Author Topic: So, You want to get on a Motorcycle? [How-To]  (Read 8025 times)

March 05, 2013, 12:18 PM #25

themikewoo Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Honda S2000
  • Reputation Power: 183
  • themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!themikewoo is awe-inspiring!

Top Tier Imports

So, You want to get on a Motorcycle? [How-To]
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 12:18 PM »

March 11, 2013, 08:39 PM #26

99blackSE Offline

• Vehicle: Two wheels, wrecked wheels, four wheels.
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • 99blackSE has no influence.
2005 Grand Prix GTP Comp G
2001 Silverado Z71 - workhorse
2011 CBR 250RA

March 11, 2013, 09:23 PM #27

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
    • Reputation Power: 38
    • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
    Great article. Thanks for posting.

It's certainly not without its share of risk, and it is not for everyone.

Situational awareness and defensive riding go a long way.
    BNRJAMZ
    '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
    Originally posted by: Igor
    i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

March 11, 2013, 10:21 PM #28

Murphenur Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Audi S6
      • Reputation Power: 13
      • Murphenur has no influence.
      agreed.  it's scary as heck with our distracted drivers out there.  i definitely rather go out on the bike saturday & sunday mornings when there is less traffic.

1995 Mercedes E320 Wagon

2007 Audi S6

1959 Mercedes Benz 180D

1980 Honda CX 500 Cafe

Sponsored by your mom and dad

scrapesloths

March 11, 2013, 11:10 PM #29

99blackSE Offline

I'd like to say I negate most risk by staying out of the city for the most part but even then...
        2011 CBR 250RA

March 12, 2013, 06:50 AM #30

TurboD Offline

• Vehicle: 95 Honda Civic, 2003 Kawi Ninja
          • Reputation Power: 1
          • TurboD has no influence.
          Originally posted by 99blackSE
          Throw the trusty GS500E/F and Ninja 500R on the beginners list too, great bikes that have been around for more than a decade for a reason.

Not to mention that 500cc is the cut off before the next insurance bracket starts. 0-500cc and then 501 to 1000cc by MPI's rate calculator. If I change my 500cc Ninja to the 501-1000cc bracket in their calculator I would pay an extra $500 per year! Not sure how accurate this is though.
          Single Cam? Dayyymn!

March 12, 2013, 07:05 PM #31

boostfreak Offline

• boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
            Fairly accurate. Being 650+ sucks lol. I can only imagine insuring an 1800cc Harley or something
            BNRJAMZ
            '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
            i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

March 13, 2013, 07:13 PM #32

99blackSE Offline

Yeah I wonder what it is past the 1000 mark...*shudder*.
              2011 CBR 250RA

March 31, 2013, 11:12 PM #33

boostfreak Offline

Tis' the season for people to be buying up sportbikes way too big for them, and riding them with almost nothing, then wondering why insurance is so crazy.

Thought I would share a few great posts from forums I lurk. Like I said before, talk to the people that have been doing it for years for advice on where to start.

Quote (selected)
                There are easier and less painful ways to die. I heard cyanide works really well... quick and painless.

Seriously people, don't do it. Its the rider that makes the bike, not the other way around. Its like a musical instrument... you may have a $5000 Eric Clapton signature series guitar, the finest, but if you can't play it, it will sound terrible and nobody will want to listen.

How will you feel when some guy on a Ninja 250 smokes the living crap out of you in the twisties because you are so scared to open your beast up..you will realize that the larger bikes will not tolerate your mistakes.

Don't become another statistic...respect the sport and pay your dues like the rest of us to be worthy of such a bike.

Quote (selected)
                After brainstorming and discussing with others all the pro's and con's, I have come to a couple of conclusions..

The older riders, the ones with 10+ years of riding all say start small, and work your way up to the bad ass bike that you want......

The younger riders say start on what you want to.

Now, this may be a generational thing - the older riders have all started on slower tackle, and when they finally get their machine they are awestruck, and cannot imagine how anyone can learn on such a weapon.

The young hotshots that start on the 600's, 750's and 1000's may be highly skilled pilots, and it may just be that they have more talent than us old bastards give them credit for.

