Author Topic: The Gym/Nutrition Thread  (Read 178267 times)

October 03, 2012, 02:29 PM #25

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
  • Reputation Power: 198
  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
I drink protien post workout only as well. I also take hormones in my shakes. It is 10% protien, 80% anabiolic steroids, and 10% estrogen. The estrogen is to counter my roid rage.

Top Tier Imports

The Gym Thread
    « Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 02:29 PM »

October 03, 2012, 02:42 PM #26

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
    • Reputation Power: 31
    • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
    This isnt much of a gym thread, its more of a supplement arguing thread.

Lets post some of our workout routines etc.  I seem to platue and get bored on the workouts I do.  Im always up for trying someone elses workout to keep things new and exciting.

October 03, 2012, 02:55 PM #27

Dark_daku89 Offline

• Vehicle: 2003 Subaru WRX Spec R1 #68 / 2001 Lexus LS430UL
      • Reputation Power: 11
      • Dark_daku89 has no influence.
      Whats your routine like now?

Chiropractor at Osborne Chiropractic Office

October 03, 2012, 03:39 PM #28

SavageTaco Offline

• Vehicle: Evo9 GG MR
        • Reputation Power: 15
        • SavageTaco has no influence.
        As mentioned before, Im doing the westside barbell routine. Since you don't always do the same exersizes over and over its always fresh (at least at the moment lol).

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/westside-barbell-basic-template-469668.html

Strength training though, no so much for bodybuilding.....then again some of the best body builders come from a powerlifting background.
        Evo 9 aka "The Grinch" pump gas warrior
        Self tuned on an AEM V2
        2000 Aristo V300 - Daily
        "When in doubt run flat out"- C Mcrae

October 03, 2012, 03:41 PM #29

Dark_daku89 Offline

added to list!

October 03, 2012, 04:59 PM #30

SavageTaco Offline

Good idea making a list....easy access.
            Self tuned on an AEM V2
            2000 Aristo V300 - Daily

October 03, 2012, 05:16 PM #31

Igor Offline

• Vehicle: 2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech
              • Reputation Power: 246
              • Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!Igor is awe-inspiring!
              I've always wanted to get into working out and getting in shape but every time I start i just lose motivation or i become super busy with school. The biggest reason why i lose motivation is because of the lack of knowledge of proper nutrition and a proper workout routine. I'm hoping once school is done i will have more to time apply towards working out and so on. Is there any material that you guys could recommend that I read up on or who to see for information regarding safe workout and safe dietary needs for weight loss?
              2000 Acura Integra GSR - Sold
              2014 Subaru WRX STI Sport Tech

October 03, 2012, 09:27 PM #32

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                • Reputation Power: 108
                • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.

October 03, 2012, 09:33 PM #33

SavageTaco Offline

1) There is never time for the gym.....you make time.

2) Just make sure that you always have a plan going into the gym. What you're working that day, how many sets you're doing of each.....etc (Chest day, leg day...whatever your split is day). One thing I've observed that can cause people to stop going, are guys running around to all different types of machines, no plan, then 3 months down the road (if they make it that long) nothing really to show for it. All because they didn't plan out what they were doing or what their goal was.

Also its nice to have a goal to aspire to, achievable ones. A goal may be loosing 10 pounds, or gaining 10 pounds, once its achieved you feel some accomplishment and move on to another goal that you set for yourself.

I must have started and stopped at the gym 10+ times before i stuck with it. I may be talking out my ass here, but those are some things that i have notice and have helped me stick with it.
                  Self tuned on an AEM V2
                  2000 Aristo V300 - Daily

October 03, 2012, 09:55 PM #34

AWDSOME

Having some kind of accountability partner helps. Someone to kick your butt into keeping your routine. Having scheduled appointments with my personal trainer helped HUGE. I know it's a little pricey for some people, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a personal trainer. Find a gym buddy that won't bail on you, and that you can figure out a time to go with that's convenient for both of you and you'll find it harder to bail. Assuming they'll be the motivating type. I need a gym buddy if someones looking! haha I can't find motivation :\

October 04, 2012, 02:49 AM #35

El Dorifto Offline

• Vehicle: 93 JDM Impreza WRX Turbo, 47 Ford Rat-Rod
                      • Reputation Power: 14
                      • El Dorifto has no influence.
                      Exactly, if you have someone there to motivate you and you motivate them, then its win/ win. Also set actual goals that can be attained. Dont expect to get jacked in no time flat kinda deal. Hard work pays off and so does determination, the only obstacle is yourself.

I listen to music when I run and work out, I make sure it changes up during the playlist. Fast screamo and lots of bass help me through my long distance runs.

