Author Topic: Shops that might turn a blind eye to DOT lights  (Read 1322 times)

May 12, 2017, 12:12 AM #0

RxNevin Offline

• Vehicle: Rx7
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RxNevin has no influence.
Im looking to safety my r32 and its been a very big hassle and when i finally found one place they basically just said some of my lights werent DOT does anyone have any suggestions to shops that they got their RHD cars saftied and might turn a blind eye or be a little lenient to some things. i read some reviews and on a post made on this website and saw some people say simcoe motors on notre dame or CT on kenaston if anyone has any reviews on those shops with RHD cars that would be helpful as well, thank you so much in advance

Top Tier Imports

Shops that might turn a blind eye to DOT lights
    « on: May 12, 2017, 12:12 AM »

May 12, 2017, 12:15 AM #1

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
    • Reputation Power: 87
    • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
    Why not just get proper lighting....? Is there a reason you don't want to do it properly?

Doubt anyone will post a shop, MPI is pretty strict andnifnanshop is caught letting things go they shouldn't, they are in big trouble.

May 12, 2017, 08:14 AM #2

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
      • Reputation Power: 94
      • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
      Originally posted by RxNevin
      Im looking to safety my r32 and its been a very big hassle and when i finally found one place they basically just said some of my lights werent DOT does anyone have any suggestions to shops that they got their RHD cars saftied and might turn a blind eye or be a little lenient to some things. i read some reviews and on a post made on this website and saw some people say simcoe motors on notre dame or CT on kenaston if anyone has any reviews on those shops with RHD cars that would be helpful as well, thank you so much in advance
      So for most of their life you needed to get something like accord headlights to make R32s legal because there was no North American equivalent for the R32.

I believe in the states, different states might have their own rules, but I'm pretty sure the national standard is that once the car is 25 years old it is exempt and you can use the oem headlights.

What year / how old is your r32?

I don't know of anyone who has tested it, but most of our car laws mimic those in the states. If it is 25 years old it might be exempt?
      Current Forester count: 1
      Owner, Next Level Escapes

May 12, 2017, 08:33 AM #3

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
        • Reputation Power: 206
        • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by #StreetFocus
        Why not just get proper lighting....? Is there a reason you don't want to do it properly?

Doubt anyone will post a shop, MPI is pretty strict andnifnanshop is caught letting things go they shouldn't, they are in big trouble.
        Try finding DOT stamped R32 headlights lol. He doesn't get "proper" headlights because its not possible. The only way to make it "proper" is some janky ass accord headlights, which, in my opinion would be more unsafe than having proper fitting headlights, that don't have a simple stamp indicating it meets certain standards.
        Originally posted by Madbuzz41
        I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

May 12, 2017, 01:34 PM #4

RxNevin Offline

Originally posted by jordisonjr
          Try finding DOT stamped R32 headlights lol. He doesn't get "proper" headlights because its not possible. The only way to make it "proper" is some janky ass accord headlights, which, in my opinion would be more unsafe than having proper fitting headlights, that don't have a simple stamp indicating it meets certain standards.

yeah i dont really want to nig rig honda accord lights into my car like that just seems super dumb to me, but i like that ill idea i will try and find some thanks guys

May 12, 2017, 02:55 PM #5

Juan Offline

• Vehicle: FRS
            • Reputation Power: 26
            • Juan barely matters.Juan barely matters.
            You might have better luck with smaller shops outside of the city. Never had a problem getting a safety on a rhd car.
            FAHRVERGNÜGEN

May 12, 2017, 03:08 PM #6

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
              • Reputation Power: 94
              • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
              yeah i dont really want to nig rig honda accord lights into my car like that just seems super dumb to me, but i like that ill idea i will try and find some thanks guys

Not that anyone would condone it, but some people just rig the accord lights for safety, then put back the OEM's afterwards...
              Current Forester count: 1
              Owner, Next Level Escapes

May 12, 2017, 07:35 PM #7

HBeat Offline

• Vehicle: 1991 Honda Beat
                • Reputation Power: 2
                • HBeat has no influence.
                Or do a proper upgrade to lhd  projector hids.  just saying.. C:-)
                Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:38 PM by HBeat
                3 cyl ITB 650cc. MR

May 13, 2017, 12:30 AM #8

RxNevin Offline

Originally posted by HBeat
                  Or do a proper upgrade to lhd  projector hids.  just saying.. C:-)
                  Any idea how much that would cost kind of curious ? And a reputable place to have do it ?

