Author Topic: Abandoned Vehicle - Can I buy?  (Read 217 times)

September 21, 2017, 03:31 PM #0

ATP Offline

• Reputation Power: 2
  • ATP has no influence.
Story:

Vehicle has been abandon on a residential property for 5 years by their son who is "out of the country". I want to buy it. Home owners honestly think that they can't sell it as "it is not theirs to sell".

Is there a law stating that the home owners can sell after a certain amount of time? 

Thanks
Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:34 PM by ATP

Top Tier Imports

Abandoned Vehicle - Can I buy?
    « on: September 21, 2017, 03:31 PM »

September 21, 2017, 04:54 PM #1

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
    • Reputation Power: 94
    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
    I think there is a law that, if you are in posession of a vehicle that hasn't been reported stolen or the like, and after a vin search and a set amount of time has passed, yes you can get ownership of it. I don't think it is 5 years. I think the idea is if you find a car in a field and there's no ownership info and you can't contact anyone, there is a mechanism for that. I think its much longer like 20 years though. But that is just pulling that thought out of thin air. YMMV
    Current Forester count: 1
    Owner, Next Level Escapes

Top Tier Imports

Abandoned Vehicle - Can I buy?
      « Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:54 PM »