Author Topic: Legit vs Knockoff  (Read 1057 times)

June 18, 2017, 06:20 PM #25

firelizard Offline

  • Posts: 2,010
  • Join Date: Jul 2014
    Location: Winnipeg
  • Real Name: Ty
  • Vehicle: UZS161
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
I see that you're looking at S.Drives and RE760s. I had S.Drives on a couple of my cars and quite liked them. They're not a real performance tire, and I didn't use them as such but I found them quiet and comfortable and overall quite nice for the price. I was considering them for my GS430 as well but ended up selecting the RE760 and I am really happy with those too. Keep in mind though that I'm always a commuter with sporty-ish cars, so I'm looking more for manners and all-weather handling. In the rain, both tires did not let me down, and in the dry, they were able to keep up with some moderately spirited driving.

Used JDM wheels are in a tough spot right now. Resale prices are much, much higher now that Japanese wheels are widely popular and people have associated a high value to them, plus the higher cost of bringing them in. They're still generally pretty inexpensive in Japan and yeah, Streeter is a great way to get some brought in. Unfortunately, shipping, customs, and exchange can turn a great deal into an average or straight up bad deal. It cost me in the vicinity of $750 to bring in a set of  wheels that did not even cost that much to purchase.

Regarding tire purchases, check out the Canadian sites 1010Tire and PMCTire; the pricing is very competitive, even with shipping. It used to be that DiscountTire or TireRack were sometimes cheaper than buying Canadian but the exchange rate the past few years has skewed things so much that it's rarely worth it. PMCTire is where I ended up finding the best price for my set of RE760s.
Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:22 PM by firelizard

    Top Tier Imports

    Legit vs Knockoff
    « Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 06:20 PM »

    June 18, 2017, 08:15 PM #26

    jon08 Offline

    • Posts: 389
    • Join Date: Nov 2015
      Location: Winnipeg
    • Real Name: Jon
    • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
    • Reputation Power: 29
    • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
    I've updated the list, and got rid of the non-recommended ones. I am also checking online stores, the list I posted are just local store prices. Looks like Falken FK453s are on sale right now at $80 off per tire for 255/45 at 1010tires! If I buy the set online, I would need a shop that can mount, balance and install it for me... but I guess that's not a big problem. haha

    Photo below is the price list for Falken FK453, recommended fit for 18x9.5? 255s?

    Again, thank you guys so much.  :10: :10: :10:

    @Colby , thanks for the tags I appreciate it! . Most of them are 17s tho.  :'(
    Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:41 PM by jon08
    Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

      June 18, 2017, 08:35 PM #27

      cluelessk Online

      • Posts: 1,148
      • Join Date: May 2013
      • Real Name: Matthew
      • Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
      • Reputation Power: 19
      • cluelessk has no influence.
      Originally posted by firelizard
      I see that you're looking at S.Drives and RE760s. I had S.Drives on a couple of my cars and quite liked them. They're not a real performance tire, and I didn't use them as such but I found them quiet and comfortable and overall quite nice for the price. I was considering them for my GS430 as well but ended up selecting the RE760 and I am really happy with those too. Keep in mind though that I'm always a commuter with sporty-ish cars, so I'm looking more for manners and all-weather handling. In the rain, both tires did not let me down, and in the dry, they were able to keep up with some moderately spirited driving.

      Used JDM wheels are in a tough spot right now. Resale prices are much, much higher now that Japanese wheels are widely popular and people have associated a high value to them, plus the higher cost of bringing them in. They're still generally pretty inexpensive in Japan and yeah, Streeter is a great way to get some brought in. Unfortunately, shipping, customs, and exchange can turn a great deal into an average or straight up bad deal. It cost me in the vicinity of $750 to bring in a set of  wheels that did not even cost that much to purchase.

      Regarding tire purchases, check out the Canadian sites 1010Tire and PMCTire; the pricing is very competitive, even with shipping. It used to be that DiscountTire or TireRack were sometimes cheaper than buying Canadian but the exchange rate the past few years has skewed things so much that it's rarely worth it. PMCTire is where I ended up finding the best price for my set of RE760s.

      Also don't be scared to take online prices to Speed Factor or Option. They'll usually be able to get you a pretty deal. Plus no dealing with shipping or customs.
      [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

        June 18, 2017, 08:36 PM #28

        jon08 Offline

        • Posts: 389
        • Join Date: Nov 2015
          Location: Winnipeg
        • Real Name: Jon
        • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
        • Reputation Power: 29
        • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
        Originally posted by cluelessk
        Also don't be scared to take online prices to Speed Factor or Option. They'll usually be able to get you a pretty deal. Plus no dealing with shipping or customs.

        Noted! Will definitely drop by speed factor this week! Thanks!
        Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

          June 18, 2017, 08:55 PM #29

          Vince Offline

          • Regular Member
          • Posts: 5,361
          • Join Date: Aug 2012
            Location: Westwood
          • Vehicle: 2012 Si
          • Reputation Power: 174
          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
          Why didn't you list MPSS's? They are a bit higher than most of the other tires you posted though, for 245/45/18s they're $295/ea on PMCTire but a lot of like them. or Conti Extremecontact DW's, @Shaun used to run them on his WRX if I recall correctly. They're $235 for the same sizing, and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s (which I have), are $216/ea.

          I think you should be able to find good deals on MPSS soon™  (I think...) since Michelin launched a replacement for them (the Pilot Sport 4 S)

          You have Pilot A/S 3's listed, they're an all season tire, not too sure if you were aware.

          Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:57 PM by Vince
          (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

          [May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

            June 18, 2017, 10:20 PM #30

            jon08 Offline

            • Posts: 389
            • Join Date: Nov 2015
              Location: Winnipeg
            • Real Name: Jon
            • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
            • Reputation Power: 29
            • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
            Originally posted by Vince
            You have Pilot A/S 3's listed, they're an all season tire, not too sure if you were aware.

            Good catch, I thought I sorted it by tire type when I checked it so did not bothered looking at the thread pattern. Thanks man.
            Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

              June 18, 2017, 10:34 PM #31

              jon08 Offline

              • Posts: 389
              • Join Date: Nov 2015
                Location: Winnipeg
              • Real Name: Jon
              • Vehicle: 5th Gen WRX
              • Reputation Power: 29
              • jon08 barely matters.jon08 barely matters.
              My apologies guys, let's focus more on the subject for the sake of the future forum user that will have the same question. Sorry for including tires, my bad.  :lol:
              Check this page and see if your vehicle is in one of the photos! - www.flickr.com/jonaduna

                June 19, 2017, 12:02 AM #32

                Vince Offline

                • Regular Member
                • Posts: 5,361
                • Join Date: Aug 2012
                  Location: Westwood
                • Vehicle: 2012 Si
                • Reputation Power: 174
                • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                Originally posted by jon08
                My apologies guys, let's focus more on the subject for the sake of the future forum user that will have the same question. Sorry for including tires, my bad.  :lol:
                Tire discussion is just as important.

                Originally posted by themikewoo

                Durex is ****. Trojan FTMFW!


                Literally.

                Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk


                Miss me with that lifestyle/Durex ****
                (∩ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

                [May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

                  June 20, 2017, 08:17 PM #33

                  themikewoo Offline

                  • Regular Member
                  • Posts: 8,683
                  • Join Date: Apr 2012
                    Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                  • Real Name: Jimmy Choo
                  • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                  • Reputation Power: 198
                  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

                  Top Tier Imports

                  Legit vs Knockoff
                  « Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 08:17 PM »