Author Topic: Shaun's Two Wheeled Project - 1976 Yamaha XS500  (Read 9061 times)

December 31, 2012, 01:54 PM #25

Murphenur Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Audi S6
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Murphenur has no influence.
Dave is far too nice to you Shaun... what are you holding over his head?  or is it voodoo...

but yeah... the safety isn't hard but none of the cool looking led light will pass... so OEM ones are the only way.  I kept mine just in case I ever need to put them back on, but you can use them on any bike. 

the rear sets are my biggest challenge, since I'll have to make my own mounts and linkages.... but there are kits out there for yours, jealous.

oh, check out www.bikeexif.com for sweet inspiration.

when you going for the license?
1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon

2007 Audi S6

1959 Mercedes Benz 180D

1980 Honda CX 500 Cafe

Sponsored by your mom and dad

scrapesloths

Top Tier Imports

Shaun's Two Wheeled Project - 1976 Yamaha XS500
    « Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 01:54 PM »

January 02, 2013, 08:20 AM #26

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
    • Reputation Power: 366
    • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!
    Yeah, I've been browsing Bike EXIF lots. Tons of cool stuff.

Not sure when I'll be going for my license exactly, but some time in the spring.

January 02, 2013, 08:19 PM #27

Murphenur Offline

Originally posted by Shaun
      Yeah, I've been browsing Bike EXIF lots. Tons of cool stuff.

Not sure when I'll be going for my license exactly, but some time in the spring.

goooood luck...  21 hr class is great, and take the 5 day one if you can... doing the weekend one is tough.
      1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon

2007 Audi S6

1959 Mercedes Benz 180D

1980 Honda CX 500 Cafe

scrapesloths

January 02, 2013, 10:19 PM #28

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
        • Reputation Power: 38
        • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
        Lol Shaun owes me nothing for playing with it. One of my favorite things to do is find these old machines and put them back into service while they still have lots of life. I have plenty of experience with points, carbs, etc.

It has pretty decent Mikuni units from the factory, and since it's Shauns first machine I think he's more interested in style than big power increases. Some straight filters, exhaust, and a rejet would probably make a good difference, but hey, it ain't my bike lol.

This whole braking system is fubar, but I want to hear it run before we go any further.
        BNRJAMZ
        '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
        Originally posted by: Igor
        i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

January 02, 2013, 10:29 PM #29

Vince Online

• Vehicle: 2012 Si
          • Reputation Power: 169
          • Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
          How are the brakes fubar'd? Seized?

I thought the rear wheel was seized as well, again brakes?
          Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:39 PM by boostfreak
          (∩ ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)⊃━☆ ─=≡Σ((( つ◕ل͜◕)つ

[May 23 00:37:52] Sloppyclock:But Moooooom, I was being a street terrorist

January 02, 2013, 10:36 PM #30

boostfreak Offline

• boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
            The calipers definitely need rebuilding. I have no idea if the master cylinders are even producing pressure. I doubt it, the seals in them are probably dried out.

The rotors are in great condition, and they are easily the most expensive parts, so that's a good thing.
            BNRJAMZ
            '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
            i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

January 02, 2013, 10:46 PM #31

slowbalt69

never forget the time when the old guy in my motorcycle licensing class hit the white fence... poor poor guy

January 02, 2013, 10:59 PM #32

Vince Online

• Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!Vince is awe-inspiring!
                Ah okay.. What do the seals look like? Are they o-ring type? or are they a paper/metal?

Check out kepco, they're off Dublin..Across from Dino's Storage..1560 Orange Street
                Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:01 PM by Decrypter

January 02, 2013, 11:09 PM #33

Murphenur Offline

Originally posted by boostfreak
                  The calipers definitely need rebuilding. I have no idea if the master cylinders are even producing pressure. I doubt it, the seals in them are probably dried out.

The rotors are in great condition, and they are easily the most expensive parts, so that's a good thing.

Kills me that no one puts things away nicely...  But my master cylinder was shot too, the rubber was all messed up and the the brake fluid had crystallized like I've said before, I just replaced the master cylinder...  the brakes I had were easy to rebuild, just used a grease gun to force it out, barely had to clean it up with emery cloth.

