Author Topic: Places to safety JDM's  (Read 5714 times)

August 21, 2012, 03:41 PM #0

Dezner Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V GSR
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Dezner has no influence.
Basically the title. I've decided it might be nice for my car's next owner to buy the car already safetied so I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any JDM friendly shop that might safety my car without pulling any wiseguys on me. Thanks.

Top Tier Imports

Places to safety JDM's
    « on: August 21, 2012, 03:41 PM »

August 21, 2012, 04:26 PM #1

TonyPajamaz Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Audi A4, 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata
    • Reputation Power: 78
    • TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.
    Your car is stock and has e coded light correct? You should be good to go anywhere.
     A valid safety on a jdm vehicle is an instant sell.
    [Jan 01 21:16:06] Faken:most steady hand/10

[Sep 23 14:27:56] Faken:i was focusing on dan's bum

August 21, 2012, 04:46 PM #2

trdsoarer93

stock or not, just like any LHD vehicle, aslong as its legal, and the components are within specs, your car will pass a safety inspection, nothing special about a RHD otherwise when doing a check.
      So find a place you prefer, and book an appt.

August 21, 2012, 05:03 PM #3

ACiFiC Offline

• Vehicle: x2 Eunos
        • Reputation Power: 85
        • ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
        Originally posted by trdsoarer93
        stock or not, just like any LHD vehicle, aslong as its legal, and the components are within specs, your car will pass a safety inspection, nothing special about a RHD otherwise when doing a check.
        So find a place you prefer, and book an appt.

I was turned away from several places to do a safety and to get an Allignment.

So no. Not every place will treat you like a normal car.

Hopefully we get good listings here.
        Originally posted by Winter Beater
        If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

August 21, 2012, 05:34 PM #4

evo1 Offline

• Vehicle: 1992 Lancer Evolution RS, 6.7 SRW Mega Cab 3500
          • Reputation Power: 9
          • evo1 has no influence.
          Originally posted by ACiFiC
          Not every place will treat you like a normal

Truth. I have had the same troubles with being turned away. As though it's not even a vehicle.
          And I have also had problems with choosing the wrong shop. Like being charged 6 hours labor on top of a wheel alignment.....

August 21, 2012, 06:06 PM #5

TonyPajamaz Offline

• TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.
            my stock comment was in reference to things like exhaust suspension, and bulb colour etc....things that some shops would fail a car for.

August 21, 2012, 06:18 PM #6

trdsoarer93

I would also have to turn you down too for an alignment as your miata wouldnt make it up the driveon bay.. not because i dont want to but because your car is too low to drive it up, driving it up that ramp would be required to do a safety in my shop as well. So its not about it being RHD or JDM -
              you cant walk into a MPI broker location and have them refuse to renew your license just because your black, or white or yellow, male, female, etc etc unless you pose a threat to their personal safety via verbal or physical abuse, also shops cannot refuse to do a safety just because your car is JDM -

August 21, 2012, 07:08 PM #7

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                • Reputation Power: 42
                • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                I used to take everything to Canadian Tire, but this last go round they said they wouldn't do a safety on anything older than 10 years!  I don't think this sounds right, and if I have time I may follow up on it, you shouldn't get to pick and choose what vehicles you'll inspect if you want to do MB safeties.  It's all or nothing IMO.

As for where to take it, I went to Adam's Bro's Automotive on Sherbrook as it was close to work.  They called to tell me I passed with a loose battery clamp and headlight aiming correction, then called back to say the mechanic called VIU and I now needed seatbelts with proper tags (CMVSS/FMVSS), and brake hoses that had DOT/SAE markings.  I was a bit pissed off at 1st, but now I KNOW the truck is up to spec.  They also checked for proper markings on all the windows, etc so I should be able to drive with confidence that I'm up to code now.

Are you looking for a place that will overlook things, or a place that will make sure you're up to code and won't get tickets if pulled over?
                '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
                '04 Lexus GX470

August 21, 2012, 09:55 PM #8

Dezner Offline

I'm looking for a place that won't mess with me. My car is 100% compliant but I know of a few shops that won't do JDM's and a few that think the neutral safety switch is a must. I know which section of the safety handbook it says that I don't need one because it wasn't originally installed but I'd rather not have to debate. I know it shouldn't be a debate when the rule is written but I've heard of enough calls to MPI for confirmation going either way and when it comes down to it, I've learned that you can't win with MPI.

Long story short, I want the rules to be followed. No trouble.

August 21, 2012, 11:30 PM #9

EH2_Abe Offline

• Vehicle: 92 Honda Civic Vx
                    • Reputation Power: 9
                    • EH2_Abe has no influence.
                    i was turned away from every shop in Winkler and Morden when I had my Rx7. A local guy had a business selling imported cars, and got the safetied at a certain shop, and screwed him over. So everyone from then on was scared of having there license pulled. Mine passed with no neutral safety switch. But he made me fix things like powersteering leak, clogged windshield washer nozzles, get day time running lights installed. The things that ACTUALLY made sence to fix. I don't leave my cars in gear when i turn them off, so the neutral safety switch wasn't a big deal to him. Also my back seats didn't have buckles for the seat belts, so he said I either have to remove the back seat, or get buckles. Removed the bottom half, and no seatbelts required! Good dude. Forget the name of the place. I have my safety paper still somewhere

August 21, 2012, 11:36 PM #10

ACiFiC Offline

• ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.ACiFiC is a force to reckon with.
                      Originally posted by trdsoarer93
                      I would also have to turn you down too for an alignment as your miata wouldnt make it up the driveon bay.. not because i dont want to but because your car is too low to drive it up, driving it up that ramp would be required to do a safety in my shop as well. So its not about it being RHD or JDM -
                      you cant walk into a MPI broker location and have them refuse to renew your license just because your black, or white or yellow, male, female, etc etc unless you pose a threat to their personal safety via verbal or physical abuse, also shops cannot refuse to do a safety just because your car is JDM -

My car was completely stock, they didn't even give me a chance and turned it away.

