Author Topic: Hit and Run - To Report or Not...  (Read 395 times)

May 08, 2017, 11:44 PM #0

Michael.C Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Honda Civic Si Coupe FG2
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Michael.C has no influence.
Hey guys,

I am super conflicted right now... I just had a full HFP lip kit installed on my 2010 Civic Si and less than a week later someone damaged my driver's side skirt. There is a dime sized chip followed by a scrape that is about a foot long toward the rear wheel. Does anyone have any experience with this? If I report it to MPI is there any chance I will seek recovery or am I wasting my time? They also have asked that I report this to the police which I feel might be what they would anticipate as a waste of time as the damage is not very severe.

I'm super cheesed that my car was damaged only days after my only cosmetic modification and I'd like to seek some form of reconciliation. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Mike

Top Tier Imports

Hit and Run - To Report or Not...
    « on: May 08, 2017, 11:44 PM »

May 09, 2017, 12:54 AM #1

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
    • Reputation Power: 19
    • cluelessk has no influence.
    Hit and run with no proof of who damaged the car. You pay your deductible. No demerits.

You may need to make a police statement for the hit and run claim. Not quite sure.
    [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

May 09, 2017, 07:19 AM #2

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
      • Reputation Power: 230
      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
      Pics of the damage? Not sure what car is low enough to damage just a sidekirt and nothing else.

But yes, you would have to make a police claim for any hit and run claims and you will pay your deductible to have it repaired/replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

May 09, 2017, 11:06 AM #3

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
        • Reputation Power: 98
        • firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!firelizard has great potential!
        It'll be up to you to give someone to MPI to recover cost from, otherwise you pay. MPI and the WPS won't look for something so minor unless you can point them at a person.

May 09, 2017, 06:57 PM #4

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
          • Reputation Power: 163
          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by Igor
          Pics of the damage? Not sure what car is low enough to damage just a sidekirt and nothing else.

But yes, you would have to make a police claim for any hit and run claims and you will pay your deductible to have it repaired/replaced.

x2 what Igor said.

Need pics, and how did they just damage the sideskirt?

But yea, you need to file a police report, then you call MPI to open a claim, and you give them the police report number, then you take it to a shop.

Also, just throwing it out there.. It's a crime to make a false report.
          (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

May 09, 2017, 09:16 PM #5

Michael.C Offline

I'll take a picture when I wash the car some time this week. Bit of a plot twist - I am 90% sure this happened in an underground parking garage at my work, which fortunately has video surveillance. Unfortunately, however, the security company can only release said video to either MPI or the Winnipeg Police. This puts me in a bit of a pickle as they cannot verify whether or not they've identified the incident, and if they haven't and I file a report which is deemed a false police report, then I am now the bad guy.

I had my work send out a very strongly worded email regarding the incident and asking any guilty party to come forward. Stating also that if no party comes forward and someone is found guilty of a hit-and-run they will likely have a felony offence on their record. I work for a large insurance company which requires that all employees are bondable and free of a criminal record. Hoping this strikes the fear of god in the perpetrator's heart. I'll snap a pic and keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the insight. Especially Vince's tip about false police reports ... you might have just saved my ass.

May 10, 2017, 05:08 PM #6

nickcoldwell Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Evo X Mr (sold), 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD.
              • Reputation Power: 10
              • nickcoldwell has no influence.
              Originally posted by Michael.C
              I'll take a picture when I wash the car some time this week.

Just from personal experience, MPI usually asks if you washed the car since noticing the damage, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they rather you bring the car in exactly how it was damaged.

Also I am not sure if you got a shop to paint the new body kit pieces for you or if they came painted before installing them. BUT if a shop painted them, they might have some left over paint and could probably fix it cheaper than your deductible if you tell them your story. (I have no idea what your damage looks like so I have no idea if this would be an option for you but yeah good luck!)

May 10, 2017, 10:21 PM #7

cluelessk Offline

Originally posted by nickcoldwell
                Just from personal experience, MPI usually asks if you washed the car since noticing the damage, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure they rather you bring the car in exactly how it was damaged.

Also I am not sure if you got a shop to paint the new body kit pieces for you or if they came painted before installing them. BUT if a shop painted them, they might have some left over paint and could probably fix it cheaper than your deductible if you tell them your story. (I have no idea what your damage looks like so I have no idea if this would be an option for you but yeah good luck!)

They want a clean car. Unless it's a wildlife hit they need proof it was an animal. They usually leave hair and **** all over.

May 11, 2017, 04:31 PM #8

nickcoldwell Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Evo X Mr (sold), 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD.
                  • Reputation Power: 10
                  • nickcoldwell has no influence.
                  Originally posted by cluelessk
                  They want a clean car. Unless it's a wildlife hit they need proof it was an animal. They usually leave hair and **** all over.

Well then....Explains why I had to bring my car in with the deer hair still sticking out doesn't it  :thinking:

May 11, 2017, 08:34 PM #9

Michael.C Offline

Does this photo work?

May 11, 2017, 09:59 PM #10

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                      • Reputation Power: 230
                      • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                      That looks very minor. Get some touch of paint and fill it in. Dumb reason to have to pay $200 and have a claim on your car

2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                      2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

May 12, 2017, 12:08 AM #11

cluelessk Offline

Ya some things aren't worth fixing.

We had to paint almost a whole brand new car because of less than half a dozen stone chips. It's not worth it at all.

May 12, 2017, 12:12 AM #12

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
                          • Reputation Power: 64
                          • #StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!#StreetFocus is a rising star!
                          What they said. So not worth the hassle.of MPI and paying a deductible. That's so minor.

May 12, 2017, 09:57 AM #13

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                            • Reputation Power: 357
                            • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                            Hopefully someone comes forward to pay the deductible, otherwise I'd get some under the table cash quotes from a few shops to spray the sideskirt and leave MPI out of the equation.

Top Tier Imports

Hit and Run - To Report or Not...
                              « Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 09:57 AM »