Author Topic: Trucks/ Tow rigs / 4x4 Thread  (Read 64835 times)

September 18, 2017, 10:06 AM #1575

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
Originally posted by Madbuzz41
Yes that is true.

I didn't know the land rovers had front and rear lockers.

They say "Drive a Land Rover if you want to be able to go anywhere.  Drive a Land Cruiser if you want to be able to get back home again."  One is British and known for breaking down (despite being pretty cool trucks), the other is Japanese and known for being one of the most reliable, rugged vehicles on the road.

My Land Cruiser has the front and rear lockers which were an option (~7% of 80 Series came equipped), 3" lift, and 33" Duratracs, it does pretty good in the snow.
'93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
'99 MB E55t AMG - DD - FOR SALE!
'04 Lexus GX470

Top Tier Imports

Trucks/ Tow rigs / 4x4 Thread
    « Reply #1575 on: September 18, 2017, 10:06 AM »

September 18, 2017, 11:36 AM #1576

#StreetFocus Online

• Vehicle: 1974 Ford Maverick
    • Reputation Power: 84
    • #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
    Originally posted by jordisonjr
    Saturday I Got my wheels and tires on, naturally, had to test em out and it was a perfect day for it.
    They work:
    I was impressed with how much bite they had even with a decent amount of sticky clay/mud on them.
    But it's not even muddy

September 18, 2017, 11:37 AM #1577

#StreetFocus Online

• #StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.#StreetFocus is a force to reckon with.
      Originally posted by IanB
      They say "Drive a Land Rover if you want to be able to go anywhere.  Drive a Land Cruiser if you want to be able to get back home again."  One is British and known for breaking down (despite being pretty cool trucks), the other is Japanese and known for being one of the most reliable, rugged vehicles on the road.

My Land Cruiser has the front and rear lockers which were an option (~7% of 80 Series came equipped), 3" lift, and 33" Duratracs, it does pretty good in the snow.
      I'm interested to see how much better the 35's are in the snow vs my 33's. I might not even swap to my duratracs since I'm not commuting anymore.

September 18, 2017, 11:55 AM #1578

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
        • Reputation Power: 205
        • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
        Originally posted by #StreetFocus
        But it's not even muddy
        Yea the wheels don't have that low of an offset so its fairly contained within the fenders. There was basically only room to drive straight down the raod too, if you look at the full size, the fenders are pretty caked.
        I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

September 18, 2017, 12:29 PM #1579

#StreetFocus Online

Fair enough haha.

That's another reason I love the small trucks, single lane roads you can still fishtail the whole way down em and have a blast

September 18, 2017, 08:08 PM #1580

benz88 Offline

• Reputation Power: 65
            • benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
            Saturday I Got my wheels and tires on, naturally, had to test em out and it was a perfect day for it.
            They work:
            I was impressed with how much bite they had even with a decent amount of sticky clay/mud on them.

you need to lift that front abit and level it
            '91 240sx Hatch
            '93 Lincoln Towncar Lowrider
            '50 Pontiac Fleetleader 2dr
            '04 Chevy Silverado Crew 5.3
            '95 Silverado Diesel(RIP Nov 18th)

September 19, 2017, 08:27 AM #1581

jordisonjr Offline

• jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
              Originally posted by benz88
              you need to lift that front abit and level it

I do haha. We crank the t-bars a bit, but didn't wanna go to much. It does appear to be a little more level in person, front is only about an inch lower, but a Level kit would be next on this list.

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

September 19, 2017, 09:35 AM #1582

#StreetFocus Online

Just crank em up some more.

September 19, 2017, 07:49 PM #1583

benz88 Offline

• benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!benz88 is a rising star!
                  crank the factory ones and either get longer shocks or extenders like I have
                  '91 240sx Hatch

September 19, 2017, 09:09 PM #1584

Madbuzz41 Offline

• Vehicle: Fiat 500 Sport
                    • Reputation Power: 10
                    • Madbuzz41 has no influence.
                    Don't they make a 2" levelling kit for your guys trucks or no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 20, 2017, 08:33 AM #1585

jordisonjr Offline

Don't they make a 2" levelling kit for your guys trucks or no?

Yea, rough country does, and I'm sure others do too. That was what I was leaning towards, but I think i'm going to sort out the rockers/cab corners before any more mods.

September 20, 2017, 08:35 AM #1586

Madbuzz41 Offline

Yea, rough country does, and I'm sure others do too. That was what I was leaning towards, but I think i'm going to sort out the rockers/cab corners before any more mods.

My dad put a 2.5 inch levelling kit on his truck from rough country. The build quality seemed really good on it. I'm no metal expert but those "disks" that level it were very heavy. Perhaps solid steel. His came with a 1" rear one too though because with just the front in , it sat .5 higher in the front. So with the 1" rear it fixed that.

September 20, 2017, 10:03 AM #1587

jordisonjr Offline

My dad put a 2.5 inch levelling kit on his truck from rough country. The build quality seemed really good on it. I'm no metal expert but those "disks" that level it were very heavy. Perhaps solid steel. His came with a 1" rear one too though because with just the front in , it sat .5 higher in the front. So with the 1" rear it fixed that.

The chevy kit is a bit different. Just shocks, aftermarket keys and blocks for the rear. The newer sierra/silverado is similar to what you describe though.

How's the ride with that kit? Any better/worse than previously?