May 13, 2017, 08:32 AM #9

peg_pulsar Offline

• Vehicle: Pulsar GTI-R, Colorado
                    • Reputation Power: 12
                    • peg_pulsar has no influence.
                    Are there no lhd skylines anywhere in the world? Forgive my ignorance, but you just need proper e-code lights from a lhd country. I have legal headlights on my car, and they don't say DOT anywhere on them. Got pulled over a few years ago and the cops wrote up a couple things, including non reflective corners (easy fix, stuck on some reflectors from princess auto onto the side of the car front and back), and "illegal headlights, taillights and corner lights." Went to MPI and got an inspection. All the lights on the car are e-code, and the headlights are from Luxembourg (or something like that I can't remember where I got them), had to fight with they guy a little bit to prove what all the arrows meant stamped into the headlights. But ultimately drove the car away without changing a single light.
                    1992 Nissan Pulsar Gti-R
                    1990 Toyota 4Runner (R.I.P)
                    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 SOLD
                    2005 Chevrolet Colorado

BW:145ish. PR's: S-419, B-270, D-510, Wilks-427

May 13, 2017, 08:03 PM #10

Darkness Offline

• Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 300zx
                      • Reputation Power: 6
                      • Darkness has no influence.
                      Originally posted by dano
                      I believe in the states, different states might have their own rules, but I'm pretty sure the national standard is that once the car is 25 years old it is exempt and you can use the oem headlights.

What year / how old is your r32?

I don't know of anyone who has tested it, but most of our car laws mimic those in the states. If it is 25 years old it might be exempt?
                      Ours is 15 years and it is exempt from federal regulations. The problem is the provinces can mandate their own regulations on equipment requirements, even those that don't jive with federal regulations.

May 13, 2017, 10:10 PM #11

Vince Online

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                        • Reputation Power: 174
                        • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                        Any idea how much that would cost kind of curious ? And a reputable place to have do it ?
                        Contact Tom Groth at WinnipegHID. Not too sure how a retrofit would jive though since technically they're still not in DOT enclosures and that's what they're looking for. It makes sense that it would be legal, but I can see them being grumpy because of the lack of stamp.
                        (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

May 15, 2017, 08:45 AM #12

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                          Originally posted by Vince
                          Contact Tom Groth at WinnipegHID. Not too sure how a retrofit would jive though since technically they're still not in DOT enclosures and that's what they're looking for. It makes sense that it would be legal, but I can see them being grumpy because of the lack of stamp.
                          I agree with this, retrofitted or not, they'd probably be illegal in MPI's eyes, due to lack of DOT stamp.

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

May 15, 2017, 01:24 PM #13

Canadian CD9A Offline

• Vehicle: AP1 - CD9A - 5F07F
                            • Reputation Power: 51
                            • Canadian CD9A is on the verge of being accepted.Canadian CD9A is on the verge of being accepted.Canadian CD9A is on the verge of being accepted.Canadian CD9A is on the verge of being accepted.Canadian CD9A is on the verge of being accepted.
                            Originally posted by peg_pulsar
                            Are there no lhd skylines anywhere in the world? Forgive my ignorance, but you just need proper e-code lights from a lhd country. I have legal headlights on my car, and they don't say DOT anywhere on them. Got pulled over a few years ago and the cops wrote up a couple things, including non reflective corners (easy fix, stuck on some reflectors from princess auto onto the side of the car front and back), and "illegal headlights, taillights and corner lights." Went to MPI and got an inspection. All the lights on the car are e-code, and the headlights are from Luxembourg (or something like that I can't remember where I got them), had to fight with they guy a little bit to prove what all the arrows meant stamped into the headlights. But ultimately drove the car away without changing a single light.

Nissan didn't produce LHD R32-R34s, and there are no "LHD Headlights" for them.

Agree with the above, retros still don't cut it if there is no DOT.

