Author Topic: New DOT standards in MB? Cant safety my car to sell it...??  (Read 436 times)

January 09, 2018, 09:58 PM #0

Pleiades Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Subaru Blitzen Wagon
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Pleiades has no influence.
Hey, so admittedly I know next to nothing about all this, so forgive me if Im asking things that are "common knowledge.."

I was hoping to safety and sell my subaru this week but was told that it couldn't pass safety because aside from the DRL's and headlights, all of my light fixtures are not DOT certified and therefore not legal in MB. Without a sister model of car (mine is a legacy wagon blitzen edition,) I am left without an option to swap from a junkyard or something. Essentially, I'm stuck with a car that my family seems to be fast outgrowing.

So!

1) Is all of this legitimate? I got my car registered using its original B.C safety last June, so I guess something has changed since then?
2) Is there someone/somewhere I can talk to about getting new lights for my car?
3) Am I S.O.L?
4) HOW am I ever going to import an Elgrand now??!?!?

Thanks

Top Tier Imports

January 09, 2018, 11:01 PM #1

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 177
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    AFAIK you always needed DOT stamped headlights, seat belts, DRLs, etc to pass an MB safety.

Do the headlights from a USDM 01' Legacy Wagon not fit? Quick google search found me a parts interchange list "00-04 Head lights all (Note: GT/OB/Baja are different but will interchange)"
    Sauce - https://sl-i.net/FORUM/archive/index.php/t-14481.html

Post in 204 Subaru Marketplace/Canada JDM Marketplace looking for headlights.

I think you should double check import requirements, and safety requirements before you import an Elgrand.

From MPI:
    Quote (selected)
    Importers should be aware that modifications and replacements parts may be required for items such as:

-lights and reflectors
    -head lamps, brake lamps (including the centre high mounted brake lamp), tail lamps, side reflex reflectors, side marker lamps
    -daytime running lamps
    -windshield and other glass
    -tires
    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

January 10, 2018, 01:24 PM #2

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
      • Reputation Power: 44
      • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
      BC vs. MB safety standards may be different, MB is pretty tough on stuff like this.  Why would any 3rd gen USDM Legacy headlights not fit?  Never mind a sister car, they sold that model here, I'm not seeing the problem.
      '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
      '04 Lexus GX470

January 10, 2018, 03:51 PM #3

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
        • Reputation Power: 94
        • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
        The simple solution is to swap in usdm lights.

If it is too much of a pain, technically they don't all have to be DOT stamped, they could be e-code stamped, but have to be angled straight (there are usually arrows on the lights that show if it is angled in a direction - if it only has a forward arrow and no side arrow, that one is ok: for JDM cars that means the right-hand light is usually OK but the left hand one isn't, because it points into oncoming traffic).

Seat belts are a non-issue. They used to be only CMVSS / FMVSS stamp approved, but it's been proven that the JIS standard is both compatible and beats those standards, so it is accepted too.
        Current Forester count: 1
        Owner, Next Level Escapes

January 10, 2018, 04:14 PM #4

Pleiades Offline

For the tail lights I can probably get away with a swap, but I'm not sure about the lights on the actual tailgate. The guy at the shop seemed to be after me for everything, even the spoiler light.

January 10, 2018, 06:31 PM #5

peg_pulsar Offline

• Vehicle: Pulsar GTI-R, Colorado
            • Reputation Power: 12
            • peg_pulsar has no influence.
            MB at it again. How does every shop not know about this yet. Headlights are the only light that needs DOT on it, UNLESS you have the proper e-code markings on it. Tail lights, signal lights DO NOT NEED TO BE DOT. Any e-code will pass a Manitoba safety for signal lights, brake lights. Not one of my lights on the car says DOT anywhere on it, and it passed. I was pulled over years ago, brought it to MPI on plessis, took the guy out to my car, showed him every light, argued my case with the head lights, then drove away. No DOT markings anywhere. There's a thread on here somewhere that me or someone else posted the MPI bulletin on regarding this issue.
            Dano's got his info messed up on the arrow situation though. Each headlight will have 2 arrows on it if it is directional. One arrow is to say if it is the left or right headlight, the other arrow is to show which side of the road it has been designed for. I have pictures of all the different sets of headlights I've had over the years somewhere but if one light is technically legal and the other isn't then they didn't come as a set from the same car.
            I'll try to find that bulletin.
            1992 Nissan Pulsar Gti-R
            1990 Toyota 4Runner (R.I.P)
            2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 SOLD
            2005 Chevrolet Colorado

