Author Topic: DIY: Quick 2JZ-GTE TTC (True Twin Conversion) Mod  (Read 6309 times)

January 04, 2013, 10:30 PM #0

sunshine Offline

• Reputation Power: 16
  • sunshine has no influence.
This TTC (true twin conversion) mod will make the sequential turbos run in parallel instead of sequential.
basically it delays the first turbo so they both come on together.

All you need to do is move around 4 hoses to bypass the VSV and connect the pressure line directly to the actuator for both intake air and exhaust gas.

The attached pics will probably be easier to understand than my descriptions.
green and red are where the hoses are routed stock.
orange is where the hoses go for the TTC.

Step 1: bypass VSV for IACV
located at rear left side of the engine.

this part is easy just make your hoses look like this.
At the bottom middle of this pic there is a hose that goes up and bends back down to connect right beside where it came up.
that is the VSV for intake air.
pull off the longer hose and connect the shorter one to block off both side.

Step 2: bypass VSV for EGCV
located mid left side of the engine beside the intake by the MAF connector.

this one I took off the intake for more room.
I recommend buying 1 foot of hose from piston ring or somewhere for $1.00 because the stock hose is barely long enough.
same idea here but there are 2 hoses going downwards.
follow the one on the left of the pic or closer to the rear down and pull it out of the VSV.
pull the other hose out off the actuator and use it to block off both ports of the VSV.
connect the line that came down from the top to the actuator you just disconected.

Now you are finished.
Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:05 PM by sunshine

Top Tier Imports

DIY: Quick 2JZ-GTE TTC (True Twin Conversion) Mod
    « on: January 04, 2013, 10:30 PM »

January 04, 2013, 10:59 PM #1

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
    • Reputation Power: 67
    • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
    Neat.
    Now, whats the point of having them both come on at the same time rather than one powering the other?
    12 lbs + 12 lbs = 24 lbs?
    Or is it 12 lbs split into 6 lbs each?

January 05, 2013, 01:51 AM #2

sunshine Offline

in sequential turbo 1 boosts to .7 bar at about 2500 rpm then turbo 2 comes in and boost is .8 bar somewhere over 3.5k rpm and its a smooth transition when the turbos go into boost.

when they both go into boost at the same time its like a single turbo with more lag.
      car is louder and sounds better, i have heard of better fuel economy probably from not using the first turbo so much.
      I guess I can rev higher without having turbo 1 start and make my tires spin. easier driving in the city maybe.

I cant really say what the differences are because when turbo 2 starts up I just get spinning tires and a car going out of control especially with traction control off in both modes . and same with turbo 1 alone in sequential mode if Im not already rolling at a decent speed.

I need to check what my boost levels are again.
      Im not sure how much boost I get with both turbos in sequential yet but in parallel I got 1 bar when the turbos kicked in.
      Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 02:16 AM by sunshine

January 05, 2013, 10:12 AM #3

trdsoarer93

(TTC), which is a simple matter of re-routing a couple of vac hoses. It doesn't give you any more top end power, it just means you get less boost at low to medium rpm. You would get full boost at 4k which about the same point the second turbo kicks in with the sequential system; the difference is You get practically no boost below 4k, You  used to have at least 5psi from 1500rpm upwards!

why do you want to have parallel turbos anyway? The sequential turbos gives you the best of both worlds: fast spool-up AND good flow at high rpm. - and the ecu was designed/tuned for sequential not parallel - not to mention the manifolds arent designed for a true parallel setup - so your essentially limiting your engine potential in the end -  So you will need a new ecu tuned for the mod to take advantage of it -

ofcourse thats my 0.02

January 05, 2013, 10:48 AM #4

sunshine Offline

Fuel economy and easier to drive. There's more than enough power for my daily driving without the turbos.
          Mostly just testing to see if I like it. So far I like it. Will switch back and forth after a proper alignment.

Lke I posted earlier my tires just spin when turbo 1 comes on anyways.
          Never even got to the second turbo in sequential before the car went out of control in this weather and my narrow winter tires with crazy performance reducing camber.
          Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:50 AM by sunshine

January 06, 2013, 01:03 AM #5

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
            • Reputation Power: 67
            • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
            You don't need to be boosting like crazy in this weather, anyways. Even in dry weather you don't need to be boosting like a mad hatter unless you're at the track.
            Neat concept, never the less. Just seems useless to me.

January 06, 2013, 11:13 AM #6

trdsoarer93

if you have issues with traction in summer - lets get you some nice tires :)  haha even with 275s the soarer will spin if under 80kph - doesnt mean im going to ask for less power.. just more traction :D

January 08, 2013, 09:43 PM #7

gameface Offline

• Vehicle: X W/ JZ
                • Reputation Power: 4
                • gameface has no influence.
                Seriously those little turbos don't get full boost till 4k? I understand the switching to ttc, obviously it would be a lot more fun. Go single!

January 08, 2013, 10:59 PM #8

sunshine Offline

Hey I have 275s ready to go on in the rear after winter too!
                  I'll probably put it back into sequential mode after winter for the extra boost at low rpms.

ya full boost is at 4k which is pretty damn high.
                  If my turbos break for any reason I'll probably end up going single then.

January 11, 2013, 06:28 PM #9

slowbalt69

now if only rx7's were this easy to do

Top Tier Imports

How To: quick 2JZ-GTE TTC mod
                      « Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 06:28 PM »