Also, for people who lift remember that changing up your sets/ reps as well as giving certain areas a rest period will do your body wonders. People who workout every single day and for well over 2 solid hours are just doing their bodies damage. I never workout for longer than 2 hours, your body goes into a state where it eats muscle.
                      Cardio helps you to, whats the point in being able to bench or lift X amount of pounds if you get gassed out quickly.
                      - Mechanic/ Autobody extroadinaire (No longer taking in new projects/ work as of Oct/10/2013 till all current ones are finished)
                      - http://www.youtube.com/TheLou1
                      - 93 JDM Impreza WRX Turbo
                      - 47 Ford 3 Window Pick-up Rat-Rod (ground up rebuild)
                      - 47 Mercury Sedan Lead Sled (ground up rebuild

October 04, 2012, 10:08 AM #36

Over Sized Offline

• Vehicle: lifted 99 crv and lowered supercharged 98 crv
                        • Reputation Power: 2
                        • Over Sized has no influence.
                        Agreed with a lot of what is said above,I to shoot for 250+ grams of protein a day and getting all that in food is hard,for the antioxidents I take phytoberry. I started working out again last winter when I hit 260lbs of all fat..wasn't a pretty site..dropped down to 164 and started bulking back up,I still have a small gut but that's cuz I didn't fully cut down,but back up to 185 and solid. I got tired of using the ymca gym due to waiting for the next machine so I started buying stuff and now use my basement. I have around 600lbs+ in weights,2 benches a squat rack,dip/cable machine,olyptical, treadmill and a stationary bike. No wait times now.lol

October 04, 2012, 10:15 AM #37

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
                          • Reputation Power: 31
                          • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
                          Originally posted by SavageTaco
                          1) There is never time for the gym.....you make time.

Thats the truth.  You also have to want to go.  I used to go to the gym becuase I wanted the bennefits, lose weight, gain muscle etc.  Now I go becuase I actually enjoy my time at the gym and achieving the goals is a bonus kinda.

I find a gym buddy is great especially someone thats pushy.  They'll get you to keep going even if you think you cant, get that extra rep out.

October 04, 2012, 10:32 AM #38

Faken Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Honda Fit
                            • Reputation Power: 141
                            • Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!
                            Originally posted by j.onathan
                            Thats the truth.  You also have to want to go.  I used to go to the gym becuase I wanted the bennefits, lose weight, gain muscle etc.  Now I go becuase I actually enjoy my time at the gym and achieving the goals is a bonus kinda.

I find a gym buddy is great especially someone thats pushy.  They'll get you to keep going even if you think you cant, get that extra rep out.

Best benefit to getting another person to go with you. That last rep is killer, but when you have another guy with you and you do it.. you feel pumped afterwards.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenau/
                            All photos that are taken by me can be used for whatever you want!

"I love Honda's because I started with Honda's" - Ryan Basseri

Ken

[Mar 26 13:45:26] Igor:hearts before parts

October 04, 2012, 10:38 AM #39

Over Sized Offline

• Vehicle: lifted 99 crv and lowered supercharged 98 crv
                              • Reputation Power: 2
                              • Over Sized has no influence.
                              After awhile I found it was easier to work out because I ended up addicted to the "pump" u work out the next day even harder just to get it again and afterwork you feel all swollen and pumped,love it!!

October 04, 2012, 10:41 AM #40

Faken Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Honda Fit
                                • Reputation Power: 141
                                • Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!
                                Originally posted by Over Sized
                                After awhile I found it was easier to work out because I ended up addicted to the "pump" u work out the next day even harder just to get it again and afterwork you feel all swollen and pumped,love it!!

yup. You get use to the soreness. It feels weird when I'm not a bit sore somewhere.
                                http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenau/
                                All photos that are taken by me can be used for whatever you want!

"I love Honda's because I started with Honda's" - Ryan Basseri

Ken

[Mar 26 13:45:26] Igor:hearts before parts

October 04, 2012, 11:26 AM #41

Murderjetz Offline

• Vehicle: I ain't got none
                                  • Reputation Power: 10
                                  • Murderjetz has no influence.
                                  Originally posted by SavageTaco
                                  2) Just make sure that you always have a plan going into the gym. What you're working that day, how many sets you're doing of each.....etc (Chest day, leg day...whatever your split is day). One thing I've observed that can cause people to stop going, are guys running around to all different types of machines, no plan, then 3 months down the road (if they make it that long) nothing really to show for it. All because they didn't plan out what they were doing or what their goal was.

I want to add a little to this. I agree that you need a plan, but it's a little bit different for someone who's just starting out.

If you've never lifted weights before, don't go in with a 5 day split hitting one particular muscle group for an hour and a half every time. This will kill you with soreness and you'll probably want to give up right away.  When your muscles aren't used to working hard, they get sore much more easily, and need a bit of time to get stronger and be less prone to soreness, so that you can then really push it hard and get that "hurts so good" soreness.

