Author Topic: Trucks/ Tow rigs / 4x4 Thread  (Read 67213 times)

August 29, 2017, 10:42 AM #1550

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
Originally posted by IanB
Gear ratio is unchanged in 4x4 unless you put it in low range, but you are spinning more driveline components so that may well suck up some additional power, you'll only really feel it if you don't have a lot of power to start with.  On a V8 truck you'll barely notice for example.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking .

I only drove my dads Ram before and in 4x4 you don't even notice a difference . Yet my truck you can feel it's in 4x4 so I just wanted to make sure everything was okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Tier Imports

Trucks/ Tow rigs / 4x4 Thread
    « Reply #1550 on: August 29, 2017, 10:42 AM »

August 29, 2017, 11:10 AM #1551

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
    • Reputation Power: 43
    • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
    Originally posted by Madbuzz41
    Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking .

I only drove my dads Ram before and in 4x4 you don't even notice a difference . Yet my truck you can feel it's in 4x4 so I just wanted to make sure everything was okay.

You just need a 5.0L swap, lol.
    '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
    '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
    '04 Lexus GX470

August 29, 2017, 03:26 PM #1552

#StreetFocus Offline

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
      • Reputation Power: 85
      • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
      Yeah it's slower to get going.

A 5.0 would be nice, but the easy ones to swap really don't have a ton more power than our 4.0's. But they have a lot more potential gains. If my 4.0 ever goes I'll likely do a 5.0

August 29, 2017, 03:32 PM #1553

Madbuzz41 Offline

I feel like for all the work it would be easier to do a supercharger kit

August 30, 2017, 12:17 PM #1554

#StreetFocus Offline

• #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
          I feel like for all the work it would be easier to do a supercharger kit

Easier yeah. Don't gain a ton with a supercharger though, internals of these can only handle so much. I think the best I've seen was something like 280 whp.

5.0 swap you have a ton of potential, could push 450+ if you really wanted.

September 03, 2017, 07:31 PM #1555

Madbuzz41 Offline

I'm thinking about bed lining the bottom half my truck , the dark grey part. Still dark grey. But just bed liner. Thoughts?

September 03, 2017, 08:30 PM #1556

#StreetFocus Offline

go for it.

September 05, 2017, 08:40 AM #1557

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                • Reputation Power: 205
                • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                I'm thinking about bed lining the bottom half my truck , the dark grey part. Still dark grey. But just bed liner. Thoughts?

I did black on the bottom half, but it was on a black truck. Looked good.
                I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 05, 2017, 02:45 PM #1558

#StreetFocus Offline

Spotted. Really digging the wheel/tire setup on this thing. Looks fantastic in person.

September 05, 2017, 07:10 PM #1559

benz88 Offline

• Reputation Power: 65
                    • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                    Originally posted by #StreetFocus
                    Spotted. Really digging the wheel/tire setup on this thing. Looks fantastic in person.
                    haha thanks! What were you in?
                    '91 240sx Hatch
                    '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
                    '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
                    '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
                    '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

September 05, 2017, 07:14 PM #1560

#StreetFocus Offline

Originally posted by benz88
                      haha thanks! What were you in?
                      5 ton truck haha. I work for my dad now, he was in picking something up for a customer of ours so I snapped a picture like a sneaky ninja.

September 05, 2017, 07:35 PM #1561

benz88 Offline

• benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                        5 ton truck haha. I work for my dad now, he was in picking something up for a customer of ours so I snapped a picture like a sneaky ninja.
                        boisvert?
                        '91 240sx Hatch

September 05, 2017, 07:35 PM #1562

#StreetFocus Offline

boisvert?
                          Yes sir.

September 07, 2017, 07:40 PM #1563

benz88 Offline

Trying to decide on new wheels in a 20x10 and chrome for next year. these are starting to bubble and pit
                            '91 240sx Hatch

September 14, 2017, 01:41 PM #1564

Madbuzz41 Offline

I want to see what everyone's take on this is. Everyone listen up. Haha.

So for those that don't know (even though it'll probably the regulars who answer this) I have a 2007 FX4 Level ii. T bar crank and AAL.

So with the Torsten bar crank. My bumper is actually within an inch higher , than my dads Ram 1500 with a 2.5 inch levelling kit. He was shocked that my bumper was higher. He has the chrome bumper not the plastic sport one that hangs even lower. (We measured bottom of bumper. Mine has nothing under it. His does have a plastic piece that hangs lower but for argument sake we measured bumper to bumper)

So IF both trucks are equipped with the same tires. Which one do you think goes threw more snow? The lighter one that could hover over the snow or the full size that has the weight and traction advantage? How much of an advantage does a full size have? NOT INCLUDING TIRES.

Some people say the small truck could have the advantage others say the full size.

Thoughts? K GO.

