Author Topic: Meet "Good Peanut Butter II", my Mk6 GTI  (Read 420 times)

January 01, 2018, 06:07 PM #0

DualClutchDan Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Volkswagen GTI
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • DualClutchDan has no influence.
Hey everyone, thought I would try my hand at a car journal! I've never done one before, hopefully this one goes well.

The car: 2012 Volkswagen GTI, aka "Mk6" generation to those familiar with VW.  Good Peanut Butter sports four doors and Candy White color.  The car has a 2.0L I4 TSI engine (~200 HP and ~207 lb/ft on stock tune, I believe) with 6-speed DSG dual-clutch transmission.

Current mod list (will update this section as new mods come into being):
3" turboback exhaust, consisting of Unitronic 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat mated to Magnaflow catback with 4" rolled edge tips (September '17) 
Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires (June '17)
Red rear GTI badge (April '17)
APR carbonio CAI (Stage I and II) (February '17)
034 motorsport dog bone mount insert (February '17)
DSG paddle shifter extensions (November '16)
VW Sima winter wheels acquired (October '16)
Euro LED tail lights (October '16)
Mk5 lower grille red stripe (August '16)

The story: 

My first car was a Mk4 Golf (2003), purchased in 2013.  This car was really good to me for about three years, and I really liked the way the Golf platform felt to drive.  However, I knew it was about time to upgrade, as I had started to nickel and dime myself to keep this thirteen-year-old car on the road.

In late Spring 2016, I was looking for another Golf, preferably a highline.  I almost made a move on a Highline Mk6 Golf at St. James VW, but then I found out it had one of those faulty Takata airbags.  My brother, who was in Brandon for the summer, told me another little Golf had shown up on the lot of European Auto.  Upon further investigation, he sent me pictures of a very familiar white GTI.  I remembered that I had seen this car advertised by St. James a week before, for only 1K more than the Highline Golf I thought I wanted.  I had convinced myself that a "bit of red trim" was the only thing the GTI had over a highline Golf, and not worth the higher price (holy hell, was I ever wrong lol).  It still had the tell-all orange front plate from St. James VW:

Faith renewed in the GTI model of Golf, I went to Brandon ASAP to test drive this car.  Amateurishly, I decided that day that I wanted this car after a small Brandon test drive.  I didn't even pop the hood, or inspect it.  Knowing what I know now, I would definitely have asked more questions before purchasing next time.  However, I am glad I laid claim to the GTI, as two people were asking about it as they saw me taking it for a test drive, with one person even ready to make an offer before I came back.

The day I got it, parked beside my brother's damned '06 Tiburon that he traded for a Mk6 Jetta:

As it turns out, I got extremely lucky.  Euro Auto gave me a very fair deal on price.   As well, the 2012 was the first year with options that other Mk6s did not have, e.g. the LED DRLs that were not present on 2010 and 2011 bi-xenon headlights.  Furthermore, I am still happy with the stock Serron wheels, as opposed to the pizza cutter Detroit wheels standard on Mk6s.  As well, I am very happy I got the plaid seats, after learning about that GTI tradition since Mk1.  My dog Domino also really likes the plaid seats:

Once I was back home with the GTI, I initially thought "well that's that, new car acquired, time to move on with life".  What I didn't expect was the complete opposite to happen.  I became obsessed with this new addition, and began frequenting Golfmk6 forums and Reddit GTI, trying to gain knowledge about modifications and maintenance.  Parking buddies were appearing beside me.

First parking buddy, which I mistakenly called an R32 at the time lol.

My coworker parking buddies (yes, the Ferrari regular shows up).

I also started going to car meets and meeting new friends/contacts. 

First meet: FNL near Polo Park.

"Dubs at the Lake" 2016

Even tried autocross for the first time at St. Andrews Airport.  Bubbled my stock all-seasons, which made a perfect excuse to upgrade to Pilot Super Sports.

I ran into my old Golf randomly at Unrestricted Empire.  Very upsetting experience, as the card was now completely trashed with garbage, smelled like dog****, had an ill-fitting fart-can exhaust sticking out of a jagged saws-all cut hole in the back bumper.  Anyway, it's part of the journey, so I snapped a pic.

I think the Christmas colors around that guys ass explain it better than words.  However, other than that small exception, I am so grateful and happy that my Mk6 GTI has created a new hobby and interest for me!  I feel like I have gained a wealth of practical skills and knowledge as well.  I will post pictures of some of the mods I have done next:

LED tail lights, dark cherry in color.  How the euro GTIs came.  Probably my favourite mod to date.

