Author Topic: Journal??? I want to work on my car not write about it!!!!  (Read 1696 times)

November 04, 2012, 05:51 PM #0

Eppic Offline

• Vehicle: Miata's (lots of them)
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Eppic barely matters.Eppic barely matters.
Pretty much it's the same write up as what my ad is just with pictures at the right places and maybe some further details about what I all did. So... it's a forsale ad but you can really format THIS into kijiji.  Enjoy my friends

I bought this as a project car to restore and now that I'm complete, I'd like to sell it. (I have too many cars to keep this one)

So down to brass taxes:

1990 Mazda Eunos Roadster (right hand drive miata) at first sight

and one fancy wide angle iphone made shot

I bought it with a 1.8l engine swapped in because the original owner didn't replace the coolant so the block cracked I assume on that engine. Thus, WTC swapped in the 1.8l engine.  I've since found the guys who did the swap and they informed me about the details of the swap and how it went.  (they didn't have any bad news)
The unknown benefit (to most) of having a 1.8L engine in the 1.6L body, is that the wheel base is actually shorter and a weee bit lighter. However I think the weight is mostly due to the engine size.  Auto X guys like to do this swap as it gives you a tiny bit of a better advantage in the corners as TECHNICALLY your car turns tighter.  It would never be worth the money to do the swap for that reason alone but if you have to replace the engine anyway... why not right?
I've thoroughly gone through the engine and tranny and I haven't seen anything of any concern.  I drove the car for 10,000km and honestly did not have a single issue. This is the first car I've ever owned where the work under the hood was just by my own free will and not fixing something that broke.  That being said, there's not much to tell about drivetrain.  Run's perfect. I ran premium in it just because Canadian fuel is so poor quality and bad for your engine I give my engines that extra love they deserve.  Be good to your car and it will be good to you.

I bought the car with the paint falling off (there was a span of those, feel free to research as I don't want to explain that too)
Having previously worked in an auto body shop as an apprentice, I took it on as a winter project.  It turned out to be WAAAAAYYY more work then I expected.
Started by taking that ugly spoiler off, and welding the holes shut, covering with fiberglassy kinda bondo, then bondo for the final finish. this pic is mid job to show the fiberglassing.  but i didn't even end up using this lid as I took the one of the parts car. then... there is less opportunity for paint faliure in the future. so this picture is actually totally irrelivent.

This was it's winter beater mode... kinda! didn't really stay the same color 2 week in a row.

lots of teaching happened from the big brother

There was a lot more bondo on the fenders then I was expecting too. So once I knew what I was all in for, I went out and bought a parts miata that had 70,000km on it and was in beautiful condition except for the entire front end being smashed up.

First thing to be swapped was the hard top

I took, the doors + door panels, trunk, rear bumper, license plate bezel thing, and the hard top.  That cut down on the amount of work I had to do in the whole restoration process.

From there I stripped everything down to bare metal (except the swapped parts).  The door jams were not a fun task.  I welded in the antenna hole and the JDM side marker holes. I thought they looked like dinky trailer lights just slapped on the side for legalities in Japan so instead of buying usdm fenders, I welded a patch in.  While I had the welder out i searched for more repairs I need to do. Ended up finding a bit of rust on the rocker. so I cut and welded that guy too.

The rear quarters had quite a bit of bondo and had been painted numerous times.  Once that was stripped, I pulled, hammered and dolly'd and straightened out the quarters the best I could and smoothed it all over to give it a nice smooth finish.  That is not an overnight task let me tell you that much.  While everything was down to bare steel, I rented a fender roller and rolled the fender lips.  Better to do it before you paint the car as then you don't run the risk of chipping paint. Especially if it's new.

I washed her down, masked her up and laid on the primer.

3 good coats of that and then began the sanding of the primer.  Once the primer was even everywhere and things were looking good, I saved up to have a buddy paint the car as I work as a mechanic now so I don't have a paint booth to use anymore.

I didn't want anything fancy but a good quality job to make the car all the same color and to have a durable paint that wouldn't peel off in 5 years.  Once I had that money, off to the paint shop it went. (a long awaited day that had me excited)
Paint Turned out pretty good for the most part. It's just a single stage paint so you get what you get.  I found 2 small runs in it but they are in unseen area's and the car is white. You can't see them anyway unless your looking for them on your hands and knee's under the car. (i'll show you if you come look)
(i took these pictures before I put the other side mirror on. I had somewhere to be so I took pictures along the way)

ha! just kidding!

