Author Topic: So, You want to get on a Motorcycle? [How-To]  (Read 8346 times)

August 30, 2013, 08:52 PM #50

ThisGuy Offline

• Vehicle: 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • ThisGuy has no influence.
Originally posted by Matthew
Just picked up my Helmet and Jacket here in Minneapolis for a combined grand total of $337. I still need to buy boots, but don't know which ones to get. Is anything with a rubber sole that covers your ankle considered a "boot" for the course? Can you wear boots that aren't sold by bike companies?

Need some input before I leave the Twin Cities.

Thanks.

EDIT: Will these work? http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/joe-rocket-sonic-shoes.html

Those probably won't because they don't cover your ankle, and look like they have a flat sole,  I bought these http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tourmaster-response-waterproof-2-0-boots.html  very light and comfortable boots. 

Top Tier Imports

So, You want to get on a Motorcycle? [How-To]
    « Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 08:52 PM »

August 30, 2013, 09:30 PM #51

Matthew Offline

• Vehicle: '92 EH3, '05 Ranger, '00 Silverado, '00 EX250
    • Reputation Power: 82
    • Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
    Originally posted by Residential_Nerd
    Those probably won't because they don't cover your ankle, and look like they have a flat sole,  I bought these http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/tourmaster-response-waterproof-2-0-boots.html  very light and comfortable boots. 

Those look good, I'll grab a pair of those. Thanks man! I'll have to register for the October course as I missed the registration for the 16th, as I wanted to make sure I had all the gear before I signed up :'(
    EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

Been someones avatar count: 7

August 31, 2013, 12:08 AM #52

99blackSE Offline

• Vehicle: Two wheels, wrecked wheels, four wheels.
      • Reputation Power: 16
      • 99blackSE has no influence.
      Work boots should even suffice for the course.
      2005 Grand Prix GTP Comp G
      2001 Silverado Z71 - workhorse
      2011 CBR 250RA

August 31, 2013, 08:38 AM #53

ThisGuy Offline

Those look good, I'll grab a pair of those. Thanks man! I'll have to register for the October course as I missed the registration for the 16th, as I wanted to make sure I had all the gear before I signed up :'(
        No problem man.  Don't feel too bad about doing the course later, I did the same waited till my gear was confirmed shipped before booking the course.  Good on you for getting all the gear.  Get used to it, and make sure you wear it even when you're going down the street.

It's not all bad though this way next year in July you will be able to take the road test for your full licence.

I just placed another order with my bigger sized riding pants, and some new gloves.  I have a set of these Scorpion Cool Hand Mesh Gloves  size XL that will be for sale after next weekend if you're interested?  I'd let them go for $30.  They are almost brand new, just don't fit me as well as I would like, but they will be fine for me to use at the course.
        Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:49 AM by Residential_Nerd

August 31, 2013, 07:38 PM #54

Matthew Offline

• Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.Matthew is a force to reckon with.
          No problem man.  Don't feel too bad about doing the course later, I did the same waited till my gear was confirmed shipped before booking the course.  Good on you for getting all the gear.  Get used to it, and make sure you wear it even when you're going down the street.

It's not all bad though this way next year in July you will be able to take the road test for your full licence.

I just placed another order with my bigger sized riding pants, and some new gloves.  I have a set of these Scorpion Cool Hand Mesh Gloves  size XL that will be for sale after next weekend if you're interested?  I'd let them go for $30.  They are almost brand new, just don't fit me as well as I would like, but they will be fine for me to use at the course.

Thanks, I figured it'd be a good idea to buy some quality gear that I can later use, instead of buying a bunch of cheap stuff and deciding not to wear it because it doesn't fit properly, etc. Just bought gloves today actually, and unfortunately XL will never fit me haha.

Next step is to convince my parents not to kick me out of the house if I come home with a bike. They're not even aware I'm taking the course but I'm 20, and my mom was skeptical of auto-cross until I told her it was just around cones.

Regardless, actually having a license NOW is beneficial, especially if I want to ride later on. Saves me the hassle of doing the course later down the road. Wish me luck with my parents!
          EH3 in the making.

