Author Topic: The Gym/Nutrition Thread  (Read 175058 times)

September 05, 2017, 07:01 PM #3900

benz88 Offline

  • Posts: 2,680
  • Join Date: Mar 2012
    Location: Area51
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
saw a couple guys get a talkin to at goodlife today for deadlifting heavy.
'91 240sx Hatch
'93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
'50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
'04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
'95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

    Top Tier Imports

    The Gym/Nutrition Thread
    « Reply #3900 on: September 05, 2017, 07:01 PM »

    September 05, 2017, 07:41 PM #3901

    Madbuzz41 Offline

    • Regular Member
    • Posts: 1,928
    • Join Date: Aug 2014
      Location: Winnipeg
    • Real Name: Kyle
    • Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
    • Reputation Power: 10
    • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
    Originally posted by benz88
    saw a couple guys get a talkin to at goodlife today for deadlifting heavy.

    Is goodlife the new planet fitness?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      September 05, 2017, 09:45 PM #3902

      benz88 Offline

      • Posts: 2,680
      • Join Date: Mar 2012
        Location: Area51
      • Reputation Power: 62
      • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
      Originally posted by Madbuzz41
      Is goodlife the new planet fitness?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Apparently. Ryan (manager) must have been having a bad day or something
      '91 240sx Hatch
      '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
      '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
      '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
      '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

        September 05, 2017, 10:36 PM #3903

        peg_pulsar Offline

        • Regular Member
        • Posts: 634
        • Join Date: Aug 2012
          Location: North East Winnipeg
        • Real Name: Ryan
        • Vehicle: Pulsar GTI-R, Colorado
        • Reputation Power: 11
        • peg_pulsar has no influence.
        Originally posted by benz88
        saw a couple guys get a talkin to at goodlife today for deadlifting heavy.

        Ya, me and my cousin. Ruined my squat day. He is prepping for Commonwealths and I was squatting in the rack behind him. Goodlife CEO hates people making progress, wants everyone to walk on the treadmills.
        Ryan was just doing his job, he was trying to be very nice about it. It's not his fault his boss is a prick.
        1992 Nissan Pulsar Gti-R
        1990 Toyota 4Runner (R.I.P)
        2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 SOLD
        2005 Chevrolet Colorado

        BW:145ish. PR's: S-419, B-270, D-510, Wilks-427

          September 05, 2017, 11:13 PM #3904

          benz88 Offline

          • Posts: 2,680
          • Join Date: Mar 2012
            Location: Area51
          • Reputation Power: 62
          • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
          Originally posted by peg_pulsar
          Ya, me and my cousin. Ruined my squat day. He is prepping for Commonwealths and I was squatting in the rack behind him. Goodlife CEO hates people making progress, wants everyone to walk on the treadmills.
          Ryan was just doing his job, he was trying to be very nice about it. It's not his fault his boss is a prick.
          What did he say? I know hes given me and a buddy crap before about chalk but we always clean up the mess and hes been good. You guys werent even being loud lol
          '91 240sx Hatch
          '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
          '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
          '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
          '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

            September 05, 2017, 11:20 PM #3905

            peg_pulsar Offline

            • Regular Member
            • Posts: 634
            • Join Date: Aug 2012
              Location: North East Winnipeg
            • Real Name: Ryan
            • Vehicle: Pulsar GTI-R, Colorado
            • Reputation Power: 11
            • peg_pulsar has no influence.
            Originally posted by benz88
            What did he say? I know hes given me and a buddy crap before about chalk but we always clean up the mess and hes been good. You guys werent even being loud lol
            Just too loud, and the bars are getting damaged from apparently getting dropped. What bugs me is that's not what wrecks bars. The bars goodlife uses are knockoff power bars, they can take a beating. It's when they get misused that wrecks them. Slamming them down on the rack doing heavy rack pulls damages them, a bar isn't supposed to take all of the weight on the middle of it like that, metal on metal. Or when people just stand and drop them from hip height.
            The idea I got mostly from it though is that goodlife is a commercial gym so all the babies on the ellipticals cry to management when they cant watch their soap opera in peace and quiet. 
            1992 Nissan Pulsar Gti-R
            1990 Toyota 4Runner (R.I.P)
            2007 Suzuki GSX-R600 SOLD
            2005 Chevrolet Colorado

            BW:145ish. PR's: S-419, B-270, D-510, Wilks-427

              September 06, 2017, 06:42 AM #3906

              benz88 Offline

              • Posts: 2,680
              • Join Date: Mar 2012
                Location: Area51
              • Reputation Power: 62
              • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
              Originally posted by peg_pulsar
              Just too loud, and the bars are getting damaged from apparently getting dropped. What bugs me is that's not what wrecks bars. The bars goodlife uses are knockoff power bars, they can take a beating. It's when they get misused that wrecks them. Slamming them down on the rack doing heavy rack pulls damages them, a bar isn't supposed to take all of the weight on the middle of it like that, metal on metal. Or when people just stand and drop them from hip height.
              The idea I got mostly from it though is that goodlife is a commercial gym so all the babies on the ellipticals cry to management when they cant watch their soap opera in peace and quiet. 

              funny thing is I dont think Ive seen a damaged bar there. Most of the other equipment is always down though. He should be more worried about that. 
              '91 240sx Hatch
              '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
              '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
              '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
              '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

                September 06, 2017, 09:56 AM #3907

                Riley Offline

                • Posts: 4,772
                • Join Date: May 2014
                • Real Name: Riley
                • Vehicle: '15 Fiesta ST
                • Reputation Power: 128
                • Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!Riley is awe-inspiring!
                Club packs of chicken breast were $1.60/lb yesterday at superstore. I'm pretty sure that was a mistake. Needless to say, I saved a lot of $$$ on chicken yesterday.
                #keepingitstock