However.....

Every week in the summer we read the posts of people crashing their shiny new Gixxers and CBR's, when the bike is totally at fault....

Examples:

"It stood up on me" - no it did not stand up on you, it does not have a mind of its own - you messed up....

"The back stepped out on me for some reason" yes -the reason was you wound too much throttle on (this was me on Sunday)

"The front brakes grabbed, and I went over the bars" - NOPE - you grabbed the front brakes in a panic reaction.

"The power came in all of a sudden, and I did a 12-o'clock wheelie into a tree" you where sloppy on the throttle, you were stunting in the wrong place....

and the list goes on.

Then there is the Sunday ride, you follow someone on a brand new bike that is bolt upright through the bends, fighting it like crazy, its obvious that this is their first bike - and then you notice the "1000" stickers on the back, and you give them a nice wave as you pass.

Learning to survive, is not learning to ride.

Then finally, you read the adverts on E-Bay

GSXR1000 - 600 miles for spares or repair $3000
                GSXR750 - trashed plastics, bent subframe
                R1 - flipped - good engine 300 miles
                R6 - rashed plastics, dented tank....

So many bikes are wrecked with so few miles on them.

Finally you go into the dealer, and you ask him whats good to learn on, he says that the 750 is perfect - knowing full well that you stand a huge chance of buying another one in a month or so when you wreck it.....

Listen to us old bastards, the ones that have survived 10 or more years, and have a clue what we are talking about - do the research, read the magazines, write to the editors and ask about starter bikes.

But remember - wear your gear.... and take the damn course. A lot of countries have mandatory training for new riders.

Whilst you can argue that this the US is the land of the free, its also the land of the squid (newbie), and the land of the crashed sportsbike.

Quote (selected)
                You'll be much happier sliding, low-siding, or just losing your balance and dropping (which happens more than anyone admits) that $2500 EX250/GS500/etc than you will that nice shiny new CBR/Gixxer/etc.

Quote (selected)
                P.S.....It's not just street squids. I was at a track day at CMP this weekend. There were SEVERAL guys there on shiny new Ducatis and Aprilias with trick gear, trick parts, trick trailers, and trick trucks. That were SLOW as hell.

I wonder how it feels to buy a $30K worth of motorcycle stuff and get passed by a 4 year old 600.

I apologize if this gets annoying. I for one am tired of paying a silly amount for bike insurance, so the more people that use their head instead of their ego or buddies opinions, the better.
                BNRJAMZ
                '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

March 31, 2013, 11:29 PM #34

sabu243

I for one am glad I chose a small, low powered biek for my first learner. Much more forgiving and I'm not going to be crying at the price of parts if I do drop it. I hope we see more people making smart decisions in the future.

April 01, 2013, 12:03 AM #35

99blackSE Offline

Great quotes Dave.  Hopefully the latter half of the year: http://advancedridingschool.net/
                    2011 CBR 250RA

May 01, 2013, 11:34 AM #36

keshmoney Offline

• Vehicle: 2006 Nissan 350Z, 2002 Honda CBR954RR
                      • Reputation Power: 2
                      • keshmoney has no influence.
                      This is an excellent thread!

I took that 21 hour MPI course in 2008 and I definitely recoommend it to anyone starting out. I had no experience on motorcycles, and IMO it really laid the foundation for all the little things like riding at slow speeds, how to properly shift gears etc.

My first bike was a 2007 Honda CBR 125R. I'm definitly glad I didn't listen to the peer pressure and get a 600/1000cc bike b/c not only was the 125 a GREAT bike to learn on, it helped build confidence and reinforce the good habits that I learned on the MPI course.

The next riding season, I upgraded to a CBR 600. My very first ride on it was from Shilo MB to Winnipeg in heavy rain and wind! Thankfully I made it home safe and without any accidents, primarily b/c I respected the bike power, rode responsibly and adjusted my riding to the weather conditions.