Dropped it off, Told them it was a Miata and they were fine with it till they saw it was right hand drive they called me to get it.

It is about RHD JDM. Your argument is invalid.
                      If a car is shows that a solid effort was made, and the car is reasonably well executed I can respect that. Even if it's not my cup of tea..

August 22, 2012, 01:05 PM #11

BlackRC3 Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Toyota Tacoma TRD Double Cab
                        • Reputation Power: 4
                        • BlackRC3 has no influence.
                        I brought mine in for a safety not too long ago, they didn't even bother checking the new seatbelts but did point out that the headlights failed due to a recent MPI bulletin.  My cut-offs angle up into oncoming traffic as opposed to into the ditch.

August 22, 2012, 05:49 PM #12

ZAKU Offline

• Reputation Power: 28
                          • ZAKU barely matters.ZAKU barely matters.
                          A co-worker suggested Simcoe motors on Notre Dame when I was looking to get my S14 safetied.

Originally posted by IanB
                          I used to take everything to Canadian Tire

Oh god, why?
                          I consider every deleted post a small victory.

August 23, 2012, 04:39 AM #13

Dezner Offline

Originally posted by ZAKU
                            A co-worker suggested Simcoe motors on Notre Dame when I was looking to get my S14 safetied
                            Did you try them? Are they cooperative?

August 23, 2012, 08:23 AM #14

IanB Offline

• IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                              Oh god, why?

The theory was that if anyone was going to overlook things, it would be them.  I have never let them work on any of my vehicles, just look at them.  And they were close to home and open in the evenings.
                              '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                              '04 Lexus GX470

August 23, 2012, 10:00 AM #15

ZAKU Offline

• Reputation Power: 28
                                • ZAKU barely matters.ZAKU barely matters.
                                Originally posted by Dezner
                                Did you try them? Are they cooperative?

Didn't go there , but one of the techs owns a rhd so while they won't overlook things they also won't bull**** you.
                                I consider every deleted post a small victory.

August 23, 2012, 11:00 AM #16

TonyPajamaz Offline

The theory was that if anyone was going to overlook things, it would be them.  I have never let them work on any of my vehicles, just look at them.  And they were close to home and open in the evenings.

Back when I had my skyline, lots of people would tell me to go to CT on Kenaston because it was common knowledge they didn't look for dot lighting.

August 23, 2012, 01:04 PM #17

IanB Offline

Originally posted by TonyPajamaz
                                    Back when I had my skyline, lots of people would tell me to go to CT on Kenaston because it was common knowledge they didn't look for dot lighting.

These days with the VIU, I'd rather know it's all legal, way bigger PITA + demerits (which is retarded) if you get caught with equipment that isn't to spec.  But pre-VIU, if you could just get through safety, you were pretty well good to go.
                                    '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                    '04 Lexus GX470

August 23, 2012, 01:12 PM #18

ACiFiC Offline

so frustrating!

August 23, 2012, 06:59 PM #19

TonyPajamaz Offline

These days with the VIU, I'd rather know it's all legal, way bigger PITA + demerits (which is retarded) if you get caught with equipment that isn't to spec.  But pre-VIU, if you could just get through safety, you were pretty well good to go.

I just dealt with both my viu tickets in May in court.  Went to the responsible drivers course because of them, got my license renewal a couple of weeks ago and wasn't hit with any demerits for either ticket.

August 24, 2012, 04:49 AM #20

Dezner Offline

Didn't go there , but one of the techs owns a rhd so while they won't overlook things they also won't bull**** you.
                                          I might try them next week then. My car is extremely stock and legal.

I just dealt with both my viu tickets in May in court.  Went to the responsible drivers course because of them, got my license renewal a couple of weeks ago and wasn't hit with any demerits for either ticket.
                                          They probably didn't process it yet then. My license took a hit this renewal date for a ticket 2 years ago due to being processed late. It's a way of stunting your progress up the scale.

August 24, 2012, 04:50 AM #21

Dezner Offline

Oops. Extra comment.

August 24, 2012, 09:23 AM #22

TonyPajamaz Offline

They probably didn't process it yet then. My license took a hit this renewal date for a ticket 2 years ago due to being processed late. It's a way of stunting your progress up the scale.

The instructor at the responsible drivers course was pretty confident that I wouldn't take a hit on my license for these kinds of tickets....but I guess we will wait and see.

August 24, 2012, 09:29 AM #23

ACiFiC Offline

My license took a hit this renewal date for a ticket 2 years ago due to being processed late. It's a way of stunting your progress up the scale.

Wow, typically mine were instant, but I actually have a delayed one waiting now that I think of it

August 24, 2012, 09:39 AM #24

IanB Offline

The instructor at the responsible drivers course was pretty confident that I wouldn't take a hit on my license for these kinds of tickets....but I guess we will wait and see.

I hope that is the case, demerits for equipment infractions is ridiculous.
                                                  '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                                  '04 Lexus GX470

Top Tier Imports

Places to safety JDM's
                                                    « Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 09:39 AM »