Author Topic: Legit vs Knockoff  (Read 1058 times)

June 16, 2017, 02:51 PM #0

jon08 Offline

  • Posts: 389
  • Join Date: Nov 2015
    Location: Winnipeg
  • Real Name: Jon
  • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
Aaaaalright!

Since I'm in the market for some new (or used) set of wheels, and I'm so noob at this. I guess it will not hurt to ask the masters here in forum. =)

1. How to tell if it's an original set or a replica?
2. Can someone please give me a top legit AND replica brands that has an acceptable quality? Realistically speaking, maybe I would go to either cheapest original set, a higher end replica or a used set.

Reason for asking is, whenever I browse the internet for wheels... I could not even tell which one is which, or what brand is considered decent.. and what are the ones I should stay away from.

No specific style at the moment, and as for the price... If financing is available at 0% interest brand new, then may the best offer win.  :banana:

I only know the famous ones, like BBS Enkei Konig etc. Talked to UWW (asking for quotes), and they told me to check Fastco.ca for wheel options.

BTW.. yes I searched. I only saw the thread for XXRs.  :)
Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

    Top Tier Imports

    Legit vs Knockoff
    « on: June 16, 2017, 02:51 PM »

    June 16, 2017, 03:47 PM #1

    whitesi Offline

    • Regular Member
    • Posts: 87
    • Join Date: Jul 2013
    • Real Name: AJ
    • Vehicle: 09 Acura TL SH-AWD, '94 BMW 320i
    • Reputation Power: 3
    • whitesi has no influence.
    Iíve bought and purchased many wheels for different cars. From my perspective, the $4000-$5000 set of wheels isnít much better then a $700-$800 set of replicas for what I used my car for. Check out Aodhan wheels on EBay, they have a web store as well I believe. But I think the Aodhan DS02s would look good on your car. there around $800-$900 CAD.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      June 16, 2017, 04:43 PM #2

      themikewoo Offline

      • Regular Member
      • Posts: 8,683
      • Join Date: Apr 2012
        Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
      • Real Name: Jimmy Choo
      • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
      • Reputation Power: 198
      • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
      Do these wheels server a particular purpose?

      Track, street, hard parking?

      Don't forget about tires. You don't want to blow your budget on rims with poor quality tires then slide your car into a tree.

      Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


        June 16, 2017, 05:10 PM #3

        Vince Offline

        • Regular Member
        • Posts: 5,361
        • Join Date: Aug 2012
          Location: Westwood
        • Vehicle: 2012 Si
        • Reputation Power: 174
        • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
        Telling if the wheel is a knock-off/rep/w.e can be determined by stamping,spelling, lug holes not lining up with spokes/valve stems, or even brand (Rota, Fast, XXR, etc)

        Enkei makes good wheels that aren't too expensive, and there's plenty of them out there.

        Originally posted by whitesi
        Iíve bought and purchased many wheels for different cars. From my perspective, the $4000-$5000 set of wheels isnít much better then a $700-$800 set of replicas for what I used my car for. Check out Aodhan wheels on EBay, they have a web store as well I believe. But I think the Aodhan DS02s would look good on your car. there around $800-$900 CAD.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        It all comes down to construction, from what I've been lead to believe is that "real" wheels are stronger and can survive certain things that would cause catastrophic failure of a "fake" or "rep" wheel. Just google "Fake wheels" if you want to see pictures of some destroyed, but it's hard to say/prove that a legit wheel wouldn't fail in the same situation though, but they are cheaper for a reason, and yes, part of the lower price is because you're not paying for the brand name.


        Originally posted by themikewoo
        Do these wheels server a particular purpose?

        Track, street, hard parking?

        Don't forget about tires. You don't want to blow your budget on rims with poor quality tires then slide your car into a tree.

        Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


        Also this, don't be one of those guys who buys a nice set of wheels then cheaps out and gets some budget rubber.
        (∩ ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

        [May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

          June 16, 2017, 05:34 PM #4

          themikewoo Offline

          • Regular Member
          • Posts: 8,683
          • Join Date: Apr 2012
            Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
          • Real Name: Jimmy Choo
          • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
          • Reputation Power: 198
          • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!


