Author Topic: Mazda FS-DE a.k.a. 'Y U NO SAVE UR MONIES?!'  (Read 3395 times)

March 18, 2012, 11:40 PM #0

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
Long story short, I bought a 2000 Protege DX to use for hauling, road trips, winter, and it grew on me. But the 1.6L auto is such a bore. So I decided I wanted a 2.0L right meow. My whining fell on the right ears, and a friend got me hooked up with a 2.0L with a blown head gasket, out of a Protege5. So grabbed that, and started thinking about what to do with it. At first I wanted to put it in the Protege.. but that's so much work. Needs new harness, new mounts, conversion from auto to manual which is a whole feat in itself... no, this won't do. So the Protege is getting the water pump and timing belt done, body tarted up a bit, and hopefully sold at a profit. Or kept around as a utility vehicle.

This thread is about the engine.

Liberated from any timelines related to putting it in this Protege, I can fiddle with it as much as my budget will allow, and then look for a suitable 2.0L car to swap dinks with when it's done.

So the first question was: forced induction, or naturally aspirated?

TURBO!!!!

No. A bit of reading quickly revealed that the FS has rods like toothpicks, and even at stock Mazdaspeed Protege levels of boost, it's not a reliable engine. So that would automatically require forged rods. And low compression pistons, otherwise there's no point. Then the manifold, plumbing, intercooler, fuel management yada, yada, yada, yada..

There had to be a better way. :unamused:

So, NA then? How much fun could that be? Enter the Mazdaspeed FS-ZE. Y'see, while North America got a the limited production Mazdaspeed Protege which was essentially a stock 2.0L with an intercooled T25 slapped on it, Japan got a limited production Mazdaspeed Familia which used the Japanese market FS-ZE, 10.7:1 compression pistons, and more aggressive cams + ECU to go with all of that.

The result of that is still 170hp, just like the turbo Protege, but with 136lb-ft, vs. 160lb-ft, and a powerband that goes up to 7000, rather than 6500.

But then there's the other problem: FS-ZEs are expensive, and I already have an engine! So what do? Math.

According to the Internet, the pistons from the 1.8L FP-DE (basically a de-stroked version of the FS), put into an FS-DE, will raise the compression ration to 9.7:1 (vs. 9.1:1 stock). That sure ain't FS-ZE territory, but it's a nice step in the right direction.

So now we're cooking with bacon, and I've got a gameplan that should work out okay, with a little help from some additional components. Here's the recipe:

FS-DE
Shaved and ported cylinder head (I can't do the math on this one, but the goal is ~10:1 compression)
Mazdaspeed camshafts
FP-DE pistons
ACL bearing set
ARP head studs
Cometic headgasket
Lightweight crank pulley
Overhaul (gaskets, bolts etc., replace as needed)
Innovate LC-1 wideband O2
Some sort of piggy-back AFC should hopefully do the trick. If not, then Megasquirt. Tuning is definitely not something I know anything about.
Down the line, upgraded valve springs and retainers, for reliability at high RPM use, if everything else goes well.

That's all fine and dandy, but I actually need to do stuff now, so that's the part I'm on now. I have just finished taking the head off the engine today. Now I need to carefully disassemble the valvetrain and get the head to the machine shop. While that's getting done, I'll need to put the block on my stand and remove the crank and pistons as well, then the block can go get cleaned and honed (bored if necessary).

Pics soon!

Top Tier Imports

Mazda FS-DE a.k.a. 'Y U NO SAVE UR MONIES?!'
    « on: March 18, 2012, 11:40 PM »

March 19, 2012, 09:24 AM #1

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
    • Reputation Power: 205
    • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
    Damn.
    Sounds like you really know what you are doing haha.
    Look forward to following this!
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

March 19, 2012, 10:52 AM #2

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
      • Reputation Power: 38
      • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
      LC1
      Megasquirt

Sounds like a neon build, except N/A. You better use a PNP Megasquirt!

Be careful when you shave the head, you may need to find a different timing belt.

In for updates.
      BNRJAMZ
      '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
      Originally posted by: Igor
      i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

March 19, 2012, 08:51 PM #3

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
        • Reputation Power: 67
        • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
        In for updates. Your builds always interest me.

June 05, 2012, 11:27 PM #4

MerlotMicaMiata Offline

• Vehicle: 1995 Mazda Miata M-Edition
          • Reputation Power: 1
          • MerlotMicaMiata has no influence.
          Put a Miata engine in it, ebay turbo. 180+ hp. Rear wheel drive swap. You probably have one lying around Tyrone... lol.
          Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:53 PM by MerlotMicaMiata

June 05, 2012, 11:45 PM #5

Eppic Offline

• Vehicle: Miata's (lots of them)
            • Reputation Power: 29
            • Eppic barely matters.Eppic barely matters.
            If not. I do!!! I wanna sell it. I give you best price.

June 06, 2012, 05:05 PM #6

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
              • Reputation Power: 108
              • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
              The FS-ZE squeezes out 170hp naturally aspirated, this should come close. Should be plenty for whatever DD the engine will into eventually. As you may have guessed by the lack of updates though, this project is on the backburner while I get other stuff done.

Top Tier Imports

Mazda FS-DE a.k.a. 'Y U NO SAVE UR MONIES?!'
                « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 05:05 PM »