September 20, 2017, 01:44 PM #1588

Madbuzz41 Offline

The chevy kit is a bit different. Just shocks, aftermarket keys and blocks for the rear. The newer sierra/silverado is similar to what you describe though.

How's the ride with that kit? Any better/worse than previously?

No difference whatsoever. MAAAAAAYBE marginally stiffer. But it's very small that I don't even remember .
                            He's almost 60 and he loves the ride quality to put it in perspective. I know that my ranger is a lot stiffer than his truck. I don't mind though. Makes me feel like I'm driving a truck not a car

September 20, 2017, 07:05 PM #1589

benz88 Offline

Jordan I got Procomp front kit which came with the Keys and Shock Extensions.  Hardest part is busting the keys loose off the torsion bars. Also alot of up and down on the hoist after dialing in the front height.

If I were to do it all over again I'd probably go with a coilover conversion bracket kit from Atomic
                              https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-07-gm-lift-kit-coilover-conversion-brackets/

Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 07:10 PM by benz88
                              '91 240sx Hatch

September 21, 2017, 07:05 AM #1590

Madbuzz41 Offline

Streetfocus , have you ever heard of guys putting in a T-2 Torsten diff into the front end and replacing the open front diff?

Edit; apparently the guys that do it buy a t-2 new and put it in. But that looks to be the same one we have in our rear end. So I could technically get one out of a truck in the scrap yard and put it in my front end?

Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:55 AM by Madbuzz41

September 21, 2017, 08:34 AM #1591

jordisonjr Offline

Originally posted by benz88
                                  Jordan I got Procomp front kit which came with the Keys and Shock Extensions.  Hardest part is busting the keys loose off the torsion bars. Also alot of up and down on the hoist after dialing in the front height.

If I were to do it all over again I'd probably go with a coilover conversion bracket kit from Atomic
                                  https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-07-gm-lift-kit-coilover-conversion-brackets/

ON top of the brakets you would still need to get a coilover system, correct? Is this just for the fronts?

September 21, 2017, 10:29 AM #1592

#StreetFocus Online

Streetfocus , have you ever heard of guys putting in a T-2 Torsten diff into the front end and replacing the open front diff?

Edit; apparently the guys that do it buy a t-2 new and put it in. But that looks to be the same one we have in our rear end. So I could technically get one out of a truck in the scrap yard and put it in my front end?

Yeah people do it. Its not the same size as the rear. But it's the same design. I'm not a huge fan of it, because our front ends are live so it's going to be trying to engage all the time. And will make turning a pain, especially in winter. Selectable is the way to go imo.

The rear is an 8.8" diff and the front is a Dana 35

September 21, 2017, 11:17 AM #1593

#StreetFocus Online

Just saw a guy with a light bar cover that said "here's your ****ing cover" lmfao

Guessing he got a ticket for no cover haha

September 21, 2017, 01:07 PM #1594

Madbuzz41 Offline

Yeah people do it. Its not the same size as the rear. But it's the same design. I'm not a huge fan of it, because our front ends are live so it's going to be trying to engage all the time. And will make turning a pain, especially in winter. Selectable is the way to go imo.

The rear is an 8.8" diff and the front is a Dana 35

So it's a hybrid then? Using the 8.8 LSD in the Dana 35.
                                        From what I've read online they say it acts very well. Like a normal open diff then when you step on it then it locks. They advise against putting a locker in, and I can see that. Like you stated.
                                        I thought it would be a cool project to get a 8.8 Torsten LSD and put it in if it wouldn't be much of a pain.

September 21, 2017, 01:17 PM #1595

#StreetFocus Online

So it's a hybrid then? Using the 8.8 LSD in the Dana 35.
                                          From what I've read online they say it acts very well. Like a normal open diff then when you step on it then it locks. They advise against putting a locker in, and I can see that. Like you stated.
                                          I thought it would be a cool project to get a 8.8 Torsten LSD and put it in if it wouldn't be much of a pain.

No no it's a totally different unit for the front, different size. Same company is all.

Honestly don't think it's worth it, I've never been in a situation where I wish I had one. And I'd rather a selectable locker anyways.

September 21, 2017, 02:10 PM #1596

Madbuzz41 Offline

No no it's a totally different unit for the front, different size. Same company is all.

Honestly don't think it's worth it, I've never been in a situation where I wish I had one. And I'd rather a selectable locker anyways.

I think one day when I get a new truck, I'll keep this one and hopefully it's not too rusty (my door is starting to rust at the bottom) and then make it a dedicated off road truck and just put front and rear lockers. Solid front axle. But then I guess for now just keep it the way it is. I just wanted to have a bit of an edge.

September 21, 2017, 04:50 PM #1597

#StreetFocus Online

Check the drain plug at the bottom of your door, mine gets plugged up so often. Sometimes I can hear water sloshing around inside my doors lol. That's why it's rusting.

September 21, 2017, 04:51 PM #1598

Madbuzz41 Offline

Check the drain plug at the bottom of your door, mine gets plugged up so often. Sometimes I can hear water sloshing around inside my doors lol. That's why it's rusting.

That's very good to know. Also they repainted the door and didn't do it right. I think that's also why. But I'll definitely look at the drain plug.
                                                That's why I wanted to raptor liner over it to cover it and not see it when it comes threw

September 21, 2017, 09:01 PM #1599

benz88 Offline

Yessir.
                                                  '91 240sx Hatch

Top Tier Imports

Trucks/ Tow rigs / 4x4 Thread
                                                    « Reply #1599 on: September 21, 2017, 09:01 PM »