Author Topic: The Gym/Nutrition Thread  (Read 178702 times)

October 04, 2012, 09:21 PM #50

Murderjetz Offline

• Vehicle: I ain't got none
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Murderjetz has no influence.
Originally posted by Dark_daku89
I hear a lot of people do Chest/Bi's and Back/Tri's which I don't know the reasoning for that.

Huh... lol I'm kind of stumped on that one.
I wonder if maybe they're trying to hit the muscles without them getting tired with the other exercises first, so that they can push them that much harder. Like when I do biceps after back, my biceps are already pretty tired by then so I can't lift as heavy of a weight as if I would have done biceps first with them being fresh and rested. That's an interesting thought. I actually might give that a try and see how it feels.

Top Tier Imports

The Gym Thread
    « Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21 PM »

October 05, 2012, 12:20 AM #51

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 174
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    Seriously monitoring this thread.. I honestly have no idea what kind of exercises to do work out my back, and for my legs I've always just done the leg press :\

For triceps I've always put one knee on a bench, other foot flat on floor, fist facing the floor and pulled the weight straight up, is this right?? I know you can stand and hold the weight by your side and lift it backwards, also right?
    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 05, 2012, 12:49 AM #52

Faken Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Honda Fit
      • Reputation Power: 141
      • Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!
      Originally posted by Decrypter
      Seriously monitoring this thread.. I honestly have no idea what kind of exercises to do work out my back, and for my legs I've always just done the leg press :\

For triceps I've always put one knee on a bench, other foot flat on floor, fist facing the floor and pulled the weight straight up, is this right?? I know you can stand and hold the weight by your side and lift it backwards, also right?

For legs, Deadlifts, squats, lunges, calf raises, leg press, leg extension. :).
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenau/
      All photos that are taken by me can be used for whatever you want!

"I love Honda's because I started with Honda's" - Ryan Basseri

Ken

[Mar 26 13:45:26] Igor:hearts before parts

October 05, 2012, 01:10 AM #53

Vince Offline

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by Faken
        For legs, Deadlifts, squats, lunges, calf raises, leg press, leg extension. :).
        I'm guessing that doing just one of those wouldn't do the trick xD

I totally forgot that the home gym thing that's sitting in my basement has a leg extension part to it..To my eternal shame I haven't used it in a awhile...

As for lunges, I don't have a set of free weights, and you can't bring the weights onto the track at the gym I go to..

October 05, 2012, 02:19 AM #54

arynnoelle

Chris-- I can't afford a gym membership right now [obviously] so I'm stuck working out at home. I'm perfectly fine with that, mind you, but I need some help. I didn't feel like going through every single link you posted but are there any based on not just strictly bulking up? I mean I want to lose about 15-20 pounds and tone up but I don't want to become extremely ripped or body builder-esque haha. And currently the only things I have to work with are outside/treadmill for jogging/running and a resistance band. [and MAYBE a couple light weights if my mom still has them] Do you know of any routines where I could use just those two [and healthy eating, of course] and attain my goals? And how many days/week should I go? My plan is cardio at least 5-6 times/week depending how busy I am, but I'm at a loss in every other area. Thanks!

October 05, 2012, 06:47 AM #55

Dark_daku89 Offline

• Vehicle: 2003 Subaru WRX Spec R1 #68 / 2001 Lexus LS430UL
            • Reputation Power: 11
            • Dark_daku89 has no influence.
            Originally posted by arynnoelle
            Chris-- I can't afford a gym membership right now [obviously] so I'm stuck working out at home. I'm perfectly fine with that, mind you, but I need some help. I didn't feel like going through every single link you posted but are there any based on not just strictly bulking up? I mean I want to lose about 15-20 pounds and tone up but I don't want to become extremely ripped or body builder-esque haha. And currently the only things I have to work with are outside/treadmill for jogging/running and a resistance band. [and MAYBE a couple light weights if my mom still has them] Do you know of any routines where I could use just those two [and healthy eating, of course] and attain my goals? And how many days/week should I go? My plan is cardio at least 5-6 times/week depending how busy I am, but I'm at a loss in every other area. Thanks!