Nice that it's got mikunis... I swapped to them because the tuning on my stock Keihins sucked.  Mikunis are much better.  What's the size on those?  I have a few sets of pod filters... some 58mm if those work.

can't wait to see this thing get going.

and I definitely double post to get post counts up.  just sayin.

"if you say gullible slowly it begins to sound like orange"
                  1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon

2007 Audi S6

1959 Mercedes Benz 180D

1980 Honda CX 500 Cafe

scrapesloths

January 02, 2013, 11:15 PM #34

boostfreak Offline

They're a specific seal. I can completely rebuild both calipers and both masters for 75 bucks. New pistons and all. That will be the way to go if we have to. Thanks though!
                    BNRJAMZ
                    '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

January 02, 2013, 11:21 PM #35

Vince Online

They're a specific seal. I can completely rebuild both calipers and both masters for 75 bucks. New pistons and all. That will be the way to go if we have to. Thanks though!
                      :O Didn't know you could do that! You better get Shaun to do something :P

Oh, try to avoid Wildwood (even though it sounds like you won't need to set foot in there...well,cept to rub yourself their sexy bikes) They've had a habit of giving bad/stupid advice, wrong parts, aaaand telling my father things cannot be done to the point where they were rude, even though they were wrong.  :lol:
                      Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:25 PM by Decrypter

January 03, 2013, 11:41 AM #36

Ænimal Offline

• Vehicle: Miater, so many bikes
                        • Reputation Power: 76
                        • Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.Ænimal has a powerful will.
                        Originally posted by Decrypter
                        Oh, try to avoid Wildwood (even though it sounds like you won't need to set foot in there...well,cept to rub yourself their sexy bikes) They've had a habit of giving bad/stupid advice, wrong parts, aaaand telling my father things cannot be done to the point where they were rude, even though they were wrong.  :lol:

Dude, don't knock on a shop over a single review that someone else told you about. Paul @ Wildwood knows his **** and has been building and racing bikes for an eternity. I also routinely order parts from them when I'm too lazy to drive to pembina, and have also taken stuff to them in the past.

[Aug 01 15:48:26] dolan:Guys i really dont care, im still young enough to learn from all my mistakes.

January 03, 2013, 11:50 AM #37

Vince Online

Originally posted by aenimal
                          Dude, don't knock on a shop over a single review that someone else told you about. Paul @ Wildwood knows his **** and has been building and racing bikes for an eternity. I also routinely order parts from them when I'm too lazy to drive to pembina, and have also taken stuff to them in the past.

The "someone" was my father, and I was with him...

But hey, if you've had good luck with them, and like them..Do whatever you want.

January 03, 2013, 01:54 PM #38

Murphenur Offline

Originally posted by aenimal

agreed, Wildwood has been exceptional to me when I needed something.  for instance for my safety they gave it a look over and told me what needed to be done for a $35 shop fee.  didn't have to do that for me at all... and I did the repairs myself and passed the safety.  I don't know a shop that would do that, auto or motorcycle. 

**to clarify, they inspected the bike and told me what it needed to be safetied for $35 (0.5 shop rate) and let me do the repairs myself and bring the bike back for the actual safety, would have cost me $300+ for them to do the work, safety itself was the usual$45 (same as cars)**

also the sonic cleaning service they offer is a good price.  I agree the prices there are high, but they gave good solid advice, and didn't take me to the cleaners where other shops would have. 

Honda powersports wouldn't even look at my bike, citing that 1980 was too old!!!  all I wanted was a safety.

they did price match a jacket I found on the internet, even tho it was $50 less, so they can be reasonable if you just talk to them nicely.

And sorry for hi-jacking the tread... ppl will read this and think poorly about Wildwood which isn't neccesarily fair, and there isn't many motorcycle shops in town.
                            Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:44 PM by Murphenur
                            1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon

2007 Audi S6

1959 Mercedes Benz 180D

1980 Honda CX 500 Cafe

scrapesloths

January 03, 2013, 01:57 PM #39

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                              • Reputation Power: 67
                              • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                              Originally posted by Murphenur
                              agreed, Wildwood has been exceptional to me when I needed something.  for instance for my safety they gave it a look over and told me what needed to be done for a $35 shop fee.  didn't have to do that for me at all... and I did the repairs myself and passed the safety.  I don't know a shop that would do that, auto or motorcycle.