Also, lol @ basically asking for fake safety on TTI.
                            Originally posted by: Forced Performance
                            Your significant other can only be mad for a while but your car can be slow forever.
                            Quote (selected)
                            The perfect race car is the fastest thing on the track and then explodes after crossing the finish line.
                            AWD Turbo Whiners Club

May 17, 2017, 01:01 PM #14

RxNevin Offline

Originally posted by Canadian CD9A
                              Nissan didn't produce LHD R32-R34s, and there are no "LHD Headlights" for them.

Agree with the above, retros still don't cut it if there is no DOT.

Also, lol @ basically asking for fake safety on TTI.

im not asking for a fake safety you goof

May 17, 2017, 01:09 PM #15

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                                • Reputation Power: 126
                                • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!

Well I mean, by definition you're asking where you can take your car that shouldnt pass safety, to get saftied... Kinda the same thing.
                                BAASSSSSSS
                                I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                                My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                                Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

May 17, 2017, 02:17 PM #16

#StreetFocus Offline

• #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.

Lol what would you call it.... You want a safety on a vehicle that shouldn't pass a safety....

May 17, 2017, 02:35 PM #17

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                    • Reputation Power: 13
                                    • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                    Lol what would you call it.... You want a safety on a vehicle that shouldn't pass a safety....

He's not asking for a fake safety.
                                    I've gotten those in the past just for convenience sake. That's when you walk in , pay your bill, and walk out with a safety in your hand.
                                    He's asking for a shop that will look over his car as they should. But maybe not notice or not care about his headlight issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2017, 02:46 PM #18

#StreetFocus Offline

So it's not a valid safety... Aka fake. Lol. Use whatever word ya want, end of the day it's not legit and the shop could lose their MPI accreditation for passing it. So good luck finding someone on the internet who will publicly tell you a shop that will do it.

May 17, 2017, 02:56 PM #19

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                                        • Reputation Power: 13
                                        • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                                        So it's not a valid safety... Aka fake. Lol. Use whatever word ya want, end of the day it's not legit and the shop could lose their MPI accreditation for passing it. So good luck finding someone on the internet who will publicly tell you a shop that will do it.

I wouldn't classify it fake if it's the only thing they made an exception for and they looked over the rest of the vehicle.
                                        That's something you could have changed after the safety.

May 17, 2017, 02:58 PM #20

#StreetFocus Offline

I wouldn't classify it fake if it's the only thing they made an exception for and they looked over the rest of the vehicle.
                                          That's something you could have changed after the safety.

Yeah, but that's not what he's wanting to do, he's asking for an invalid safety lol. On a public forum..

Completely different than putting in approved lights then swapping out after getting a valid safety.

May 17, 2017, 11:35 PM #21

Vince Online

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!

Yeah, but that's not what he's wanting to do, he's asking for an invalid safety lol. On a public forum..

Completely different than putting in approved lights then swapping out after getting a valid safety.
                                            Gear down.

I had a similar situation when I had to safety my car in the fall. I had to find a shop that was forgiving towards lowering springs as Honda, CT, Kaltire and a couple others would have failed my car since I had them.

June 14, 2017, 11:03 AM #22

sick240 Offline

• Vehicle: 91 240sx
                                              • Reputation Power: 5
                                              • sick240 has no influence.
                                              Originally posted by Vince
                                              Gear down.

I had a similar situation when I had to safety my car in the fall. I had to find a shop that was forgiving towards lowering springs as Honda, CT, Kaltire and a couple others would have failed my car since I had them.

so in other words you got someone to do a fake safety for you

June 14, 2017, 12:17 PM #23

Vince Online

Originally posted by sick240
                                                so in other words you got someone to do a fake safety for you

I don't think my safety is "fake". It was a reputable shop and unlike actual fake safeties, they put it up on a lift and properly examined the car. They gave me a warning for my brake pads since one was almost done, but I replaced them shortly after.

June 14, 2017, 12:30 PM #24

jordisonjr Offline

Most fake safeties they don't even look at the car :lol:

Top Tier Imports

Shops that might turn a blind eye to DOT lights
                                                    « Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 12:30 PM »