[May 26 14:52:31] ACiFiC:matt u r so cute i wish u were under my covers :3 :3 :3 :3 xoxo

September 01, 2013, 10:11 AM #55

ThisGuy Offline

Just show them you can be responsible and respect the power,  while you can't always make everyone else drive safely you can do your best to make sure you do.

My parents are the same way and I'm 27 albeit I'm living in my own home.  Moms always worry about their kids.

Good luck to you!  Maybe we can get out for a ride next season.  It appears you are starting off right with the right gear and research.  Just don't take it for granted.

Cheers.

September 02, 2013, 04:16 PM #56

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
              • Reputation Power: 38
              • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
              Respecting the power has nothing to do with it. Without experience, bad throttle, clutch, and brake control on an improperly sized bike (for the person) will easily toss you over the bars or accelerate you into a curb.

Ask this dude. I bet this was his first bike.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Crash-shuts-northbound-Main-at-Market-221304891.html

Good job on the gear though. Lets hope you signed up for the 21h course. Ride safe
              Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:18 PM by boostfreak
              BNRJAMZ
              '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
              Originally posted by: Igor
              i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

September 03, 2013, 06:05 PM #57

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by boostfreak
                Respecting the power has nothing to do with it. Without experience, bad throttle, clutch, and brake control on an improperly sized bike (for the person) will easily toss you over the bars or accelerate you into a curb.

Ask this dude. I bet this was his first bike.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Crash-shuts-northbound-Main-at-Market-221304891.html

Good job on the gear though. Lets hope you signed up for the 21h course. Ride safe

Completely agree. I plan on buying a CBR125R, as I don't want anything I won't be able to safely ride. Strongly agree with working your way up.

I plan on taking the 21h course, but my parents aren't having any of it. My Mom said we'd talk about it in the Spring, so hopefully next summer I'll have my license. It sucks but I have to respect my parents if I'm going to live under their roof.

Oh well, at least I've got the gear and a helmet that is Snell approved for Auto cross.
                EH3 in the making.

September 03, 2013, 06:05 PM #58

Matthew Offline

[deleted]
                  EH3 in the making.

September 03, 2013, 08:13 PM #59

ThisGuy Offline

Ahh parents, mine (again I'm 27, married, and own a home) have tried every trick in the book to keep me off a bike...

My wife is cool with it though, she just doesn't want me to get hurt.  For what it's worth I just picked up my first bike, a 2013 Ninja 300 SE, yes I bought it used.

September 04, 2013, 10:45 AM #60

Matthew Offline

Ahh parents, mine (again I'm 27, married, and own a home) have tried every trick in the book to keep me off a bike...

My wife is cool with it though, she just doesn't want me to get hurt.  For what it's worth I just picked up my first bike, a 2013 Ninja 300 SE, yes I bought it used.

Lucky you! Congrats on the Ninja, maybe in the spring I'll have my license and hopefully a CBR too.
                      EH3 in the making.

October 09, 2013, 10:40 AM #61

Robyn Offline

• Vehicle: N/A :(
                        • Reputation Power: 1
                        • Robyn has no influence.

Wow, there is a lot of super useful info on here that I wouldn't have either wise known! Awesome :) I've been Questioning taking the test/course for a while now, I don't have the time or money now, but during the summer would be nice

October 09, 2013, 10:36 PM #62

ThisGuy Offline

Originally posted by Robyn

Wow, there is a lot of super useful info on here that I wouldn't have either wise known! Awesome :) I've been Questioning taking the test/course for a while now, I don't have the time or money now, but during the summer would be nice
                          Do it in the spring, this way you have the entire summer to ride and get some good seat time.

I've been riding for almost 2 months now and I love every minute of it.  So much fun :)

October 09, 2013, 11:06 PM #63

Matthew Offline

Do it in the spring, this way you have the entire summer to ride and get some good seat time.

I've been riding for almost 2 months now and I love every minute of it.  So much fun :)

My friend ended up getting his license and bought a CBR600RR! Looks awesome, I'm probably getting a CBR125 or 250 to learn on in the Spring once I finish the course that my parents finally agreed to. Hows the ninja?!
                            EH3 in the making.