                  September 06, 2017, 10:01 AM #3908

                  jrkoff Offline

                  • Regular Member
                  • Posts: 426
                  • Join Date: May 2013
                    Location: stony mountain
                  • Real Name: jon
                  • Reputation Power: 9
                  • jrkoff has no influence.
                  Originally posted by Riley
                  Club packs of chicken breast were $1.60/lb yesterday at superstore.

                  thats cheap, i would have bought as much as i possibly could

                    September 14, 2017, 10:05 PM #3909

                    benz88 Offline

                    • Posts: 2,680
                    • Join Date: Mar 2012
                      Location: Area51
                    • Reputation Power: 62
                    • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                    Managed to do Deadlifts on the main floor without getting talked to the other day lol. With that Said I need to figure out a good plan for work Sets, Im so use to doing heavy sets of 5-10reps in everything When I go to do deads I continue that and when I go to do a 2-3rep one I cash out and cant pull it. Im thinking of only doing triples or singles above 315 but add more sets and go up each one
                    '91 240sx Hatch
                    '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                    '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                    '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                    '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

                      September 15, 2017, 05:54 PM #3910

                      TheDarkness Offline

                      • Regular Member
                      • Posts: 217
                      • Join Date: Sep 2012
                        Location: Winnipeg
                      • Real Name: Tyler
                      • Vehicle: 1991 Escort 'GTR', 1992 Familia GTR, 2013 Focus ST
                      • Reputation Power: 8
                      • TheDarkness has no influence.
                      Originally posted by benz88
                      Managed to do Deadlifts on the main floor without getting talked to the other day lol. With that Said I need to figure out a good plan for work Sets, Im so use to doing heavy sets of 5-10reps in everything When I go to do deads I continue that and when I go to do a 2-3rep one I cash out and cant pull it. Im thinking of only doing triples or singles above 315 but add more sets and go up each one

                      How many reps are you doing on warm ups of 1 plate and 2 plates for etc?  If your goal is to move big weight for just a couple reps as working sets, don't bother with like 15 reps of warmups.  Just do like 6-8 reps on the lighter weights, just to get your rhythm going.  You wanna save all your jam for the heavier sets, not use it all up on the lighter sets.

                        September 15, 2017, 06:51 PM #3911

                        benz88 Offline

                        • Posts: 2,680
                        • Join Date: Mar 2012
                          Location: Area51
                        • Reputation Power: 62
                        • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                        Originally posted by TheDarkness
                        How many reps are you doing on warm ups of 1 plate and 2 plates for etc?  If your goal is to move big weight for just a couple reps as working sets, don't bother with like 15 reps of warmups.  Just do like 6-8 reps on the lighter weights, just to get your rhythm going.  You wanna save all your jam for the heavier sets, not use it all up on the lighter sets.

                        Usually I do 135x10, 225x10, 315x10, and 405x6-8 x2.  Then I try and do 455 and im wiped lol
                        Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:55 PM by benz88
                        '91 240sx Hatch
                        '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                        '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                        '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                        '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

                          September 15, 2017, 08:02 PM #3912

                          TheDarkness Offline

                          • Regular Member
                          • Posts: 217
                          • Join Date: Sep 2012
                            Location: Winnipeg
                          • Real Name: Tyler
                          • Vehicle: 1991 Escort 'GTR', 1992 Familia GTR, 2013 Focus ST
                          • Reputation Power: 8
                          • TheDarkness has no influence.
                          Originally posted by benz88
                          Usually I do 135x10, 225x10, 315x10, and 405x6-8 x2.  Then I try and do 455 and im wiped lol


                          That 405 for 6-8 is definitely trashing you.  If you can do 405 for 8, your one rep max should be closing in on 500

                          Try doing something like: 135 for 10, 225 for 8, 315 for 5, then 405 for 3, 425 for 3, 455 for 3, and keep adding the 20 lbs until you can't get the 3 reps.

                            September 15, 2017, 08:26 PM #3913

                            benz88 Offline

                            • Posts: 2,680
                            • Join Date: Mar 2012
                              Location: Area51
                            • Reputation Power: 62
                            • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                            Originally posted by TheDarkness
                            That 405 for 6-8 is definitely trashing you.  If you can do 405 for 8, your one rep max should be closing in on 500

                            Try doing something like: 135 for 10, 225 for 8, 315 for 5, then 405 for 3, 425 for 3, 455 for 3, and keep adding the 20 lbs until you can't get the 3 reps.

                            Will do Thanks! Last winter I was so close I managed 485x1 but tried 500 and couldnt budge it lol Probably mental game too
                            '91 240sx Hatch
                            '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                            '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                            '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                            '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

                              September 15, 2017, 09:19 PM #3914

                              Madbuzz41 Offline

                              • Regular Member
                              • Posts: 1,928
                              • Join Date: Aug 2014
                                Location: Winnipeg
                              • Real Name: Kyle
                              • Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                              • Reputation Power: 10
                              • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                              I don't do anymore than 6. Unless it's only 135. Then maybe 8 lol. But otherwise 225 x 6. If I do 275 then 6. Otherwise 315 x 4 probably. Then 365 x 4. 415 x 1-2. And then singles up. That's what I used to do.
                              Can't lift heavy now cause my car accident:( RIP gains.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                                Top Tier Imports

                                The Gym/Nutrition Thread
                                « Reply #3914 on: September 15, 2017, 09:19 PM »