September 14, 2017, 03:03 PM #1565

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                                • Reputation Power: 43
                                • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                                Tough to answer, too many variables.  Tires are a huge variable, say both trucks have the same brand/model tire, the size (tread width and sidewall height), and tire pressure will come into play as well.  What kind of snow?  Light and fluffy, or heavy/sticky?  Front bumpers aren't the lowest part of either truck I bet, axle clearance is the bottleneck in most cases.

With my point that this is a stupid question being made I feel, my money is on the Ram as it's heavier, has more power, and likely better axle clearance. 

And my Land Cruiser will go through more snow than either of them.  :trollface:
                                '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                                '99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
                                '04 Lexus GX470

September 14, 2017, 06:03 PM #1566

#StreetFocus Offline

Depends on type of snow. If snow is packed hard enough for the lighter ranger to not fall all the way through, it will be better.

If it's not, the heavier more powerful ram will be better.

The issue with the ranger is the front end likes to get hung up, the skid plate will float the front end up, and then front tires have no traction at all.

Unless it's super fluffy snow, then it really doesn't matter, both will go through a **** ton.

I've gone through fluffy snow that was as high as my hood, and I've been stopped by snow that barely reached the bottom of the bumper.

Just gotta read the scenario, and don't get too ambitious if your on your own without someone to pull you out lol.

September 15, 2017, 08:36 AM #1567

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                    Bought some new to me wheels and tires.
                                    18x9 +12 with 265/70/18 BFG K02's

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

September 16, 2017, 07:06 AM #1568

Madbuzz41 Offline

Originally posted by IanB
                                      Tough to answer, too many variables.  Tires are a huge variable, say both trucks have the same brand/model tire, the size (tread width and sidewall height), and tire pressure will come into play as well.  What kind of snow?  Light and fluffy, or heavy/sticky?  Front bumpers aren't the lowest part of either truck I bet, axle clearance is the bottleneck in most cases.

With my point that this is a stupid question being made I feel, my money is on the Ram as it's heavier, has more power, and likely better axle clearance. 

And my Land Cruiser will go through more snow than either of them.  :trollface:

It wasn't supposed to be a NASA answered question just a general sense of what people think is better , a midsize vs full size. Or in the situation I created , a compact vs full size.
                                      It was just something to get people talking lol.

PS the ram doesn't have better axle clearance.
                                      And I don't think your land cruiser would go threw anymore snow than either of them probably just the same.

Both are equipped with good tires too.

Depends on type of snow. If snow is packed hard enough for the lighter ranger to not fall all the way through, it will be better.

If it's not, the heavier more powerful ram will be better.

The issue with the ranger is the front end likes to get hung up, the skid plate will float the front end up, and then front tires have no traction at all.

Unless it's super fluffy snow, then it really doesn't matter, both will go through a **** ton.

I've gone through fluffy snow that was as high as my hood, and I've been stopped by snow that barely reached the bottom of the bumper.

Just gotta read the scenario, and don't get too ambitious if your on your own without someone to pull you out lol.

That was a good answer haha. I can't believe you pushed snow up to your hood.

Originally posted by jordisonjr
                                      Bought some new to me wheels and tires.
                                      18x9 +12 with 265/70/18 BFG K02's

Nice!!! I hope you like those tires.
                                      I have the BFG KO on my truck and next year I'll be going to the KM2 but I think the KM3 is coming out soon but either way one of those.

September 16, 2017, 10:27 AM #1569

benz88 Offline

Axle Clearance also depends on tire size. And im Pretty sure Land Cruisers came with Locking front and rear Diffs unlike the Ranger and Ram (Rears only if optioned)
                                        '91 240sx Hatch

September 16, 2017, 05:30 PM #1570

Madbuzz41 Offline

Axle Clearance also depends on tire size. And im Pretty sure Land Cruisers came with Locking front and rear Diffs unlike the Ranger and Ram (Rears only if optioned)

Yes that is true.

I didn't know the land rovers had front and rear lockers.

September 16, 2017, 08:14 PM #1571

#StreetFocus Offline

yeah lockers are huge. though the torsen rear is pretty great. I might do front locker when I re-gear my truck. we'll see.

couple pics from today

September 18, 2017, 04:34 AM #1572

Madbuzz41 Offline

What are you gearing to? 4.56 or 4.88?

September 18, 2017, 07:17 AM #1573

#StreetFocus Offline

What are you gearing to? 4.56 or 4.88?

4.56 Puts me back to stock basically.

September 18, 2017, 08:37 AM #1574

jordisonjr Offline

Saturday I Got my wheels and tires on, naturally, had to test em out and it was a perfect day for it.
                                                  They work:
                                                  I was impressed with how much bite they had even with a decent amount of sticky clay/mud on them.

Top Tier Imports

Trucks/ Tow rigs / 4x4 Thread
                                                    « Reply #1574 on: September 18, 2017, 08:37 AM »