October 10, 2013, 02:52 PM #64

99blackSE Offline

• Vehicle: Two wheels, wrecked wheels, four wheels.
                              • Reputation Power: 16
                              • 99blackSE has no influence.
                              If you have the time I would go for your learners now.  That way when spring does hit you're not trying to get into a class or buy a bike and are unable to ride it until you complete your course.  Also, by getting your learner's now you don't have to wait as long to take your road test for your 6I or 6F, although in a sense more riding time from when you get your 6L to the road test would be ideal.
                              2005 Grand Prix GTP Comp G
                              2001 Silverado Z71 - workhorse
                              2011 CBR 250RA

October 10, 2013, 04:59 PM #65

Matthew Offline

Originally posted by 99blackSE
                                If you have the time I would go for your learners now.  That way when spring does hit you're not trying to get into a class or buy a bike and are unable to ride it until you complete your course.  Also, by getting your learner's now you don't have to wait as long to take your road test for your 6I or 6F, although in a sense more riding time from when you get your 6L to the road test would be ideal.

Last safety course was on October 8th unfortunately! Would be ideal, as winter counts as months towards your 6I & 6F as you said!
                                EH3 in the making.

October 10, 2013, 09:37 PM #66

ThisGuy Offline

My friend ended up getting his license and bought a CBR600RR! Looks awesome, I'm probably getting a CBR125 or 250 to learn on in the Spring once I finish the course that my parents finally agreed to. Hows the ninja?!
                                  Ninja is awesome.  Last tank of gas was 62MPG in stop and go traffic city riding :D  and that was giving it a bit too.

Though I could probably have some fun on a 636, maybe in a few more summers for now the 300 is fun.

I would stay away from the CBR125 if I were you, its a little small to ride highway with, though it is a great city bike.  Go with a 250.  What are you looking to spend on a bike?

October 14, 2013, 03:31 PM #67

Matthew Offline

Ninja is awesome.  Last tank of gas was 62MPG in stop and go traffic city riding :D  and that was giving it a bit too.

Though I could probably have some fun on a 636, maybe in a few more summers for now the 300 is fun.

I would stay away from the CBR125 if I were you, its a little small to ride highway with, though it is a great city bike.  Go with a 250.  What are you looking to spend on a bike?

Yeah, leaning towards a 250, I've weighed out the pro's and con's and thought i'd be nice to have something I could use on the highway if need be. Girlfriend lives in La Salle so going there on my bike would be nice once in a while.

I have my car that I'm "rebuilding" with quality parts, and my truck, so at this point the amount of money I want to spend is solely how much I'll have come spring. If I only have enough to pay for the course and buy a 125, I'll probably do that and upgrade to a 250 for next year. If I can scrounge up $4k come spring then a 250 here I come!
                                    EH3 in the making.

January 30, 2014, 03:33 PM #68

boostfreak Offline

• Vehicle: Meatball
                                      • Reputation Power: 38
                                      • boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.boostfreak is working their way up.
                                      Just to provide a seasonal bump to this thread.

Everything here is posted with her permission.

As some of you know, the importance of ATGATT (all the gear all the time) was driven home sharply for me this past September, when Aryn was involved in a single vehicle accident North of Lac du Bonnet. Aryn was traveling through some curves at about 80km/h, nothing out of her ability, and certainly nothing new to her (our group loves to ride this particular road).

As for what happened, nobody will ever know. Animal jumped out maybe. No idea.

Aryn rode off the side of the road, tumbling end over end before coming to a stop in some trees, not 3 feet in front of a large rock face (from blasting for the road).

I was the first one to get to her, barely conscious. No reception up there, so if it wasn't for the guy who pulled over minutes later with a satellite phone, she wouldn't be here. The ambulance arrived a while later, and then she was finally air lifted to HSC with broken teeth, ribs, shoulder, and other injuries.

This is her a few days after the accident.

For those who have her on FB and whatever else, you know she made a tremendous recovery and was released from care about 3 months later.

Aryn was wearing every piece of gear from head to toe. She has only one scar on her head (from surgery) and a small scar on her knee. But most of all she is alive, and miraculously will be returning to work in the next month or so.

Like I said in my original post, I can't tell you what gear to wear or how to ride. That's your choice. But don't do this to your loved ones, friends, family, etc. You aren't invincible.