I also had some restoring of the interior to do.
The bezel around the gauges was busted so I bought a good used one (before i bought my parts car) from a left hand drive car. Thinking they were the same... I was almost right. When I got it, I went to put it on right away and soon found that it was a slight different shape then the right hand drive miata.  It had a pin 1” over from where the other one went into the dash. It's like they just kinda reversed the mold. So now I have 2 of those that I can't use.  I ended up buying one off ebay in the uk.  That was not a cheap endeavour either. Oh well, it's here now.  I also replaced the centre trim piece that goes around the radio.  The one in the car was broken too.  And then I took off all the weird red vinyl and some stickers that were ricing out the interior.

Lots of cleaning went down and now she's sparkly fresh.

The previous owner also put manual windows into the car. I guess he didn't like the old slow power windows that Mazda is known for.  The car came with a cheap aftermarket steering wheel but it hasn't given me any problems.  “If it's aint broke... Don't fix it” (unless your a honda guy!!! rip it all apart just because!!!! I used to be that guy so I can say that).
My mom is a seamstress and so I made myself a new leather shift boot with some blue stitching. I'm not the seamstress so it's not a fantastic job but it works just peachy.

As for the other stuff I did to the car or that the car has on it are:
Jdm Cat back exhaust
Aftermarket Steering wheel with a fun Horn button
7” touch screen deck dvd with built in navigation and direct ipod hook up/controls
K+N drop in Air Filter
Led front marker lights
Pioneer speakers (decent quality. Not the best but good enough for a small car)
   There are factory speakers in the headrest by the way. Seems only the top modles came with    those and this guy has em. Kinda neat. They arn't very good speakers but it's just one of those    “cool” things you can brag about.
New Wiper blades last year I believe.
Plugs, wires, hoses and belts are all still good for another 50,000km at minimum.
Driveline is good. Nothing loose or noisey.

This car is ready to go.  Reliable, Safe, Fun to drive with the engine swap.  I kinda don't want to sell it now that it's all done.  My girlfriend doesn't want me to either as she LOVES that car more then my current miata but... bills gotta be paid, loans gotta be paid, to much money owing elsewhere to keep this little guy.

Top Tier Imports

Journal??? I want to work on my car not write about it!!!!
    « on: November 04, 2012, 05:51 PM »

October 25, 2015, 02:05 AM #1

Eppic Offline

well how bout an update on the ol eunos?

4 years ago I bought this sucker.  It's been through gravel pits, ditches, jumps, bumps, snow drifts and mud holes.  And after all that eventfulness I have finally brought it to a place where I feel like it has been completed to a point where I don't have a huge list of things i want to do.  Of course there is still a list as a car is never finished.  But I'm satisfied with her for now.  :)

Ended up getting some nice rare tuckin99 super wide flares.  Unfortunately what i did was install them using the pattern the last guy used to install them and now i don't like how they sit but... whatever.  too much work to change them now and repaint.  It's not that big of a deal.

Once i got those fitted and holes drilled it was time to apply my military paint.  Bought it off a military supply store online.  Pretty cheap stuff.  but super thick and seems pretty durable.  Time will tell.  Since i wasn't going for a high quality paint job i opted to just do it myself in the shop. and this is how she turned out.

drove it around like this for a couple months constantly receiving compliments on the car.  My guess is because people are too scared to do anything "extreme" with their car and so when they see someone else do something extreme they get all dreamy and wish they could do that. (lots of guys explain that to me)

I needed to do just one more thing to get this bad boy to where I wanted her.  HUGE DECALS!!!!  Now she's at the stage where I had always seen in my dreams of making a military vehicle.