Before:

After:

APR carbonio intake.  Installed in my outdoor parking lot in mid-Feb last year, like most of my mods.

Red GTI rear badge.  Installed after seeing this version on Mk7 performance pack GTIs.  Apparently, this $15 badge is the best mod I've done, according to le gf.

Orange side-markers colormatched and European front lip installed.  Once again, this lip was omitted from NA versions.  Essentially, I am trying to make my GTI as Euro as possible.

Before and after installation of turboback exhaust.  Love how the 4" Magnaflow tips really fill out the diffuser!

Winter wheel set up.  VW Sima wheels (16") with a plasti-dip experiment to give it that faux-machined faced appearance lol.  Experiment worked about a 7/10, but I found the wheels with 9/32 tread tires mounted on Kijiji for $200!  A gentleman in Oak Bank who had a Passat previously just wanted them out of his garage. 

And a nice picture of my Mk6 with a Mk7 after a mid-Winter cruise past Lockport. 

Thank you for reading!

Top Tier Imports

Meet "Good Peanut Butter II", my Mk6 GTI
    « on: January 01, 2018, 06:07 PM »

January 01, 2018, 06:43 PM #1

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
    • Reputation Power: 247
    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
    I dig those taillights. How was your autox experience?
    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 01, 2018, 06:51 PM #2

alohaimmatt Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 DGM WRX
      • Reputation Power: 15
      • alohaimmatt has no influence.
      Welcome! Sweet journal! What are you planning next?

January 01, 2018, 08:06 PM #3

DualClutchDan Offline

Originally posted by Igor
        I dig those taillights. How was your autox experience?
        Originally posted by alohaimmatt
        Welcome! Sweet journal! What are you planning next?

Thanks guys!  8-) 

Igor: My autocross experience was great.  The guys running it were very understanding and accommodating of a newbie.  I was cautious at first, but by the end, I was about fifteen seconds off the fastest run of the day!  Not bad for a first time.  I would definitely do it again next summer, maybe just once or twice, because I am trying to preserve my PSS tires for daily use too.

Matt: Next up, I am thinking a tune may be in order.  COBB makes an accessport for the Mk6 platform that I have been considering, or Unitronic.  I am able to go to Stage II right away with my current bolt-ons.  Otherwise, I need a new diverter valve in the spring sometime, as well as checking to make sure my timing chain tensioner is the latest revision and isn't prone to failure (supposedly a common issue with the Mk6s).  Eventually, I will eliminate some wheel gap, as I have a set of H&R sport springs in boxes.  Since suspension was done all brand new right before I bought the car, I may wait a while before putting on these springs, though.  I am not sure if mating these lower springs to OEM struts would cause premature wear, so I may wait until I need to do suspension work.

January 02, 2018, 07:45 AM #4

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
          • Reputation Power: 200
          • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
          That feeling when you see your old car being abused by someone else.

I remember autocross. You should go more, tires are cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

January 02, 2018, 09:38 AM #5

DualClutchDan Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
            That feeling when you see your old car being abused by someone else.

I remember autocross. You should go more, tires are cheap.

Oh man, it was awful.  The car was jammed with four angsty high-schoolers who were out of their mind on something, I swear.  They could barely hold a convo with me, they were so effed up lol.  The smell too, nasty.  Sucks, because my Dad helped me test drive and pick that car, and I drove my new puppy home in that car only a year before :(

I am always keeping an eye on Kijiji for potential set of autox rims.  Hopefully frequenting TTI will increase my chances of finding something!

January 02, 2018, 09:50 AM #6

themikewoo Offline

• themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

Originally posted by DualClutchDan
              I am always keeping an eye on Kijiji for potential set of autox rims.  Hopefully frequenting TTI will increase my chances of finding something!
              Are you a member on the Winnipeg sports car club? Forums.wscc.mb.ca

January 02, 2018, 10:01 AM #7

DualClutchDan Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
                Forums.wscc.mb.ca

Not yet a member, but I will change that shortly lol.  I think they run a HPDE class that I was considering participating in this summer.