          Originally posted by Vince

          Also this, don't be one of those guys who buys a nice set of wheels then cheaps out and gets some budget rubber.

          Durex is ****. Trojan FTMFW!


          Literally.

          Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


            June 16, 2017, 05:44 PM #5

            jon08 Offline

            • Posts: 389
            • Join Date: Nov 2015
              Location: Winnipeg
            • Real Name: Jon
            • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
            • Reputation Power: 29
            • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
            Thanks for the input guys. Will definitely check them out.

            @whitesi how about the finish quality? Any issues?

            @themikewoo , nothing special really... just wanted to have a nice set for daily summer drives.

            @vince , yes I did google it. Hard to tell tho.. so I wanna verify with people who actually used a set.

            I will not cheap out on tires. I will atleast go with a mid range summer tires.

            That's also why I'm looking to buy a set  just from one store, for a possibly better deal.

            Would rather have cheap wheels than cheap tires.

            Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
            Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:22 PM by jon08
            Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

              June 16, 2017, 07:45 PM #6

              whitesi Offline

              • Regular Member
              • Posts: 87
              • Join Date: Jul 2013
              • Real Name: AJ
              • Vehicle: 09 Acura TL SH-AWD, '94 BMW 320i
              • Reputation Power: 3
              • whitesi has no influence.
              Originally posted by jon08
              Thanks for the input guys. Will definitely check them out.

              @whitesi how about the finish quality? Any issues?

              @themikewoo , nothing special really... just wanted to have a nice set for daily summer drives.

              @vince , yes I did google it. Hard to tell tho.. so I wanna verify with people who actually used a set.

              I will not cheap out on tires. I will atleast go with a mid range summer tires.

              That's also why I'm looking to buy a set  just from one store, for a possibly better deal.

              Would rather have cheap wheels than cheap tires.

              Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

              I havenít personally bought them but I thought they looked nice. Lol.

              Whatís your budget? Rotiform KPS looks good on our cars and the cost for the cast versions arenít too shabby.

              You also cant go wrong with enkei rpf1s, very good high quality lightweight wheel.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                June 16, 2017, 07:54 PM #7

                jon08 Offline

                • Posts: 389
                • Join Date: Nov 2015
                  Location: Winnipeg
                • Real Name: Jon
                • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
                • Reputation Power: 29
                • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
                Originally posted by whitesi
                I havenít personally bought them but I thought they looked nice. Lol.

                Whatís your budget? Rotiform KPS looks good on our cars and the cost for the cast versions arenít too shabby.

                You also cant go wrong with enkei rpf1s, very good high quality lightweight wheel.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                As for the budget, 1500 to 2000 if out of pocket. I can bump it up if financing is available. That's for both wheel and tires.

                Too low?

                Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

                Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                  June 16, 2017, 07:54 PM #8

                  firelizard Offline

                  • Posts: 2,010
                  • Join Date: Jul 2014
                    Location: Winnipeg
                  • Real Name: Ty
                  • Vehicle: UZS161
                  • Reputation Power: 108
                  • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                  Fastco is all generic China wheels. Konig is the longtime leader in cheap cast wheels and knockoffs but they have some decent quality stuff for their price range. Enkei has products from utterly base to quite nice lightweight wheels. If all you care about is appearance, it makes absolutely no difference how "legit" your wheels are. Internet cool guys will give you a hard time though. There is no appreciable difference until you move from gravity cast to things like semi-forged, flow-formed MAT, SSF, or whatever the brand chooses to call their one-piece cast face/spun barrel thing (Enkei RPF1 is a great example), and then again from that to fully forged wheels. Two-piece wheels with a cast face and spun barrel generally cost a lot more than one-piece cast but have much better sizing options because of their modular construction. Quite heavy though. Anything made in Japan as opposed to China is going to cost a lot more, just 'cause. It's like buying clothes.