Aryn

Check this out, you can do a lot of exercises with resistance bands, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw10.htm 

That is a huge misconception about women and working out, working out will not make you bulky and huge like guys. That is unless if you're doing  steroids/ testostrone, you will not become huge. Instead, what will happen is that your muscle tone will increase, and overall bodyfat will drop, which is what most women want when they workout.

What you should do is pick 3 different exercises a day (make sure they are different, example would be Chest/Shoulders/Tri's = Day1, Back/Biceps = Day2, Legs= Day 3)

Do the exercises every Monday, Wednesday, Friday, start with 3 sets of 10 reps, after 2 solid weeks of working out (or if its too easy) go to 4 sets of 10 reps, (if thats still too easy) do 4 sets of 15 reps.

For Cardio, do 15 mins of inclined walking before your workout, and then 30 mins of interval training after your workout. What HIIT or high intensity interval training is that you pick 2 speeds on your treadmill, A very quick speed and a resting speed (light walk). You essentially alternate between these 2 speeds in bursts.

Example, 5 min walking warmup, 1 min short burst run, 2 min walking, 1 min short burst run, 2 min walking etc until you've finished 30 mins of that.

Chiropractor at Osborne Chiropractic Office

October 05, 2012, 07:30 AM #56

Over Sized Offline

• Vehicle: lifted 99 crv and lowered supercharged 98 crv
              • Reputation Power: 2
              • Over Sized has no influence.
              ^agreed.. Hiit training will do the trick. I lost a lot of weight using that method..a lot of people think that if you use weights to work out or bands that you will get bulky or ripped.It all depends on what you are going for,size keep the reps low weight high if its toning keep the reps high and the weight low..ie.. Do 4/5 sets of 6/10 reps heavy  or 3/4 sets of 12-15 reps non heavy.
              I am currently using a 4x method..I do 6 exercises per body part, you choose a weight that you can do 15 reps with but only do 10,rest 15 seconds and do it again, another 10.repeat until you have done 4 sets of 10 for each body part, the minimal rest between your sets will fatigue you but it is well worth it when you feel the way you do afterwards.

October 05, 2012, 10:36 AM #57

Murderjetz Offline

Originally posted by Decrypter
                Seriously monitoring this thread.. I honestly have no idea what kind of exercises to do work out my back, and for my legs I've always just done the leg press :

What you explained here sounds like a bent-over row, which works your lats (mid-back). A slight change would turn it into a tricep exercise, though. Hold the weight up so that your arm makes a 90 degree angle, with your bicep parallel to your torso and forearm perpendicular to your torso, and then straight your arm out, bringing the weight behind you. However, I'm personally not a fan of these lol I think skull crushers and tricep press downs (on cables) feel much more effective.

As for your back, there's a lot of different things you can do. For upper back, I like to do back flies. You can do them with dumbbells either standing up and bending over (which adds challenge to your core!) or on a bench, positioned with your chest against the bench, or you can sometimes do them on a chest fly machine but just sit on it backwards.  This doesn't always work though, depending on the design of the machine.  You can also do a machine or cable row using a wide grip bar, keeping your elbows high to be approximately in line with your shoulders.
                If you do a machine row with the standard narrow grip and your elbows down by your sides, this will work your lats. These can also be done as you described earlier, with a dumbbell and a bench. You should also do lat pull downs and pull ups, with a wide overhand grip. A chin up with a narrow underhand grip will work mostly your biceps, which you can do if that's what you want, but a lot of people do them thinking it's for their back. Pull ups with the overhand grip are a lot harder, but a hard exercise means it works better! And there's no shame in using the assisted pull up machine if you need, I use them all the time. Full body weight pull ups tire me out too fast to get a satisfying number of sets in.
                And finally for your lower back, the best is deadlifts, but be sure to check videos on how to do them or get someone to teach you, it's very important to keep your spine straight on them. You can also do spine extensions, which is done on this apparatus that holds you horizontally by the feet.

I could try to explain in better detail how to do these but I feel like this post is already long as it is!