January 02, 2018, 10:32 AM #8

themikewoo Offline

Originally posted by DualClutchDan
                  Not yet a member, but I will change that shortly lol.  I think they run a HPDE class that I was considering participating in this summer.
                  Hpde will absolutely destroy your tires. The track at Gimli is extremely abrasive. You'll see, they all will see.

January 03, 2018, 12:51 PM #9

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
                    • Reputation Power: 247
                    • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
                    Yeah that track is not very good for tires, especially on heavier cars. I would recommend doing the hpde event though. I had a blast. Completely different thrill ride than autocross.

A few autocross events shouldnt put too much wear on your PSS. I got 2.5 years out of my Direzza Z1 Star Specs (sticky autox tires) on the old integra with maybe 20-22 autocross events, bunch of road trips, and daily driving. I guess it does depend on the car and how aggressively you drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
                    2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

January 03, 2018, 03:18 PM #10

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                      • Reputation Power: 128
                      • Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!Ctown8 is awe-inspiring!
                      Great start to your journal!

A tune would be a nice next step and also opens the possibility to new mods and the ability to make the most out of those mods.

I love the new tail lights too. Keep it up!
                      BAASSSSSSS
                      I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                      My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                      Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

January 03, 2018, 09:41 PM #11

Colby Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 FXT Limited w/Tech
                        • Reputation Power: 131
                        • Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!Colby is awe-inspiring!
                        any chance you can pick the large thumbnail size for your images???? My country internet can't download them :(
                        '14 FXT Limited w/Way to Much Tech
                        '94 Subaru Legacy RS TT - SOLD

https://www.flickr.com/colbyspence/
                        IG: colby_spence
                        Snap: cspence47

January 03, 2018, 11:02 PM #12

cluelessk Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Cobalt SS
                          • Reputation Power: 21
                          • cluelessk barely matters.cluelessk barely matters.
                          Originally posted by Colby
                          any chance you can pick the large thumbnail size for your images???? My country internet can't download them :(

*56K No Way*
                          [Mar 23 12:14:28] Anne Gus:nah clueless is right

January 04, 2018, 05:00 PM #13

DualClutchDan Offline

Originally posted by Igor
                            Yeah that track is not very good for tires, especially on heavier cars. I would recommend doing the hpde event though. I had a blast. Completely different thrill ride than autocross.

A few autocross events shouldnt put too much wear on your PSS. I got 2.5 years out of my Direzza Z1 Star Specs (sticky autox tires) on the old integra with maybe 20-22 autocross events, bunch of road trips, and daily driving. I guess it does depend on the car and how aggressively you drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.  That makes me a little more confident to do some more autox on these tires in the warmer months to come.  I am pretty moderate in my daily driving style/distances, so it sounds like autox should be okay on the PSSs (and probably very therapeutic as well).  I will get some separate wheels/tires before I attempt Gimli.

Originally posted by Ctown8
                            Great start to your journal!

A tune would be a nice next step and also opens the possibility to new mods and the ability to make the most out of those mods.

I love the new tail lights too. Keep it up!

Thanks!  Yes, I sort of did things a bit backwards with doing the bolt-ons first and tune after.  However, it does mean that I can go for the higher power tunes right away, if I so choose.  After much research, I feel the choice is between COBB accessport and Unitronic Stage 2 for similar cost.

EDIT: and yessssss about the tail lights!  Completely transformed the back end of a car from a regular Golf (which is still a good car) to the Germany-made GTI it truly is!

Originally posted by Colby
                            I'll try yo!  Will update tonight if I can successfully figure out how to do that.

Yesterday at 10:03 PM #14

Lou Offline

• Vehicle: 2017 Toyota 86
                              • Reputation Power: 35
                              • Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.Lou is working their way up.
                              Just read through the journal, nicely done. Such a clean look so far. Did the new tail lights require any VAG-COM coding to operate properly? I too am a big fan of the Serron wheels. So much nicer than the detroits or the austins imo. I had a set of H&R sport springs on my mk6 golf and found the ride to be quite compliant. Unfortunately I didn't have the car long enough to determine if they would cause any premature damper issues.

Not sure how much you've looked into the install process but I have done it before and would be willing to help or lend the tools. I'm fairly sure the process would be exactly the same on a GTI. There were a few less common tools I bought to do the install such as a set of triple square sockets and a 24mm 12 point socket. I used a 1/4" adapter to spread the strut cup apart which worked alright.

Top Tier Imports

Meet "Good Peanut Butter II", my Mk6 GTI
                                « Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 10:03 PM »