Author Topic: The RED Turd (ford probe GT)  (Read 417 times)

May 10, 2017, 03:54 AM #0

Madmonkey Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 yaris
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Madmonkey has no influence.
The RED turd is a 1996 Red Ford Probe which was originally barn find that a buddy picked up for $700. He was planning on restoring it for autoX this season but i ended grabbing it from him when i picked up his other probe. Originally was just thinking of getting it safetied then just sell it that was over a year ago. Now selling it after dumping almost $2.5K into it would just be a waste f money. Now for some weird reason, i want to throw more money into this thing and sit on it for a few years then revisit the idea of selling later down the line.

main goal restore to the point it looks like it did when it came off the show room floor, while building it for N/A i'd like to see it run a low 14 maybe break into the 13s with slicks and some weight reduction.

Things to do this year
things to do next year
items removed

Electrical:

Megasquirt DIY ecu (i have one kicking around but it don't look straight forward at all most likely going to be a nightmare)
VAF to MAF conversion (when i do the megasquirt i quess should be good for 10whp for an N/A car.

Suspension & Wheels:
17" forged ASA 5 star rims (17lbs a peice)
1993 struts and springs (around 1" drop much stiffer ford soften up the ride with each year to make it more comfortable)

Engine & Drivetrain:
Custom Cold Air Intake (might tweak it with an air dam)

Stage 2 Exedy clutch kit (maybe in a few weeks as the clutch is sticky)
mx3 flywheel (stock probe is 22lbs, mx-3 is 17lbs and can be resurfaced down to 12lbs however i did just place an offer on a 9lbs fidanza flywheel on ebay What is wrong with me lol)
extrude honed DE intake manifold (i have it kicking around mayb i'll throw it on)

coned 65mm KL47 throttle body (i'll have to look into this )
Polyurethane Filled Motor Mounts (i might just get this doen in the next few weeks)
OBX Racing underdrive pulley
KLZE CAMS

Exhaust
Greddy SP exhaust
Bosal ceramic coated headers
Catalytic converter delete pipe

Interior:
Cheap Blue tooth headunit from china (about 4lbs lighter then stock)

i need light weight seats these probe seats are just to heavy
Ralco RZ Short Throw Shifter
New shifter bushings

Exterior:

repair any rust spots which arnt that bad for a 21 year old car
repaint the car

Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:38 AM by Madmonkey

Top Tier Imports

The RED Turd (ford probe GT)
    « on: May 10, 2017, 03:54 AM »

May 10, 2017, 04:06 AM #1

Madmonkey Offline

trying to grab some ZE cams and ZE pistons off some guy in quebec but hes giving me a hard time as he would prefer to sell his stuff to someone locally and his english sucks.

http://www.interpreptuning.com/engines_mazda.htm

interesting article that interprep tuning did when KLDE engine with full exhaust comparing different combos of the DE and ZE intake manifold and cams, with their Cams. interesting how just the ZE cams you can see a 5% gain, and 12% from a more aggressive cam. but with a ze intake mani gains fluctuate from making 5% on a DE, but  only 2% gain on a DE with ZE cams, and then again 6% with bigger cams.
    Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:25 AM by Madmonkey

May 12, 2017, 12:42 AM #2

Madmonkey Offline

just installed a no name brand headunit that i picked up from someone on kijiji to replace the stock ford cassette deck. At first i was like **** this thing is a peice of ****. It was a tiny fraction of the weight of the ford unit and the wires were so thin and flimsy, but then i realized who cares if it's a peice of **** decki just shaved off 3 lbs from the car then i was happy with the cheap head unit.
      Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:55 AM by Madmonkey

May 13, 2017, 12:22 AM #3

Madmonkey Offline

Picked up some leather prelude seats just because they were crazy light and they should shave off 50lbs. Drivers is worn might need some TLC, Passanger is in good shape just needs to be cleaned. Also picked up some alpine 6" w/ tweets, and 6x9", and also stole some parts off my other probe.
        Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:28 AM by Madmonkey

May 13, 2017, 09:57 AM #4

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
          • Reputation Power: 85
          • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
          Always kinda liked these cars. Watching this thread.

May 13, 2017, 11:57 PM #5

Madmonkey Offline

yeah I kinda like them too, funny in the last week of driving around I noticed two people taking a picture of the car at an intersection, and a guy in a restored car from the 50s give me a nod as i drove past him. very weird didn't get none of that 15 years ago thats for sure.

Picked up some Colt Cams race cams for the turd, getting them shipped to geoff at colt just to make sure they are what the seller says they are if they are great, if not they will be getting a new grind.

Also, put an offer on a DIY Autotune Megasquirt w/ harness & coilpacks & a 9lbs Fidanza Flywheel. Here is hoping the guy accepts my offer.

i hope to see consistent mid 14s when i bring it to Gimli, with a low 14 here and there when i get lucky on the launch. last time i was out was 17years ago and i couldn't get anything better then 2.3 on the 60ft on street tires

May 15, 2017, 06:43 PM #6

Madmonkey Offline

looks like i got the autotune mega squirt ecu its packed and ready to ship so is the cams. I think i got the Fidanza Flywheel just sent some cash for them. now i need a bigger throttle body and the top end will be gold. Damn this was a car i was just planning to drive for a month or 2 then get rid of what the hell em i doing.  :(

May 16, 2017, 02:32 PM #7

Madmonkey Offline

Had to replace the speakers so I figured it would be a good time to rip everything out and start removing the sound dedending material glued to the body it's a good 20-30lbs might as well just get rid of it now. Might also shave down some of the interior sides of these plastic panels some are 8-10lbs a peice **** it I'll just leave them be especially now that parts are harder to find locally
                Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:53 PM by Madmonkey

Top Tier Imports

The RED Turd (ford probe GT)
                  « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 02:32 PM »