                  Generally when get into the higher end of a particular kind of wheel, the price increase is partly reflected in better finish, details, packaging, R&D, and a lot of it is just brand power.
                  At the bottom rung would be wheels that are bought in bulk from China and rebranded (Fastco, RTX, that brand that Kal Tire sells). Next up would be companies that design their own budget wheels, sometimes with original designs to follow trends (like XXR, sometimes Konig) or sometimes straight-up copies of popular wheels (Rota, sometimes Konig).
                  There are knockoffs at every level. Work Wheels has been making copies of popular styles for decades. They're still expensive though, and people give them a free pass "because JDM".

                  At the end of the day, if you don't personally care about what brand your wheels are, just get the size and style you want. You have the right idea focusing your budget on tires, because you will get the most benefit out of that.

                  $1500-2000 is an alright budget. It allows for decent tires, depending on the size, and some flexibility in wheel shopping.
                  Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:57 PM by firelizard

                    June 16, 2017, 10:01 PM #9

                    Juan Offline

                    • Posts: 403
                    • Join Date: Feb 2014
                      Location: winnipeg
                    • Real Name: Jon
                    • Vehicle: FRS
                    • Reputation Power: 26
                    • Juan barely matters.Juan barely matters.
                    If you want legit wheels you can buy some fairly cheap wheels from japan from one of the auction sites. Or there are many importers who have stuff in stock.
                    FAHRVERGN‹GEN

                      June 17, 2017, 01:28 AM #10

                      jon08 Offline

                      • Posts: 389
                      • Join Date: Nov 2015
                        Location: Winnipeg
                      • Real Name: Jon
                      • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
                      • Reputation Power: 29
                      • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
                      Originally posted by firelizard
                      Fastco is all generic China wheels. Konig is the longtime leader in cheap cast wheels and knockoffs but they have some decent quality stuff for their price range. Enkei has products from utterly base to quite nice lightweight wheels. If all you care about is appearance, it makes absolutely no difference how "legit" your wheels are. Internet cool guys will give you a hard time though. There is no appreciable difference until you move from gravity cast to things like semi-forged, flow-formed MAT, SSF, or whatever the brand chooses to call their one-piece cast face/spun barrel thing (Enkei RPF1 is a great example), and then again from that to fully forged wheels. Two-piece wheels with a cast face and spun barrel generally cost a lot more than one-piece cast but have much better sizing options because of their modular construction. Quite heavy though. Anything made in Japan as opposed to China is going to cost a lot more, just 'cause. It's like buying clothes.

                      Generally when get into the higher end of a particular kind of wheel, the price increase is partly reflected in better finish, details, packaging, R&D, and a lot of it is just brand power.
                      At the bottom rung would be wheels that are bought in bulk from China and rebranded (Fastco, RTX, that brand that Kal Tire sells). Next up would be companies that design their own budget wheels, sometimes with original designs to follow trends (like XXR, sometimes Konig) or sometimes straight-up copies of popular wheels (Rota, sometimes Konig).
                      There are knockoffs at every level. Work Wheels has been making copies of popular styles for decades. They're still expensive though, and people give them a free pass "because JDM".

                      At the end of the day, if you don't personally care about what brand your wheels are, just get the size and style you want. You have the right idea focusing your budget on tires, because you will get the most benefit out of that.

                      $1500-2000 is an alright budget. It allows for decent tires, depending on the size, and some flexibility in wheel shopping.
                      Wow, thanks for all the info! Did not know Konig makes knockoffs. I thought Fastco is Canadian tho?

                      At the moment, I will be looking at Konig and Rotas. I will be looking for a cheap set.. primarily based on looks... then put the rest of the budget on nice tires.

                      Thanks man!