October 05, 2012, 10:52 AM #58

Faken Offline

• Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!Faken is awe-inspiring!
                  Originally posted by Murderjetz
                  What you explained here sounds like a bent-over row, which works your lats (mid-back). A slight change would turn it into a tricep exercise, though. Hold the weight up so that your arm makes a 90 degree angle, with your bicep parallel to your torso and forearm perpendicular to your torso, and then straight your arm out, bringing the weight behind you. However, I'm personally not a fan of these lol I think skull crushers and tricep press downs (on cables) feel much more effective.

As for your back, there's a lot of different things you can do. For upper back, I like to do back flies. You can do them with dumbbells either standing up and bending over (which adds challenge to your core!) or on a bench, positioned with your chest against the bench, or you can sometimes do them on a chest fly machine but just sit on it backwards.  This doesn't always work though, depending on the design of the machine.  You can also do a machine or cable row using a wide grip bar, keeping your elbows high to be approximately in line with your shoulders.
                  If you do a machine row with the standard narrow grip and your elbows down by your sides, this will work your lats. These can also be done as you described earlier, with a dumbbell and a bench. You should also do lat pull downs and pull ups, with a wide overhand grip. A chin up with a narrow underhand grip will work mostly your biceps, which you can do if that's what you want, but a lot of people do them thinking it's for their back. Pull ups with the overhand grip are a lot harder, but a hard exercise means it works better! And there's no shame in using the assisted pull up machine if you need, I use them all the time. Full body weight pull ups tire me out too fast to get a satisfying number of sets in.
                  And finally for your lower back, the best is deadlifts, but be sure to check videos on how to do them or get someone to teach you, it's very important to keep your spine straight on them. You can also do spine extensions, which is done on this apparatus that holds you horizontally by the feet.

I could try to explain in better detail how to do these but I feel like this post is already long as it is!
                  Posted in the motivation thread.
                  2:15 - skull crushers!

Ken

October 05, 2012, 10:55 AM #59

Vince Offline

Now I'm glad I asked! My buddy told me that that worked your triceps..Woops. As for the tricep press down and lat pull..I can do that on my home gym in my basement (woot)

I'll definitely have to throw the chest fly machine into my routine (when I finally go back).

As for the pull ups, I'll have to try doing those too..

All this is like O_O...A lot to think about/remember.. This is why I need a gym buddy who's knowledgeable xD

October 05, 2012, 12:35 PM #60

Murderjetz Offline

Chris' advice was awesome but your request for at-home workouts made me think of this:

I've done this one a couple of times and while it might look kind of easy, it is absolutely killer. You might need to pace yourself to make it through the whole thing.
                      The only thing I want to clear up from the video is that he says the workout will cut fat from particular areas, but the truth is there is no such thing as that. When you burn far, it generally just sort of burns off equally across your whole body. However, toning up certain muscles will give the appearance of "losing fat" in those areas just because the muscle will sort of tighten up the skin a little bit.

And as Chris said - girls, don't be scared to go hard on weights. I think it has something to do with having less testosterone that keeps your body from developing large amounts of muscle, so all you'll be doing is toning up. Also keep in mind that while lifting weights tones your muscles, it also burns fat at the same time! Generally not as much as cardio but it still does. Trying to cut body fat is mostly about diet, a lot about cardio, but resistance/weight training will still help it along that much more.

October 05, 2012, 12:45 PM #61

Faken Offline

Chris' advice was awesome but your request for at-home workouts made me think of this:

I've done this one a couple of times and while it might look kind of easy, it is absolutely killer. You might need to pace yourself to make it through the whole thing.
                        The only thing I want to clear up from the video is that he says the workout will cut fat from particular areas, but the truth is there is no such thing as that. When you burn far, it generally just sort of burns off equally across your whole body. However, toning up certain muscles will give the appearance of "losing fat" in those areas just because the muscle will sort of tighten up the skin a little bit.

And as Chris said - girls, don't be scared to go hard on weights. I think it has something to do with having less testosterone that keeps your body from developing large amounts of muscle, so all you'll be doing is toning up. Also keep in mind that while lifting weights tones your muscles, it also burns fat at the same time! Generally not as much as cardio but it still does. Trying to cut body fat is mostly about diet, a lot about cardio, but resistance/weight training will still help it along that much more.

M-100 is what I did when I worked out at home.. IT'S THE MOST KILLER THING I've done ever. I almost died first time I tried..

