Author Topic: DIY: 1994 Skyline R33 GTS25T DIY DOT Headlights  (Read 2685 times)

May 25, 2013, 04:41 PM #0

OMGzilla Offline

• Vehicle: 1994 Skyline GTS25T
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • OMGzilla has no influence.
Hello all,
I've gotten requests to post a DIY on here for the headlight build for my car...this is my first DIY, and unfortunately, I have a limited number of pics, but here goes:

First off, I removed the stock headlights from the car, and disassembled them using the "bake open" technique described in many places...if you're not aware of this technique, I suggest google. Here is what the lights look like with the lenses, reflector buckets, etc. removed:

After measuring the overall size of the Integra lights, I transferred those measurements to the Skyline headlight bucket, and cut the back out to accommodate the new lights:

Once the Skyline headlight buckets were cut out enough to house the integra lights, I set the lights into the buckets, ensuring that the alignment was in line with the tracking of the car...this meant a few trips to and from the car to ensure they were aligned correctly. Then, using a soldering iron and some of the plastic cut from the buckets, I plastic welded the Integra lights into the skyline buckets:

The Integra lights stuck out further than the Skyline lenses, so this meant the lenses needed to be cut out to accommodate the lenses protruding through them. This is where a lot of under-cutting and trimming was involved to make sure I didn't cut out too much material:
Stock lens marked up for the cut:

This lens was cut out around the edge from a different previous attempt at retrofitting, and had to be welded back together, hence the messed-up looking edges:

Once the lenses were cut to size, there were gaps between the lens of the Integra lights and the Skyline lenses. This was filled using some crescent-shaped shrouds cut from some ABS I had kicking around. I wish I had pictures of the shrouds themselves, but the pics were lost with my old phone. (sorry) Here is a pic with the shrouds installed with the lenses and nearly final assembled:

The lenses were masked off to protect them from the body filler stage, which was next:

Once the body filler was sanded smooth, the headlights were painted flat black (because my bodywork skills leave something to be desired)

The headlights were installed in the car, and aligned using the stock Integra adjustment screws. All the adjustability is still there, as is the integrity of the lights, as basically all I did was cut off the mounting points, graft new ones on (Skyline buckets), and add shrouds for aesthetics. The mechanics at Birchwood Nissan were very impressed with the fit and function, and I've been pulled over a few times, and cops have nothing to say about the lights.
Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:55 AM by Ænimal

Top Tier Imports

DIY: 1994 Skyline R33 GTS25T DIY DOT Headlights
    « on: May 25, 2013, 04:41 PM »

May 25, 2013, 05:29 PM #1

Nismoline Offline

• Vehicle: R32 GTR
    • Reputation Power: 108
    • Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.
    i know this is for the headlights but where did you pick up the lens for the tail lights?
    Jdm parking fo life!
    #driven2016

May 25, 2013, 05:31 PM #2

TonyPajamaz Offline

• Vehicle: 2012 Audi A4, 1996 Mazda MX-5 Miata
      • Reputation Power: 78
      • TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.TonyPajamaz has a powerful will.
      Originally posted by Nismoline
      i know this is for the headlights but where did you pick up the lens for the tail lights?

Canadian tire has just the lens' that you can use on the R32. They also sell the whole round led trailer light that you can wire up and use in place of the stock R33 tails.

Good write up Rob, These are a very nice alternative to using dodge avenger headlights. They look really good in person!
      [Jan 01 21:16:06] Faken:most steady hand/10

[Sep 23 14:27:56] Faken:i was focusing on dan's bum

May 25, 2013, 05:58 PM #3

OMGzilla Offline

The tail lights are stand alone led trailer lights from command electronics. They're a 5.4" light, which is almost the exact dimension of the stock lenses. Then I wired in a trailer light adapter to have the outer lights work as turn signals, and blacked out the original units.

May 25, 2013, 06:35 PM #4

Nismoline Offline

• Vehicle: R32 GTR
          • Reputation Power: 108
          • Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.Nismoline has an aura about them.
          I picked up some lens from pa but they were to small. Time to go look at ct. I have a extra set of tails I am gonna make dot
          Jdm parking fo life!
          #driven2016

May 25, 2013, 11:23 PM #5

stuntman5656 Offline

• Vehicle: R33, 300ZX TT, Stagea, 190E AMG
            • Reputation Power: 4
            • stuntman5656 has no influence.
            Great write up. May I ask on which days of the week u got pulled over?

May 26, 2013, 01:55 AM #6

OMGzilla Offline

Originally posted by stuntman5656
              Great write up. May I ask on which days of the week u got pulled over?
              usually Sundays...go figure.lol

May 26, 2013, 04:48 AM #7

stuntman5656 Offline

• Vehicle: R33, 300ZX TT, Stagea, 190E AMG
                • Reputation Power: 4
                • stuntman5656 has no influence.
                Haha that's why I don't take my car out on Sundays. Not worth the risk

May 26, 2013, 08:07 AM #8

OMGzilla Offline

it's also why I made sure my car was legit on EVERYTHING...I wanted to make sure I could take it out on Sundays without worry. There are usually lots of shows and stuff on Sundays, and I didn't want to have to leave my car at home just because I'm worried about some cop with a chip on his shoulder for rhd's.

May 26, 2013, 11:22 AM #9

JayPe3 Offline

• Vehicle: 2010 Toyota Tundra SR5
                    • Reputation Power: 67
                    • JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!JayPe3 is a rising star!
                    Looks good Rob!

May 26, 2013, 11:46 AM #10

robot Offline

• Vehicle: JDM 98 Subaru Legacy GT-B (BH5)
                      • Reputation Power: 5
                      • robot has no influence.
                      You beat me too it. Im still going to do my wright up. A different take on it.

Top Tier Imports

Re: 1994 Skyline R33 GTS25T DIY DOT Headlights
                        « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 11:46 AM »