My dog Turbo rarely lets me leave the house without hoping in for a ride.  Even if I'm not going anywhere he's in there having a snooze

Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 02:10 AM by Eppic

October 25, 2015, 02:09 AM #2

Eppic Offline

got him so super cool goggles too. :)

October 25, 2015, 02:22 AM #3

Eppic Offline

he's always on the ready looking for something to hunt!

not too sure he likes the goggles yet, but everyone else sure loves it.  My dog rocks

and just one more picture cause my dog is just funny enough that he deserves to be shared and spread smiles to all the peoples. enjoy. :D

October 25, 2015, 08:33 AM #4

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
          • Reputation Power: 194
          • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

October 25, 2015, 10:12 AM #5

Impact Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Mitsubishi Evo V GSR
          • Reputation Power: 60
          • Impact is a rising star!Impact is a rising star!Impact is a rising star!Impact is a rising star!Impact is a rising star!Impact is a rising star!
          i think i first seen that shark decal on a e30 years ago..guess its still big

looks like you wrote about your build too...looks awesome and shows the fruits of your labor.

cool dawg is cool
          1998 Mitsubishi Evolution V GSR - Evo-la

Got a Mitsubishi? Come join Mitsubishi Club of Manitoba (MCM) on Facebook or follow on IG Mitsubishi_Club_of_Manitoba

October 25, 2015, 10:37 AM #6

dano Offline

• Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Leaf SL
            • Reputation Power: 91
            • dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!dano has great potential!
            The teeth have been around for a while.

Current Forester count: 1
            New business opening soon...

October 25, 2015, 11:30 AM #7

Eppic Offline

Originally posted by themikewoo
              Dat dog is a mother ****ing badass.
              thanks man.  He's the best dog i've ever owned.  husky/wolf.  Saw him jump on a deer last year.  Not sure if he killed it or not but everyone once in a while he comes home with a red face.  Super gentle and friendliest dog ever.  Never barks.  Super soft.  Loves other dogs and people.  I couldn't ask for a better dog!!!

October 25, 2015, 11:58 AM #8

Eppic Offline

Originally posted by Impact
                i think i first seen that shark decal on a e30 years ago..guess its still big

looks like you wrote about your build too...looks awesome and shows the fruits of your labor.

cool dawg is cool

I'm a miata nut. I have 5 at the moment.  And i'm really starting to love the rat rod type stuff.  So i think the next miata will probably be along those lines.  Time to get the creative juices flowing.  :)
                Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:02 PM by Eppic

October 26, 2015, 10:40 AM #9

Ctown8 Offline

• Vehicle: 2001 Forester STI 2000 Celica
                  • Reputation Power: 117
                  • Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!Ctown8 is leading the good life!
                  this is actually so sick! nice work man!
                  BAASSSSSSS
                  I work at Brian Reimer Audio on St. Marys, come in for some good deals, ask for Colin.
                  My Motto: Love thy neighbors sick nasty whip like u love thy selves dirt nasty swag machine!
                  Dont mod your cars kids. its not worth it.

October 26, 2015, 10:53 AM #10

IanB Offline

• Vehicle: '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81/'99 MB E55t AMG
                    • Reputation Power: 42
                    • IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...IanB might someday be someone...
                    Love the dog's goggles!
                    '93 Land Cruiser HDJ81
                    '99 MB E55t AMG - DD
                    '04 Lexus GX470

October 26, 2015, 11:54 AM #11

Autter Offline

• Reputation Power: 36
                      • Autter is working their way up.Autter is working their way up.Autter is working their way up.
                      Originally posted by Eppic

I love this photo, and the look of the car.
                      I wanna put a bomber style sticker on an FJ or a bike.
                      [Dec 23 10:24:37] Ctown8:i was hanging out with this girl named autumn last night, and i kept calling her autter by accident. she was like what the heck lol

Igor [May 09, 09:58:01 AM]:   silly people, ikea is for furniture not car meets

October 29, 2015, 07:49 PM #12

Eppic Offline

thanks guys.  I love how she turned out too.  it's a fun toy.  :D

October 31, 2015, 02:51 PM #13

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                          • Reputation Power: 369
                          • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
                          Neato. But it needs to be lower!

October 31, 2015, 04:14 PM #14

Eppic Offline

i live down a gravel road.  lower isn't an option.  Wheel gap looks big cause of how the flares were designed.  it actually sits quite low.  The superblue is still winning but this guy aint far behind.

June 01, 2017, 07:10 AM #15

Eppic Offline

Re-restoring this bad boy. Lots of paint chips and paint shrinkage from not using sealer the first time I did this car.  This is how one learns their lesson.  This time the rebuild is getting vlogged on youtube.
                              Subscribe to my channel to watch the process.

Top Tier Imports

Journal??? I want to work on my car not write about it!!!!
                                « Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 07:10 AM »