                      Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

                      Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                        June 17, 2017, 01:29 AM #11

                        jon08 Offline

                        • Posts: 389
                        • Join Date: Nov 2015
                          Location: Winnipeg
                        • Real Name: Jon
                        • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
                        • Reputation Power: 29
                        • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
                        Originally posted by Juan
                        If you want legit wheels you can buy some fairly cheap wheels from japan from one of the auction sites. Or there are many importers who have stuff in stock.
                        Hey! Links? I wanna check it out. Thanks!

                        Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

                        Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                          June 17, 2017, 09:50 AM #12

                          Ctown8 Offline

                          • Posts: 1,567
                          • Join Date: Nov 2013
                            Location: Sanford
                          • Real Name: Colin McAndrew
                          • Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                          • Reputation Power: 121
                          • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                          https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

                          https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list1/jp/2084300257-category.html

                          Check out companies like Streeter Corp: http://jessestreeter.com/
                          They take care of the buying and shipping process of yahoo auctions japan acting as a middle man and just take a small cut as payment for their work.
                          BAASSSSSSS
                          I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                          My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                          Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

                            June 17, 2017, 09:56 AM #13

                            Shaun Offline

                            • Posts: 9,409
                            • Join Date: Jan 2012
                              Location: Oakbank
                            • Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                            • Reputation Power: 370
                            • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                            You'll find a cheaper set of used wheels locally, save the shipping cost, not great exchange rate, and time too. There's plenty of both replicas and higher brand name sets popping up for sale, just watch all the marketplaces on Facebook, the forum, and kijiji.

                              June 17, 2017, 09:39 PM #14

                              jon08 Offline

                              • Posts: 389
                              • Join Date: Nov 2015
                                Location: Winnipeg
                              • Real Name: Jon
                              • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
                              • Reputation Power: 29
                              • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
                              Originally posted by Shaun
                              You'll find a cheaper set of used wheels locally, save the shipping cost, not great exchange rate, and time too. There's plenty of both replicas and higher brand name sets popping up for sale, just watch all the marketplaces on Facebook, the forum, and kijiji.

                              Yeah, keeping an eye on it. Not in a big hurry on the wheels, but the tires needs to be replaced this season. Thanks man!



                              Originally posted by Ctown8
                              https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/

                              https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/list1/jp/2084300257-category.html

                              Check out companies like Streeter Corp: http://jessestreeter.com/
                              They take care of the buying and shipping process of yahoo auctions japan acting as a middle man and just take a small cut as payment for their work.

                              Yessssir! Will check them out! thanks!

                              Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                                June 17, 2017, 11:43 PM #15

                                Vince Offline

                                • Regular Member
                                • Posts: 5,361
                                • Join Date: Aug 2012
                                  Location: Westwood
                                • Vehicle: 2012 Si
                                • Reputation Power: 174
                                • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                                Originally posted by jon08
                                Yeah, keeping an eye on it. Not in a big hurry on the wheels, but the tires needs to be replaced this season. Thanks man!



                                Yessssir! Will check them out! thanks!


                                What kind of tires are you looking at?
                                (∩ ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

                                [May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

                                  June 18, 2017, 12:00 AM #16

                                  heiyuu Offline

                                  • Regular Member
                                  • Posts: 1,179
                                  • Join Date: May 2012
                                    Location: Winnipeg
                                  • Vehicle: 06 Civic, 05 Frontier, 98 Integra, 93 180sx
                                  • Reputation Power: 35
                                  • heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.heiyuu is working their way up.
                                  I recommend te37

                                    June 18, 2017, 01:10 AM #17

                                    jon08 Offline

                                    • Posts: 389
                                    • Join Date: Nov 2015
                                      Location: Winnipeg
                                    • Real Name: Jon
                                    • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
                                    • Reputation Power: 29
                                    • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
                                    Originally posted by Vince
                                    What kind of tires are you looking at?

                                    Good question, I have a list here... hopefully one of them has a decent quality.