Ken

October 05, 2012, 02:25 PM #62

Murderjetz Offline

Originally posted by Faken
                          M-100 is what I did when I worked out at home.. IT'S THE MOST KILLER THING I've done ever. I almost died first time I tried..

lol that does look pretty intense. Nice find.

October 05, 2012, 03:08 PM #63

arynnoelle

Well I know I won't get extremely ripped but I've seen some girls that ARE, even not using steroids haha.
                            I've done HIIT training before. I'll start that again. I wanna lose weight as fast as healthily possible haha. Thanks everyone for all the advice--needed it! & Eric--I'll check out that video some time this weekend and see how much it kills me :P

October 05, 2012, 03:38 PM #64

Vince Offline

Well I know I won't get extremely ripped but I've seen some girls that ARE, even not using steroids haha.
                              I've done HIIT training before. I'll start that again. I wanna lose weight as fast as healthily possible haha. Thanks everyone for all the advice--needed it! & Eric--I'll check out that video some time this weekend and see how much it kills me :P

October 05, 2012, 03:43 PM #65

firelizard Offline

• Vehicle: UZS161
                                • Reputation Power: 108
                                • firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.firelizard has an aura about them.
                                That's a good look.

October 05, 2012, 10:01 PM #66

Flemith

Well, I got a membership at the U of M.

October 05, 2012, 10:13 PM #67

Murderjetz Offline

Originally posted by Flemith
                                    Well, I got a membership at the U of M.

Right on! Maybe I'll see you there. Although I'm not sure what you look like lol

October 05, 2012, 11:46 PM #68

Flemith

I still don't know what I'm doing with weights and I get intimidated by the machines, so I'll probably stick to a lot of cardio.

October 06, 2012, 07:42 AM #69

Murderjetz Offline

I still don't know what I'm doing with weights and I get intimidated by the machines, so I'll probably stick to a lot of cardio.

The machines are pretty easy to figure out. For the most part, there's only one way to do them, and they have instructions on them if you need it.  Also, because they restrict your movement to the particular exercise, it's pretty much impossible to get hurt them. However, because they restrict your movement and require very little stabilization on your part, they're not as effective as free weights. But doing machines is still better than doing nothing.

Not sure how familiar you are with the U of M gym but they always have a fitness attendant on staff sitting at a desk. Basically they're just there for people to ask questions about working out, so they can show you how to do everything if you ask. They're all students or graduates of the faculty of kinesiology so they know what they're talking about.

October 06, 2012, 10:11 AM #70

Flemith

The machines are pretty easy to figure out. For the most part, there's only one way to do them, and they have instructions on them if you need it.  Also, because they restrict your movement to the particular exercise, it's pretty much impossible to get hurt them. However, because they restrict your movement and require very little stabilization on your part, they're not as effective as free weights. But doing machines is still better than doing nothing.

Not sure how familiar you are with the U of M gym but they always have a fitness attendant on staff sitting at a desk. Basically they're just there for people to ask questions about working out, so they can show you how to do everything if you ask. They're all students or graduates of the faculty of kinesiology so they know what they're talking about.
                                          I'm assuming I parked beside your white RSX this morning, with the TTI sticker on the sideskirt/rocker molding?

October 06, 2012, 10:15 AM #71

Murderjetz Offline

lol yup! I'm there right now. I'm the guy in a pale yellow t-shirt, grey shorts and white shoes if you wanna find me. I'm almost done but I could still show you some stuff if you want.

October 06, 2012, 10:36 AM #72

Flemith

I went for about an hour and a half. Spent 20 minutes on the treadmill, played around with some machines.
                                              I was the clueless looking one in yellow shorts and a basketball jersey.

October 06, 2012, 10:41 AM #73

Murderjetz Offline

I went for about an hour and a half. Spent 20 minutes on the treadmill, played around with some machines.
                                                I was the clueless looking one in yellow shorts and a basketball jersey.

Hm, I don't remember having seen you. But at least you have things a try!

October 06, 2012, 10:41 AM #74

Flemith

Yup, I'll be back tomorrow, too.

Top Tier Imports

The Gym Thread
                                                    « Reply #74 on: October 06, 2012, 10:41 AM »