What I would recommend for a beginner is start with something like a 3 day split, doing only 2-3 sets for only 2 exercises per muscle group, with lighter weight. It's all you need to be hurting the next day for now, and it's very important to get your form down right early before you start going to the heavy weights. I see so many people who have no idea how to do a squat or a deadlift, and that can cause some serious damage down the road.
                                  A pretty good beginner's workout could be (although not necessarily) something like:

Monday - Back and biceps
                                  Tuesday - off
                                  Wednesday - Chest/shoulders and triceps
                                  Thursday - off
                                  Friday - Legs and core

And once you're not getting sore anymore, that's when you need to start going heavier AS LONG AS YOU HAVE PROPER FORM.  And start working out longer, more different exercises, adjusting your split, fewer days off, etc

Anyway, it seems like most of you replying here have had some experience in the gym but I figured there might be others who want to get started but aren't really sure how.

October 04, 2012, 12:18 PM #42

Dark_daku89 Offline

Great advice Murderjetz

For another good three day routine

Day 1

Chest/tris

Day 2
                                    Legs/shoulders

Day 3

Back/biceps/core

October 04, 2012, 02:29 PM #43

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
                                      • Reputation Power: 174
                                      • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                                      Wouldn't you do triceps on the same day as your biceps?? or is that working out too many muscles in the same group on the same day? :S
                                      (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 04, 2012, 02:33 PM #44

Dark_daku89 Offline

You definitely can, and that's how I do them. My reasoning is, that there is already blood flow going to the same area of the arm, might as well pump both sides while your at it haha. Also, you shouldn't be feeling any fatigue in your triceps if you are doing a bicep workout, and vice versa.

October 04, 2012, 06:16 PM #45

s-low Offline

• Vehicle: 14 F150, 10 Edge, 03 Accord, 09 V Star 950T
                                          • s-low has no influence.
                                          When I started going to the gym I had 4 workout buddies. That lasted for about a month, once everyone realized they actually had to commit and work at it they were bored. Ended up with 1 really reliable guy that comes with me every day we go, and we share similar goals and push similar weights since we've been at it together since the beginning so that's nice. We're pretty pushy on each other, also family/friends being supportive helps. Working out was easy for me because I had a good (personal) reason to start lifting weights, and it keeps me out of trouble so I'm happy.

Not to steer the conversation back to suppliments for the entire thread, but what is everyone's thoughts/opinions on pre-workout? I've been taking 3 scoops of The Curse pre-workout for a few weeks and haven't really noticed anything.

October 04, 2012, 07:10 PM #46

themikewoo Offline

Location: 2537 Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2H5
                                            • Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
                                            • Reputation Power: 198
                                            • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!
                                            For beginners there is great information in this thread.

I started working out at the University of Manitoba because everyday I have 3 hours between classes so I just wanted to kill time lol.

I have had a major transformation and I started doing the 5 day split.

Sorry I am at work but if anyone wants I can post the book and author so you can guys can take a look. It was very helpful because it encluded a lot of different exercises and explained how to perform them with pictures. Plus included routines.

I also am a heavy steroid user and have suffered the consecences in the land down under.

October 04, 2012, 07:10 PM #47

SavageTaco Offline

I use N.O xplode....I only use it because i'm so tired after work, it gives me enough energy to get to the gym and start in on my routine. I don't really expect it to do more then jolt me awake. The only supplements i use (beside a regiment of vitamins) is protein powder / weight gainer (muscle milk, Muscle juice...etc) + creatine (in winter)...seems to have worked.
                                              Self tuned on an AEM V2
                                              2000 Aristo V300 - Daily

October 04, 2012, 08:56 PM #48

Murderjetz Offline

• Vehicle: I ain't got none
                                                • Reputation Power: 10
                                                • Murderjetz has no influence.
                                                Originally posted by Dark_daku89
                                                You definitely can, and that's how I do them. My reasoning is, that there is already blood flow going to the same area of the arm, might as well pump both sides while your at it haha. Also, you shouldn't be feeling any fatigue in your triceps if you are doing a bicep workout, and vice versa.

That's a good point. Not to be contradictory but just to explain why you can also do them separately, I'll explain that side of it too :P

The reason a lot of people do triceps with chest is because your triceps are a major stabilizer muscle on a bench press. While your pectorals are doing most of the work, your triceps are helping out too. So at the end of the chest workout, you can then do triceps to fully tire them out while they're already warm.  Same goes with biceps on back day, a lot of back exercises also use a lot of bicep strength.

October 04, 2012, 09:10 PM #49

Dark_daku89 Offline

Originally posted by Murderjetz
                                                  That's a good point. Not to be contradictory but just to explain why you can also do them separately, I'll explain that side of it too :P

The reason a lot of people do triceps with chest is because your triceps are a major stabilizer muscle on a bench press. While your pectorals are doing most of the work, your triceps are helping out too. So at the end of the chest workout, you can then do triceps to fully tire them out while they're already warm.  Same goes with biceps on back day, a lot of back exercises also use a lot of bicep strength.

When I had a 3 day split, that's how I did things before. I hear a lot of people do Chest/Bi's and Back/Tri's which I don't know the reasoning for that.

Top Tier Imports

The Gym Thread
                                                    « Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 09:10 PM »