                                    245/45

                                    Dunlop Direzza DZ-102 - $235.99(Fountain Tire)
                                    GT Radial Champiro UHP-1 - $193.99(Fountain Tire)
                                    Yokohama Avid Envigor - $212.10 (Kal Tire)
                                    Yokohama S.Drive - $216.74 (Kal Tire) ++
                                    Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - $203.99 (Canadian Tire) ++

                                    245/40

                                    Dunlop Direzza DZ-102 - $207.99 (Fountain Tire)
                                    GT Radial Champiro UHP -1 -$188.99 (Fountain Tire)
                                    Nitto Neo Gen - $214.78 (Kal Tire)
                                    Nitto NT555 G2 - $224.74 (Kal Tire)
                                    Michelin - Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - $224.99 (Costco) - ++

                                    255/45

                                    Dunlop Direzza DZ-102 -$212.99 (Fountain Tire)
                                    GT Radial Champiro UHP-1 - $202.99 (Fountain Tire)
                                    Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - $215.87 (Kal Tire) ++
                                    Yokohama Avid Envigor - $219.90 (Kal Tire)

                                    Talked to some people at the meet, looks like I have to check Michelins too. Those prices are as of this week, and was based on my estimated budget range.

                                    Thoughts? Feel free to eliminate the ones I should not even consider, or add one.

                                    Thanks!

                                    Originally posted by heiyuu
                                    I recommend te37

                                    I would love to have these! Blue on blue combi! But, I think it's way off my budget.
                                     :(

                                    Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:00 PM by jon08
                                    Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                                      June 18, 2017, 01:16 AM #18

                                      Ac3s1609 Offline

                                      • Regular Member
                                      • Posts: 4
                                      • Join Date: Sep 2016
                                      • Real Name: Adam
                                      • Vehicle: 2000 Forester S/Tb
                                      • Reputation Power: 1
                                      • Ac3s1609 has no influence.
                                      I have a set of ESR's (fake 3-piece) on my Forester. they look nice and unless you have an eye for rims, cant really tell they are reps. so far I have no complaints and they bolted on with no issues. You can definitely feel the difference in quality when you hold up a real wheel vs a fake (forged vs cast). Weight is also a factor on the price. Unless you are doing autox or rally or putting down some serious abuse on the wheels, than reps would be fine. But spend some $$$$ on a good set of slicks
                                      Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:19 AM by Ac3s1609
                                      ASeab69

                                        June 18, 2017, 01:47 AM #19

                                        Colby Offline

                                        • Posts: 1,227
                                        • Join Date: Oct 2013
                                          Location: Springfield
                                        • Real Name: Colby
                                        • Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                                        • Reputation Power: 125
                                        • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                                        Personally, Ive had Fast Wheels, Method Wheels, Rays Wheels and Enkeis. To my knowledge there are a few main china based plants that most brands go through to get there wheels cast/produced at. So most of it is the same quality as each other. None of my wheel experiences have ever failed or let me down in any way in the last 200,000kms.

                                        I ran the Yokohama S. Drives for a year and a bit on the legacy before it sold and I loved them. Grippy, never hydroplaned, quiet, decent fuel economy, wore great with a few degrees of negative camber (-2 to -3). They were like hockey pucks on anything below 5 degrees though.

                                        @Igor @Magner @4U2Envy  may have some better tire knowledge than I do, since they actually autocross
                                        '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                                        '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

                                        https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                                        IG: colby_spence
                                        Snap: cspence47

                                          June 18, 2017, 03:39 AM #20

                                          jon08 Offline

                                          • Posts: 389
                                          • Join Date: Nov 2015
                                            Location: Winnipeg
                                          • Real Name: Jon
                                          • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
                                          • Reputation Power: 29
                                          • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
                                          Originally posted by Ac3s1609
                                          I have a set of ESR's (fake 3-piece) on my Forester. they look nice and unless you have an eye for rims, cant really tell they are reps. so far I have no complaints and they bolted on with no issues. You can definitely feel the difference in quality when you hold up a real wheel vs a fake (forged vs cast). Weight is also a factor on the price. Unless you are doing autox or rally or putting down some serious abuse on the wheels, than reps would be fine. But spend some $$$$ on a good set of slicks


                                          Originally posted by Colby
                                          Personally, Ive had Fast Wheels, Method Wheels, Rays Wheels and Enkeis. To my knowledge there are a few main china based plants that most brands go through to get there wheels cast/produced at. So most of it is the same quality as each other. None of my wheel experiences have ever failed or let me down in any way in the last 200,000kms.