BW:145ish. PR's: S-419, B-270, D-510, Wilks-427

January 10, 2018, 06:43 PM #6

peg_pulsar Offline

• Vehicle: Pulsar GTI-R, Colorado
              • Reputation Power: 12
              • peg_pulsar has no influence.
              http://toptierimports.com/index.php?topic=546.25

See this post, has the bulletin in it. I think I was wrong about the tail lights/corner lights. Reading that it looks like they do still depend.
              1992 Nissan Pulsar Gti-R
              1990 Toyota 4Runner (R.I.P)
              2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 SOLD
              2005 Chevrolet Colorado

BW:145ish. PR's: S-419, B-270, D-510, Wilks-427

January 10, 2018, 08:18 PM #7

Pleiades Offline

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies! I'm gonna try and get this figured out tomorrow, and will keep you posted

January 10, 2018, 11:17 PM #8

IanB Offline

• IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                  That's a neat car, post some more pics!  Hopefully you don't have to swap those rear lights, that would suck.  I take my JDM's to Can Tire Unicity, they don't seem to get too concerned about stuff like some other places, maybe other CT's are the same.
                  '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                  '04 Lexus GX470

January 11, 2018, 12:28 PM #9

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL, 2002 Subaru Forester XT
                    • Reputation Power: 94
                    • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
                    Originally posted by peg_pulsar
                    Dano's got his info messed up on the arrow situation though. Each headlight will have 2 arrows on it if it is directional. One arrow is to say if it is the left or right headlight, the other arrow is to show which side of the road it has been designed for. I have pictures of all the different sets of headlights I've had over the years somewhere but if one light is technically legal and the other isn't then they didn't come as a set from the same car.
                    I'll try to find that bulletin.
                    All of the foresters I've owned had the same thing on the headlights. Maybe I mis-stated one of the directions, but the overall idea is the same.

One of the lights either has a straight arrow and no directional arrow, or has both directional arrows, indicating that it is OK for safety.

The other light (the passenger / left side) is not intended for right-hand drive roadways and would normally be rejected.

If the shop is giving you this much of a hassle, just go to a different one. There's plenty of links to shops on the forum where people have asked where to safety jdm cars in winnipeg.
                    Current Forester count: 1
                    Owner, Next Level Escapes

January 12, 2018, 02:05 PM #10

Pleiades Offline

Got a safety!! What a headache. But in the end they just dinged me for a few bulbs that they changed out. Bahara Motors in Selkirk for the win!!

January 12, 2018, 02:40 PM #11

IanB Offline

Originally posted by Pleiades
                        Got a safety!! What a headache. But in the end they just dinged me for a few bulbs that they changed out. Bahara Motors in Selkirk for the win!!

Fantastic news!  Now make with the pics!  Here's one of the wife's old '05 2.5i Ltd. wagon with Blitzen wheels to get the ball rolling.
                        '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                        '04 Lexus GX470

January 12, 2018, 02:54 PM #12

Pleiades Offline

I cant figure out how to post multiple pictures. So heres an IMGUR link: https://imgur.com/a/xQ3ph

I also did a quick (It was fantastically cold out today) video walk around. I posted that link in the for sale section, but its also right here ---> https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOeNgXAOs0Hbs2nm8labb_2953jH4pu85P3-1l7Duo6AC34wtkHK5-ANbJTG9Msdw?key=YVJwMmFXZjNGWmlDaWtFeWdGR3EwTkJNclNPaURn

Top Tier Imports

New DOT standards in MB? Cant safety my car to sell it...??
                            « Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 02:54 PM »