Author Topic: DIY: 2001-2003 Honda Civic/Acura 1.7 EL:Remove & Replace Radio Bezel  (Read 11582 times)

October 11, 2012, 08:31 PM #0

Sesay

In this thread I will be showing you how to remove & replace the radio bezel surround in your 2001-2003 Civic/EL. This thread can also be used as the first steps to removing/installing your radio as well as any of the climate control & hazard components.

Notes: This DIY applies only to the EM2, ES1 & ES3 Honda/Acura coupes & sedans. I don't know whether the EP3 3 door hatchback will be similar.

REMEMBER TO KEEP TRACK OF ALL SCREWS & ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS AND WHERE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO PLUG INTO.

Tools needed:
1/4" ratchet & long extension
8 mm socket
Phillips screw driver
Interior pry tool (I used my licence and a plastic ruler)

My current wood grain bezel next to the aftermarket bezel.

Your first step will be to remove the power outlet panel just above the cup holders. To do so you'll need to pry around the panel gently to release the pressure clips. You may need to pry the center console gently to the side to release the power outlet panel.

Now that the panel is off you'll need to unplug the power outlet, all you'll have to do is pinch down on the tab and pull.

Once that's off set the panel aside, you'll have to look inside that cavity on a slightly upward angle you will find two 8mm screws holding the bottom of the radio bracket to the dash panel. Unscrew those. As you can see mine are somehow missing, so I skipped this step.

Next you will be prying the bezel from the dashboard, this is where the pry tool comes handy. I used my drivers licence to create enough of a lip to slide the plastic ruler underneath, then I slid the ruler completely around the bezel till all the pressure clips came loose. Tug gently on the bezel and it should come right off.

All of the connections on the back of the bezel will come off by simply pushing down the tabs and tugging gently on the plug ends. Here is how it all looks with all the connections unplugged.

Then you can start pulling off the climate control knobs, flip the bezel back over and unscrew the 5 screws surrounding the side and lower climate controls.

Now you can work on removing the 4 screws surrounding the radio bracket.

Once the bracket is off there will be 4 pressure tabs surrounding the inner black trim around the top of the radio and bottom of the utility tray. Go ahead and push down on those and slide the bezel & radio + utility tray apart.

Next you can remove the climate control selection rings, these will just slide out with an easy push from the backside

Then to remove the hazard button you'll have to unscrew the 4 screws behind the upper vent section of the bezel, there will be one below and above the hazard button and two on the sides of the vents.

Now you will have enough room to squeeze the two pressure tabs on the hazard button, squeeze those and push the button through.

Re-assembly is simple, just follow all the steps backwards, except install the hazard button and climate control assemblies first before the radio to make things easier. then go ahead and plug everything back in, push the bezel assembly back into the dash and then plug the power outlet back in then push that panel back in.

Your finished product should look something like this:

Sorry for the sideways pictures.

This is the video I used to guide me through it.

Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:00 AM by Ænimal

Top Tier Imports

October 12, 2012, 11:21 AM #1

Vince Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
    • Reputation Power: 174
    • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
    You have very manly hands.
    (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

October 14, 2012, 08:03 PM #2

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
      • Reputation Power: 67
      • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
      Nice stuff.
      Why does it look like there coca-cola/pepsi behind your OEM bezel? LOL

October 15, 2012, 12:46 AM #3

Sesay

Originally posted by JayPe3
        Nice stuff.
        Why does it look like there coca-cola/pepsi behind your OEM bezel? LOL

I honestly have no idea, my guess is it was the idiot(s) who did the sound system install for the previous owner. I've found lots of quirky things like this and missing screws, panels that were glued because of broken tabs etc.

-_____-"

October 21, 2012, 07:38 PM #4

darreeent Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Honda Civic
          • Reputation Power: 2
          • darreeent has no influence.
          I was just wondering, where did you pick up that bezel from?  I want one. haha  :lol:

October 21, 2012, 10:05 PM #5

Sesay

Originally posted by darreeent
            I was just wondering, where did you pick up that bezel from?  I want one. haha  :lol:

Some older foreign dude was selling it on kijiji, it seemed as if he was parting out a write off or a parts car as he had many misc. parts from an 01 coupe.

Top Tier Imports

2001-2003 Honda Civic/Acura 1.7 EL:Remove & Replace Radio Bezel
              « Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:05 PM »