My primary bike I use now is a CBR 954RR. I'm not saying I'm an expert, I've never taken any of my bikes racing.. I usually just cruise around the city. I know for a fact that if I were to ever get careless or decide to race, I'd be asking for trouble b/c I'm not that experienced. I've been fortunate to never get in an accident b/c I ride responsibly and within my limits.
                      Like gravy baby

June 07, 2013, 08:53 AM #37

Josia Offline

• Vehicle: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, 2008 VW GTI
                        • Reputation Power: 33
                        • Josia is working their way up.Josia is working their way up.Josia is working their way up.
                        Started studying for the knowledge test yesterday. Definitely taking the 21 hour course as I don't have a lot of 2 wheeled experience besides mountain biking and my Ruckus. Very excited to start riding!
                        [Feb 22 17:00:55] Shaun:i hate chatbox

July 14, 2013, 04:02 PM #38

COLE Offline

• Vehicle: 2015 Scion tC, 2002 Mazda Miata
                          • Reputation Power: 24
                          • COLE barely matters.COLE barely matters.
                          so everyone keeps mentioning that it costs alot of money to insure these bikes, my question is how much is it approximately per year to insure a 500ccc > and a <500cc sport bike ?

edit: just looked it up on the insurance rate calculator from mpi's website, it says about 1200 per year for under 500 cc's, not bad at all
                          Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:17 PM by WU-COLE

July 14, 2013, 04:47 PM #39

boostfreak Offline

If all other variables are the same (value of bike/discount percentage/use of vehicle/territory area/deductibles, etc) there often is a sizeable difference. In sportbikes, anyway. Sport touring and cruiser bikes are naturally a little cheaper.

Take a 2012 CBR500R vs a same year 600RR for an example. Both in the $4k-8k value category. Obviously a 2012 600 is worth more than $8k, which would push the insurance even higher, but this is just an example. This is with zero discount, basic deductibles and on pleasure use in Territory 2 (outside the city)

500: $1337
                            600: $1815

It pays to have a good insurance discount, basically, if you want a super/hypersport.
                            BNRJAMZ
                            '13 Fiat 500 Turbo

July 14, 2013, 05:13 PM #40

Shier Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 STI -- RIP 2011 Genesis Coupe
                              • Reputation Power: 52
                              • Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.Shier is on the verge of being accepted.
                              Originally posted by boostfreak

500: $1337
                              600: $1815

dat 500 is LEET
                              It will never have enough power until I can spin all four wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear.

July 15, 2013, 10:27 AM #41

99blackSE Offline

A supermoto knocks of even more, about 3-400 off the <500cc sportbike rate.  Yeah they're not too flashy but in the city I think it'd be the only way to go to not pay an arm and a leg for a year round machine if you have no discount.
                                2011 CBR 250RA

August 22, 2013, 12:29 PM #42

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
                                  • Reputation Power: 79
                                  • Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.
                                  Thank you for the write-up, I am going to go and grab a handbook before work!
                                  EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

August 22, 2013, 07:14 PM #43

ThisGuy Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
                                    • ThisGuy has no influence.
                                    Originally posted by Matthew
                                    Thank you for the write-up, I am going to go and grab a handbook before work!
                                    FYI the handbook is available online, but it only costs $5 so it is worth keeping around.

Keep in mind the written test is VERY VERY easy and basic, it weeds out the complete morons.  The true learning experience is the safety course, I'm taking the 21-hour course in a couple weeks.

Then, and only then, will I start seriously looking for a bike.  Likely a nice shiny green Ninja 250 :D  if he still has it that is.

August 27, 2013, 09:31 AM #44

Matthew Offline

• Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.Matthew has a powerful will.
                                      Just did the written test.

If anyone is planning on doing the 21 hour course soon my friend and I are interested, maybe a few of us could do it together.
                                      EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

August 27, 2013, 02:51 PM #45

ThisGuy Offline

Just did the written test.

If anyone is planning on doing the 21 hour course soon my friend and I are interested, maybe a few of us could do it together.
                                        I'm already booked for Sept 4 (Wednesday) 6-10pm,  Sept 7 (Saturday) 8:30-5pm,  Sept 8 (Sunday) 8:30-5pm if you're interested in doing the course.  Make sure you have all the gear though as they won't let you take the course without it.  Gear needed - Helmet, gloves (full fingered), boots (ankle high), riding jacket (leather, or textile), and pants (you can use jeans if you don't have riding pants).