                                          I ran the Yokohama S. Drives for a year and a bit on the legacy before it sold and I loved them. Grippy, never hydroplaned, quiet, decent fuel economy, wore great with a few degrees of negative camber (-2 to -3). They were like hockey pucks on anything below 5 degrees though.

                                          @Igor @Magner @4U2Envy  may have some better tire knowledge than I do, since they actually autocross


                                          Thanks guys, it's just for a regular daily driven car so nothing so special. Thinking Bridgestone Potenza RE760 or Michelin  Pilot Sport A/S for the rubbers based on the reviews. Still waiting for the reply from the shops I emailed, some shop only carry specific tire brands.
                                          Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                                            June 18, 2017, 08:33 AM #21

                                            Imprzme Offline

                                            • Regular Member
                                            • Posts: 475
                                            • Join Date: Sep 2012
                                              Location: 'peg
                                            • Vehicle: '16 Legacy 3.6R
                                            • Reputation Power: 20
                                            • Imprzme barely matters.Imprzme barely matters.
                                            Don't forget to check online stores for pricing. There's quite a few that ship out of Quebec at far better prices than most local stores. Added bonus to ordering from them is most don't charge pst.
                                            Save your breath - you'll need it to inflate your girlfriend

                                              June 18, 2017, 09:31 AM #22

                                              Riley Offline

                                              • Posts: 4,781
                                              • Join Date: May 2014
                                              • Real Name: Riley
                                              • Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
                                              • Reputation Power: 131
                                              • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                                              @jon08 the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 is a nice tire. I've been using it this summer, no complaints so far. PMCTire.com pricing on it was good.
                                              #keepingitstock

                                                June 18, 2017, 02:44 PM #23

                                                themikewoo Offline

                                                • Regular Member
                                                • Posts: 8,683
                                                • Join Date: Apr 2012
                                                  Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                                • Real Name: Jimmy Choo
                                                • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                                                • Reputation Power: 198
                                                • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                                                I've had a set of Nitto Neo Gens in the past. Didn't really like them, found out there were too soft of a tire and even for daily duties it wasn't comfortable. Would not buy another set.

                                                  June 18, 2017, 05:24 PM #24

                                                  Gavin Offline

                                                  • Regular Member
                                                  • Posts: 122
                                                  • Join Date: Feb 2015
                                                    Location: Winnipeg
                                                  • Real Name: Gavin Gauthier-Wiebe
                                                  • Vehicle: 2017 Q60 Red Sport
                                                  • Reputation Power: 25
                                                  • Gavin barely matters.Gavin barely matters.
                                                  I found the avig envigors that were on my G37 when I bought it, average, not great. I'd recommend the Michellins or even Falken FK453s. They gripped very well. I had them on my Vossens for my G37. Although, not as great the closer to zero it got.

                                                  I personally go to Dave at Speed Factor for more or less everything and hes generally been very helpful with providing insight on what to get for a specific budget. They also provide financing as you stated you'd consider. But again, depends on how much you are willing to spend. I'm personally against getting cheap wheels & tires as its the only thing keeping your car connected to the ground. That being said, as others have said you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good wheel depending on your use.

                                                  I had good luck with my set of Niche wheels that were used on my G37 and held up very well with quite a bit of abuse ( they were my winter wheels). Although, that being said. I could definitely tell a difference in finish quality between the Niche, my Vossens and now my Rotiforms. Although, it was minor between the Vossens and Niche.
                                                  2017 Q60 RS
                                                  2010 G37X - Sold

                                                    Top Tier Imports

                                                    Legit vs Knockoff
                                                    « Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 05:24 PM »