That's called a safety inspection. It's 55 bucks if you have a car.
                              Not that impressive.

January 03, 2013, 03:22 PM #40

boostfreak Offline

Well this thread was about a bike...
                                BNRJAMZ
                                '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

January 03, 2013, 05:52 PM #41

arynnoelle

Well this thread was about a bike...

My thoughts exactly.
                                  Seriously, back on topic, people. No need for petty arguments.

January 03, 2013, 09:58 PM #42

boostfreak Offline

Picked up new spark plugs, 8L of vinegar, and a new sealed battery for this bad boy today. Nick (P1LLAR) at Prairie Battery has the best prices in town! PM him for sweet deals. Thanks Nick!
                                    BNRJAMZ
                                    '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

January 03, 2013, 10:08 PM #43

Shaun Offline

• Vehicle: 1998 Civic, 2003 GS430
                                      • Reputation Power: 366
                                      • Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!Shaun is awe-inspiring!

January 04, 2013, 10:47 AM #44

CFMP RAblue Offline

• Vehicle: 09 Mits Ralliart Octane blue
                                      • Reputation Power: 58
                                      • CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.CFMP RAblue is on the verge of being accepted.
                                      pics... or it didnt happen
                                      "Go Fast, Stop Fast"
                                      Extreme Stop Slotted/Drilled Rotors
                                      KVR Performance Slotted Rotors
                                      Magnaflow CBE

January 04, 2013, 11:54 AM #45

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                                        • Reputation Power: 67
                                        • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                                        In for pics of vinegar.
                                        White or gold vinegar?

January 09, 2013, 07:57 PM #46

99blackSE Offline

• Vehicle: Two wheels, wrecked wheels, four wheels.
                                          • Reputation Power: 16
                                          • 99blackSE has no influence.
                                          Picked up new spark plugs, 8L of vinegar, and a new sealed battery for this bad boy today. Nick (P1LLAR) at Prairie Battery has the best prices in town! PM him for sweet deals. Thanks Nick!

Glassmat battery?
                                          2005 Grand Prix GTP Comp G
                                          2001 Silverado Z71 - workhorse
                                          2011 CBR 250RA

January 14, 2013, 05:04 PM #47

boostfreak Offline

Not much in the form of updates. Filled the tank with vinegar and brought it inside a week ago. Pulled the front brake caliper off the disc, front wheel now turns much easier, but still sluggish.

Received a new points cover gasket in the mail. Still waiting on points plate, fuse box, and kill switch. Battery is sitting on my Battery tender.

With those items and a bit of fresh gas, I'm thinking we have a good shot at starting it.

Also found this gem of a thread today. Guy pulled this bike out of a field/vineyard after it sat for who knows how long. A tree/plant had been growing through the frame.

After a year he turned it into this, and even fitted SV650 brakes on. Awesome.

Damn fine motivation.

Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:14 PM by boostfreak
                                            BNRJAMZ
                                            '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

January 14, 2013, 06:15 PM #48

arynnoelle

Holy crap. That looks fantastic! Good motivation indeed.

January 15, 2013, 11:01 AM #49

jordisonjr Offline

• Vehicle: 14/15 Endeavor New Standard 151
                                                • Reputation Power: 193
                                                • jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!jordisonjr is awe-inspiring!
                                                Dave, are you building this bike for Shaun?
                                                Originally posted by Madbuzz41
                                                I'm not a fan of blowing for a long time anyways ; )

[Mar 31 23:03:18] Basil:Dan go outside without your pants and let your beef curtains flap around in the wind like a windsock

[Dec 11 14:00:38] alexatwork21:I

Top Tier Imports

Shaun's Two Wheeled Project - 1976 Yamaha XS500
                                                  « Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 11:01 AM »