On another note, all my gear showed up today from www.canadasmotorcycle.ca definitely impressed with their service both turn-around time and free shipping.  Products I ordered are great quality, I'll post a review later on.

Congrats on the written test you have just passed the idiot part of the Class 6  :lol:

August 27, 2013, 06:40 PM #46

99blackSE Offline

Hopefully I'll be teaching the course next year.
                                          2011 CBR 250RA

August 27, 2013, 09:52 PM #47

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by Residential_Nerd
                                            I'm already booked for Sept 4 (Wednesday) 6-10pm,  Sept 7 (Saturday) 8:30-5pm,  Sept 8 (Sunday) 8:30-5pm if you're interested in doing the course.  Make sure you have all the gear though as they won't let you take the course without it.  Gear needed - Helmet, gloves (full fingered), boots (ankle high), riding jacket (leather, or textile), and pants (you can use jeans if you don't have riding pants).

On another note, all my gear showed up today from www.canadasmotorcycle.ca definitely impressed with their service both turn-around time and free shipping.  Products I ordered are great quality, I'll post a review later on.

Congrats on the written test you have just passed the idiot part of the Class 6  :lol:

I may be joining you if I can get all the gear in time. I'm trying to find a helmet that I can use for auto cross and riding, but I can't find the SNELL rating on canadasmotorcycle website.

And will something like this work for a jacket?
                                            http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-pdx-hi-visibility-jacket.html
                                            EH3 in the making.

August 27, 2013, 10:16 PM #48

ThisGuy Offline

I may be joining you if I can get all the gear in time. I'm trying to find a helmet that I can use for auto cross and riding, but I can't find the SNELL rating on canadasmotorcycle website.

And will something like this work for a jacket?
                                              http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/icon-pdx-hi-visibility-jacket.html
                                              You can probably get it in time but will need to order it expedited be prepared to pay a bit extra for quicker shipping.  That jacket should work, but remember you will likely do the majority of your riding in the summer in good weather, that looks like a heavy jacket.

They should all be Snell certified, but when in doubt call them during the business hours. I would order tomorrow if I were you though.

Why not get something like this http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/fly-trekker-helmet.html

Quote (selected)
                                              Helmet which meets or exceeds DOT standard; Full fingered gloves; Boots; that cover the ankle, must have a heel and rubber soles (high heels or cowboy boots will not be accepted); Sturdy Jacket, Leather, Textile, Denim or better; Sturdy Pants, Denim or better (Nylon jackets and sweat pants will not be accepted); Eye protection; Full face visors, Goggles, or Approved safety glasses (Regular Glasses or Sunglasses will not be accepted as protection); 6M Beginners License with license photo. Students without proper gear will be sent home with no refund. Courses run regardless of weather conditions be prepared, dress accordingly. (HELMETS ARE MANDATORY - NO EXCEPTIONS)

As long as your gear meets the above quote you're good.
                                              Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:18 PM by Residential_Nerd

August 30, 2013, 07:17 PM #49

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by Residential_Nerd
                                                You can probably get it in time but will need to order it expedited be prepared to pay a bit extra for quicker shipping.  That jacket should work, but remember you will likely do the majority of your riding in the summer in good weather, that looks like a heavy jacket.

They should all be Snell certified, but when in doubt call them during the business hours. I would order tomorrow if I were you though.

Why not get something like this http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/fly-trekker-helmet.html

As long as your gear meets the above quote you're good.

Just picked up my Helmet and Jacket here in Minneapolis for a combined grand total of $337. I still need to buy boots, but don't know which ones to get. Is anything with a rubber sole that covers your ankle considered a "boot" for the course? Can you wear boots that aren't sold by bike companies?

Need some input before I leave the Twin Cities.

Thanks.

EDIT: Will these work? http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/joe-rocket-sonic-shoes.html
                                                Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 07:46 PM by Matthew
                                                EH3 in the making.

Top Tier Imports

So, You want to get on a Motorcycle? [How-To]
                                                  « Reply #49 on: August 30, 2013, 07:17 PM »