Ride safe dudes.
                                      BNRJAMZ
                                      '13 Fiat 500 Turbo
                                      Originally posted by: Igor
                                      i don't know why you would want to say its an sti, especially around people that know what they are looking at. like buddy, its a wrx, who cares. personally i find it insulting that he calls it an sti

January 30, 2014, 05:51 PM #69

SpeedPls Offline

• Vehicle: BCNR33 V-Spec
                                        • Reputation Power: 69
                                        • SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!SpeedPls is a rising star!
                                        Originally posted by boostfreak
                                        For those who have her on FB and whatever else, you know she made a tremendous recovery and was released from care about 3 months later.

Aryn was wearing every piece of gear from head to toe. She has only one scar on her head (from surgery) and a small scar on her knee. But most of all she is alive, and miraculously will be returning to work in the next month or so.

Like I said in my original post, I can't tell you what gear to wear or how to ride. That's your choice. But don't do this to your loved ones, friends, family, etc. You aren't invincible.

Ride safe dudes.

Wow I had no idea this happened. I was wondering why she disappeared from the forum a while ago. I'm so glad to hear she made a full recovery!!

This is a good reminder as to how important proper gear is.
                                        My Flickr

1995 Skyline GTR V-Spec
                                        1991 Skyline GTR - sold
                                        1995 Skyline GTR - sold

February 03, 2014, 10:15 AM #70

j.onathan Offline

• Vehicle: 06 Sierra CCSB, '89 240sx 7mgte swapped
                                          • Reputation Power: 31
                                          • j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.j.onathan is working their way up.
                                          That's scary, glad to hear she's making a full recovery. 

This is the second bad crash I have heard of last year and it actually frightens me, sport bikes are extremely dangerous even in the most skilled operators hands.

June 02, 2014, 06:26 PM #71

Beach Offline

• Vehicle: Cayman S
                                            • Reputation Power: 3
                                            • Beach has no influence.
                                            June bump!

So i'm doing my written next Tuesday, and plan to (hopefully) get into the course this year. Just fishing around looking at various bikes and sponging up as much information as possible.

Would a CBR500R be okay for a beginner? I'm looking at that and a Kawi 300. I certainly like the look of the Kawi better, but as a first bike I know looks are not a priority. From what I could read regarding reviews of the two, most seem to prefer the 500R over the Kawi 300, i'm just wondering if maybe it's abit too much for a beginner? I have zero bike experience, and do not want to go outside my realm of safety, even though several people keep telling me to get a Kawi 650 minimum. (Won't happen)

June 03, 2014, 09:03 PM #72

TypeRFD Offline

• Vehicle: 1992 Rx-7 Type R
                                              • Reputation Power: 1
                                              • TypeRFD has no influence.
                                              Honestly it really comes down to how confident you are, and what kind of riding youll be doing. Personally I think the 500s or even 600s are good bikes to start since there easy to control, and also still have the power to have fun. Smaller bikes are fantastic too but can be "out grown" pretty quickly. No matter what it all comes down to who's riding the bike! If your smart and careful any bike will be fine to ride!

June 03, 2014, 10:47 PM #73

Juan Offline

• Vehicle: FRS
                                                • Reputation Power: 26
                                                • Juan barely matters.Juan barely matters.
                                                I started off with a gsxr 600 when i was just 18 and upgraded to a r1 in the same year. The gsxr was cool because there were different power settings. For me the r1 was the more comfortable bike, i just fit on it better. I wouldnt start off with a 250 or 300 because (as stated above) they would be outgrown fairly quickly.
                                                FAHRVERGNÜGEN

June 05, 2014, 09:49 PM #74

Beach Offline

• Vehicle: Cayman S
                                                  • Reputation Power: 3
                                                  • Beach has no influence.
                                                  Im curious how people outgrow bikes so quickly...even a 300 would kick my cayman s' s 0-60 to pieces. Not that my cayman is a "fast car" , but still - how do you get bored so quickly?!

Top Tier Imports

So, You want to get on a Motorcycle? [How-To]
                                                    « Reply #74 on: June 05, 2014, 09:49 PM »