Author Topic: Intermittent Stalling on warm starts.  (Read 1071 times)

June 07, 2017, 07:42 AM #25

dan Offline

• Reputation Power: 9
  • dan has no influence.
@jordisonjr use an impact hammer bit like in this picture
http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/IXAAAOSwE0JY~6e7/s-l225.jpg

If you require help let me know.   I can pull them out for you.

Top Tier Imports

Intermittent Stalling on warm starts.
    « Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 07:42 AM »

June 07, 2017, 09:02 AM #26

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 199
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    Thanks @dan
    I ended up soaking it with PB blaster 3 times, and then used a phillips socket on a ratchet and that cracked it fairly easily. The PB soaking must have really helped because with just a screwdriver the screw head was starting to warp. Not even strip but the entire X pattern was twisting.

I'm going to cop[y this question from what I posted on a celica Forum incase anyone here knows, as there seems to be more activity here. But this might be Toyota/Celica specific.

Now when it comes to cleaning the IACV, I was reading on a ToyotaNation thread, to remove the electrical plug, and the you will then be able to rotate the valve to completely clean the inside. There seems to be a gooey gum-leak sealant between the plug and the valve itself

You can kind of see it oozing out between the connection here. Anyone know what type of sealant this is? I'd like to be able to re-assemble this after cleaning correctly to avoid issues.

Or would the better option be to go from the opposite end, remove the end cap, and clean from this side:
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

June 07, 2017, 09:20 AM #27

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
      • Reputation Power: 120
      • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
      not sure what kind of sealant that is, but iirc you cant do much from the cap end, its basically a guide for the pin to rotate on, the motor end would be easier to turn, but mine was held on with 5pt torx.
      BAASSSSSSS
      I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
      My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
      Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

June 07, 2017, 09:49 AM #28

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by Ctown8
        not sure what kind of sealant that is, but iirc you cant do much from the cap end, its basically a guide for the pin to rotate on, the motor end would be easier to turn, but mine was held on with 5pt torx.
        Hmm interesting. The sealant was pretty sticky. I don't want to pull it apart and have it not seal properly and have more issues than originally. Maybe Ill just stuff pipe cleaners in it and clean it as best as possible. It wasn't as carbon'd up as I had expected.

Any chance I can grab some screws from you at some point tonight?

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

June 07, 2017, 12:04 PM #29

Ctown8 Offline

• Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
          Originally posted by jordisonjr
          Hmm interesting. The sealant was pretty sticky. I don't want to pull it apart and have it not seal properly and have more issues than originally. Maybe Ill just stuff pipe cleaners in it and clean it as best as possible. It wasn't as carbon'd up as I had expected.

Any chance I can grab some screws from you at some point tonight?
          theyre at my house out in the middle of no where, I can bring them to work with me tomorrow if that works.
          BAASSSSSSS
          I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
          My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!

June 07, 2017, 02:22 PM #30

jordisonjr Offline

theyre at my house out in the middle of no where, I can bring them to work with me tomorrow if that works.
            I didn't realize you lived in the boonies :lol:
            What time you there till? I could prob get there around 5 ish, if that works?

June 14, 2017, 08:32 AM #31

jordisonjr Offline

Finally got it all cleaned up and back together. Had to wait over the weekend for IACV gasket and TB gasket to come in to Toyota.

Drove it for about a hour last night and it seems to run smoothly. However, got home let it sit for about 15-20 min. Engine was still warm, but not right at operating temp (middle of the temp gauge) and sure enough, it wouldn't start. Just cranked and cranked almost as if there was no fuel. About 10 min later of sitting, it did start up after giving it some throttle. Used the throttle to hold it idle for 10-15 seconds, and then it idled normal, as it should.

Next up is to change the coolant temp sensor I suppose, as others have recommended on another forum

June 14, 2017, 12:10 PM #32

Ctown8 Offline

Finally got it all cleaned up and back together. Had to wait over the weekend for IACV gasket and TB gasket to come in to Toyota.

Drove it for about a hour last night and it seems to run smoothly. However, got home let it sit for about 15-20 min. Engine was still warm, but not right at operating temp (middle of the temp gauge) and sure enough, it wouldn't start. Just cranked and cranked almost as if there was no fuel. About 10 min later of sitting, it did start up after giving it some throttle. Used the throttle to hold it idle for 10-15 seconds, and then it idled normal, as it should.

Next up is to change the coolant temp sensor I suppose, as others have recommended on another forum
                I was just gonna say coolant temp sensor is the next place id look.
                BAASSSSSSS

June 14, 2017, 12:29 PM #33

jordisonjr Offline

I was just gonna say coolant temp sensor is the next place id look.
                  That's what a couple people on 6gc recommended. Also I wasn't able to get a very accurate resistance reading on the sensor. Whether that's because it's not functioning properly, or because I was doing something wrong, I'm not sure. But my guess (and hope) is that that is the culprit.

July 11, 2017, 08:34 AM #34

jordisonjr Offline

Well I managed t replace the coolant temp sensor, and have been driving the car a few times a week.
                    I'm fairly confident that the issue has been solved.

I've gone on a couple long drives 1 hour - 2 hours, with a couple 10-15 minute breaks in between. This is usually when the car would have the most trouble, when it has had a chance to cool down a bit, but was still warm. And so far I haven't had any issues.

There was one instance right after changing it where the car had a bit of a rough idle upon starting, however I didn't need to use any throttle to get it to run, but a bit of throttle smoothed out the idle. This has been the only issue that's come up, and it was only once.

I'm not 100% convinced yet, that it's completely solved as i don't want to get my hopes up, but it seems to have solved the issue.

July 11, 2017, 09:46 AM #35

Ctown8 Offline

Well I managed t replace the coolant temp sensor, and have been driving the car a few times a week.
                      I'm fairly confident that the issue has been solved.

I've gone on a couple long drives 1 hour - 2 hours, with a couple 10-15 minute breaks in between. This is usually when the car would have the most trouble, when it has had a chance to cool down a bit, but was still warm. And so far I haven't had any issues.

There was one instance right after changing it where the car had a bit of a rough idle upon starting, however I didn't need to use any throttle to get it to run, but a bit of throttle smoothed out the idle. This has been the only issue that's come up, and it was only once.

I'm not 100% convinced yet, that it's completely solved as i don't want to get my hopes up, but it seems to have solved the issue.
                      Woo, fingers crossed you got it nailed!
                      BAASSSSSSS

Top Tier Imports

Intermittent Stalling on warm starts.
                        « Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 09:46 AM »