a factor). You've probably heard the saying "get the smallest turbo for your horsepower goals". This is so that you don't end up with a laggy pig of a turbo that barely gets into its efficiency range for what you're trying to do with it.

If you really want to make an informed decision, see if you can get a compressor map of both AR's on the same Turbo. Then with a few simple calculations you can plot out where on the map you'll be using it the most.

Worst case scenario, you can always switch out the Turbine housing.
          Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 06:49 PM by SavageTaco
          Evo 9 aka "The Grinch" pump gas warrior
          Self tuned on an AEM V2
          2000 Aristo V300 - Daily
          "When in doubt run flat out"- C Mcrae

March 29, 2017, 10:52 AM #5

Supra2jz94 Offline

A .68 seems like the right choice 595hp so ill have room to play if i want. The .81 is good for 645hp and that would require further fuel mods and other things, .68 it is.

Top Tier Imports

Help on Turbo AR choice
              « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:52 AM »